PDA

View Full Version : Tigers new SS?

Zoomlander
10-01-2008, 02:09 PM
Guesses anyone? Furcal,Cabrera

hoog
10-01-2008, 02:19 PM
Cheap defensive guy. All the money we have is reserved for pitching, pitching, and more pitching.

bballguy869
10-01-2008, 04:16 PM
But if all they want is a cheap defensive guy, why wouldn't they just stick with Santiago?
I'm hopin they do a little better than a cheap defense-only SS.

McJoe
10-01-2008, 05:30 PM
I think itll be Santiago

TheUltimateGM
10-01-2008, 09:05 PM
Yuniesky Betancourt?

stanpapi
10-01-2008, 10:17 PM
I think itll be Santiago

...in spring training. Mind you, spring training is already over, the way they are giving away jobs to the strangest people. Inge, who almost lost to Mendoza, is supposedly assured 3B. And Guillen has been assigned to LF.

Bondomania
10-02-2008, 10:02 AM
i want them to trade for JJ Hardy.. he is young and would be a stop gap SS until Iorg or Worth are ready... plu sthe brewers have his eventual replacement waiting in the minors.. or i wouldn't mind seeing Danny Worth earn the spot.. he is young and part of the future..

stanpapi
10-02-2008, 10:09 AM
I wouldn't mind seeing a whole lot of people earning jobs in spring training. That's what spring training is partly for. Generally speaking, if you hit .400 in spring training, you win a job. Here, you get sent to Toledo for hitting .400 in spring training.

hoog
10-02-2008, 11:48 AM
...in spring training. Mind you, spring training is already over, the way they are giving away jobs to the strangest people. Inge, who almost lost to Mendoza, is supposedly assured 3B. And Guillen has been assigned to LF.

Stan, I don't get that either. What happened to earning a job? This is a point I made when I posted about Lelyand not coming back. He's to loyal to players and coaches he shouldn't be. Why isn't a .208 hitter earning his way on the roster let alone being given a spot before spring training? This is Lelyands biggest downfall. Heck, Guillen's not even healthy yet, how does he get a starting gig already? Geez, this is backwards you know what. After this years debactle I think EVERYONE should have to earn a spot. I'm with you Stan!

hoog
10-02-2008, 12:32 PM
In looking at shortstops available FA and possibly trades here's what I come up with:

Staying put-
Ramon Santiago- Dave seems reluctant to go with him for some reason. He's a good fielder (.975) his bat showed up this year and he has great range. I think as an everyday guy his errors will increase a bit but he'll still stay in the .970 area but his bat will really suffer. (.220) I think there are better options.

Free Agency-
Cesar Izturis- My favorite option in FA. He's a very good fielder (.979 lifetime) and he'll hit around or above .260 but he'll steal some bases. Excellent range and he would come cheap at around 4 million.

David Eckstein- Not my favorite but at least an option. His fielding dropped this year to a low of .960 with a lifetime .978 but he hit a respectable .284. He'll cost around the same as Izturis but I think he has much less upside.

Rafeal Furcal- Good, yes, but not at his price (15.7 mil) anymore. He has a respectable fielding average of .972 so he fits the defensive bill but I wouldn't want to shell out the money he wants.

Trades-
Jack Wilson- Yes, if he can stay healthy next year he's my first choice. He has an excellent fielding average (.978) albeit not the range of the others. He bats well and is a leader. At 6.6 million he's an option.

Bobby Crosby- This boy needs a change of scenery and he still his somewhat young. His fielding is good and his bat still has the potential. In the years he's played over 130 games he's made less than 20 errors (.973). I think he's worth a look.

Hey, just some options to throw out there. Anyone else? I'm not sure about the Betencourt one thrown out there. He's seems to be on the downward slide to me. Still wouldn't be out of the question though.

Epic89
10-02-2008, 12:51 PM
I think Eckstein makes the most sense, wouldn't mind Crosby either if he's available

redwings1
10-02-2008, 02:48 PM
yeah but ekstein is kind of getting old i would go with crosby

mark1125
10-02-2008, 05:36 PM
Furcal and Wilsone don't interest me for slaray and health reasons.

Eckstien would be OK if the price is right. Crosby would be my choice Izturi. Izturis would be relatively cheap and is a switch hitting defender. Works for me. Let him and Santiago battle it out in camp and keep the other as backup.

Bondomania
10-02-2008, 06:15 PM
eckstein = santiago at the plate... but more expensive.. i don't like him whatsoever... i think if we trade for someone, then they should be young

Zoomlander
10-02-2008, 07:32 PM
We need to build or team.......for Comerica park.....we don't need power guys......we need defense, fielding and speed...and average plus some gap power....right to triples ally....

Furcal is good lead off hitter..........i am tired of Granderson there......he should be an RBI man....instead of the king of solo homers.......stack the deck with lefty's......that's what Comerica park wants......and what tigers fans need..............also get at least 3 good left handers in the bullpen

BK5931
10-02-2008, 09:05 PM
I think signing Furcal would be a good option, then if Eckstein slips through the cracks (these type of players do slip), sign him to a minor league deal. He is a for sure solid back-up at SS and 2nd base.

mark1125
10-02-2008, 10:44 PM
I think signing Furcal would be a good option, then if Eckstein slips through the cracks (these type of players do slip), sign him to a minor league deal. He is a for sure solid back-up at SS and 2nd base.

Furcal will get paid far more then he is worth. The Tigers won't have the open pocketbook this year. What money they do spend will likely be on pitching.

Nikolishin
10-03-2008, 01:48 AM
what the hell, are you all forgetting that guillen was an allstar SS a year ago????? tigers are so dumb for putting him in left field that should be thames job

mark1125
10-03-2008, 07:08 AM
what the hell, are you all forgetting that guillen was an allstar SS a year ago????? tigers are so dumb for putting him in left field that should be thames job

Belive me.......I haven't forgotten that. Unfortunately Leyland and DD must have been smoking some bad hooch when they decided Guillen belongs in left. I know that they are concerned about Guillens back, but LF?

stanpapi
10-03-2008, 10:33 AM
We need to build or team.......for Comerica park.....we don't need power guys......we need defense, fielding and speed...and average plus some gap power....right to triples ally....

Furcal is good lead off hitter..........i am tired of Granderson there......he should be an RBI man....instead of the king of solo homers.......stack the deck with lefty's......that's what Comerica park wants......and what tigers fans need..............also get at least 3 good left handers in the bullpen

Takes a good a Canadian to figure this out.

Stackshot
10-03-2008, 12:14 PM
In looking at shortstops available FA and possibly trades here's what I come up with:

Staying put-
Ramon Santiago- Dave seems reluctant to go with him for some reason. He's a good fielder (.975) his bat showed up this year and he has great range. I think as an everyday guy his errors will increase a bit but he'll still stay in the .970 area but his bat will really suffer. (.220) I think there are better options.

Free Agency-
Cesar Izturis- My favorite option in FA. He's a very good fielder (.979 lifetime) and he'll hit around or above .260 but he'll steal some bases. Excellent range and he would come cheap at around 4 million.

David Eckstein- Not my favorite but at least an option. His fielding dropped this year to a low of .960 with a lifetime .978 but he hit a respectable .284. He'll cost around the same as Izturis but I think he has much less upside.

Rafeal Furcal- Good, yes, but not at his price (15.7 mil) anymore. He has a respectable fielding average of .972 so he fits the defensive bill but I wouldn't want to shell out the money he wants.

Trades-
Jack Wilson- Yes, if he can stay healthy next year he's my first choice. He has an excellent fielding average (.978) albeit not the range of the others. He bats well and is a leader. At 6.6 million he's an option.

Bobby Crosby- This boy needs a change of scenery and he still his somewhat young. His fielding is good and his bat still has the potential. In the years he's played over 130 games he's made less than 20 errors (.973). I think he's worth a look.

Hey, just some options to throw out there. Anyone else? I'm not sure about the Betencourt one thrown out there. He's seems to be on the downward slide to me. Still wouldn't be out of the question though.

Believe me, Cesar Izturis is a curse upon any franchise he plays on.

There is not a plausible world where he is a good option at shortstop.

He has a .630 career OPS!!

He can't hit for contact, he hits for absolutely no power, he doesn't walk and is a terrible base-stealer in his career (83 SBs to 43 caught stealing).

If your team has a good lineup, he counteracts it. It's like having a bizarro negative player out there.

Also, his defense is VASTLY overrated, he makes terrible throws and is an overall idiot to quick thinking.

NEVER consider him a decent option, please.

I am a Cubs fan, and we had him for 2 years, and I've watched him play for the division rival pirates and Cardinals, and I had to give you this warning. I couldn't wish him on my worst enemies.

mark1125
10-03-2008, 01:49 PM
I still would like to see Santiago get a shot at earning it. Bring 2-3 in to compete for it and let the best man win. All I expect is .230 with good fundamentals and great glove. Spend the cash on pitching.

Lionsforlife
10-04-2008, 12:02 PM
I have a feeling that Santiago will get a chance to win the SS spot, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. However, what I fear is that they will end up re-signing Renteria for a cheaper contract and possibly split time between the two. I could think of alot worse options, but I also can think of alot better.

I just have a bad feeling that this is what's going to happen. Of course, if they spend all their money on pitching and use this to save some money, than it could work out, but I would rather see something else at short.

Sheffies Chef
10-04-2008, 01:35 PM
they will probably go after a guy who can hit homers for SS seeing as Inge has very limited power.

Sheffies Chef
10-04-2008, 01:35 PM
maybe not homers, but power i guess.

Bondomania
10-04-2008, 02:01 PM
once again.. if we make a trade for a SS, i like JJ Hardy, speedy, strong arm, and hits for power and average..

C1Bman88
10-04-2008, 02:28 PM
IMO Furcal won't be worth the money he'll be asking for. I'm not sure if the Tigers would be a good fit for Milwaukee.

I think they'd benefit a lot from Adam Everett. He's very cheap and has been the best defensive SS in the game over the past couple of years.

Zoomlander
10-04-2008, 04:46 PM
Takes a good a Canadian to figure this out.

Thanks man, I totally agree

Epic89
10-05-2008, 12:23 AM
once again.. if we make a trade for a SS, i like JJ Hardy, speedy, strong arm, and hits for power and average..

I hear ya man, but do we have what it takes to acquire him? Tigers organization isn't exactly prospect central.

Watching Furcal tonight man, it really is sad that the Tigers are such cheap, delusional mother****ers and aren't gonna try to sign him- he's exactly what they need at the top of that order.

Greenmonster24
10-05-2008, 02:00 AM
I think Lugo as he will get traded for Renteria. The Tigers don't want to pick up Renteria option and add salary as there trying cut payroll. They trade Willis who is owed 22 million over next 2 year for Lugo who has 2 years and 18 million left. The Tigers want to improve bullpen which trading Willis would do. Lowrie is going be Redsox SS as he did good job this year with Lugo injured and Alex Cora still on the bench. I think the SS market is weak and theres no star shortstop out there. Fucal will get 15 million a year and Olando Cabera to and he is 33 and will require at least 4 years. Lugo only has 2 years left. Boston same thing with Willis. C.C. get 7 years and Sheets always injured and Burnett only stays healthy on contract year also. Willis is a project that Dave Wallas the Redsox pitching coach can handle and fix.

Zoomlander
10-05-2008, 05:49 AM
buddy, there is only one team that's gunna have Willis next year.........and that us.........no sane person would deal for him..........when we get Leo Mazzone here he'll fix him........If you follow the Tigers you know whatever there front office says is ********.........they always say there's not deal on the table.......and then what happens we trade Pudge? don't believe that we are cutting payroll.....that's a bunch of BS if you ask me......I Think we'll be big players this off-season.........believe me it would be nice to get k-rod but i would be happy with Corpas or R.Soriano...some guy in there class........but for SS you need a special player and Lugo is def not the answer.........

JackB
10-05-2008, 08:21 AM
In my opiniop Lugo isn't going anywhere. Hes staying in Boston. Lowrie is the ss of the future in Boston but Lugo is the man. I also think Santiago will get the first chance and should. I don't believe they will try to resign Renteria at a lower price.
I also don't think David Ekstein is the answer. he doesn't really have a strong enough arm to be an everyday ss.Going in the hole or behind second base to make plays are tough for him. He came up as a second baseman.
I love Rafael Furcal. He hits for a very good average, good power and steals bases. A great top of the order guy. But too much money.
I don't see the Tigers being able to trade Willis. And bringing in Mazzone who I believe is one of the best pitching coaches ever will help Willis enogh to make a difference. Mazzone had two years to work with Daniel Cabrera in Baltimore. Another pitcher with loads of talent. But he didn't help him much. Yes there were some improvements but nothing on a consistant basis.We are stuck with Willis. We can only hope he can get it together enough to at least make the signing a bit more bearable and something that isn't talked about after every time he pitches.
Yes it would be nice to have a guy like FRod closing games. But he can't close games if he doesn't have the lead. The 15 million a year it will take to sign him will go a long way in suring up our bullpen. If we didn't have Willis, Robertson and Inge on the books we could have the money and plenty left over to sign a solid starter and middle relief help. Its going to be a tough off season. I don't see them opening their wallets much .We need lots of help but I think its going to be piece meal.

vinnybobhockeyt
10-07-2008, 11:31 AM
the tigers organization are real high on cale iorg at ss in 2010,therefore it has to be a veteran stopgap for one year or stay w/santiago.j.j.hardy would be great but he's 26 years old and dd loves iorg.i look for renteria to come back for one year at a lot less money and he has hinted as much in interviews.inge at 3b can cover some of the ground renteria can't get too...my choice for a 1 year stopgap is to sign omar vizquel.the guy is still a great fielder and santiago can spell him so he can rest.look for tigers to add left-handed catcher gerald laird from texas,all other moves will be for the pitching staff.brian fuentes will be signed from colorado,as will either damaso marte from the yankees or will ohman from the braves.they will sign derek lowe for the rotation to go with verlander,galaraga,garcia and willis.bonderman,robertson,minor and rodney will be dealt.possible closers include j.j.putz(seattle),chad cordero(washington),trevor hoffman(san diego) and george sherrill(baltimore)......

gse7en
10-07-2008, 01:29 PM
My pick: Jose Reyes. Yeah, he is untouchable, but so was M. Cabrera, Maybin and Andrew Miller. I know it won't happen but he'd give us everything we need: leadoff guy with blazing speed, switch-hitter, and a SS with good fielding skills.

I'm just dreaming, but I was just dreaming for Cabrera last year at this time and that worked out alright. I would hate to settle and overpay for an aging Ecks or some other middle of the road hack. We already have a few of those who can play SS. I understand money is a concern and if all we can get is one of the middle of the road guys then we might as well stick with Santiago.

Inge at 3B is a huge plus defensively but, unfortunately, 3Bs have to hit. Can the DH hit for the 3B? I say get an elite player that can play the right side of the infield, either 3B or SS. Whatever position you get, put santiago in the other spot. Santiago is better than Inge (fielding, hitting for avg, speed, and almost HRs/game this year).

I'm with Stan is and Bondo on this one, after this year's crapfest, everyone should earn their spot from Starting pitcher to closer, from Catcher to RF. Everyone should earn their spot ensuring that the best product takes the field every game instead of a bunch of quitters and primadonnas.

Pitching is our greatest need and should be where the money goes. How many prospective starters do we have next year? 2 or 3? And that bullpen is a mess. If we do happen to have a lead into the 9th, who's going to close? Rodney, who can't throw strikes if the game is on the line? What kind of closer can't pitch under pressure?

Sorry about the negativity. 2008 was a horribly disappointing season...

Bondomania
10-07-2008, 02:11 PM
we can't afford Reyes.. Rick Porcello would be required in that trade.. and our farm system is already pretty depleted as it is.. i think that Santiago will be the default option for now.. the thing that i like about JJ Hardy is that yes he is 26.. however, he most likely has 2 years left of arbitration and then he would be FA eligible.. and that would allow Iorg to develop an extra year.. OR if Iorg is deemed ready by 2010, either move him to 3B, where he is also projected.. Or turn around and deal Hardy for young pitching..

i don't understand what you mean by prospective starters.. but coming through the pipeline we will have 5 or 6 GOOD young arms ready by 2010..

Porcello
Moscoso
Perry
Satterwhite
Weinhardt
Nickerson

And there are more.. Casey Crosby, a young lefty starter who had Tommy John Surgery last year came back at the end of the year, and he was a first round talent when we drafted him.. he made a few appearances down the stretch.. and Brandon Hamilton is sick.. struggled with his command after starting the season dinged up.. but once he went down to the Rookie League, he really controlled his electric fastball and devastating curve.. both of those kids are just 19 and should start next year in Lakeland and with succesful seasons could be looking at being ready by midway through 2010 if not, then 2011

hoog
10-08-2008, 01:04 PM
Also, don't forget about these lefties:

Jon Kibler (low-A)
126K/32BB
1.75 ERA
14-5 Record

Duane Below (high-A)
Had an off year but still had 126K in 133 innings

Charles Furbush (low-A)
He was high on my list last year but was injured this year.
In 2007 he was 6-1 with a 2.34 ERA and 46 SO in 45 innings

I think all three of these guys have a shot in the future.

Bondomania
10-08-2008, 08:46 PM
ah yes.. i forgot about them... i really like charles furbush.. hopefully he can make it back from tommy john surgery.. but he was a hard throwing lefty with nasty stuff

BK5931
10-13-2008, 01:49 PM
Isn't this about our SS next year? Not pitching? Sign Eckstein, let him and Santiago fight it out, that gives us a starter and back-up IF all year. Eckstein can play both 2B and SS, Santiago can play 2B, 3B and SS. Great flexibility, which Leyland loves. Very easy decision here IMO.

Then when this is done DD can focus on pitching and landing us a starting (and possibly back-up) catcher(s).

Opening Day:
SP - Verlander, Bonderman, Armondo, Dempster (FA from CHI), Willis or Roberston
C - Fuentes (FA from COL)

Batting Order:

CF - Granderson
2B - Polanco
1B - Cabera
RF - Ordonez
DH - Sheffield
LF - Guillen
C - Michael Barrett (FA from SD)
3B - Inge
SS - Eckstein (FA from TOR)

I know we have a lot of righties batting and pitching, but the bottom line is we need more talent at a cheaper price.

MinnesotaTiger
10-13-2008, 02:09 PM
I'm not sure why everyone keeps talking about a shortstop. The Tigers are LOADED with middle infield talent: Holliman, Iorg, Sizemore and Santiago. They also have Larish and Hessman who can help at third (and first). The Tigers need pitching! Sign Derick Lowe and trade for (or sign) two arms for the bullpen.

MinnesotaTiger
10-13-2008, 02:11 PM
and what about Worth? WE NEED PITCHING

Bondomania
10-14-2008, 10:14 AM
that is a joke signing both barrett and eckstein.. seriously both of them cannot hit for anything.. hence the reason why Barrett barely played this year, and Eckstein got demoted during the season because of diminishing range and lack of power at the plate.. I think that you ride it out with Santiago.. more power, more range, and then you can bring up Worth or Iorg at the halfway point if Santiago is struggling.. therefore Barrett and Eckstein do not offer more talent, as you are calling for.. Barrett only hit .202 on the season

BK5931
10-14-2008, 11:00 AM
that is a joke signing both barrett and eckstein.. seriously both of them cannot hit for anything.. hence the reason why Barrett barely played this year, and Eckstein got demoted during the season because of diminishing range and lack of power at the plate.. I think that you ride it out with Santiago.. more power, more range, and then you can bring up Worth or Iorg at the halfway point if Santiago is struggling.. therefore Barrett and Eckstein do not offer more talent, as you are calling for.. Barrett only hit .202 on the season

Im not saying Eckstein would start for us, either him or Santiago, and if we bring up one of those guys at the half way point, we still need someone for the first half, Ecsktein would be great IMO, especially as a 9 hitter. What exactly did our catchers hit last year? Pudge was terrible with the bat, bottom line is we need a catcher so badly and Barrett brings a good attitude that wont allow for whining. That is what the Tigers need.

Bondomania
10-15-2008, 10:58 AM
pudge hit .290 before he was traded.. Inge was a joke, i will give you that... but we are selling Dusty Ryan short.. i would like to see him get a good long look in spring training... he caught down the stretch and looked like he could handle it... if anything, i think that we need to bring in a guy like Miguel Olivo.. a backup catcher who provides some pop..

Eckstein hasn't been good since 2006.. and we would be in the same spot as we were with Renteria.. an aging SS with diminishing range.. except less bat

JackB
10-15-2008, 11:04 PM
In short I agree with Bondo. Eckstein has no range and no arm. He came up as a second baseman if I recall with the Angels. I to think we should give Santiago the chance to win the job. He did well the last couple of weeks. A small sample yes but hes hungry and right now he cheap. Same with Dusty Ryan. A long look. I also wouldn't be opposed to tryig to get Pudge back if the money was right. His power was down but he is a lifetime .290 hitter. Plus he still has a great arm . Hes not the automatic out that almost three quarters of the other catchers are. He can also steal a few bases.

Nizzle20
10-16-2008, 09:08 AM
I to think we should give Santiago the chance to win the job. He did well the last couple of weeks. A small sample yes but hes hungry and right now he cheap. Same with Dusty Ryan.

I think when you said he's hungry, is the key. I dont want to bring Pudge back. Last thing we need is to add more age to and contentedness to this roster. give me young guys who are hungry. Will they make inexperienced mistakes? yes. But the hunger and drive will spill over to the rest of the team. We need to inject youth into this team.

TotallySox9097
10-16-2008, 09:14 AM
well now that renteria has gotten pased around more than a blunt, maybe everyone will see how much he really sucks. Im sorry detroit fans that you had to suffer with the contract he signed with the red sox

Bondomania
10-16-2008, 10:36 AM
he really just sucks in the AL for some reason.. he is solid in the NL... i don't really get it

JackB
10-17-2008, 07:29 AM
Pudge would be a great one year sign. A teacher for Ryan. He may be old but hes better then most 30 year olds. I don't think he would relax and sit back if he only signs a 1 year deal. He will want to prove he still has something in the tank. And Ryan gets tutered. Its better then signing a .220 hitting catcher for 2-3 years even if its for less money.We know what Pudge can do. I agree NO long term. Not even two years. Not at his age.

Nizzle20
10-17-2008, 10:59 AM
[QUOTE=JackB;7035424]Pudge would be a great one year sign. A teacher for Ryan. QUOTE]

What about the alleged piss poor attitude and cancer causing locker room traits he has? If these are true, do you really want to teach that to Dusty Ryan?

mattd24
10-20-2008, 10:32 AM
santiago should be the shortstop and the 9th batter in the lineup - save your money, fix the bullpen...ramon is as good a defensive shortstop as you'll find and he started to hit the ball pretty well last year...teach him how to bunt and run down that line!

Bondomania
10-20-2008, 02:36 PM
santiago is a phenominal bunter.. he bunts for base hits a lot.. i wouldn't be surprised if Danny Worth shows that he is healthy then he could get a long look at SS... especially considering the tigers aggressive development plan for him, having him start at Erie right out of college.. and then last year reaching AAA in his first year out of college.. i think the guy is a stud defensively and has shown flashes of being a solid batter at the plate.. i wouldn't be surprised to see Worth come up if Santiago struggles as a fulltime player

hoog
10-21-2008, 07:48 AM
I like Danny Worth, especially his strike out to walk ratio, but I'd really like to see the kid get a full year in Triple A (with a September call up) next year as opposed to rushing him. Sign another vet and let Santiago battle him for the starters spot with the loser as the back up infielder. In two years you'll have Worth and Iorg battling for the SS position. Iorg I figure will hit Erie at some point next year and then replace Worth at Toledo the following year. Third base is really the problem area. Especially if Inge puts up another sub .220 year at the plate.

Bondomania
10-21-2008, 10:52 AM
Iorg will start at Erie next year.. he started at Lakeland last year, and i doubt DD makes him repeat it, considering he was between .250 and .280 BA'wise in his first year back from that 4 year missionary assignment.. not to bad, not great, but he still hit with some power.. and i think he had an injury and a suspension that slowed him this last year..

I think if Worth shows up and has a good spring, then i don't see why you wouldn't go with him.. he plays major league ready defense already.. i wonder how things will turn out considering 3B will open up eventually.. Larish, Worth and Iorg and others will be battling for 2 spots

Yes, We Deliver
10-29-2008, 02:43 PM
For real, Detroit needs to give Santiago an oppurtunity. Outside Santiago, one name who I've always liked (despite terrible numbers the past few seasons) is Felipe Lopez. You can buy low with him and have him compete for the job.

Or Neifi Perez. Just kidding.

Thames9
10-29-2008, 03:12 PM
Or Neifi Perez. Just kidding.

Get him outta wherever he is now and get him on the field!

Detroit70
10-29-2008, 05:17 PM
Is Iorg that good? I see the AAA mudhens when they come to town, but Iorg is still in AA. His numbers look decent and the SB's look nice. Do you people think he will be the starter or santiago will get the job?

hoog
10-30-2008, 07:42 AM
The way I see it for the future is Danny Worth at SS, Iorg at 3B (due to his build and potential power numbers), and one of the following guys at 2B:

Will Rhymes
Maxwell Leon
Scott Sizemore
Justin Henry

Leon and Sizemore are AA/AAA guys right now that could step in if need be this year. Both guys are low power, good on base, and srike out to walk ration guys. Rhymes will play most of the season at AA. He's a small (5'9" 155lb.) scrapper who can steal some bases and also has a good OBP and SO/BB ratio. My personal favorite is Justin Henry. He will be able to play 2B or 3B when he arrives. He hits for average (.340 at Oneota in 2007, .295 at West Michigan), he's a great BB/SO guy with a good OBP, and he steals bases better than any of the others (24).

So, what I see in the future for the infield (two years from now, maybe three) is Cabrerra at first, Henry at second, Worth at SS, Iorg at 3B, and Alex Avila at Catcher.

serGeant
11-14-2008, 02:50 PM
Maicier Izturis?

Send Magglio Ordonez to Anaheim for C Jeff Mathis, SS Maicier Izturis, P Brandon Moseley, and OF Gary Matthews Jr (LA would insist on Matthews, I'm afraid). Then spend the money saved on a the team's biggest needs.

Bondomania
11-15-2008, 05:47 PM
Hoog, the way i see it, is Larish could become the regular 3rd basemen.. he has made huge progression in fall ball and the reports are saying he has been flashing some leather at the hot corner.. not to mention he is hitting over .300 and is around the leaders in RBI's.. Iorg will be the SS.. and Worth i feel is more trade bate, or maybe he could make a switch to 2b..

also.. how would that trade help us? the purpose of trading Ordonez would be to reduce payroll so that we could afford a top line starter or another FA.. we don't need another 3-5 starter type, which Moseley is.. Izturis doesn't really hit, and we could get equal production out of Santiago.. and we already have a loaded outfield.. i think if anything it would have to be a swap of bad contracts.. maybe Nate Robertson for Mathews Jr. and maybe we throw in a mid-level prospect

theoldgoalie
11-18-2008, 02:55 AM
I like the idea of Furcal coming out here, with Santiago spelling him often, but for the short time we would have him, it makes no sense. Santiago did a great job for us and let's face it, he IS a Tiger, and wants to be part of this team more than any of the other names knocked around. To me, because of this, Lugo and Itzturis are the best options for us, both have speed, and a veteran presence and come at a relatively worthwhile price. Lugo for Robertson or Willis is a killer deal as far as I am concerned, Lugo can steal bases and hit lead off, as can Itzturis, although I would imagine Itzturis as more of a bottom of the order guy and we are trying to move Granderson into a better spot in the line-up. I also believe that Lugo would do much better in Comerica Park than in Fenway because of all of the gaps. Regardless, I just don't want to make a deal for the sake of making a deal. Go into free agency with the mind frame that Santiago is your starter and if you can improve from there, fine, otherwise, leave it be and develop some fine young talent.