PDA

View Full Version : Could Phil Jackson, put a team like the Rockets, Hornets, Mavs or Suns over the top?

JordansBulls
10-01-2008, 04:02 PM
Could Phil Jackson put a team like the Rockets, Hornets, Mavericks or Suns over the top?

It's interesting to note that Phil Jackson is tied for the most titles ever as a coach. However, in route to winning titles he took over teams in which the teams had a superstar and then another player on the team emerged as a superstar. Also, with those same teams that he took over the teams themselves had been making the conference finals.

With that in mind, if Phil Jackson decided to coach another team that had one of the top players in the league and another star, do you think he would lead them to the title?

Examples: Houston Rockets (Yao and Mcgrady), New Orleans Hornets (CP3 with West emerging), Dallas Mavericks (Dirk with Howard a possible), Phoenix Suns (Nash and Amare)

_Sn1P3r_
10-01-2008, 04:25 PM
I think he could help any team as long as he has a really good player he can rely on.

rhino17
10-01-2008, 04:26 PM
i think a team like the rockets, yes

for the others, i dont think so.

still1ballin
10-01-2008, 04:31 PM
only in New Orleans.....his players will stay healthy throughout the year

THE NATION
10-01-2008, 04:34 PM
I think the Suns and Rockets. NO plays a different style.

barreleffact
10-01-2008, 04:35 PM
i think a team like the rockets, yes

for the others, i dont think so.

agreed. looking back, hes won with a solid 2-3 combo and a solid 2-5. houston has 2-3-and 5. definately not as dominate as either of the teams before, but its the best choice.

as much as id love to say the hornets, hes never had an elite pg on his roster. from what i understand, the triangle makes great pg's not necessary.

neither dallas nor the suns have the roster IMO.

JordansBulls
10-01-2008, 05:10 PM
agreed. looking back, hes won with a solid 2-3 combo and a solid 2-5. houston has 2-3-and 5. definately not as dominate as either of the teams before, but its the best choice.

as much as id love to say the hornets, hes never had an elite pg on his roster. from what i understand, the triangle makes great pg's not necessary.

Why would the Mavs or Suns not have the roster?

Mavs
Kidd - Star
Stackhouse - Role Player
Howard - Borderline Star
Dirk - Star
Dampier - Role Player

Diop - Rrole Player

Suns
Nash - Star
Bell - Role Player
Barnes - Role Player
Amare - Star
Shaq - Former Star

Barbosa - 6th man
Diaw - 7th man
Hill - 8th man

I don't see how either of those teams as you say don't have the roster.

Tom81
10-01-2008, 05:19 PM
I think he could help any team as long as he has a really good player he can rely on.

agreed

barreleffact
10-01-2008, 05:24 PM
Why would the Mavs or Suns not have the roster?

Mavs
Kidd - Star
Stackhouse - Role Player
Howard - Borderline Star
Dirk - Star
Dampier - Role Player

Diop - Rrole Player

Suns
Nash - Star
Bell - Role Player
Barnes - Role Player
Amare - Star
Shaq - Former Star

Barbosa - 6th man
Diaw - 7th man
Hill - 8th man

I don't see how either of those teams as you say don't have the roster.

1- both teams are on the decline
2- are you seriously arguing that either of those rosters even remotely compare with the 2 that had 4 of the 50 greatest players of all time in them? NO

the suns best player is arguably nash, who is not only on the decline, but is a pg...a non scoring pg mainly. the triangle isnt good for that. neither bell nor barnes nor hill can score in bunches regularly, or at least not on an all star caliber level. so all in all, they dont have the roster. not to fit phil jackson, and not even to seriously contend for a title unless a miracle happens.

im getting bored so i wont say too much for the mavs. basically they are on the decline. even at best, i couldnt see dirk winning with phil. maybe, but i couldnt see it. and roster wise, they arent contenders. they missed their chance in 2006. thats it gtg

JordansBulls
10-01-2008, 05:46 PM
1- both teams are on the decline
2- are you seriously arguing that either of those rosters even remotely compare with the 2 that had 4 of the 50 greatest players of all time in them? NO

the suns best player is arguably nash, who is not only on the decline, but is a pg...a non scoring pg mainly. the triangle isnt good for that. neither bell nor barnes nor hill can score in bunches regularly, or at least not on an all star caliber level. so all in all, they dont have the roster. not to fit phil jackson, and not even to seriously contend for a title unless a miracle happens.

im getting bored so i wont say too much for the mavs. basically they are on the decline. even at best, i couldnt see dirk winning with phil. maybe, but i couldnt see it. and roster wise, they arent contenders. they missed their chance in 2006. thats it gtg

Bulls won the title in 1998 with their top 3 players 35, 33 and 37 and their 2nd best player was injured for half the year and injured in the finals.

I understand that both Dallas and Phoenix are on the decline, however they do still have stars and multiple ones at that. With a coach like Phil Jackson they could do better than they ever have.

CB4AB7VC15
10-01-2008, 05:52 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
he had the 2 best players in league in pippen and jordan when he won the titles, and same with kobe and shaq. He is way too over rated. players win titles no coaches. Last year doc rivers was the worst coach in the league and soooo close gettin fired, now hes getting about 5 million per year and is considered one of the best coaches in the league.

JordansBulls
10-01-2008, 05:56 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
he had the 2 best players in league in pippen and jordan when he won the titles, and same with kobe and shaq. He is way too over rated. players win titles no coaches. Last year doc rivers was the worst coach in the league and soooo close gettin fired, now hes getting about 5 million per year and is considered one of the best coaches in the league.

He had 2 of the best players in the league at the same time, not the two best. Their is a difference.

Nighthawk
10-01-2008, 06:02 PM
Phil Jackson in my eyes is OVERRATED!

Lets just look at the teams he coached. They had Jordan, Pippen, Rodman, Harper, Kerr etc

and the Lakers he had Shaq, Kobe, Rick Fox, Harper, H. Grant, and Horry

This guy never coached a sup par team to the promise land. He is always coaching the best player on the planet. go figure.

#1Mavericksfan
10-01-2008, 06:08 PM
Phil Jackson in my eyes is OVERRATED!

Lets just look at the teams he coached. They had Jordan, Pippen, Rodman, Harper, Kerr etc

and the Lakers he had Shaq, Kobe, Rick Fox, Harper, H. Grant, and Horry

This guy never coached a sup par team to the promise land. He is always coaching the best player on the planet. go figure.

I couldn't agree with you more :clap:

CowboysKB24
10-01-2008, 06:17 PM
Phil is the best coach of all time. He coached the best player ever and probably the second best player ever. They were good for many reasons and Phil Jackson is definitely a part of it.

CB4AB7VC15
10-01-2008, 06:19 PM
He had 2 of the best players in the league at the same time, not the two best. Their is a difference.

he had the best and a top 5 player in the league in pippen.

Hawkeye15
10-01-2008, 06:26 PM

agree word for word

Hawkeye15
10-01-2008, 06:26 PM
he had the best and a top 5 player in the league in pippen.

Pippen was never a top 5 player

Hawkeye15
10-01-2008, 06:28 PM
Phil is the best coach of all time. He coached the best player ever and probably the second best player ever. They were good for many reasons and Phil Jackson is definitely a part of it.

who is the second best player ever that he coached???????

CB4AB7VC15
10-01-2008, 06:33 PM
Pippen was never a top 5 player

according to u.

CB4AB7VC15
10-01-2008, 06:36 PM
who would u consider top 5 back then?

Hawkeye15
10-01-2008, 06:43 PM
who would u consider top 5 back then?

um, in no order I guess, I think these guys were better than Pippen individually
Hakeem
Jordan
Reggie Miller
Charles Barkley
Karl Malone
John Stockton
Clyde Drexler
David Robinson
Gary Payton

These are guys who were basically Pippen's generation that I personally think are better. Bringing up titles serves no point, nobody else had MJ, who is so by far and away the best basketball player to ever play, even pairing up two guys on the list above does nothing to stop him

CB4AB7VC15
10-01-2008, 06:44 PM
i'm talking about the 90's jordan, hakeem, malone, barkley then pippen.

Hawkeye15
10-01-2008, 06:49 PM

With the exception of Miller, who was very productive into the 2000's, these are all 90's guys as far as their prime and when their teams were great. Anyways, you think he is a top 5 player, I don't. It doesn't matter. I thought Pippen was a great player, especially on defense. But he was not a complete offensive player. I just always thought he was slightly overrated. Great team player though, and MJ wouldn't have a ring without him

CB4AB7VC15
10-01-2008, 06:51 PM
miller, drexler, payton ? whats next shawn kemp, kj, grant hill, pippen has lebron numbers - the points in his prime. If he was the star of his own team he u would never ever say miller payton and drexler. all i'm saying is phil is overrated give any decent coach jordan and pippen then shaq and kobe and they'll win titles.

JordansBulls
10-01-2008, 06:59 PM

David Robinson and Shaq as well for sure. You can make a case for Stockton or Payton as well or even Drexler as he took two teams to the finals.

Hawkeye15
10-01-2008, 07:09 PM
miller, drexler, payton ? whats next shawn kemp, kj, grant hill, pippen has lebron numbers - the points in his prime. If he was the star of his own team he u would never ever say miller payton and drexler. all i'm saying is phil is overrated give any decent coach jordan and pippen then shaq and kobe and they'll win titles.

tell Doug Collins and Del Harris that. He never approached LeBron numbers one time in his entire career. And he was the star of his team for a whole year. 22-9-5, and whined on the bench when his number wasn't called in a game ending situation. He just wasn't top 5 in my mind. Nor top 50 ever, although that list needs to be updated anyways

CB4AB7VC15
10-01-2008, 07:11 PM
David Robinson and Shaq as well for sure. You can make a case for Stockton or Payton as well or even Drexler as he took two teams to the finals.

ya u can say that, its all a matter of opionion.

CB4AB7VC15
10-01-2008, 07:19 PM
tell Doug Collins and Del Harris that. He never approached LeBron numbers one time in his entire career. And he was the star of his team for a whole year. 22-9-5, and whined on the bench when his number wasn't called in a game ending situation. He just wasn't top 5 in my mind. Nor top 50 ever, although that list needs to be updated anyways

lol not top 50 come on
22 9 5 aren't close to lebron numbers. like i said if he had his own team his numbers would be much better. I think ur just a bitter jazz fan. just kiddin its all a matter of opinion.

CB4AB7VC15
10-01-2008, 07:21 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0f1EsUVCIU funny pippen clip

Bruno
10-01-2008, 10:56 PM
Houston.

KnicksWin
10-02-2008, 01:49 AM
I don't think the coach is a problem in NO, they are pretty set. If they stay healthy they should be at the top again and I would love to see them go deep in the playoffs. The rest would be improved with him as the head coach IMO.

kobe24>jordan23
10-02-2008, 10:24 AM
nighthawk a have a valid point why your wrong and here they are.... when the bulls didn't have jackson they didn't get over the hump till he got there. same thing with the lakers they had kobe and shaq but 4 3 straight years they were bounced out by the jazz..

Spridge 76
10-02-2008, 12:41 PM
I think Phil could get the Rockets, Hornets and/or Mavs over, I just don't think he could do it for the Sunks. Not enough left in the tank with that crew.

IndyRealist
10-02-2008, 02:20 PM
It would not be a good fit for any team. The triangle offense limits the role of the PG to being a spot up shooter, so it would be pointless in Dallas, Phoenix, and New Orleans. It also requires both the SG, the SF, and either the PF or C to make passing decisions. With Hoarace Grant and Shaquille O'Neal you'd be fine. But asking Ron Artest to be a playmaker? You're kidding, right?

_Sn1P3r_
10-02-2008, 04:52 PM
Good point. ^ The PG isn't used as much.

HouRealCoach
10-02-2008, 05:26 PM
Only Houston

23LBJCleBrowns
10-02-2008, 05:50 PM
Houston and New Orleans, I don't think he can take the Declining Mavs and Suns and make them a winning team.