PDA

View Full Version : How to win or at least do good in a fantasy bball league

AirJordanXVIII
09-28-2008, 06:33 PM
1. Always draft a center in the 1st two round. Always. I didnt listen to this and I failed horrible.

2. Focus on percentages a lot.

3. Dont get caught up in that big time scorer name (McGrady) who will kill you in percentages.....

4. ALWAYS GOOD AFTER THE PLAYERS THAT WILL HELP YOU IN THE CAT THAT YOU ARE STRUGGLING IN CURRENTLY. I've gone by the BPA method and I have never gotten 1st...

5. When you are able to go after the BPA go for the straight up best one you see even if you have a surplus of that position. You can always trade him later

6. PAY ATTENTION!!! Dont read a mag or something, because then when you draft turn comes up you only have 1 1/2 minutes to think up what your gonna do....

7. Try and go after those "rare" type of players that are good in a cat that they arent supposed to be... like Nash in his FG% and Amare/Big Z/Yao in their FT%....

That's about it. In case you guys havent seen the team I based this method off of, check out the "Is this the nastiest fantasy team ever?" thread.

And also. Dont waste a 1st or 2nd round pick on Dwight Howard. Cant stress this enough. He is the most overrated fantasy player... Anything AFTER the 2nd round is fine.

LD V2.0
10-01-2008, 01:10 PM
You don't need to draft a center in the first two rounds to do well. I think with the center position its more important that you make sure that some of your forwards have center eligibility. Also theres the point that not every league forces you to start two centers.

I somewhat agree with the third point. Don't get caught up with name brands. Example, don't draft Melo in round two just because he could net you 30PPG, thats only one category and if you check his ranking history he usually falls in between 25th-40th in fantasy leagues. Basically, look well beyond real life hype. Real llife hype will kill you. Real life hype will have you drafting Tony Parker over Jose Calderon and thats the difference between having a top 90 player or a top 25 player.

Dwight will be a 1st rounder this year and he's worth it if you draft accordingly after.

My recommendation would be to...

1.) Build a draft board of players outside the top 3 or 4 rounds; the first three rounds are almost a lock to go down in a similar fashion in most leagues.

2.) Develop a board of potential sleepers which can be had late to round out your roster.

3.) Players who deliver across the board are golden.

Everything after the draft is tip top secret. Figure it out yourself through bad choices, just like I did. :D

AirJordanXVIII
10-01-2008, 07:12 PM
^^ Good post. Although I think Dwight is nowhere near 1st round value... And Melo actually is averaging like 7 boards and has decent %'s... So I actually like him for roto purposes...

BTW, if your doing a Yahoo Public league, you are forced to start two centers, so yea, if you dont please refrain from my center drafting tip.

LD V2.0
10-02-2008, 03:58 PM
Yahoo is customizable. You don't need to start any depending on the league you're entering.

Melo isn't that great in head to head play.

Based on Dwight's ranking last season he's deserving of a 2nd round choice. However, once you add in the upside he shoots up a lot higher. I think this year he's going to have a fantasy impact to that of Shaq five or six years ago.

AirJordanXVIII
10-02-2008, 05:21 PM
Yea, but Shaq five years ago wasnt a 2nd round pick in my mind still. I just hate bombing up one catagory.

futureheisman
10-03-2008, 07:39 PM
meol isnt a great fantasy player

AirJordanXVIII
10-03-2008, 09:06 PM
I thought that too last year, but I saw him picking up the boards, and while it might not help his team in real life (like it was balls that just came to him), it helps alot in fantasy.

25.7 ppg
7.4 rpg (huge suprise)
3.4 apg
1.3 spg

35% from 3
50% FG
80% FT

I didnt know, but this guy is a pretty damn solid fantasy player.