PDA

View Full Version : Five Things We Learned in the NBA This Week

phlp_bj
09-28-2008, 07:17 PM
There's No One Like Baron
I got a chance to spend darned near half a day with Baron Davis in the summer of 2007 in Las Vegas at Abunassar Impact Basketball, and I'll say this: dude is a different kind of cat. I don't mean this in a bad way. He's a lot of fun to hang out with and not afraid to shake things up a little bit (not that this spontaneity and short-attention span doesn't leave his coaches a little bewildered and mildly frustrated at times).

Avery's "Little" Dictatorship
Last season was a tough one for the Dallas Mavericks. After such a tough season two things generally happen: heads roll and scapegoats emerge. Looks like Dirk and the Mavericks have found theirs.

"I had a good time with Avery [Johnson]," Nowitzki told the Dallas Morning News. "But sometimes I wish we had communicated a little more. We all know Avery ran a little dictatorship here. I think this league is still a league of players, not a coaches league."

It Went By So Quick
Is it just me or does it seem like Jason "White Chocolate" Williams just entered the league yesterday? When Williams was a rookie I was playing... err, I mean sitting on the bench... in college. I remember taking my best shot at imitating some of Williams' flashy moves with friends and teammates. In many ways, he was a sensation when he first entered the league on a Sacramento Kings team that quickly became the most exciting team in the league to watch.

I Knew Pat Summitt Was Tough But...
I have to admit I'm not a connoisseur of women's basketball. That said, I'm very familiar with Pat Summitt and believe she's an amazing basketball coach by virtue of her accomplishments at the University of Tennessee.

I've always thought Summitt would have more than a puncher's chance at success coaching in the NBA. However, then I come to my senses and realize she would send half of her team home in tears everyday and put a couple of her players on the injured list with severely bruised egos every season.

The Journalistic Version of a BP Fastball
Here's a shock: when asked a question about his team's chances next season, Ben Wallace told NBA.com he thinks his team can be very good.

"I like our roster right now. I like the pieces that we've added. Along with the veterans that are coming back, I think we have the opportunity to win a Championship," Wallace said.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=10081

JOSETHEALLSTAR
09-28-2008, 09:16 PM
nice read