PDA

View Full Version : A different look on Manny leaving Boston

LAFord
09-26-2008, 01:59 PM
I posted this in the MLB forum, I guess to possibly defend who has become our MVP. Knowing most of you don't go there, I post this here to maybe get readtions from my fellow fans.

Maybe the Manny scenario is more like this?

The guy gives Boston 2 rings, quite a few wonderful seasons as their best hitter, A crowd favorite, merchandise machine, plays most of the games without long DL stints...and the RedSox can't lock the guy up on a multi-year guaranted extension? Instead he must wait and see, and play in essense 3x 1 year deals? What if he gets hurt? He's just screwed right?
What kind of respect and/or loyalty is that? Not much better than Manny ended up with towards Boston.

Yet the Red Sox continually throw money around on all these other things year in year like overpaying for J.D. Drew, Lugo, etc., spend ridiculous amounts of money just to talk to unknown players like Dice-K, go buy a NASCAR team, etc.

Manny probably felt he deserved a contract extension for all he's done for the Red Sox. The Red Sox have dumped on many of their proven vets in the past and he felt he was getting that treatment too. It was his turn in the barrel.

The Red Sox could've and should've locked him up for 4-5 more years of guaranteed money. He couldn't do anymore to prove to them he was worth it and they obviously have more than enough money to take care of the man that took care of them for so many years. They choose not too, not him.

Obviously I'm very grateful he is a Dodger now. I feel for the BoSox fans that are upset...I do understand. Noone likes to lose a favorite player under any circumstances. I'm just tired of the one sided outlook everyone has on this subject. Manny doesn't appear to be some evil selfish person. Many players say he isn't. How do we know?

BlueMouse
09-26-2008, 02:25 PM
Manny's not the first person to talk badly about the Red Sox front office - but it is hard to point fingers at an organization that has paid him $160 million.

I don't get the impression that he will turn into the cancer that BoSox fans warn us about... but I may just be naive. The scene is different here in L.A. We are more relaxed than the East coast, and I think it is a better place for certain personalities. Manny is a star out here, and there's no end in sight for the love we want to shower on him. I think the team is a more relaxed bunch of guys as well. Even Kent looks like a chill dude compared to curmudgeons like Kevin Youkilis.

As far as Manny and the Dodgers are concerned, I don't think it could've worked out better for either one.

I get the feeling we are looking at soulmates who finally found each other.

c2thab
09-26-2008, 02:35 PM
I agree with you! Good post! Look at what happened to guys like Clemens, Boggs, Damon, etc. I think most of these guys go to the Yankees to stick it to Boston. How many ex-Yanks have gone to Boston? Not very many. (atleast in the past 10 years or so)

Manny is getting accused of "quitting" in Boston but I dont see how that was the case. He was still putting up great numbers up til his last day in a Sox uni. They obviously didnt want him as much as he didnt want to be there anymore considering the price we payed to get him via trade. If a franchise doesnt keep a player happy this tends to be the outcome. I wouldnt be surprised if Papi is next!

Bleedinblueball
09-26-2008, 03:46 PM
it is really bostons fault as a city they put way too much pressure on the sports people to produce and rag on them incessivly if they dont i dont blame anyone for not wanting to play in boston they love ya when ur up but miss one hit or game and lynch him!!!!!!! IM SURprised no one has kidnasped tom brady for letting someone hurt his knee!!!!!!
Manny gave boston pleanty !!!!!!!!!!!

nme
09-26-2008, 03:55 PM
The way I see it, what all of this came down to is Boras. Manny hired him as his agent this past year and Boars makes no money on Manny's old deal--option years included. Boras convinces Manny that a new deal is paramount, and Manny starts to dog it when it becomes evident that no new deal will be signed.

The BoSox and Boras combined to put Manny in an awkward situation. Yes, Manny could have handled it more maturely, but when has mature ever been a word associated with this guy? Ultimately, this is a deal that has worked out well for all parties involved, and the next step in the process, IMO, is for the Dodgers to give Manny a nice little 3 yr/$70 M deal.

BlueMouse
09-26-2008, 04:01 PM
The way I see it, what all of this came down to is Boras. Manny hired him as his agent this past year and Boars makes no money on Manny's old deal--option years included. Boras convinces Manny that a new deal is paramount, and Manny starts to dog it when it becomes evident that no new deal will be signed.

My question is, why did Manny hire Boras as his agent in the middle of his contract?

BlueZoo
09-26-2008, 04:50 PM
Not everyone on the east coast runs around screaming at people and uptight in a frenzy...just like not everyone from CA is not a surfer with blonde hair and breast implants. (I meant the women).
I think it's got to do more with Boston than with a whole geographical area...and it's more of what the Manny/Boston thing became...after time had passed for both.
Love affairs finish up that way sometimes...but it is a very good question, Mouse: why did he hire Boras when he did?
If he were to sign with us...can you ever envision a day when he might do the same with us? His age will probably dictate his behavior more than ever before when he gets signed...wherever that may be.

nme
09-26-2008, 05:01 PM
My question is, why did Manny hire Boras as his agent in the middle of his contract?

I'm sure that the option thing weighed down on him, so he sought the help of Satan in rectifying the situation. I have to imagine that Manny initially expected the FO to automatically agree, I mean, from his standpoint, he's a key reason that they won two rings and it's not like his skills have diminished. Why Boras? Who knows? Why do any of these guys hire Boras? I do understand why Manny would seek new representation under the circumstances, but I can't explain why he picked Boras other than the fact that Boras, by and large, is the best.

It just seems to me that this erratic behavior comes hand in hand with Boras helming contract negotiations. Too many guys have gone ape sh-t crazy under Boras for me to not assume a causation.

BlueMouse
09-26-2008, 05:47 PM
I posed the question mainly because it makes me think there was something that he was unhappy about before he hired Boras. nme, you suggested the idea that Boras convinced Manny that he needed a new deal, which is understandable, but Manny must have had something more that he wanted before he ever approached Boras. Maybe what Boras got him to do was extreme compared to Manny's original intentions, maybe not. Don't really know. But Manny being Manny, and Boras being a dick = Dodgers 2008 NL West Division Champs!

nme
09-26-2008, 06:05 PM
Amen to that last part.

J-DAWGS SOX
09-26-2008, 06:08 PM
i agree with the whole boras thing. i agree with boston overpaying for players. i agree our fans are hard on the players when they are in a slump. i agree our front office makes its share of mistakes. but in mannys case, his time was up. he let boris fill his head, like he did to arod. the team actually voted him off. that should tell you a little something about what was really going on in boston. imo, no matter who it is, if u sign a contract, see it through. i hate these players who cry about making millions-180. i wish manny well, and hope he continues to play hard. this whole situation was bad for the sport of baseball. i would love to face ol blue in the series, but i think it will be the cubbies!

BlueMouse
09-26-2008, 06:44 PM
i agree with the whole boras thing. i agree with boston overpaying for players. i agree our fans are hard on the players when they are in a slump. i agree our front office makes its share of mistakes. but in mannys case, his time was up. he let boris fill his head, like he did to arod. the team actually voted him off. that should tell you a little something about what was really going on in boston. imo, no matter who it is, if u sign a contract, see it through. i hate these players who cry about making millions-180. i wish manny well, and hope he continues to play hard. this whole situation was bad for the sport of baseball. i would love to face ol blue in the series, but i think it will be the cubbies!

Is it like Survivor: Bawston edition? Just a heads up on who you guys should vote off next ... It starts with a J and a D, and rhymes with "you know who"

CHRISDODGERS
09-26-2008, 08:19 PM
The red sox screwed up... plain and simple... manny get what manny want, and if manny don't get what manny want, manny out of here...

Tapptout
09-27-2008, 12:27 AM
That is a good theory and id agree with it, who knows maybe its the truth

J-DAWGS SOX
09-27-2008, 08:07 PM
Is it like Survivor: Bawston edition? Just a heads up on who you guys should vote off next ... It starts with a J and a D, and rhymes with "you know who"

u r right, theos biggest mistake. i dont know what he was thinking! the only good that came out of it was for the dodgers. we really did u guys a favor. lol

LAFord
09-28-2008, 05:23 AM
u r right, theos biggest mistake. i dont know what he was thinking! the only good that came out of it was for the dodgers. we really did u guys a favor. lolI'll drink to that! again and again.:)