PDA

View Full Version : What would you do? Part 3

Eicholtz
10-01-2008, 05:19 PM
With the outfield getting crowded Markakis, Jones, Scott, Montanez, Reimold something has to give. Also someone even wrote in about the young OF Xavier Avery (years down the line).

So will Payton be the odd man out?

Will Luke move over to DH?

What would be the trickle down effect of that?

That could effect where Huff if not traded plays next year and if Millar is even on the team next year.

Then there is the situation behind the plate. With Wieters breathing down Ramon's neck and not only that but "in his neighborhood" (Mercury Morris quote). What will Ramon's role be and when and if he is or isn't moved?

So there are some bonafide questions and scenerios out there. So with that said what would you do?

Jay Payton

Ramon Hernandez

Melvin Mora

Luke Scott

OF Situation

Catching Situation

CrazyPills
10-01-2008, 06:37 PM
With the outfield getting crowded Markakis, Jones, Scott, Montanez, Reimold something has to give. Also someone even wrote in about the young OF Xavier Avery (years down the line).

So will Payton be the odd man out?

Will Luke move over to DH?

What would be the trickle down effect of that?

That could effect where Huff if not traded plays next year and if Millar is even on the team next year.

Then there is the situation behind the plate. With Wieters breathing down Ramon's neck and not only that but "in his neighborhood" (Mercury Morris quote). What will Ramon's role be and when and if he is or isn't moved?

So there are some bonafide questions and scenerios out there. So with that said what would you do?

Jay Payton

Ramon Hernandez

Melvin Mora

Luke Scott

OF Situation

Catching Situation

Jay Payton will be traded for basically nothing this winter.

Hernandez will begin the season splitting time between catcher, 1B, and DH. If we are unable to get any value for him at the deadline, they will hold on to him for the remainder, then let him go next offseason.

Mora will start at 3B till somebody better comes through the system or he retires. He has a no trade clause and we won't sign someone to replace him while he is still under contract. Most likely scenario has him retiring around the same time a young(er) player becomes ready to take over.

Luke Scott will split time between DH and LF, sharing left with Montanez. When Reimold is ready, he will take over Left. At that point Scott will become the full-time DH or be traded for a mid-level prospect or two (will play out by '10 season.) I like Montanez, but he is better suited as a 4th outfielder--not as a full-time starter.

Wieters will begin the year in triple A--for contract reasons mostly (think Longoria.) Within 4 to 6 weeks he will take over primary catching duties for the big club with Hernandez subbing every 3rd or 4th game.

bigity b
10-01-2008, 07:59 PM
I think CrazyPills read my previous posts - and i agree with most of it. (ps. funny you have a redskin photo because when I read crazypills I thought of TO and his 27 million reasons to live. hahahaha)

So will Payton be the odd man out? Yes.

Will Luke move over to DH? Depends on how we clean up the millar/huff situation. Huff will stay at DH. If Huff plays first, Scott is DH. I know Huff is great and all (yawn) but by trading him, you could get a few prospects back AND open up a roster spot for one of those mlb ready prospects.

Then there is the situation behind the plate. With Wieters breathing down Ramon's neck and not only that but "in his neighborhood" (Mercury Morris quote). What will Ramon's role be and when and if he is or isn't moved? Hernandez will be the back-up catcher for the 1st half of the year (or whenever they call up weiters) because his experience and knowledge to pass along is too valuable to waste. IF he can play 1st, great, it only increases his value mid-season.

Jay Payton - see above

Ramon Hernandez - see above

Melvin Mora - not worth getting rid of. Keep.

Luke Scott - see above

OF Situation - see above

Catching Situation - see above

Billy Griffin
10-03-2008, 11:11 AM
Look,
The Orioles have tried everything and everybody....
to plug talent into the holes that exist.
It hasn't worked.
We still had the worst record in the east.
I propose the Orioles trade all the vets for AAA and AA prospects.

vetoedbyangelos
10-06-2008, 05:05 PM
I thought Jay Payton was a free agent after this year? If that's the case (and I'm pretty sure it is), he still believes he's an everyday player - and he didn't like being our fourth outfielder, which he would be again. Plus, his salary demands are too high.

Ramon Hernandez might be a good teacher - but I don't think so. A lot of questions have been raised about his personal make-up and his lack of professionalism on the diamond, especially the part about running out ground balls. Do we want him influencing Wieters? I'm not sure we do. He doesn't seem all that happy in Baltimore, and maybe a change of scenery will help revitalize him. I think the Orioles should sign Gregg Zaun during the off-season. He's got experiencing working with guys like Halladay, Marcum, and Burnett. He's a back-up at this point in his career, and I don't think Hernandez is. Hopefully, what I've heard about Hernandez is wrong - but I'm not sure it is.

Melvin Mora has that no-trade clause, and frankly, I don't see him going anywhere. I do think he's a big candidate to regress in 2009, and we need to get a ML-ready third base prospect in here to back him up. Obviously, Scott Moore and Mike Costanzo are not the answer - so what do we do? Maybe the Orioles would be able to trade him to a contender around the deadline, if he allows - that way he gets a shot at the playoffs. The man deserves it. I don't think we'll get that chance though. This would've been the year to do it, with Lowell and Longoria both suffering injuries in the heat of a pennant race. I doubt we'll get another chance, unless somebody wants him as an outfielder (shrug).

I think the Orioles should trade Luke Scott. I like his production, but he's not an RBI man. He hit home runs, usually when the bases are empty. He isn't good with runners in scoring position, either. I would like to see Montanez and Reimold platoon in left field - that way we can evaluate both players and let them compete with each other. It's also a good way of keeping our fourth outfielder fresh - in case somebody goes down with an injury.

blb
10-06-2008, 05:27 PM
Jay Payton - He's a free agent. Let him walk.

Ramon Hernandez - He's got the job until Wieters takes it. When Wieters moves into the starting role, Hernandez is the backup/mentor.

Melvin Mora - Stupid no-trade clauses. Mora could have been a valuable piece when he was tearing it up down the stretch. He'll be 37 in February, but there's no one else that's ready at this point. Hopefully Scott Moore or Mike Costanzo (or Billy Rowell further down the road) will step it up and talk the O's out of picking up Mora's 2010 option.

Luke Scott - He's the starting left fielder until Nolan Reimold takes his job. Then he moves to DH, where he's much better suited. Hopefully the O's won't resign Kevin Millar, which would make Scott's move to DH a little more complicated.

OF Situation - See above. Adam Jones and Nick Markakis are cemented in center and right until further notice. Lou Montanez had a nice season in AAA, but unfortunately for him, AAA isn't the majors. He's the fourth outfielder unless he proves he's capable of handling an everyday job.

Catching Situation - See Ramon Hernandez.