PDA

View Full Version : Nomar...Managing for tonight N Sweeny is his Bench Coach!!!

banglawiz
09-28-2008, 03:17 PM
Torre sits out this one
He'll hand the reins over to Garciaparra, continuing a tradition he had when with the Yankees.
By Dylan Hernandez, Los Angeles Times Staff Writer
September 28, 2008
SAN FRANCISCO -- Nomar Garciaparra will manage the Dodgers today, as Joe Torre will continue a tradition that he had with the New York Yankees of handing his team over to a veteran on the last day of the regular season.

"When I told him Manny wasn't playing, he got a little disappointed," Torre said of Garciaparra.

Garciaparra shrugged and laughed.

"Who needs Manny?" he said. "I'm just kidding, of course."

Mark Sweeney will be Garciaparra's bench coach.

Asked whether Dodgers owner Frank McCourt would pay him for the Dodgers' 162nd game, Torre jokingly replied, "That's an appearance fee."

Torre, who counted Roger Clemens and Bernie Williams among his managers for a day with the Yankees, said he started the tradition when he was managing the New York Mets as a way to quiet catcher John Stearns. He said Stearns approached him four times in that game to ask for advice but that he never gave him any.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-dodfyi28-2008sep28,0,1907287.story

Interesting! :D lol

Lets see how nomar handles things!

simihi
09-28-2008, 03:23 PM
I think this will be pretty fun to watch. Torre said Nomar couldn't start himself but could pinch-hit himself, wonder if he will.

The 6-4-3
09-28-2008, 03:26 PM
Sounds pretty good to me. Nomars lineup and pitching choices should be fun

nme
09-28-2008, 03:30 PM
sounds like fun. good way to usher in the playoffs.

rasajr23
09-28-2008, 03:38 PM
I dont know if its possible but if it were I would love to see Nomar put Mariano Duncan in as a pinch hitter......that would be classic!!!!...

nme
09-28-2008, 03:41 PM
Nomar is off to a bad start IMO.

Slappy leading off, WTF?

banglawiz
09-28-2008, 03:42 PM
Today's lineup, chosen by manager Nomar Garciaparra
By Tony Jackson on September 28, 2008 12:11 PM | Permalink | Comments (1) | ShareThis

He didn't put himself in it, but he did say he won't be afraid to send either himself or his bench coach, Mark Sweeney, up to pinch hit. Tim Lincecum pitching for the Giants today and trying to cement his Cy Young credentials, so the boys will have their work cut out for them.

Pierre, LF
Ethier, RF
Kemp, CF
Blake, 3B
Loney, 1B
Dewitt, 2B
Berroan, SS
Ellis, C
Kuroda, P

Not Bad! :D lol

Tymathee
09-28-2008, 04:33 PM
yea not bad. I like Kemp 3rd.

does this mean that Nomar has a future in managing??...i hope not.

The 6-4-3
09-28-2008, 05:29 PM
did you see JP's catch to rob a Homerun?

DodgerBlue2008
09-28-2008, 06:35 PM
It's a cool idea, but I wish they would have made Maddux the pitching coach. Maybe it would have been so obvious a choice that Torre decided to go with something different? Out of the current Dodgers though, I wonder who has the best chance to be manager or coaches.

Tapptout
09-29-2008, 08:07 PM
Too bad Nomar had to face Lincecum lol