PDA

View Full Version : Do you enjoy having a league that has parity?

JordansBulls
09-29-2008, 01:27 PM
Do you enjoy having a league that has parity?

AllTheWay
09-29-2008, 01:28 PM
Yes, I love it, as long as my lakers are still the best

Tom81
09-29-2008, 01:36 PM
Yes

barreleffact
09-29-2008, 01:49 PM
no...i want my lakers to win every year...lol, but seriously, i like having the actual favorites win. Its good that any given night sum1 else can win but as far as championships, i dont want some garbage team to beat an actual franchise

pete_one
09-29-2008, 02:01 PM
yes, imagine back in the days when boston had russell and winning all those damn titles? watching the nba on color tv mustve been boring as fvck!!!! [unless you're a boston fan] but yeah its cool to see some balance and watching new teams and young stars come out and dunk on a mtuhaphukka...

EasyMac951
09-29-2008, 02:07 PM
I am kind of mixed.. Being a Bulls fan I liked to see the dynasty type teams develop. But on the other hand I like how a team can rise and fall like the Heat, Mavericks, etc.

Another example would be the Bulls horrible season last year. It is interesting to see new teams develop and become competitive. I like going into a season not knowing who is going to come out on top.

JordansBulls
09-29-2008, 03:20 PM
I'll be honest with you, I like parity for the reason that it makes basketball much more enjoyable. Most people don't know this, but in 1998 after seeing the Bulls win titles in the 90's, I actually wanted Malone and Stockton to get a ring. I'm not saying I was pulling for them, but I wouldn't had been upset if they won one.

I think most people just want to see their teams do well, which is an obvious point, but if you really love the sport and game of basketball, you will watch no matter if your team is any good or if they have any stars. And I think having parity just makes things much more interesting.

_Sn1P3r_
09-29-2008, 04:23 PM
Yeah I like the parity. Keeps the league interesting.

SensandRaps
09-29-2008, 04:48 PM
the parity makes the games much more enjoyable and keeps the athletes much more interested

TheFuture6
09-29-2008, 07:26 PM
Six franchises have won the title 26 of the past 28 years... Not exactly the picture of parity.

Beno7500
09-29-2008, 08:13 PM
What does parity mean? :hide:

JOSETHEALLSTAR
09-29-2008, 08:13 PM
Yes

heyman321
09-29-2008, 08:17 PM
What does parity mean? :hide:

It means fairness. i.e. the richest teams like LA and New York and Chicago can't do whatever the hell they want and sign all the superstars just cause they are rich. Well they can, but they have to pay the luxury tax. It's like soccer, every friggin year it's Man U, Arsenal, Liverpool, and Chelsea.

Beno7500
09-29-2008, 08:23 PM
well then, yes i do

cmellofan15
09-29-2008, 08:26 PM
Most of the teams who get on top stay on top IE currently: Lakers, Pistons, Spurs etc

SAVAGE CLAW
09-29-2008, 08:28 PM
Wich Parity?

Celtics 17 , Lakers 14, Bulls 6, Spurs4, Pistons,Sixers,Warriors 3 Thats 90% of the titles all in just 7 teams...

JordansBulls
09-29-2008, 08:44 PM
Wich Parity?

Celtics 17 , Lakers 14, Bulls 6, Spurs4, Pistons,Sixers,Warriors 3 Thats 90% of the titles all in just 7 teams...

The 70's was parity. And I think the league nowadays could have parity.

SAVAGE CLAW
09-29-2008, 09:16 PM
^ I doubt it, when the Celtics are done Wining rings , and providing Spurs are already done Lakers will take over, then Blazers.

ShaunRiching9
09-29-2008, 09:28 PM
Yes, I love it, as long as my lakers are still the best

Too bad they are not

barreleffact
09-30-2008, 12:30 AM
so seriously...you all would be cool if a team like memphis or sacremento or the bobcats won a chip? that would be insulting IMO in a way. Id rather have it be competitive with a few great teams and a bunch of teams during the regular season, but as far as rings...no. let the bigger markets(LA, Boston, Orlando, even NY, etc) take over

DerekRE_3
09-30-2008, 03:29 AM
so seriously...you all would be cool if a team like memphis or sacremento or the bobcats won a chip? that would be insulting IMO in a way. Id rather have it be competitive with a few great teams and a bunch of teams during the regular season, but as far as rings...no. let the bigger markets(LA, Boston, Orlando, even NY, etc) take over

So if the 2002 Sac Kings team had won, it would be insulting? That team had an insane amount of talent. Sounds like you hate small market teams. I have no problem with a small market team winning it all. That's why there is a salary cap, so the big market teams can't rule the league.

Also, small market teams usually have to work harder to build a great team. Usually they have to draft very well and hold on to their players, since most big name free agents don't want to to go Utah or Oklahoma City. I usually pull for the smaller market teams, if anything.

Big Quett
09-30-2008, 04:12 AM
^ I doubt it, when the Celtics are done Wining rings , and providing Spurs are already done Lakers will take over, then Blazers.

Yeah then by that time the Grizz will take over :dance::cheers:

Big Quett
09-30-2008, 04:16 AM
If there wasnt parity we small market teams would not have nothing to dream about. Or at least hope for and then i think that would really kill the league if things like the draft wasnt able to bring hope to those small franchises that someday maybe we will be good one day like the Hornets or the jazz teams like that

barreleffact
09-30-2008, 07:58 AM
So if the 2002 Sac Kings team had won, it would be insulting? That team had an insane amount of talent. Sounds like you hate small market teams. I have no problem with a small market team winning it all. That's why there is a salary cap, so the big market teams can't rule the league.

Also, small market teams usually have to work harder to build a great team. Usually they have to draft very well and hold on to their players, since most big name free agents don't want to to go Utah or Oklahoma City. I usually pull for the smaller market teams, if anything.

insulting was probably the wrong choice of words, but when i see a dynasty..i want it to come from a bigger city. when i see everything's pretty even...it just seems off. its like in school when EVERYONEE thinks they are legit, when in reality barring some huge mishap there are only a few real talents. thats my beef, i hate super egos of teams with no shot. like melo saying they can win 60 games. dude i dont give a F if you go 82-0 if you cant pass the 1st round. i know all about the salary cap used to help smaller teams, and it works. Tim Duncan is the biggest example of what a great player can do for a smaller market.

all in all, let me change my argument a little. it depends on the roster. if utah could win this year or in the 90's, that wouldve been fine with me. i hated the pistons but thats style of play and the egos of their players. but guys like cp3, lebron, bosh, D12 you cant really help but pull for so it does depend on the main guy, but id still rather the elite teams dominate. i mean they are elite for a reason, they generate the most money. what would happen if the lakers lost for like 10-15 years? it would be a huge problem...the again, the knicks fans have always been faithful so i could be wrong

Wilson
09-30-2008, 08:36 AM
I think most people just want to see their teams do well, which is an obvious point, but if you really love the sport and game of basketball, you will watch no matter if your team is any good or if they have any stars. And I think having parity just makes things much more interesting.

I agree 100% with that.

It's like soccer, every friggin year it's Man U, Arsenal, Liverpool, and Chelsea.

Yep, and it get's very boring.

I like how in the NBA, if you want to build a succesful team, you need some sort of strategy, instead of just having more money than the other guy. The Spurs are probably the best example of that, they used the draft stretegically drafting Ginobili 57th in '99, and Parker 28th in '01, then avoided going after big time free agents and just let their youngsters develop amongst solid veterens and Tim Duncan.

JordansBulls
09-30-2008, 04:31 PM
If there wasnt parity we small market teams would not have nothing to dream about. Or at least hope for and then i think that would really kill the league if things like the draft wasnt able to bring hope to those small franchises that someday maybe we will be good one day like the Hornets or the jazz teams like that

exactly and then the sport only becomes about the top 5 or so franchises that have money and fans all over.

Like in Baseball I the Yankees always make the playoffs, but now it is good to see a new team get in Tampa Bay. It gives other small market teams a chance to believe that they can get in and win as well.

cmellofan15
09-30-2008, 09:43 PM
exactly and then the sport only becomes about the top 5 or so franchises that have money and fans all over.

Like in Baseball I the Yankees always make the playoffs, but now it is good to see a new team get in Tampa Bay. It gives other small market teams a chance to believe that they can get in and win as well.

LOL But what if the fans don't even care anymore?

Anyway, I'd like to see the Bobcats or Bucks sneak into the Playoffs this year, it would make things more interesting to me.

Also one of my favorite moments BBall history was when the Warriors SWEPT the Bullets in one of the greatest upsets in NBA history.

Raps18-19 Champ
09-30-2008, 10:50 PM
Yes

SAVAGE CLAW
09-30-2008, 11:07 PM
When was the last time a small market won the nba? Never?, Then what do they have to dream about?

Oh and the ratings are not precisely good when a Small Market team reaches the finals, See Cavs vs Spurs.

SAVAGE CLAW
09-30-2008, 11:11 PM
Oh and about English soccer.

Since ive been watching ( 20 + years) Ive seen only Lakers, Celtics, Bulls, Pistons, Spurs, Rockets,and Heat win the Nba thats 7 teams.

English soccer league ive seen Liverpool,Manchester United,Arsenal, Chelsea,Everton,Leeds,Newcastle Utd, Blackburn Rovers, Thats 1 more team.

And if we talk About champions league then, Barcelona,Madrid,Oporto,Marseille,Milan,Juventus,R ed Star,Steaua,Borussia,Bayern,Psv,Ajax,Manchester,Li verpool. Talk About Parity.....

barreleffact
09-30-2008, 11:13 PM
When was the last time a small market won the nba? Never?, Then what do they have to dream about?

Oh and the ratings are not precisely good when a Small Market team reaches the finals, See Cavs vs Spurs.

the spurs are a small market, and theyve won 4 times. and yea, nobody cares about smaller markets so ratings are horrible. i personally hate the spurs even though i respect their game. and clevelands market isnt huge either, so with lebron gettin served every game...it wasnt really much to watch regardless

SAVAGE CLAW
09-30-2008, 11:18 PM
Spurs are a Relative small market, you know, being the main TEXAS team .... well i wouldnt call that small market, of course whenever they go back to being nothing special then the marketing from the state will be gone and yes they will be a little town team again.

barreleffact
09-30-2008, 11:23 PM
I really would be hesitant to call the spurs the main taxas team all things considered. houston has to be in the discussion too. i mean in the 90's while jordan was out they had sum nice runs, and now they have a good squad. ring wise, this has been a spur dynasty but fanbase wise, there are a lot of spur haters

SAVAGE CLAW
09-30-2008, 11:30 PM
Anyway, salary cap does not ensure parity, its shown by the number of teams out of the 30 with a title, the number of them who hog 70% ot the total titles and the very few teams that have reached it in the last 30 years.

You could eliminate Salary cap and it wouldnt change so much, some years the Lakers would win, others boston, others chicago or Ny , some of them Phily and every now and then a small market team, YES small Market Teams.

In the last 25 years small market teams have won the main soccer leagues in europe sometime too.

Italy: Hellas Verona.

Spain:Deportivo La Coruņa.

England: Leeds, Blackburn.

Germany:Dortmund,Brehmen,Schalke.

France: Lille.Nantes.

barreleffact
09-30-2008, 11:37 PM
I guarantee if the cap was removed all the rings would go to LA, NY, or MIA type of cities. Smaller markets would have to draft exceptionally well just to compare. And I dont necessarily even consider Chicago to have a great market. Sure financially, but as far as gathering players their only rings came through Jordan