PDA

View Full Version : Rangers Report: Nedved among the cuts. New Lines

SLY WILLIAMS
09-26-2008, 07:17 PM
Nedved among the cuts

September

Update, 11:48 a.m.: Artem Anisimov, Greg Moore, Dale Weise, and Thomas Pock are among those players reassigned.In fact, let’s go with the 26 players who are still here, including the new lines they’re practicing in (note Chris Drury at wing):Naslund-Gomez-Drury

Dawes-Dubinsky-Zherdev

Callahan-Korpikoski-Voros

Rissmiller-Betts-Orr

Sjostrom-Prucha-Fritsche

At defense, Mara, Kalinin, Fahey, Staal, Girardi, Redden, Potter, and Rozsival are still here.

The three goalies are Lundqvist, Valiquette, and Wiikman,

So that leaves the Rangers with 15 forwards, eight defense, and three goalies. They need to get to 24 for Prague, and then down to 23 when they return to the States (presumably, Wiikman will go down after the Prague trip). Count on them cutting one more forward, and at least one but possibly two defensemen.

I’m not sure what to read into the Prucha, Sjostrom and Fritsche line, but all of those players could be the ones on the bubble. But that’s just speculation at this point.

Earlier: So much for Petr Nedved at least making the trip to Europe. The 36-year-old center was among those given the pink slip before today’s practice.

It looks like Greg Moore, Artem Anisimov were also reassigned.

“I told him this summer we had a lot of young guys and we have only so many spots,” Glen Sather told me just now. “Plus, there’s a cap issue to deal with. I thought he played well. I just knew what we’d be up against. But I didn’t want to not give him the opportunity.”

I asked Sather how much the play of Lauri Korpikoski impacted the decision.

“It had a lot to do with it,” Sather said. “And Callahan can play center, too. So we have a surplus of center icemen.”

Sather also said there was nothing new to report on Brendan Shanahan.

The complete list of cuts later…

http://rangers.lohudblogs.com/2008/09/26/nedved-among-the-cuts/

Desert Plains
09-26-2008, 07:50 PM
Thanks for the status.

- I don't get Drury at wing, especially on the Gomez line.
- As for Zherdev, if his move to a new line was about him in order to spark some life into him, than the move to Dubinsky's line makes sense. I think Dubinsky's drive and desire might help get him going (though, I would have thought the uptempo style from Gomez would have done that too).
- A little confused with Prucha at center. But, if they wanted to replace Betts as the 4th line center (in order to get some much needed scoring), then I think Nedved should have been kept. He played pretty well in the games he played.
- No real surprises on D. And I think if they keep only 7 defensemen, Fahey will be the choice. He's more experienced and they probably don't want a young guy like Potter getting scraatched every night. He needs to play every night if they think he has a future in the NHL.

SLY WILLIAMS
09-26-2008, 10:11 PM
Drury is good on face offs and defensively but he is not a natural play maker (which you like at center) so I do understand this. He can still take the important draws though. I'd like Dawes to be with a natural passer like Gomer or some speed like the Russian.

Desert Plains
09-27-2008, 09:40 AM
Drury is good on face offs and defensively but he is not a natural play maker (which you like at center) so I do understand this. He can still take the important draws though. I'd like Dawes to be with a natural passer like Gomer or some speed like the Russian.

Okay, I see your point about Drury. But, if he's going to be a wing, I'm not sure the Gomez line is the place. Gomez needs a fast skater and a finisher. I really don't think you'd classify Drury as either of those.

I'd rather see them try Prucha or Callahan on his right wing if Renney has already decided Zherdev is not a good fit.

kyomack
09-27-2008, 12:09 PM
wow this team just does not look as good as it was last year

SLY WILLIAMS
09-27-2008, 12:29 PM
Okay, I see your point about Drury. But, if he's going to be a wing, I'm not sure the Gomez line is the place. Gomez needs a fast skater and a finisher. I really don't think you'd classify Drury as either of those.

I'd rather see them try Prucha or Callahan on his right wing if Renney has already decided Zherdev is not a good fit.

I dont think its about Zherdev being a good fit. I think its more about Drury playing center on a top 2 line when he really isnt really a natural setup man.
I understand your point though. Drury has been a better finisher than Prucha or Cally in the last year but none of them were real gunners. The Rangers as a team dont really have that guy you look to to be a 40 goal guy.

This team is much different than in the past. They are physically much faster but will that translate in to goals? I dont know. I see a bunch of 15-25 goal guys but no guy that will be a threat to score 40 this season

jetsfan89
09-27-2008, 12:30 PM

its only preseason. the team's just trying things out. right now the rangers looks like a team that's gonna utilize its speed and we should see that on power plays and 2 on 1, 3 on 2 breaks.

Desert Plains
09-27-2008, 12:31 PM
I'm not sure you can say that about the Defense. We look pretty solid defensively. And keep in mind, until yesterday, we were carrying basically 2 full teams. So, we never played a game with the full set of players that will make the team.

I'm a little worried about the scoring though. In a few games we had plenty of opportunities, yet couldn't get the puck past the goalie. It's still early, but that would be an area that we might have problems with all year.

SLY WILLIAMS
09-27-2008, 12:32 PM

So many changes may take time to get used to. Right now I agree they do not look that great as a unit. I really wish we had a sure fire all star sniper.

trueblue4life
09-27-2008, 12:34 PM
I like the youth movement im not going to lie about that. But along with the youth movement you also need veterans to show the youth the way so they can succeed just like they did. I really think that they should have kept Nedved from the two games that I watched that he was in he scored. Is scoring bad? I was also told he was minus 2 but they are 1-4 and you expect someone to be on the plus side ? give me a break. And where in the world is Shanny ? I mean come on this is just upsetting.

SLY WILLIAMS
09-27-2008, 01:07 PM
I like the youth movement im not going to lie about that. But along with the youth movement you also need veterans to show the youth the way so they can succeed just like they did. I really think that they should have kept Nedved from the two games that I watched that he was in he scored. Is scoring bad? I was also told he was minus 2 but they are 1-4 and you expect someone to be on the plus side ? give me a break. And where in the world is Shanny ? I mean come on this is just upsetting.

Nedved skated well in my opinion. His plus/minus wasnt a major factor in my opinion. He is a center with a team loaded at center and his age obviously worked against him. There also is the issue of the salary cap.
Shanny is still working out at the Rangers facility. He is still a possibility although we would have to work him in cap wise as well. I think Shanny would be a good settling force on the wing but would he be happy with a less prominent role. I actually would like Shanny on the bench as an assistant coach.

GUYS DONT FORGET WE HAVE A GAME STARTING IN 2 MINUTES

SLY WILLIAMS
09-27-2008, 05:09 PM
Lundy looked really bad today. Offense looked bad as well. Renney keeps tinkering with the lines but at some point he may have to let some guys get used to each others patterns of play.

messleetch94
09-27-2008, 06:56 PM
As far as the fourth line center, I think he is tremendous at face offs and is one of our best penalty killers. Fritsche is good also. The best thing to happen to the fourth line was moving Hollweg. Nobody should be worried about scoring from the fourth line. theyt were used effectively last year in playing against some top lines. Put a speedy winger with them and we might have 25 goals combined from the fourth line.

King Henrik
09-28-2008, 12:11 AM
we need shanny.....

messleetch94
09-28-2008, 04:54 PM
As far as the fourth line center, I think he is tremendous at face offs and is one of our best penalty killers. Fritsche is good also. The best thing to happen to the fourth line was moving Hollweg. Nobody should be worried about scoring from the fourth line. theyt were used effectively last year in playing against some top lines. Put a speedy winger with them and we might have 25 goals combined from the fourth line.

I was referring to Betts

Desert Plains
09-28-2008, 06:33 PM
we need shanny.....

Doesn't look like he's coming back. At first, I wanted him back as well, but as a 4th line player only.

But, at this point, I'm not sure he fits our needs. Sure, he's a great leader. But we have leaders already. What we obviously lack is scorers/finishers. That's just not Shanny's strength. If the guys that are paid to score goals, consistently put the puck in the net we should be fine offensively.

The bigger concern might be Rosi's poor defensive play (continiuing from last years playoffs) and Redden, who looks average offensively and is terrible in the defensive zone (much worse than I thought he was).

CurseThis
09-30-2008, 10:50 PM
Drury and Gomez are showing lots of chemistry together since being put together. Gomez isn't your typical center in that he tends to be creative with the puck and goes all over the place. Drury, however, is smart enough to know where to go when Gomez is doing his thing. Plus, Drury is a good skater. He may not be as fast as Zherdev, but both he and Naslund are both fast enough to keep up with Gomez.

Dubinsky and Zherdev have also been very good together. Their games mesh better because Dubinsky doesn't need to be the one carrying the puck into the zone to be effective. He also gives Zherdev more protection than Gomez, since Dubinsky will drop the gloves, throw checks and not back down from anyone. He needs to mature a bit before he starts scaring anyone, but he's more intimidating than Gomez.

The main reason for Drury moving to wing, however is because Korpikoski has forced his way onto the team. He's a perfect third line center. He's fast, reliable defensively and can chip in some goals. He's shown some incredible skill so far with his deflection skills. He's going to deflect a good amount of shots from the point, something the team has been missing for years.

I'd be willing to bet our lines turn out to be:

Naslund - Gomez - Drury
Dawes - Dubinsky - Zherdev
Prucha/Fritsche - Korpikoski - Callahan
Voros/Sjostrom - Betts - Orr

Frankly, Prucha hasn't impressed me at all. Guy couldn't put a puck into the ocean even if he was standing on the pier. We should trade him while he still has some perceived value amongst the league. I'm sure Maloney in Phoenix or JD in St. Louis would take him off of our hands... at the very least.