PDA

View Full Version : Shareef becomes assistant coach

Beno7500
10-01-2008, 06:17 PM
SACRAMENTO, CA - Shareef Abdur-Rahim will be on the Sacramento sidelines, but as an assistant coach, the Kings announced Wednesday.

The 31-year-old, 12-year NBA veteran announced his retirement from professional basketball and the Kings last week. Abdur-Rahim was bothered by knee injuries in recent years. Following surgery he sat out the 2007-2008 season.

Abdur-Rahim played two years for Sacramento, after stints with the Vancouver Grizzlies, Atlanta Hawks, and Portland Trail Blazers. He averaged 18.1 points, 7.5 rebounds and 2.5 assists per game in his playing years.
News10.net (http://www.news10.net/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=48506&catid=2)

Randy West
10-01-2008, 06:58 PM
Glad to see the Kings still have a place for SAR

I like the fact he will still be involved in basketball to some degree.........it seems to be a passion of his.

sacgiants1213
10-01-2008, 09:36 PM
good to see. def will teach thompson and hawes some nice post moves.

Kyle N.
10-01-2008, 09:57 PM
That's hecka sick. Shareef is just an all around good guy and the kind of person the Kings could use on the coaching staff.

Pipes
10-01-2008, 11:56 PM
That's awsome...:up: I'm glad to see that the "Shareef" is still in town!...:laugh2:

Kyle N.
10-02-2008, 01:17 AM
That's awsome...:up: I'm glad to see that the "Shareef" is still in town!...:laugh2:

Yeah. It's cool that he is showing loyalty to the team. Apperently he liked playing here and wants to continue as a coach. Maybe that will shine some more good light on us as an organization.

RocketsRule
10-02-2008, 01:24 AM
Good to know, I think he can really help the development of some of our bigs.

Shareef is a great guy, I actually saw him a couple days ago. He seems he like loves Sacramento a lot...

Beno7500
10-02-2008, 01:29 AM
where did you see him

DerekRE_3
10-02-2008, 01:56 AM
I've seen him at Starbucks, Chipotle, and I saw him outside of The Habit in Granite Bay (where I live, it's like 20 min east of Sac). He lives in my neighborhood actually. I see his black Range Rover all the time. He's a really good guy. One of the classiest in the NBA.

Kyle N.
10-02-2008, 02:23 AM
I've seen him at Starbucks, Chipotle, and I saw him outside of The Habit in Granite Bay (where I live, it's like 20 min east of Sac). He lives in my neighborhood actually. I see his black Range Rover all the time. He's a really good guy. One of the classiest in the NBA.

And that's the reason it's such an honor to have him on the coaching staff.

sacgiants1213
10-02-2008, 03:35 AM
i miss scotty brooks

Pipes
10-02-2008, 03:56 PM
And that's the reason it's such an honor to have him on the coaching staff.

I'm not sure it's a "honor"... but it's still nice to see him get a oppourtunity to stay....

kfranks22
10-02-2008, 04:17 PM
I'm not sure it's a "honor"... but it's still nice to see him get a oppourtunity to stay....

Lol, I agree, to me an honor would be if Oscar Robertson came to your house for dinner and just sat and talked to you about the art of the assist, not an average power forward retiring and staying on as a coach. With that being said, it is very cool to see him stay on and I believe he could be a great asset to the team.

Kyle N.
10-02-2008, 05:52 PM
Ok, not exactly an "honor" but you know what I mean. It's "cool" that a person of such good character like Shareef wants to coach for us.

Catfish1314
10-02-2008, 05:56 PM
I like this move.

Shareef is a former 20 and 10 big man and we've got two young, promising bigs on our bench. I like it.

Randy West
10-02-2008, 06:12 PM
I like this move.

Shareef is a former 20 and 10 big man and we've got two young, promising bigs on our bench. I like it.

Agreed

I think SAR was better than an "average" big man

and he should help our young bigs become better than average I would expect

DerekRE_3
10-02-2008, 06:17 PM
Agreed

I think SAR was better than an "average" big man

and he should help our young bigs become better than average I would expect

Shareef was so smooth in the post back in the day. I'm really glad to have him on the staff. I wish we would have got Corliss to stay with the organization when he retired. I think he's an assistant for a small D1 college now.

Randy West
10-02-2008, 06:25 PM
Shareef was so smooth in the post back in the day. I'm really glad to have him on the staff. I wish we would have got Corliss to stay with the organization when he retired. I think he's an assistant for a small D1 college now.

Yeah Corliss would have been cool........but he played more of the SF position

I think SAR with all his different post moves and the way he played with his back to the basket was the right choice as far as a coach is concerned

Now if we could just figure a way to get our newer bigs on the floor to get some time

I was just reading the Bee article about how terrible Green's defensive capabilities are right now. You know Reggie is not going to let the guy play much if he can't defend. Hopefully they have someone working the film room and going over some things with him.

We know he can score the ball........but we also know Reggie just is not going to hand out minutes.

Pipes
10-02-2008, 06:55 PM
Lol, I agree, to me an honor would be if Oscar Robertson came to your house for dinner and just sat and talked to you about the art of the assist, not an average power forward retiring and staying on as a coach. With that being said, it is very cool to see him stay on and I believe he could be a great asset to the team.

...:laugh2:...yes that would a "true honor"...:laugh2:

DerekRE_3
10-02-2008, 07:56 PM
]Yeah Corliss would have been cool........but he played more of the SF position
[/B]
I think SAR with all his different post moves and the way he played with his back to the basket was the right choice as far as a coach is concerned

Now if we could just figure a way to get our newer bigs on the floor to get some time

I was just reading the Bee article about how terrible Green's defensive capabilities are right now. You know Reggie is not going to let the guy play much if he can't defend. Hopefully they have someone working the film room and going over some things with him.

We know he can score the ball........but we also know Reggie just is not going to hand out minutes.

I didnt mean as a position coach. Just as an assistant.