PDA

View Full Version : Can Karl really change his coaching and the team's play for the better?

DenButsu
09-28-2008, 06:21 AM
Okay, so I made a post making fun (http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/showthread.php?t=275783) of Karl, so I'll make one that takes him seriously for a while, too. (I know some might not think he deserves it, but he didn't get fired, he's still the coach of the team, and we have to live with that reality for another season, like it or not). And in spite of Camby's departure, there are some legitimate reasons (http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/showthread.php?t=269010) for believing that this team could actually improve.

From this article in the Denver Post (http://www.denverpost.com/nuggets/ci_10578739), it sounds like Karl and they players are really intent on making a good season of it, and it sounds like Karl is really serious about changing his coaching style, the team philosophy, raising the bar on the commitment he's expecting from the players, and changing the style of basketball the team plays as well as the types of rotations he makes.

I know, we've heard talk before that wasn't ultimately backed up, but here's what they're saying, and the question is, do you believe it? Can Karl really change his coaching and the team's play for the better?

Karl
The team slipped away a bit from Karl last season and he vows not to have a repeat this time around. Karl said he will demand more respect this season and doesn't foresee any issues in that endeavor.

"The window of mutual interpretation, player-coach mutual respect for one another, I think they stepped on the coach a little bit too much last year," Karl said. "And that's easy to change. From the first day, the culture is different, the rules are different, the rewards are different."

Pressed on how he would enforce it, Karl kept the answer general.

"You define the commitment differently," he said. "The hammer is going to be bigger."

Part of that will manifest itself in the Nuggets' substitution pattern.

"Our concepts are going to have to be stronger," Karl said. "Our commitment at every position is going to have to be better focused. There's probably going to be more substitution for lack of focus and commitment than before."
---------------------------------------------

"There's fans out there, there's people out there writing the doomsday of the Denver Nuggets," Karl said. "I like my team. It's faster and quicker than it's ever been. It could be deeper than it's ever been. And it has defensive weapons more so than ever before."

"The pendulum is swinging to the younger guys to sustain a winning excellence that gives you an opportunity to continue," Karl said. "Instead of going from a 50-win team down to a 30-win team and trying to come back, I think we can sustain the 40s, maybe the 50s."

"It'll have a different face," Karl said of the team philosophy. "There will probably be more post-ups with Nene in the game. There's probably more in-out basketball. Nene in pick and rolls two years ago at the end of the season was as good as anyone. Marcus wasn't a great pick-and-roll player. So there's an asset there.

"The priority of defense this training camp will be higher than ever before. And I think the players will see that very easily in our first few practices."

J.R.
"We haven't proved ourselves the last four or five years," Smith said. "We keep getting knocked out of the first round. I like (the predictions). There's no pressure on us then. So then we come out and really surprise people. I just hope we do it this year."

Melo
"Don't forget the team that we have," Anthony said. "We have two of the best scorers in NBA history. You have Kenyon (Martin). J.R. Smith, the way he came around at the end of the season, how he helped us out in the playoffs and at the end of the season. And hopefully we can see a healthier, more in-shape Nene. But I can tell you what, we're not hanging our heads right now. We will be a Western Conference contender. We're still going to play hard every night."

I have to admit, I like all the things Karl is saying... but of course the real question is whether he can lead the team in translating that into an on-court reality.

Can he?

TheFuture6
09-28-2008, 06:32 AM
GK should talk to the NBA board here at PSD, his colorful metaphors can make believers out of anybody!

Tom81
09-28-2008, 06:53 AM
No, I don't think so.

Kohaku
09-28-2008, 04:02 PM
He's just talking big. Repeat of last year.

AIMelo=KillaDUO
09-29-2008, 02:29 AM
Yeah he's just sayin what we wanna hear.

IndyFan
09-29-2008, 03:55 PM
karl is not the problem.

the player mix is the problem. too many 'me first' guys and too many guys that have to have the ball to be effective. plus iverson's size disadvantage at the SG compounds the defensive issues of a team that is not interested in playing any defense. none of those things are the coaches fault.

:)

SUNDUNDIDIT
09-29-2008, 05:24 PM
karl is not the problem.

the player mix is the problem. too many 'me first' guys and too many guys that have to have the ball to be effective. plus iverson's size disadvantage at the SG compounds the defensive issues of a team that is not interested in playing any defense. none of those things are the coaches fault.

:)

Karl is a problem, he has Steven Hunter on the bench who he never plays....

From what I heard, he rarely had practice last year....

He's not intense enough to tell grown man millionaires that they need to shapen up and play better...

He sits there chewing candy, looking oblivious, while the team gets a mudhole stomped in their a-hole, because he doesn't want to risk yelling and gettin a heart attack...

Now if we had Avery Johnson, he would be on players *****.....He wouldn't be afraid to yell at the players and tell them to discipline themselves, or go send a request to the manager to trade you....No, we stuck with a coach who tries approachin the situations casual!! We need a coach with intensity....We need a coach who's going to be pissed instead of having petty disappointment.

Karl is a problem...He doesn't motivate players....Thats the job of a coach....To get his players in line, and work on the chemistry, and not rely on the players to find it themselves with no guidance.....Coaches are paid big money too, and their job requirement is to COACH!!

JordansBulls
09-29-2008, 05:51 PM
Okay, so I made a post making fun (http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/showthread.php?t=275783) of Karl, so I'll make one that takes him seriously for a while, too. (I know some might not think he deserves it, but he didn't get fired, he's still the coach of the team, and we have to live with that reality for another season, like it or not). And in spite of Camby's departure, there are some legitimate reasons (http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/showthread.php?t=269010) for believing that this team could actually improve.

From this article in the Denver Post (http://www.denverpost.com/nuggets/ci_10578739), it sounds like Karl and they players are really intent on making a good season of it, and it sounds like Karl is really serious about changing his coaching style, the team philosophy, raising the bar on the commitment he's expecting from the players, and changing the style of basketball the team plays as well as the types of rotations he makes.

I know, we've heard talk before that wasn't ultimately backed up, but here's what they're saying, and the question is, do you believe it? Can Karl really change his coaching and the team's play for the better?

I have to admit, I like all the things Karl is saying... but of course the real question is whether he can lead the team in translating that into an on-court reality.

Can he?

What I don't get is that he coached the Sonics in the 90's and they were the 2nd best defensive team after the Bulls in 1996. So I'm not sure why his coaching is not considered any good anymore.

SUNDUNDIDIT
09-29-2008, 06:06 PM
What I don't get is that he coached the Sonics in the 90's and they were the 2nd best defensive team after the Bulls in 1996. So I'm not sure why his coaching is not considered any good anymore.

Yeah, and we remember how good his coaching prevailed when he was in the playoffs then right??....Need I post a reminder???? Okay..I will!!! :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XGt25SRmdg

DenButsu
09-29-2008, 10:08 PM
I'm probably being foolish by doing so, but I'm going to go ahead and vote on the side of optimism here.

It's not that Karl or most of the players have given us much reason to give them the benefit of the doubt - they haven't. But I'll vote "yes" in this poll based on two assumptions - and admit in advance that I could easily be wrong about either:

1. Everybody on the team is genuinely upset about their epic failure against the Lakers. Unlike the prevoius year, when they could at least walk away from the Spurs series with pride in the fact that they put up a noble fight, this time was, by any measure, a total embarrassment. And I think it's one that most of them will take personally. I think it will feed into an increased intensity and sense of urgency this season that I hope will be visible in increased effort and results on the court.

2. All the indications from within the roster (with the exception of the Atkins injury) this offseason have been very, very positive - and that will mean better basketball is on the way. Nene limited his time in Brazil to only two weeks, opting instead to stick around for most of the summer in an effort to do better training, conditioning and rehabilitation over the summer. He also backed out of playing for Brazil, which hopefully will mean he's going into training camp fully intact and well rested (in the good way, not in the "resting on the couch getting fat eating cheeseburgers" way). Every single report about J.R. Smith since season's end has just been brimming with praise for his hard work, focus, great attitude, etc. I'm keeping all of my fingers and toes crossed, but I think he's just going to explode this season, I really do. And I think we'll see him emerge as a much better defender and ball handler than he's ever been. Our own PSD poster eman saw Chris Andersen training up at Red Rocks, and according to the Birdman himself, he's been working his *** off. I think the impact of him and Balkman joining the team won't just be measured in their (probably limited) minutes on the court, but also in their energizing impact on the team ethos (think last year's "scramble squad"). Klieza had a great outing in the Olympics (except for those last two games, when he choked), beating Argentina with a buzzer beater, and putting in some very impressive overall performances that helped give Lithuania a big stretch of success until they ultimately collapsed at the end. Melo's Olympic run with Team USA could end up being a major turning point in his career, if he builds on the great efforts he made for America in the areas of defense and rebounding and really fleshes out his game to be that "more complete" player he needs to be to really reach that superstardom level. It's up to him, but I think he's got it in him. And the taste of big success on the heels of big failure has, I hope, fed his motivation to win. K-Mart has slimmed down, which should decrease his potential for re-injury (unfortunately Nene is at 270 now, and I hope he drops some of that). I think with Nene in the low post keeping defenses honest, and Melo and AI on the wings, Kenyon's going to have a lot of room to maneuver and make a return to that high-flying, slam-dunking, in-your-face offensive style that got him to the All-Stars in NJ. And AI is still AI, of course. But the best news of all, is that there was no news - no drama, no health crises, no car crashes, no fights, no police blotter stories, no distractions, no bull****.

C-Dub
09-30-2008, 07:26 AM
well, melo is still out the first 2 games, but i think we will be fine without him those games to be honest with you, itll be hard though, i think utah is one of the games

C-Dub
09-30-2008, 07:26 AM
but yes, i suppose i agree now, lol

IBleedPurple
10-01-2008, 07:34 PM
Karl says this every season. Somewhere the point is lost on the players...probably because we have the "me-first" superstars as said above.

Remember last year "we are gonna totally focus on defense, and we aren't gonna just talk about it, we're gonna do it"

I think he is a quality coach, but he cannot lead a team to a championship.

I guess we'll see. With our talent, anything is possible.

We need AVERY

C-Dub
10-01-2008, 09:29 PM
well according to that post by DEN in the training camp thread, they did nothing but defense all practice...so far so good

IBleedPurple
10-02-2008, 08:05 PM
i think we really need the defense to step up, and a little more half court offense

we always get slowed down in the playoffs running the fast break, this isn't the 80's

but i'll wait for results, we need more of a team instead of a bunch of players with the same jerseys