PDA

View Full Version : Karl: "We have enough talent to be ultrasuccessful"

DenButsu
09-26-2008, 09:53 AM
Karl: Nuggets playoff wins or purge
Coach is a realist when it comes to job security

"If the edict is changing the face or changing the coach, we can live with that," Karl said about his job security entering Tuesday's start of training camp. "We all know that that happens. There are very few lifetime coaches in the NBA."...

"I feel that pressure (of job security) from the basketball world of rationalization," he said. "I don't feel that from my organization. Last year, when all that stuff came up, I never felt that.

"(Nuggets owner) Stan (Kroenke) was highly complimentary of our coaching. Amazed at times. He thought last year was a great year. Disappointing in losing in the playoffs, no question. But from the standpoint of what we were dealt and what we delivered, it was a big-time year."...

"If the evaluation is success in the playoffs, we haven't done that," Karl said. "And I can live with that. I agree 100 percent. I hate losing in the playoffs. I hate being on this losing streak."...

"My disappointment and depression was in about a five-day period," Karl said. "We lose Eddie Najera and Marcus Camby and get nothing. I'm paranoid and scared. But you recover. The (Renaldo) Balkman trade . . . we give (New York) basically nothing (two players with nonguaranteed contracts who were waived). We get another guy, Chris Andersen, a pretty good basketball player, for nothing (the minimum salary as a free agent)."...

"I think he rolled the dice a little bit on the (Allen Iverson) situation," Karl said of the December 2006 trade for the high-salaried player. "He's a businessman. . . . He doesn't like losing money. . . . His (goal) is probably making money, and I respect that.

"We had a tough year from that standpoint and financially, I think he wants to change that. . . . He's been very honest on how he wanted to build in the summer, being financially limited."

Karl might have lost two key players, but you'd better believe there's still pressure to win. There's talk in the NBA that Karl is being set up as the scapegoat if that doesn't happen.

"I don't deny that's out there (in the NBA)," Karl said.

Still, Karl is "excited about our team," saying it is "faster and quicker."...

"We've got to definitely pay attention to detail when it comes to the defensive end of the floor even more now," Iverson said.

"Guys have to step up," forward Kenyon Martin said....

"We've been a team that's had enough talent to win a championship, but there's probably 12 of them in the league a year," Karl said. "It's the chemistry and the talent that wins championships. And we haven't done a very good job of figuring out the right chemistry."...

"I've said the window I thought of not coaching has grown," Karl said. "Every summer, you wish the summer was a month longer. You wish you had another month of freedom before you go back into the rat race."

Now that Karl is back at it, he'd like to prove the critics wrong. With Camby gone, preseason NBA predictions have been less than flattering for the Nuggets.

"I love people saying that, 'They're awful. They're going to be bad,' " Karl said. "I don't see us as bad. My belief is we have enough talent to be ultrasuccessful."rockymountainnews (http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/sep/25/karls-marks-nuggets-playoff-wins-or-purge/)

SUNDUNDIDIT
09-26-2008, 01:58 PM
It's crazy....Because back when we was going against the Spurs in the playoffs, we had efficient defense, but we had no outside threats,or no rebounding presence....THEN, when we get outside 3 pt shooters, and good rebounding, we have no defense!!!!

My point???....IF IT'S NOT ONE THING IT'S ANOTHER!! I've found it sad that Nuggets can't dominate in all aspects of the floor....It seems the nuggets are too one-track minded, and when they focus on one thing, they leave other important dynamics of the game absent!!

The reasons the SUNS and NUGGETS have been un-successful, is because they are too focused on gettin back on defense everytime they shoot a ball, because they trying to prevent the fastbreak....wHEN they should be focused on trying to attack the boards, and get rebounds....

^^i've noticed this in plenty of Nuggets games, when a player shoots a ball, nobody is trying to rebound because they're already gettin back on defense...And my guess, is because in practice they're probably use to running fast breaks, and tryin to defend fast breaks....

I see KARL sayin he's "excited about our team," saying it is "faster and quicker."...

BUTTTT...We don't need a FASTER AND QUICKER TEAM...WHat about A MORE physical team???? Instead of just FASTER AND QUICKER, how about adding STRONGER AND PHYSICAL, along with the FASTER AND QUICKER?????

Being a great FAST BREAK team doesn't win championships, and thats why the two fastest teams which I think are Phoenix and Denver, never win in the playoffs!!!

Just my thoughts....If anybody see's any flaws in my own philosophy, please point it out!!! And lets all together as nuggets fans, reason with why our teams routines never work!

DenButsu
09-27-2008, 01:12 AM
Actually, SUN, I really don't find any flaws with what you're saying. We know we can run, but we did it best at the beginning of last season when we were still sticking to the concept of letting the defense create the offense, and not just trying to run out on every possession but being more opportunistic about the fast breaks. Not just trying to force it all the time. With Camby gone, we're going to need more of the Olympics Melo who hangs and bangs under the basket more, going for rebounds more and playing tougher D, not just leaking out every time. And we just absolutely have to have a more organized, more well executed half court offense. We'll get those fast break points, but we have to be able to play postseason style basketball, too. The reason a team like the Mavs (when they were at their best) could be so effective was that they could bring multiple looks to the floor, they weren't one dimensional. We do have the talent to be multidimensional as well. But it has to be harnessed better. I think Karl really needs to take it back to the clipboard and say, "Okay we're running x number of AI-Melo pick-and-rolls, x number of Melo-Nene pick-and-rolls, we're limiting our "open plays" (no set play" to x% per game", etc. There's still plenty of space for free-form, creative play within that kind of structure, but it just happens in a more focused environment.

C-Dub
09-27-2008, 09:44 AM
I wish you were their coach Den, we would be undefeated!

DenButsu
09-27-2008, 10:03 AM
I wish you were their coach Den, we would be undefeated!

:laugh2: I doubt it, but I'd sure enjoy the dream job - and the salary!

BRAVE KID
09-27-2008, 12:32 PM
the league knows that we have the talent..how you use it is the question. the best coaches find a way to use everyone's talent to their advantage. karl didn't do that with bobby jones, let's see if he learns

F15Eagle
09-27-2008, 03:05 PM
Actually, SUN, I really don't find any flaws with what you're saying. We know we can run, but we did it best at the beginning of last season when we were still sticking to the concept of letting the defense create the offense, and not just trying to run out on every possession but being more opportunistic about the fast breaks. Not just trying to force it all the time. With Camby gone, we're going to need more of the Olympics Melo who hangs and bangs under the basket more, going for rebounds more and playing tougher D, not just leaking out every time. And we just absolutely have to have a more organized, more well executed half court offense. We'll get those fast break points, but we have to be able to play postseason style basketball, too. The reason a team like the Mavs (when they were at their best) could be so effective was that they could bring multiple looks to the floor, they weren't one dimensional. We do have the talent to be multidimensional as well. But it has to be harnessed better. I think Karl really needs to take it back to the clipboard and say, "Okay we're running x number of AI-Melo pick-and-rolls, x number of Melo-Nene pick-and-rolls, we're limiting our "open plays" (no set play" to x% per game", etc. There's still plenty of space for free-form, creative play within that kind of structure, but it just happens in a more focused environment.

Melo should get 25pts / 10 rebounds but, he should not be hanging underneath the basket, taking a break while his counterpart is positioning for a three point shot. Melo is poor in pick and roll, he does not move (roll), if he learns to move as required in a pick and roll, NUGGETS will be the team to beat for the championship.