PDA

View Full Version : Power Rankings

Tom81
09-28-2008, 10:22 AM
Best and worst over past six seasons

As we approach the seventh season that ESPN.com has entrusted me with its NBA Power Rankings, this seemed like the perfect appetizer.

Remember that "surprise" we vaguely mentioned in our final regular-season helping on April 14? As requested by a few loyal readers, we have tallied up how all 30 clubs have fared with the committee (of one) since the 2002-03 campaign.

We've clicked back through the archives to find the rankings highs, lows and average placement for every team in our weekly, thoroughly un-automated pulse take of the league. The annual batch of rankings that will take us into training camp for the start of the 2008-09 season is coming Monday.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?columnist=stein_marc&page=PowerRankings0208

ESPN.com

enjoy.you also can create your own ranking.

JOSETHEALLSTAR
09-28-2008, 11:55 AM
fair list

JordansBulls
09-28-2008, 01:57 PM
Pretty interesting that the Pacers are that high. They were good though in the middle years of 2003-2005.

cmellofan15
09-28-2008, 01:59 PM
I thought the Lakers would be worse b/c of the season when they went through the coaching changes

BTW did they make the Playoffs that season?/

_Sn1P3r_
09-28-2008, 02:20 PM
Yeah, not a bad list.

Sox Appeal
09-28-2008, 02:21 PM
The Pistons are number 3.

Seems fair.

Blue Tiger
09-28-2008, 03:01 PM
The list is almost fair but the Knicks and the Hawks need to trade spots.

Lebron23
09-28-2008, 07:21 PM
The Cavaliers became a better team after drafting LeBron in the 2003 NBA Draft, and i think we will be a top 2 teams in the East next year.

yaowowrocket11
09-28-2008, 07:27 PM
List looks pretty good and similar to what I would have made it.

cmellofan15
09-28-2008, 08:57 PM
The Cavaliers became a better team after drafting LeBron in the 2003 NBA Draft, and i think we will be a top 2 teams in the East next year.

No, i'm almost certain they won't be it's always Detriot up there and Boston seems to have the #1 spot locked up already. I think they might make top 5 but this is how I think it will be if the Cav's do their best

Boston
Detroit
Orlando
Philly/Wizards (if everyones healthy)
Cav's/Toronto

Lebron23
09-28-2008, 09:00 PM
A Healthy, motivated, hungry LeBron and Mo Williams = 50 wins in the New and Improve Eastern Conference.

We almost beat the Celtics in the 2nd round of the playoffs, and our defense is much tougher and better than the Orlando Magic and Toronto Raptors.

If the Cavs drafted Darko or Melo in 2003, this team is still sucking in the first round of the post season.

dre1990
09-28-2008, 09:09 PM
Pistons should be 2 IMO, but a good list

cmellofan15
09-28-2008, 10:16 PM
A Healthy, motivated, hungry LeBron and Mo Williams = 50 wins in the New and Improve Eastern Conference.

We almost beat the Celtics in the 2nd round of the playoffs, and our defense is much tougher and better than the Orlando Magic and Toronto Raptors.

If the Cavs drafted Darko or Melo in 2003, this team is still sucking in the first round of the post season.

So did the Hawks so don't try to use that in this situation.
And their D isn't neccesarily better than Orlando and Toronto since they only improved and their D's were better last season (Orlando's was). With the addition of JO for the Raps and Pietrus for the Magic the Cavs defense won't have an elite defense compared to many teams in the East

And BTW if they drafted Mello the outcome will be the same for the Cavs NO RINGS and right now Denver is better than the Cavs so it doesn't even matter.

lakers4sho
09-28-2008, 10:19 PM
I thought the Lakers would be worse b/c of the season when they went through the coaching changes

BTW did they make the Playoffs that season?/

no

Lebron23
09-28-2008, 10:47 PM
So did the Hawks so don't try to use that in this situation.
And their D isn't neccesarily better than Orlando and Toronto since they only improved and their D's were better last season (Orlando's was). With the addition of JO for the Raps and Pietrus for the Magic the Cavs defense won't have an elite defense compared to many teams in the East

And BTW if they drafted Mello the outcome will be the same for the Cavs NO RINGS and right now Denver is better than the Cavs so it doesn't even matter.

Because the Atlanta Hawks don't have LeBron James on their team, and we only loss by less than 5 points in Game 7 of the Eastern Conference Semifinals.

JO is almost done that's why the Pacers traded him because he's injury prone while Pietrus is still a black hole on offense.

Hedo will be a free agent next year i doubt he will resign with the Orlando Magic. Turkoglu will probably sign with a contending team.

Melo have no success in the playoffs because he suddenly disappear againts the Spurs & Lakers, and he's like Grant Hill and T-Mac Superstar players that cannot lead a team in the 2nd round.

Melo is the epitome of a true loser in the NBA because the league hype him, when he was a rookie after his team won a Championship in the NCAA.

JordansBulls
09-28-2008, 10:53 PM
Pistons should be 2 IMO, but a good list

I think they could be as well. However the Mavs have won over 50+ games yearly since then and so have the Spurs. I think both teams are the only teams to do that.

Tom81
09-29-2008, 12:01 PM
yeah but pistons make 6 ECF in a row..not bad

cmstophe
09-29-2008, 04:51 PM

LMFAO

These forums are so hilarious it isnt even funny; the Cavs hate seeps through every single nook and cranny, it's hilarious.

Nets fan 93
09-29-2008, 07:07 PM
RK TEAM AVG W AVG L PCT HI RK LO RK AVG RK
10 New Jersey Nets 44 38 .537 2 27 13.72

High: Wk 4, 2002-03 (most recent of 3) | Low: Wk 4, 2004-05 | Rankings archive

Just another sign of the tough times confronting the Nets (and Nets fans) as they adjust to life in full-on rebuilding mode: Indiana's surprising success in this history lesson means that New Jersey, while waiting for that move to Brooklyn, has to settle for third place among Leastern Conference teams in spite of the three Titanic Division titles it won in 2002-03, 2003-04 and 2005-06.
Pinch me, I'm dreaming...:speechless:
edit: NVM :(

cmellofan15
09-29-2008, 07:49 PM
LMFAO

These forums are so hilarious it isnt even funny; the Cavs hate seeps through every single nook and cranny, it's hilarious.

The Cav's aren't important enough to hate on so just stop flattering yourself the only thing they have is LeBron and who really hates LeBron?

Beno7500
09-29-2008, 08:13 PM
kings!

cmstophe
09-29-2008, 09:23 PM
The Cav's aren't important enough to hate on so just stop flattering yourself the only thing they have is LeBron and who really hates LeBron?

Why aren't they important? They are much, much better than whatever team you root for, I'm sure. Any team that makes the playoffs every year and out of the first round is worth following, I think.

Quit being a stuck up prick and put down the haterade.

JayW_1023
09-30-2008, 05:04 AM
Bah! People say every year that the Spurs are done...last year we we're too banged up to give the Lakers a good series...if everyone is healthy come playoff time, the Spurs may still pull out another one. It's still an uneven year...lol.

I do think our window is closing...I don't expect more than one more title in the Tim Duncan era.