PDA

View Full Version : Realistic yet Ideal 2009 Astros team

acohn1230
09-29-2008, 08:59 PM
C- Kelley Shoppach (hit 20+ HR despite being backup catcher in CLE. They have no room for him with healthy (Garko, V-Mart, and Hafner take up 1B, C, and DH)
1B- Lance Berkman
2B- Kaz Matsui
SS- Edgar Rentaria (See explanation below)
3B- Ty Wiggington..hit very well when he played completely healthy
LF- Carlos Lee
CF- Brian Bogusevic
RF- Hunter Pence

SP- Roy Oswalt
SP- A.J Burnett
SP- Ryan Dempster
SP- Randy Wolf
SP- Brian Moehler/ Alberto Arias/ Mike Hampton

Trade Miggy and Bourne, this frees up a lot of money

DO NOT SIGN BEN SHEETS. Since 2005, he has topped 30 starts only once--it was this season, and he started having arm troubles that caused him to miss starts down a PLAYOFF stretch. That says something on the severity of the injury. The guy simply cannot stay healthy.

Resign Hawkins if we cannot get a type A prospect in return. If we can grab the prospect, I think we have to let Hawkins go.

Trade Backe. For anything.

Resign Loretta unless we can get a prospect i return. We have a solid bench, we can afford his loss if we get a young player in return.

Rentaria had a sub-par year this year, so perhaps he would come cheaper. But, what I think is interesting is that he's a top 10 SS in the Nl, but not in the AL. His stint with the Red Sox and Tigers (AL teams) were below average...but every other stint he's had (Marlins, Cardinals, Braves), hes been very successful. He hit 332 in 2007, and his stats from 2008 as very comparable to Miggy's production--just without the hefty pricetag.

Ideas, thoughts?

catch212
09-29-2008, 09:47 PM
First of all, they wouldn't get both Burnett and Dempster. But it doesn't matter because Dempster isn't leaving the Cubs.

nickymintz
09-29-2008, 10:08 PM
C-Humberto Quintero
1B- Mike Jacobs (Trade Ty Wigginton and Minor leaguer)
2B- Kaz Matsui
3B- Miguel Tejada
SS- Edgar Renteria
RF- Lance Berkman
CF- Hunter Pence
LF- Carlos Lee

Lineup
1- Kaz Matsui
2- Miguel Tejada
3- Lance Berkman
4- Carlos Lee
5- Hunter Pence
6- Mike Jacobs
7- Edgar Renteria
8- Humberto Quintero
9- Pitcher

SP- Roy O
SP- Jon Garland
SP- Jamie Moyer
SP- Brian Moeler
SP- Wandy Rodriguez
LRP- Chris Sampson
RP- Geoff Geary
RP- Latroy Hawkins
RP- Wesley Wright
RP- Tim Byrdak
SU- Doug Brocail
CP- Jose Valverde

Bench
C- JR Towles
UTIL- Geoff Blum
1B/OF- Darin Erstad
UTIL- David Newhan
OF- Michael Bourn

native_astro
09-29-2008, 10:24 PM
C- Kelley Shoppach (hit 20+ HR despite being backup catcher in CLE. They have no room for him with healthy (Garko, V-Mart, and Hafner take up 1B, C, and DH)
1B- Lance Berkman
2B- Kaz Matsui
LF- Carlos Lee
CF- Brian Bogusevic
RF- Hunter Pence

SP- Roy Oswalt
SP- A.J Burnett
SP- Ryan Dempster
SP- Randy Wolf

DO NOT SIGN BEN SHEETS. Since 2005, he has topped 30 starts only once--it was this season, and he started having arm troubles that caused him to miss starts down a PLAYOFF stretch. That says something on the severity of the injury. The guy simply cannot stay healthy.

Resign Hawkins if we cannot get a type A prospect in return. If we can grab the prospect, I think we have to let Hawkins go.

Resign Loretta unless we can get a prospect i return. We have a solid bench, we can afford his loss if we get a young player in return.

Rentaria had a sub-par year this year, so perhaps he would come cheaper. But, what I think is interesting is that he's a top 10 SS in the Nl, but not in the AL. His stint with the Red Sox and Tigers (AL teams) were below average...but every other stint he's had (Marlins, Cardinals, Braves), hes been very successful. He hit 332 in 2007, and his stats from 2008 as very comparable to Miggy's production--just without the hefty pricetag.

Ideas, thoughts?

I don't think the Cub's are going to let Dempster go. That is going to be their off season priority to resign Dempster and Wood.

I don't think we should go after Renteria either. He's going to be a type A free agent and it would be a waste to give up a draft pick for him.

I think the Astros are going to trade Ty Wigginton and probably use Blum until Chris Johnson is ready.

Here's my list....

C - Bengie Molina (Astros Trade Humberto Quintero and Cash)
1B- Lance Berkman
2B- Kaz Matsui
SS- Miguel Tejada
3B- Geoff Blum( Chris Johnson should get the call around early June or late May)
LF- Carlos Lee
CF- Brian Bogusevic
RF- Hunter Pence

SP- Roy Oswalt
SP- A.J Burnett (6yr/108 Million)
SP- Wandy Rodriguez
SP- Randy Wolf (2yr/18 Million)
SP- Brian Moehler/Polin Trinidad/Bud Norris

dchalphen
09-30-2008, 10:40 AM
You guys are way over your heads if you think we are going to get top tier free agents this Winter.

A) we don't have that much salary flexibility.
B) the Astros have several big arbitration eligible players that are going to take a huge chunk from our potential free agent money.
C) we don't need to waste big time money on injury prone pitchers ie Burnett, Sheets, Hampton.

My resolution

C-Towles-7
1B-Berkman-3
2B-Matsui-1
SS-Tejada-5
3B-Wiggington-6
RF-Pence-2
CF-Bourn-8 Teach him to put the ball on the ground this offseason
LF-Lee-4

Blum, Erstad, Quinterro, Abercrombie, Saccomano

Oswalt
Lowe
Wolf
Rodriquez
Moehler

Valverde
Geary
Sampson
Brydak
Wright
Resign Hawkins and Brocail for reasonable $ or let them walk

This is very reasonable and really all we need is two solid starting pitchers.

rhino17
09-30-2008, 10:54 AM
Lineup:
2B: Kaz Matsui
CF: Darin Erstad
1B: Lance Berkman
LF: Carlos Lee
SS: Miguel Tejada
RF: Hunter Pence
3B: Ty Wiggington
C: Doesnt matter
P:

Rotation
-Roy Oswalt
-Ben Sheets
-Jon Garland
-Want Rodriguez
-Brian Moehler

I think they should just spend some cash on starting pitching. Ben Sheets has the most potential (i dont care about injuries, the astros cant afford to pass on a guy like him).

RyanExpress34
09-30-2008, 02:47 PM
2B Kaz Matsui
RF Pence
1B Berkman
LF Lee
SS Tejada
C Benjie Molina
3B Wigginton
CF Bourn

Oswalt
Lowe
Wolf
Moehler
Wandy

sep11ie
09-30-2008, 03:48 PM
Moyer has already rejected a trade to come here, Sheets is injury prone, Giants are not gonna let Molina leave, and why would the Marrlins want Wiggy. I like him and he fits here, but not there.

acohn1230
09-30-2008, 06:47 PM
we could also try trading ty wiggington and player X for matt cain..giants are loaded w/ pitching, and are looking for solid hitters

dchalphen
10-02-2008, 10:24 AM
How about Towles Bourn and either a pitching prospect(Trinidad)or a young middle infielder(Ash) for Zack Greinke. The Royals are looking for a CF, C, Middle infielder. I don't really see a need for any of these guys because Castro is the future at C (hopefully) my trade below will cover the leadoff CF and Trinidad is nice but he doesn't have great "stuff".

Trade for Juan Pierre. I know he has a huge contract but maybe we could work out a deal to have the Dodgers pay for most of it or some of it because they want to get rid of him. They already have Kemp, Ethier, Young, Jones, Repko and prob Ramirez for next year. Look at Pierre's numbers, pretty impressive for a leadoff man and he could play RF because of his baby arm and Pence could play CF.

Why is everyone wanting to get rid of Wiggington? Who else could we get? He is very underrated as a hitter and very versitile in the field.

Pierre
Matsui
Berkman
Lee
Tejada
Pence
Wiggington
Quinterro/FA

Oswalt
Lowe/Sheets/Garland
Greinke
Wolf/Moehler
Rodriquez

Thats a good squad

Wizard of O's
10-03-2008, 08:02 AM
C Humberto Quintero
C Kelly Shoppach

1B Lance Berkman
2B Kaz Matsui
2B David Newhan
SS Miguel Tejada
3B Jose Castillo
3B Ty Wigginton
IF Geoff Blum

LF Carlos Lee
CF Michael Bourn
RF Hunter Pence
OF Darin Erstad

P Tim Byrdak
P Jon Garland
P Geoff Geary
P LaTroy Hawkins
P Brian Moehler
P Felipe Paulino
P Wandy Rodriguez
P Roy Oswalt
P Chris Sampson
P Jose Valverde
P Randy Wolf
P Wesley Wright

acohn1230
10-03-2008, 10:26 AM
C Humberto Quintero
C Kelly Shoppach

1B Lance Berkman
2B Kaz Matsui
2B David Newhan
SS Miguel Tejada
3B Jose Castillo
3B Ty Wigginton
IF Geoff Blum

LF Carlos Lee
CF Michael Bourn
RF Hunter Pence
OF Darin Erstad

P Tim Byrdak
P Jon Garland
P Geoff Geary
P LaTroy Hawkins
P Brian Moehler
P Felipe Paulino
P Wandy Rodriguez
P Roy Oswalt
P Chris Sampson
P Jose Valverde
P Randy Wolf
P Wesley Wright

..why are jose castillo and david newhan starting?

fishfan79
10-03-2008, 12:05 PM
C-Humberto Quintero
1B- Mike Jacobs (Trade Ty Wigginton and Minor leaguer)
2B- Kaz Matsui
3B- Miguel Tejada
SS- Edgar Renteria
RF- Lance Berkman
CF- Hunter Pence
LF- Carlos Lee

Lineup
1- Kaz Matsui
2- Miguel Tejada
3- Lance Berkman
4- Carlos Lee
5- Hunter Pence
6- Mike Jacobs
7- Edgar Renteria
8- Humberto Quintero
9- Pitcher

SP- Roy O
SP- Jon Garland
SP- Jamie Moyer
SP- Brian Moeler
SP- Wandy Rodriguez
LRP- Chris Sampson
RP- Geoff Geary
RP- Latroy Hawkins
RP- Wesley Wright
RP- Tim Byrdak
SU- Doug Brocail
CP- Jose Valverde

Bench
C- JR Towles
UTIL- Geoff Blum
1B/OF- Darin Erstad
UTIL- David Newhan
OF- Michael Bourn

could see us trading jacobs but no interest in wigginton at all

lance85
10-03-2008, 05:17 PM
1B- Lance Berkman
2B- Kaz Matsui
LF- Carlos Lee
CF- Brian Bogusevic
RF- Hunter Pence

SP- Roy Oswalt
SP- A.J Burnett
SP- Ryan Dempster
SP- Randy Wolf

Ideas, thoughts?
astros need ken either ken griffery jr. , jim endmonds , matt morris , randy johnson ( johnson used to pitch for houston) , pedro martinez , andy petite , barry bonds ( but under the conditions that bonds will stretch and practice with the team and stop taking steroids and practice running)

acohn1230
10-04-2008, 12:03 PM
astros need ken either ken griffery jr. , jim endmonds , matt morris , randy johnson ( johnson used to pitch for houston) , pedro martinez , andy petite , barry bonds ( but under the conditions that bonds will stretch and practice with the team and stop taking steroids and practice running)

I would go for ron gant, glenallen hill, or keith lockhart over these guys..

choog
10-05-2008, 07:59 PM
First, who is Brian Bogusevic?

Next I agree keep Wiggington, Trade Backe, Tejada and possibly Bourne. Let Erstad play center. Don't sign Ben Sheets (I like him but with his injury history he might be a waste of money we could spend elsewhere). I would like to see Derek Lowe. Loretta or Blum can probably play SS well enough. Although I like the thought of Edgar Renteria. Resign Wolf, and pick up Brain Fuentes as set-up man. Maybe Brandon Lyon.

Wizard of O's
10-06-2008, 11:35 AM
First, who is Brian Bogusevic?

Next I agree keep Wiggington, Trade Backe, Tejada and possibly Bourne. Let Erstad play center. Don't sign Ben Sheets (I like him but with his injury history he might be a waste of money we could spend elsewhere). I would like to see Derek Lowe. Loretta or Blum can probably play SS well enough. Although I like the thought of Edgar Renteria. Resign Wolf, and pick up Brain Fuentes as set-up man. Maybe Brandon Lyon.

Bogusevic was te Astros first round pick in 2005. He was a highly touted pitcher who Nolan Ryan scouted. He couldn't cut it as a pitcher and was converted to the OF where he has started to show some signs of success.
He's not close to being ready for the big leagues yet.

Wizard of O's
10-06-2008, 11:42 AM
Also I'd keep Tejada. Good defense, a quality bat. And he seems to love playing here. And I love his passion in trying to get his teammates pumped up.

Other than maybe a catcher and a infielder off the bench to replace Loretta or the resigning of Loretta. I wouldn't make any more moves towards position players.

A couple starting pitchers.

Michael Bourn is making the league minimum for the next 3 years. So trading him doesn't free up anything. Plus I still think he's going to develop into a top notch leadoff man. If anything give him one more year after winter ball and everything to prove himself.

native_astro
10-06-2008, 02:30 PM
Bogusevic was te Astros first round pick in 2005. He was a highly touted pitcher who Nolan Ryan scouted. He couldn't cut it as a pitcher and was converted to the OF where he has started to show some signs of success.
He's not close to being ready for the big leagues yet.

Bogusevic is alot closer than most people think. I think he's going to beat Michael Bourn for the starters job out of spring training. Everything I read about his guy is great.

From JJO's Chat from the chronicle..

link: http://blogs.chron.com/baseballblog/

[Comment From native_astro]
Does Brian Bogusevic have a shot at being the starting CF next year if he does well in the AFL and spring training?

12:56 Jose de Jesus Ortiz:
I spoke with someone who spoke with a scout who saw him, and they said this highly respected guy claims that BB is the real deal. That's funny because Brad Ausmus saw BB throw and hit shortly after he was drafted and he told Tim Purpura that he liked him more as an outfielder. Turns out Brad was right, and it would be a tremendous boost to the Astros' farm system if BB turned out to be a gem.

stros1fan
10-07-2008, 08:36 AM
You guys are way over your heads if you think we are going to get top tier free agents this Winter.

A) we don't have that much salary flexibility.
B) the Astros have several big arbitration eligible players that are going to take a huge chunk from our potential free agent money.
C) we don't need to waste big time money on injury prone pitchers ie Burnett, Sheets, Hampton.

My resolution

C-Towles-7
1B-Berkman-3
2B-Matsui-1
SS-Tejada-5
3B-Wiggington-6
RF-Pence-2
CF-Bourn-8 Teach him to put the ball on the ground this offseason
LF-Lee-4

Blum, Erstad, Quinterro, Abercrombie, Saccomano

Oswalt
Lowe
Wolf
Rodriquez
Moehler

Valverde
Geary
Sampson
Brydak
Wright
Resign Hawkins and Brocail for reasonable $ or let them walk

This is very reasonable and really all we need is two solid starting pitchers.

That is reasonable, but the only problem is that Lowe is a Boras client and the Astros will not work w/Boras. Also, Drayton has already said they are not going to make a splash with a big signing this off-season. It appears Randy Wolf will be our only "major" signing.

KingPapelbon
10-07-2008, 11:30 AM
SP- A.J Burnett (6yr/108 Million)

This is so funny.

wadero
10-07-2008, 02:48 PM
here is what I would like to see next years Astros look like.
Free Agents
Michael Barett, Hank Blalock, Rocco Baldelli, Oliver Perez, Jeremy Affeldt

The only other wild card would be a rumor I Heard that Adam Dunn Wants to come to Houston. If that happens No baldelli as Pence moves to CF and Dunn to RF.

C Barrett/Quintero
1 Berkman
2 Matsui
3 Blalock ( if Texas cuts him ) Wiggington
ss Tejada

RF Pence
Cf Baldelli Bourne
Lf Lee

1 Oswalt
2 Oliver Perez
3 Wolf
4 Wandy
5 Moehler

Bull pen
Valverde
Geary
Sampson
Wright
Jermey Affeldt

choog
10-11-2008, 08:35 PM
Tejada is a quality bat. But not a top quality bat which is how much he is paid for. We can get an equal bat and defense for cheaper i think.

I would really like to see us go after Brian Fuentes for set-up.