PDA

View Full Version : Would Boston have won...

Goon.Weezy
09-28-2008, 12:22 AM
if the trade for garnett didn't happen and al jefferson was the starting PF, would the celtics have won the championship?

SAVAGE CLAW
09-28-2008, 12:24 AM
N

+

o

=

NO

Pau Would have Eaten Jeffersson Alive.

That withouth taking in consideration that they would have not been easts first seed, probably 4th at best .

They wouldnt have survived Lebron, Dwight or Colective Pistons Butts.

SeoulBeatz
09-28-2008, 12:33 AM
its possible

As Im a firm believe that Pau Gasol is the softest player in the NBA and Jefferson would have given him a tough time in the post no doubt.

If Gasol grows some balls he will get my respect but the dude is SOFT. I was rooting for the Lakers in the finals and dude just let me down. I couldnt believe how soft he was. Makes Dirk Nowitzki look like Ron Artest

GSW_Soul
09-28-2008, 12:34 AM
Nope.

Hawkeye15
09-28-2008, 12:36 AM
AJ is aswesome, but defensively, nope

Dol-Fan
09-28-2008, 12:41 AM
No way, KG brought a defensive intensity to the Celtics that they wouldn't have had with Jefferson, they probably would have been a 2nd round team. Even that is questionable depending on 1st round matchups.

_Sn1P3r_
09-28-2008, 12:52 AM
No don't think so. KG brought a lot of intensity to the team and Al Jefferson isn't really that type of guy. They would've had a solid team nonetheless.

barreleffact
09-28-2008, 12:53 AM
what made boston win? defense. is AJ defensive powerhouse? no. Would boston have stood a chance with AJ?....no!

THE MTL
09-28-2008, 12:55 AM
Kevin Garnett changed the culture in that city. And you cannot compare it.

JordansBulls
09-28-2008, 12:59 AM
if the trade for garnett didn't happen and al jefferson was the starting PF, would the celtics have won the championship?

Garnett turned that team into a defensive juggernaut.

Chicagofaithful
09-28-2008, 01:17 AM
hahahaha no way in hell do they win.. look what paul pierce did the year before with al jeff

Chicagofaithful
09-28-2008, 01:17 AM
Nothing

iluvsports2much
09-28-2008, 01:26 AM
hell no...wtf?

phxman22
09-28-2008, 02:18 AM
i thought the same thing, but no

reemy
09-28-2008, 02:22 AM
hahahaha no way in hell do they win.. look what paul pierce did the year before with al jeff

but they had aqquired ray allan thats wat u gotta think about

zambo4president
09-28-2008, 03:52 AM
no. and its not just about the skill level. KG brought another veteran presence and a leader to the team

Chicagofaithful
09-28-2008, 04:12 AM

no ray allen's good, no doubt... but he's not a presence like KG... and thats coming from someone who thinks that KG was underutilized in Boston. He def should have had the ball more IMO.

Wilson
09-28-2008, 06:41 AM
Besides defense, KG added a lot of intensity and a feeling of desperation to the Celtics. They wanted the championship more than any other team in the league last season, and it was KG and his intensity that made it that way. So no, I don't think they win with Jefferson instead of Garnett.

LakerzDQ
09-28-2008, 06:43 AM

defensively, they wouldn't have been that good.

Tom81
09-28-2008, 06:50 AM
I don't think so.

Faneik
09-28-2008, 06:57 AM
N

+

o

=

NO

Pau Would have Eaten Jeffersson Alive.

That withouth taking in consideration that they would have not been easts first seed, probably 4th at best .

They wouldnt have survived Lebron, Dwight or Colective Pistons Butts.

Yeah right! Gasoft couldn't handle Powe.

Back to topic:

No, the Celtics wouldn't have won.

Garnett brought heart, leadership, intensity and made the Celtics play TEAM DEFENSE!

When Al Jefferson left, I knew he'd be a 20/10 and a future All-Star, he still is one of my favorite players, but he can't anchor a team's defense...

And you all know defense wins ..... ..... !

Faneik
09-28-2008, 07:02 AM

Pierce was out half of the season injured.

Tony Allen was playing great, scoring 20 Pts/game, and then ... got injured.

That team wasn't so weak as their record showed, injuries killed them.

Same thing happened to the Heat last year.

Nighthawk
09-28-2008, 08:35 AM
This thread is silly. If Big Al could have gotten the job done he wouldnt have been traded. I'll agree he has a tremendous future ahead of him, and will no doubt be a top pf in the NBA, Paul and Ray didnt have that time. I dont think they would have won and nobody should. K.G is just something special. I dont even think i can explain it. I just appreciate EVERYTHING that man does.

$ NyC $
09-28-2008, 09:00 AM
When you look at the stats you would think they could make it, but KG brought that leadership, intensity, intimidation, passion, and defense that the Celtics used 2 just ride.

Blue Tiger
09-28-2008, 03:25 PM
Hell no and they wouldn't make it to the Finals the Pistons would have made it to the Finals and they would have beat'en the Lakers.

23LBJCleBrowns
09-28-2008, 03:46 PM
I don't even know if they would've made the playoffs.

NYKnickFanatic
09-28-2008, 04:12 PM
Al Jefferson does not bring what KG brings.

KGs intensity, is at such a high level its amazing.

So my answer is NO!

They probably would have had the 6th, 7th, or 8th seed too.

Def not number 1.

TheShowzOver
09-28-2008, 04:26 PM
Just stop with these threads lol. Al Jefferson as good as he is and as much as i love him will probably never reach KG's skill set and presence on defense, it's that simple

Lakersfan2483
09-28-2008, 04:48 PM
No, they would not have gotten out of the first round.

IversonIsKrazy
09-28-2008, 04:55 PM
sure would have.

rondo
ray
pierce
aj
perkins

they would have won a championship w/o the garnett trade.

Lakersfan2483
09-28-2008, 05:19 PM
sure would have.

rondo
ray
pierce
aj
perkins

That team would not beat the Hawks in round 1.

cmellofan15
09-28-2008, 05:23 PM
That team would not beat the Hawks in round 1.

But the Hawks got more games in on the Celtics than the Lakers so does that mean the Hawks could've beat the Lakers? :eyebrow:

Lakersfan2483
09-28-2008, 05:34 PM
But the Hawks got more games in on the Celtics than the Lakers so does that mean the Hawks could've beat the Lakers? :eyebrow:

It's all about matchups, the Celtics struggled to match up with the Hawks team. Subtract KG, and they would not have beaten that team. The Hawks had the personnel to give the Celtics trouble.

Faneik
09-28-2008, 06:04 PM
It's all about matchups, the Celtics struggled to match up with the Hawks team. Subtract KG, and they would not have beaten that team. The Hawks had the personnel to give the Celtics trouble.

The thread is about subtracting KG and adding Big Al, don't forget that.

You seem so sure that the Hawks would beat the Celtics, but when cmellofan15 asked you if the Hawks were better than Lakers, your answer was pretty vague -->"It's all about matchups".

codes238
09-28-2008, 08:39 PM
obviously not

RocketsRule
09-28-2008, 08:41 PM
Stats are only half the equation. Kevin Garnett didn't put up pretty numbers, but his defensive intensity combined with his leadership is what led them to a championship.

No way they win without him.

dre1990
09-28-2008, 08:47 PM
No, but i hate these what if threads

JOSETHEALLSTAR
09-28-2008, 09:13 PM
no way

bostncelts34
09-28-2008, 09:14 PM
how many times is this gonna come up? NO WAY in hell celtics win the chip without KG. He brought defense, and intensity to this team. He made them play hard, every night.

Al isnt nearly the defensive presence KG is. no, no, and no.

thesparky33
09-29-2008, 10:46 AM
I think offensively, Jefferson arguably gives you more than Garnett, mostly because of his low post scoring, which is always the most efficient and a higher percentage shot. But you also need to take into account that Garnett is a better playmaker, passer, and is one of the best at passing out of double teams and finding open players... that's an area in which Jefferson currently struggles in, and is something that would have hurt the Celtics, because in order for them to succeed, ball movement was a must.

And like most have already stated, Garnett's defensive intensity that he brought to the team literally changed the whole makeup of the team and is the difference here. I think throughout last season, Jefferson started to really improve on his man-to-man defense, especially against centers, which would only help him become even better against PFs, but he still is nowhere near the level of KG.

Another thing to look at is conditioning. Garnett is one of the best conditioned players in the league... he takes care of his body, and is able to play at full speed from game 1 through game 82, and then able to continue throughout the playoffs... and before last year where he missed about 9 games, he never missed a game due to illness or injury since about 2001 where he missed 2 games because he had the flu.

Jefferson has improved his conditioning, but at the end of the season, you could tell he was fatigued and not used to playing heavy minutes and carrying that big of a load all season long... I really dont think he would have been able to handle playing in the playoffs.

NYKnickFanatic
09-29-2008, 11:01 AM
sure would have.

rondo
ray
pierce
aj
perkins

:smoking:<---I want what he's having.

Frank Costanza
09-29-2008, 11:08 AM
they dont go past the second round with only peirce and allen and jefferson,

ertanozgur
09-29-2008, 11:25 AM
title? funny
i dont think they would have made the playoffs

CELTICS4LYFE
09-29-2008, 11:28 AM
the ship i dont think so but deff do damage in the p/o

Hometeamrivals
09-29-2008, 11:38 AM
Um what did they do the yar before without him. Ray Allen and Posey are good but not that good

BRADY4MVP
09-29-2008, 11:38 AM
title? funny
i dont think they would have made the playoffs

PP, ray allen, jefferson, rondo, et al. wouldnt have made the playoffs??? in the east???? c'mon

Hawkeye15
09-29-2008, 04:41 PM
I am a monster Al Jefferson and Wolves fan, and I see Jefferson being a resident all star, but defense is what wins, and KG is a top 25 player ever, and in the conversation for best PF of all time. That is too much to ask a 23 year old player, even if he did move into the 21-11 area last year.

Hawkeye15
09-29-2008, 04:44 PM

It is about matchups, and as much as I love KG, he is not a post player. Jefferson would have feasted on Atlanta's skinny frontcourt. The Hawks are super athletic, but they are all thin, and AJ would have shoved them anywhere he wanted to.

BoltLakerPadre
09-29-2008, 05:05 PM
Nope

Wake's Fastball
09-29-2008, 08:10 PM
We dwell on the no-KG idea a fair amount in the Celtics forum. The consensus is that they're a playoff team without the trade, but sure as anything aren't a championship contender. Without KG, there's no House, Posey, PJ Brown or Cassell either.

Beno7500
09-29-2008, 08:13 PM
no

Hawkeye15
09-29-2008, 09:50 PM
We dwell on the no-KG idea a fair amount in the Celtics forum. The consensus is that they're a playoff team without the trade, but sure as anything aren't a championship contender. Without KG, there's no House, Posey, PJ Brown or Cassell either.

great points. And there defense is not where it needs to be to win it all. Jefferson actually had way better stats, but KG is the man on defense, and got his whole team to buy into it. And you are right, some if not all of those vets wouldn't have come.