PDA

View Full Version : Nuggets believe they can win 60 games

JordansBulls
09-28-2008, 12:28 AM
Source: RockyMountainNews (http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/sep/27/nuggets-believe-they-can-win-60-games/)

“We’ve got a chance to win 50 to 60 (games),” forward Carmelo Anthony said. “We’ve got a chance to be one of the best teams in the NBA.”

Anthony spoke of 60 last season, and the Nuggets went 50-32. But guard Allen Iverson and forward Kenyon Martin said they have the talent to add 10 to that.

“Sixty games,” Martin said. “We won 50 games last year and came in eighth place (in the West). It will take 60 to be in the top three. So, I think so.”

Epic89
09-28-2008, 12:30 AM
:rolleyes::rolleyes:

They may not win 40.

Iodine
09-28-2008, 12:32 AM
Kmart should worry about playing in 60 games and keeping his hate of george karl under murderiing him

GiantYankKnicks
09-28-2008, 12:33 AM
lol there worse then last year and they expect to win 60? they wont even make the playoffs this year

SAVAGE CLAW
09-28-2008, 12:34 AM

No Reliable Point Guard.......... They just signed MATEEN CLEAVES......and he has a GOOD chance to be the STARTER.......

Iverson its cutting JRs Progression.

Melo is.....Melo.....Duy!!!.

K-Mart is not half the shadows of what he was.

Nene as center? Lord Please......

The bench consists basically in Jr who shouldnt be there Kleiza and now balkman and a lot of Nothing......

They will be lucky to make the Playoffs.

Its a pity... i quite like the team.

ARMIN12NBA
09-28-2008, 12:39 AM
Is Carmelo going out drinking again? I guess so... :rolleyes:

Kyle N.
09-28-2008, 12:48 AM
:laugh: Well, at least he's optimistic.

blazerman
09-28-2008, 12:51 AM
I think they could hit 50 plus games if you count summer league and preseason victories!!

THE MTL
09-28-2008, 12:53 AM
They'll be lucky to hit 40.
1. Lost only defensive player.
2. Iverson not given extension.
3. Clearly in cost-cutting mode preparing for some type of new era.

I see Allen Iverson being traded mid-season actually.

JIDsanity
09-28-2008, 01:02 AM
They can, but they won't

yojoe792
09-28-2008, 01:18 AM
They can, but they won't

What the hell does that mean???:confused:

They can't win 60 games, meaning they will not win 60 games. They are less talented then last year, 0 defense, 0 chemistry.

JermanJaysFan
09-28-2008, 02:06 AM
What the hell does that mean???:confused:

They can't win 60 games, meaning they will not win 60 games. They are less talented then last year, 0 defense, 0 chemistry.

He is saying that they have the talent to win 60 games, but that talent won't materialize into 60 wins...

FlawlessKB24
09-28-2008, 02:11 AM
seriously, wtf do you want them to say?
"i dont know if we can even win 40"

every team believes they could win 60, or at least they should.

goku
09-28-2008, 02:27 AM
:laugh2:

bball1217
09-28-2008, 02:32 AM
we will see...

LakerzDQ
09-28-2008, 06:18 AM

yeah. why give up before the season even starts? :confused:

Tom81
09-28-2008, 06:25 AM
:laugh: Well, at least he's optimistic.

yeah

LakerzDQ
09-28-2008, 06:33 AM
what if the lakers said "we could get to the finals" before the season started last year? you guys would be laughing for the same reason.

what if the hornets said they were gonna be 2nd seed in the west? you guys would be laughing. anything can happen.

Wilson
09-28-2008, 07:04 AM
I can't see it happening, they're a lot weaker with Camby gone. But DQ is right, if they don't have any belief or optimism going into the season, they're already finished.

DenButsu
09-28-2008, 07:52 AM
lol there worse then last year

Everybody thinks so - but I think everybody's wrong (ever wrote a blog about it :cool: ).

But Melo said the same thing last year. Dude gets a bad rap, but he can at times (like this) say some stupid **** that feeds into that perception. I for one would much rather hear him say that he'll be committed to improving his defense, rebounding, and inside game, and will be focusing on that in training camp.

Even more than that I'd like to hear actual reports from training camp that that's really going on, and nothing out of his mouth at all. But I don't begrudge his positive thinking. There are plenty of legit reasons to think this team can still go far in spite of losing Camby (or, imho, because of it).

AI-JR-Melo-K-Mart-Nene is still a pretty ****ing sick starting 5. Kleiza, Balkman, Chucky, Birdman, AC, Hunter off the bench. It's pretty much Suns ball - small and fast - that we'll be looking at. But that should be pretty effective, I think. Hollinger last season wrote a really interesting piece on the Nuggets in which he made the case that Denver should actually go smaller and faster to maximize the effectiveness of the AI-Melo combo. Not sure if I can find that again, but it was a pretty interesting take, and I think we'll get to see that theory put to the test.

amare#1
09-28-2008, 08:54 AM
I personally can't see that happening. IMO they will be doing well to win 55 games.

Raidaz4Life
09-28-2008, 08:55 AM
They'd have to put up 130 ppg to do it considering they have never heard of defense

DenButsu
09-28-2008, 09:18 AM
I personally can't see that happening. IMO they will be doing well to win 55 games.

That's a much more realistic goal.

But it should be noted that Melo did in fact say 50-60, not just flat out 60, and K-Mart said "needed" to win 60, not "would win" 60. So I don't think any of them actually said, "We will win 60 games" as the thread title would suggest.

BlondeBomber41
09-28-2008, 09:38 AM
what if the lakers said "we could get to the finals" before the season started last year? you guys would be laughing for the same reason.

what if the hornets said they were gonna be 2nd seed in the west? you guys would be laughing. anything can happen.

The Hornets actually had talent and people were picking them to be good. They just needed to stay healthy with Peja and Paul.

The Lakers would of never made it to the Finals without Pau Gasol, and they didnt have him at the beginning of the year. Bad example.

DenButsu
09-28-2008, 10:11 AM
bb, are you saying Denver doesn't have talent? That's just wrong, man...

$ NyC $
09-28-2008, 11:04 AM
Never know. They lost their defensive anchor so they're basically a pure offensive team since they don't play any D. You seriously never know they can catch fire.

$KnicksAndKobe$
09-28-2008, 11:21 AM
They need a defensive coach ...
And Karl needs to put AI at point guard and J.R at SG

AI
J.R
Melo
Martin
Nene

I say they will make the 7th spot with no serious injury's. But 9th/10th if Martin or Nene gets injured again ..

JOSETHEALLSTAR
09-28-2008, 11:33 AM
sike maybe 50 again but no way 60

Fool
09-28-2008, 11:43 AM
60 games? lol. I sincerely doubt it.

JermanJaysFan
09-28-2008, 11:58 AM
Everybody thinks so - but I think everybody's wrong (ever wrote a blog about it :cool: ).

But Melo said the same thing last year. Dude gets a bad rap, but he can at times (like this) say some stupid **** that feeds into that perception. I for one would much rather hear him say that he'll be committed to improving his defense, rebounding, and inside game, and will be focusing on that in training camp.

Even more than that I'd like to hear actual reports from training camp that that's really going on, and nothing out of his mouth at all. But I don't begrudge his positive thinking. There are plenty of legit reasons to think this team can still go far in spite of losing Camby (or, imho, because of it).

AI-JR-Melo-K-Mart-Nene is still a pretty ****ing sick starting 5. Kleiza, Balkman, Chucky, Birdman, AC, Hunter off the bench. I t's pretty much Suns ball - small and fast - that we'll be lookingat. But that should be pretty effective, I think. Hollinger last season wrote a really interesting piece on the Nuggets in which he made the case that Denver should actually go smaller and faster to maximize the effectiveness of the AI-Melo combo. Not sure if I can find that again, but it was a pretty interesting take, and I think we'll get to see that theory put to the test.
I don't think it would be that dumb to go, at least for periods:
Chucky
AI
JR
Melo
Nene/Martin

fabian11593
09-28-2008, 12:01 PM
I'll be suprised if they win 35 games.

Big Quett
09-28-2008, 12:01 PM
I really dont think they will make the playoffs this year. They are depending on K Mart and Nene. in the last 4 seasons i dont neither of them have played more than 60 games. And if by some minor miracle both of them play 70 - 80 games which is highly unlikely i still think they would be the 9th or 10th best team in the west. I think they are going to have the worst scoring defense in the league. They shipped the only person who played D on their team out for nothing

DQL
09-28-2008, 12:14 PM
what? w/o Camby the only Nugget who played D?

fairandbalanced
09-28-2008, 12:41 PM
60 games? With Iverson as their best defensive player? dream on.

Cavs_Fan24
09-28-2008, 12:52 PM
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

WOW!! They'll be lucky if they get 45 wins, especially cuz they were a crappy defensive team to begin with, and then they get rid of their top defensive player and now they're gonna be an even worse defensive team. Yehh, that'll get you 50-60 wins in the West alrightt...

MiamiHeat
09-28-2008, 12:53 PM
I don't see it happening IMO
probably 45-50 games max no more

CowboysKB24
09-28-2008, 01:10 PM
They need another piece to that team. If they can get another guy in there to help on the defensive end, they could be dangerous. Any team with AI and Melo is a threat always.

SUNDUNDIDIT
09-28-2008, 01:19 PM
Nuggets on paper is better then most teams...It's all about utilizin the talent we got.....

I'm sure Nuggets personnel and players are receptive to criticism, and hear the criticism on their defense plenty of times....

Yall actin like Camby was a ONE MAN TEAM, playin for the nuggets....Maybe the nuggets needed to get rid of the injury prone Camby, so other players would realize they have to step up.

Not too mention, Chris Anderson,Balkman will add to our defense disability, because thats what the Birdman and Balkman are here for!

cmellofan15
09-28-2008, 01:47 PM
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

WOW!! They'll be lucky if they get 45 wins, especially cuz they were a crappy defensive team to begin with, and then they get rid of their top defensive player and now they're gonna be an even worse defensive team. Yehh, that'll get you 50-60 wins in the West alrightt...

Really it would be realistic for the Cav's to win 30 games with only Mo Will, LeBron, and Z. And defense isn't only one player getting 12 boards and 2 blocks a game is it? If so wouldn't the Clippers have the best D now?

I don't think losing Camby and bringing back Nene and K-Mart is actually getting worse.

Also adding C.Anderson, R.Balkman, will add depth to their bench which alot of people believe that the Nuggets don't have. Also they will have Atkins and Carter healthy this season with JR Smith (the back up guard) and not to forget the highest scoring duo in the LEAGUE. 60 games may be going out a limb but it's a possibility but 55 is more realistic.

Big Quett
09-28-2008, 02:00 PM
Really it would be realistic for the Cav's to win 30 games with only Mo Will, LeBron, and Z. And defense isn't only one player getting 12 boards and 2 blocks a game is it? If so wouldn't the Clippers have the best D now?

I don't think losing Camby and bringing back Nene and K-Mart is actually getting worse.

Also adding C.Anderson, R.Balkman, will add depth to their bench which alot of people believe that the Nuggets don't have. Also they will have Atkins and Carter healthy this season with JR Smith (the back up guard) and not to forget the highest scoring duo in the LEAGUE. 60 games may be going out a limb but it's a possibility but 55 is more realistic.

Camby the last two years has played 70 and 79 games. Everybody knows they can score outside of the lakers they might be the most explosive team in the league .but you have to admit they were just bad on defense. And to say they will be better after losing your best defender is just delusional.

Big Quett
09-28-2008, 02:02 PM
They need another piece to that team. If they can get another guy in there to help on the defensive end, they could be dangerous. Any team with AI and Melo is a threat always.

Remember they had that guy they traded him

cmellofan15
09-28-2008, 02:06 PM
That is the point everybody knows they can score. You have to admit they were just bad on defense that is not a rumor it is the truth. And to say you will be better after losing your best defender is just delusional.

We lost him after a season where we only had him to rely on at the end and he couldn't get it done. Now if we have Nene and K-Mart at that time w/ the new additions we can get more accomplished (not to mention having all of our PG's helathy)

Big Quett
09-28-2008, 02:28 PM
We lost him after a season where we only had him to rely on at the end and he couldn't get it done. Now if we have Nene and K-Mart at that time w/ the new additions we can get more accomplished (not to mention having all of our PG's helathy)

Of course he couldnt get it done no one man can hold upthe defense for a team. I like Nene but you cant depend on him for an entire season he has only played 70 or more games twice in his 6 year career. and i will give u K Mart i think he is an underrated defender but i think Camby was better and u cant depend on him for an entire season anymore because he is just not the man he used to be. And even if Atkins and carter are healthy are u really happy about them as you pg's. And another thing you cant honestly tell me that you are okay with a starting backcourt of 6 feet guards

Jayg1712
09-28-2008, 02:43 PM

exactly. every team is gonna set high standards, why is this a big deal whatsoever?

Blue Tiger
09-28-2008, 02:53 PM
They'll be lucky to hit 40.
1. Lost only defensive player.
2. Iverson not given extension.
3. Clearly in cost-cutting mode preparing for some type of new era.

I see Allen Iverson being traded mid-season actually.

They'd have to put up 130 ppg to do it considering they have never heard of defense

I agree with both of you. Even the worst shooting team in the NBA last year(the Bulls) were able to put 100 points on the board and they got 60 wins on their minds when they are in the wild wild west with the worst defense in the NBA.

RapsGuy23
09-28-2008, 03:07 PM
Balkman is no Camby. Why the Nuggets dealt with Camby they way they did boggles me. Improving on last years 50 win season without Camby will be a significant challenge for the Nuggets especially with teams like Portland and Houston looking to make strides in an already tough competative Western Conference. I don't think they'll get to 60 wins but I hope they can prove me wrong. Time will tell.

SUNDUNDIDIT
09-28-2008, 03:08 PM
Of course he couldnt get it done no one man can hold upthe defense for a team. I like Nene but you cant depend on him for an entire season he has only played 70 or more games twice in his 6 year career. and i will give u K Mart i think he is an underrated defender but i think Camby was better and u cant depend on him for an entire season anymore because he is just not the man he used to be. And even if Atkins and carter are healthy are u really happy about them as you pg's. And another thing you cant honestly tell me that you are okay with a starting backcourt of 6 feet guards

And I guess Camby doesn't get old, and will always be a top notch blocker, and he will be dependable for the rest of his career?????

Just because Camby was a good blocker, doesn't mean he was a good defender....Camby was fragile, and he wasn't physical enough...One on one with a big man?? Camby sucked at defense as much as any other nugget last year.

I think gettin rid of deterioratin, old Camby...And givin way to Nene, and a young Steven Hunter will be good in puttin pressure on the both of them to produce at the Center position.....Camby could get hurt at any moment...He's in his 30s and he;s lanky as a mu****a, and we would risk him gettin injured.

And get it right, we got Birdman and Balkman....And we got a tall Guard with Sonny Weems, and great athletic player in J.R. [Who could possibly be an allstar one of these days]!!! AC and Chucky Atkins wont be the main focus for long, if Weems and J.R. execute properly.

Like I said, ON PAPER???Nuggets are better then most teams.....But as far as coming together and lettin that chemistry flourish???? George Karl,and the players need to work it out.

cmellofan15
09-28-2008, 03:19 PM
And I guess Camby doesn't get old, and will always be a top notch blocker, and he will be dependable for the rest of his career?????

Just because Camby was a good blocker, doesn't mean he was a good defender....Camby was fragile, and he wasn't physical enough...One on one with a big man?? Camby sucked at defense as much as any other nugget last year.

I think gettin rid of deterioratin, old Camby...And givin way to Nene, and a young Steven Hunter will be good in puttin pressure on the both of them to produce at the Center position.....Camby could get hurt at any moment...He's in his 30s and he;s lanky as a mu****a, and we would risk him gettin injured.

And get it right, we got Birdman and Balkman....And we got a tall Guard with Sonny Weems, and great athletic player in J.R. [Who could possibly be an allstar one of these days]!!! AC and Chucky Atkins wont be the main focus for long, if Weems and J.R. execute properly.

Like I said, ON PAPER???Nuggets are better then most teams.....But as far as coming together and lettin that chemistry flourish???? George Karl,and the players need to work it out.

:clap:

Also K Mart and Nene are better on ball defenders than Camby and thats exactly what they need.

Kohaku
09-28-2008, 03:56 PM
They were short of their goal last year, so I wouldn't be suprised if they even make it to 50. But being a Nuggets fan, all I can do now is hope that Melo can back up his words.

goku
09-28-2008, 04:11 PM
yea right it will be hard just to get 50 plus wins for the nuggets

$ NyC $
09-28-2008, 04:19 PM
the only way they would get their 60 wins is if A.I + K-Mart are traded for Marbury + Z-bo

Blue Tiger
09-28-2008, 04:23 PM
the only way they would get their 60 wins is if A.I + K-Mart are traded for Marbury + Z-bo

Man, you Knicks fan really want Z-Bo gone. But that wouldn't help the Nuggets that would hurt them like what's happenning with the Knicks. With your dumb rejectable trades the Denver Nuggets whould become the Denver Knicks.

cmellofan15
09-28-2008, 04:26 PM

No that's the only way Knicks can get more wins ;)

Lakersfan2483
09-28-2008, 04:52 PM
Source: RockyMountainNews (http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/sep/27/nuggets-believe-they-can-win-60-games/)

They lost Camby, and have not addressed their point guard issue and none of them are mentioning defense. I don't see this team winning more than 45 games.

hyp21
09-28-2008, 04:54 PM
All I have to say is HA...........HA. No way in hell. Nuggets will be lucky to get into the playoffs, and George Karl won't be around for the '10 season for Denver.

Big Quett
09-28-2008, 06:56 PM

And yet again people keep going back to Cambys injury history although he has played more than K Mart and Nene have done in the last 2 years. And you just didnt mention them at all. And you are depending on a guy in Chris Anderson that hasnt played in 2 years. And u said weems a rookie who hasnt even proved he can play at this level. As far as Balkman who would u take off the court to put him on it Melo, A.I., Kleiza or Smith. And check cmellofan15 last post He is the one who brought up AC and Atkins. He said with them healthy they would be better i dont think either one makes a bit of difference one way or another. I think the best opition would be to put A.I and Smith at the 1 and 2.

And lastly do u really think they can win 60 games in the west?

yaowowrocket11
09-28-2008, 06:59 PM
:rolleyes:

I'll give them 45 wins tops............

FOBolous
09-28-2008, 07:09 PM
well...miracle happens

dannyking18
09-28-2008, 07:28 PM
Ok i respect how carmelo anthony feels but lets face real facts they just dont have enough all-around talent.lets start of with

#1,no solid PG anthony carter is not a real PG in my books,not a great piece of talent on his behalf.
#2,center position they will be man handled with no big body in the middle.nene wont do,especially when the nuggs gaved up camby for a 2nd rd pick that probally wont even make the team nice desicion making lol.
#3,absolutely no defense,maybe not to late to brain wash kleiza,carmelo and k-mart to have defense in there minds every game they play.

the only great thing i see here is that they have a few great sf's kleiza and melo.if i was nuggs i'll stick my nose in pacers business and try to work a deal to bring in jamal tinsley to denver.so that way allen iverson will get alot of his back trying to play the Pg position,that would be a smart thing to do bring in tinsley..

c-nene
pf-k.mart
sf-melo
sg-A.I
pg-tinsley

bench:kleiza,jr.smith

RocketsRule
09-28-2008, 07:33 PM
No way they get 60 games, the Laker's didn't even do that last year.

They barley got 50 wins last year, and they haven't gotten better. In fact they got worse. They traded Camby, there best defensive player, for trash. Leaving, Nene who just came back from cancer, to start in his place.

My guess is around 42 wins.

TmacBryant
09-28-2008, 08:36 PM
ofcourse they have the potential but it wont happen. they got rid of camby who was one of their best defensive players if not the best ( i would put AI over him).
they have a few guys that can play individual defense, but no one can play TEAM defense. Melo is the leader of the team and once he gets better with his defense, his team should get better.

Lebron23
09-28-2008, 09:02 PM
43 wins max

Lebron23
09-28-2008, 09:10 PM
Trade Allen Iverson for a decent PG, and let Carmelo Anthony average 32 ppg because he's still one of the best scorer in the NBA.

Please Fire George Karl. Avery Johnson is clearly a much better mentor than him.

dre1990
09-28-2008, 09:11 PM
i think it's possible, but they will win 52

JordansBulls
09-28-2008, 09:53 PM
Trade Allen Iverson for a decent PG, and let Carmelo Anthony average 32 ppg because he's still one of the best scorer in the NBA.

Please Fire George Karl. Avery Johnson is clearly a much better mentor than him.

Who are they going to get? Hinrich???

SAVAGE CLAW
09-28-2008, 10:22 PM
In fact would not be sucha terrible idea.

Something like Hinrich , Nocioni and Noah?

Hinrich,Jr,Melo,Nocioni/K-Mart,Noah

Lebron23
09-28-2008, 10:40 PM
Who are they going to get? Hinrich???

That's an excellent Idea, and Hinrich reminds me of a younger version of Gary Payton because both of them can play good D in the 4th quarter.

Kirk just had an off year last season, and I would love to see him become the backcourt general of the Denver Nuggets.

Kohaku
09-29-2008, 01:43 PM
I really think 60's a pretty big reach..but I think Nuggets can pull off 50 wins this season.

JordansBulls
09-29-2008, 03:18 PM
That's an excellent Idea, and Hinrich reminds me of a younger version of Gary Payton because both of them can play good D in the 4th quarter.

Kirk just had an off year last season, and I would love to see him become the backcourt general of the Denver Nuggets.

I'd trade Hinrich and Hughes for Iverson right now.

GSW_Soul
09-29-2008, 03:56 PM
I don't think so.

Hawkeye15
09-29-2008, 04:04 PM
Every team is optimistic now, they should be. I say they win around 42 games.

DreamShaker
09-29-2008, 04:07 PM
How did Mike D, Flip, and Avery get canned but Karl still has a job??

DenButsu
09-30-2008, 12:10 AM
Well, we'll definitely get 60 now.

Smush Parker just reported to Nuggets training camp. (http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/sep/29/nuggets-give-patterson-shot/)

LeonFSU
09-30-2008, 12:50 AM

Smush Parker just reported to Nuggets training camp. (http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/sep/29/nuggets-give-patterson-shot/)

I actually think Ruben Patterson could be a good signing if he ends up making the team. Carmello's defense on quicker SFs is one of their many weaknesses on defense.

I think the Nuggets should be just as good if not better than last year. If Nene is actually healthy, I think he'll have a much bigger impact than Camby. So 50-60 wins isn't impossible. Camby was a liability in man to man defense and was limited offensively. I also think the Nuggets should utilize smaller lineups with Carmello at the PF spot against smaller teams. For instance, against a team like Houston, I think Carmello would be better off playing PF and guarding Scola and Landry than playing SF and guarding Artest or McGrady. Also with the current roster, I don't think they should give extensive minutes to any of their true PGs. To put the best players on the court AI has to play PG.
Something like this:

Iverson
Smith
Kleiza/ Patterson
Carmello/Kmart
Nene/Hunter

or

Iverson
Smith
Carmello
Kmart
Nene

ARMIN12NBA
09-30-2008, 12:50 AM

The Smushcalade is the answer to every teams problems...except for the Lakers, Heat, Clippers, Cavs, Pistons, Suns, and the Aris Basketball Club.

KG#1
09-30-2008, 12:59 AM
hahahahhahahaha