PDA

View Full Version : I like Ryan Callahan but

SLY WILLIAMS
09-30-2008, 12:25 PM
I like Ryan Callahan. I like his skating, hitting and shooting but he really needs to be more willing to pass the puck to open guys. I noticed he looks away from passing to open players last season and he is doing it again in this preseason. His line mates may get frustrated with that over time. I remember he went around 40 games last season with only 1 assist.

Desert Plains
09-30-2008, 05:16 PM
I think to some degree he realizes that he's expected to score. That was once his strength.

He started strong at the end of the 06-07 season by scoring 4 goals in 14 games. We need him to score more (along with other guys).

SLY WILLIAMS
09-30-2008, 06:10 PM
I think to some degree he realizes that he's expected to score. That was once his strength.

He started strong at the end of the 06-07 season by scoring 4 goals in 14 games. We need him to score more (along with other guys).

I agree he does need to score but we need the whole team to score more not 1 guy at the expense of anyone else. :)

His scoring (both goals and assists) would probably go up if he passed more. There would be more open ice and more rebounds. The first commandment of hockey is Thou shall head man the puck to thy open teammate. I saw him completely ignore a open teamate skating by him today and I was disappointed that he did not give up the biscuit.
That said I really like Ryan as a player and this is easily fixable. Just play unselfish team hockey. :)

pavel96
09-30-2008, 09:25 PM
hes not very consistent right now, give him and prucha a few years in hartford

CurseThis
09-30-2008, 10:38 PM
He's good for forechecking, PKing and playing gritty. He'll be obsolete in a season or two, when guys like Cherepanov, Anisimov, Grachev and others with higher offensive ceilings begin making the team.

That said, I'll take him over Ortmeyer, Hall and all the other scrubs we've rolled out on the third line since the lockout.

messleetch94
10-01-2008, 02:28 AM
He's good for forechecking, PKing and playing gritty. He'll be obsolete in a season or two, when guys like Cherepanov, Anisimov, Grachev and others with higher offensive ceilings begin making the team.

That said, I'll take him over Ortmeyer, Hall and all the other scrubs we've rolled out on the third line since the lockout.

Never over Ortmeyer

SLY WILLIAMS
10-01-2008, 03:45 PM
Cally with the huge game winner today on a breakaway off a stolen pass. We were down 3-0 to Russian and we won 4-3. It was really cool!

B-West.Joba
10-01-2008, 05:47 PM
what do you all think the lines will be? id like:

naslund gomez drury
korpi dubi zherdev
dawes fritsche callahan
voros betts orr

rismiller, sjo, pru

then i think, at least for the start of the year, mara and kalinin should have spots over potter

B-West.Joba
10-01-2008, 05:54 PM

i doubt he will be obsolete but we will see this year, i think we need his PK and forecheck ability, as seen today intercepting that pass at the blueline and owning the goalie for the game winner. grachev and anisimov are both centers too.

CurseThis
10-04-2008, 02:11 AM
i doubt he will be obsolete but we will see this year, i think we need his PK and forecheck ability, as seen today intercepting that pass at the blueline and owning the goalie for the game winner. grachev and anisimov are both centers too.

Grachev isn't staying at center. The Rangers have already said that his future is at the wing. Anisimov may end up at the wing also... but that depends on how well Korpikoski does this season.

CurseThis
10-04-2008, 02:12 AM
Never over Ortmeyer

Ortmeyer couldn't score in a whore house with a fist full of hundreds.

messleetch94
10-04-2008, 10:40 AM
Ortmeyer couldn't score in a whore house with a fist full of hundreds.

I didn't like Ortmeyer for his scoring, i liked him for the game he played.

CurseThis
10-07-2008, 05:50 PM
I didn't like Ortmeyer for his scoring, i liked him for the game he played.

Callahan plays the same way, but can actually chip in goals too.