PDA

View Full Version : Rangers Report: Skeleton crew expected for tonights game

SLY WILLIAMS
09-25-2008, 03:35 PM
Skeleton crew
September 25

Update, 11:55 a.m.: More on the lineup tonight. This is likely to change, but here’s what I had written down. Note that both Lauri Korpikoski and Ryan Callahan are expected to get looks at center, where Tom Renney said not having a “natural NHL center” in that fourth slot is an outside possibility.

Also note that Dale “The Iron Horse” Weise is slated to play his third game in four nights:

Forwards: Rissmiller-Betts-Weise; Parenteau-Nedved-Prucha; Sjostrom-Korpikoski-Orr; Voros-Callahan-Fritsche.

Defense: Fahey-Pock; Redden-Girardi; Potter-Kalinin

# Artem Anisimov skated with the game day squad and Renney said he’ll be a game day decision. But seeing how Anisimov wasn’t in a rush to pack his bag for the city, I doubt he’ll play.

# As for the different configurations from the earlier skate, Renney said it was more conceptual, and the lines tomorrow will be a better reflection of what the team will skate with on Saturday.

# I’ll have more in a paper about the growing contest for fourth line center. Blair Betts said he doesn’t feel safe, but said he hasn’t felt safe the last few training camps, either. “Training camp is a mind f—-”, the mild-mannered Betts said.

OK, off to The Journal News office for the live chat at 1. Hope to see you all then….

Earlier: It doesn’t sound like the Rangers’ 1-3 record this preseason is of much concern to the Rangers coaching staff, because the lineup for tonight isn’t exactly a Cup contender.

Other than a few exceptions, pretty much all of the team’s top forwards skated in the earlier practice for players who are not playing tonight, including Chris Drury, Nikolai Zherdev, Scott Gomez, Markus Naslund, Brandon Dubinsky, and Nigel Dawes.

That leaves Ryan Callahan, Blair Betts, Petr Nedved, Fred Sjostrom, Lauri Korpikoski, Colton Orr, Aaron Voros, and Patrick Rissmiller as the headliners up front tonight, with Wade Redden, Dan Girardi, and Dmitri Kalinin in at defense.

Stephen Valiquette is slated to play all 60 minutes. More on lines in a bit.

I would imagine the light lineup tonight opens the door for the Rangers to produce close to a full NHL lineup in Saturday’s North American exhibition finale against the Devils.

For what it’s worth, Tom Renney experimented with new lines in the earlier practice. Given some of the other players involved, I wouldn’t read too much into them. They were:

Dawes-Gomez-Jessiman; Naslund-Drury-Moore; Byers-Dubinsky-Zherdev.
http://rangers.lohudblogs.com/2008/09/25/skeleton-crew-2/

Spock
09-25-2008, 05:32 PM
I don't think Callahan will work out as a center even if it is on a fourth line, I think he needs to be on the wing. And can someone tell me why Colton Orr is still on the team? He offers nothing he doesn't score and he loses his fights he has no talent whatsoever why are guys like him even allowed in the league.

SLY WILLIAMS
09-25-2008, 05:39 PM
I don't think Callahan will work out as a center even if it is on a fourth line, I think he needs to be on the wing. And can someone tell me why Colton Orr is still on the team? He offers nothing he doesn't score and he loses his fights he has no talent whatsoever why are guys like him even allowed in the league.

Outside of true heavyweights like Brashear and Larouqe, Colton Orr has been a very solid fighter with flashs of knock out power. We already are lacking in real fighters. Not having Orr we would really be pushed around.
http://www.hockeyfights.com/players/1483

Cally can play center for 1 game if the need arises. I dont think the team is taking this game seriously. Most the guys that will be playing are borderline players. Several of them will not make the team most likely. The Rangers schedule this week and next is crazy. They are trying not to wear down their front line players.

Spock
09-25-2008, 05:45 PM
Outside of true heavyweights like Brashear and Larouqe, Colton Orr has been a very solid fighter with flashs of knock out power. We already are lacking in real fighters. Not having Orr we would really be pushed around.
http://www.hockeyfights.com/players/1483

Cally can play center for 1 game if the need arises. I dont think the team is taking this game seriously. Most the guys that will be playing are borderline players. Several of them will not make the team most likely. The Rangers schedule this week and next is crazy. They are trying not to wear down their front line players.

That makes sense but we wouldn't need Orr if we had Shanny, I'm sure this game will be another loss since all the kids are playing lol.

SLY WILLIAMS
09-25-2008, 05:54 PM
That makes sense but we wouldn't need Orr if we had Shanny, I'm sure this game will be another loss since all the kids are playing lol.

I'm all for having Shanny but we have to be realistic. He isnt a hitter anymore never mind a guy we want gooning it up at his age. In his prime Shanny was a prototype for a power foward but he is looking at 40 soon. One sure way I knew how much Shannys game has evolved was that he was one of the guys on the team last season with the fewest hits.

We need Orr for now. I sure would not mind having Nicky Fotiu and Barry Beck scaring everyone like in the old days. :)

King Henrik
09-26-2008, 03:28 PM
Orr kicked some *** in the fight last night. crowd was goin nuts

Spock
09-27-2008, 09:52 PM
There are other guys who can score as well as fight I still think Orr is a waste of cap space,just like Hollweg was a waste all he did was take penalties and ruined our momentum in the game against the pens with a stupid penalty so I was glad to see him go.

SLY WILLIAMS
09-27-2008, 11:51 PM
There are other guys who can score as well as fight I still think Orr is a waste of cap space,just like Hollweg was a waste all he did was take penalties and ruined our momentum in the game against the pens with a stupid penalty so I was glad to see him go.

If you know of a guy in the Rangers system that can fight as well as Orr and also score I have an open mind. I think Orr is a top 5-10 fighter in the NHL though.

Desert Plains
09-28-2008, 06:40 PM
If you know of a guy in the Rangers system that can fight as well as Orr and also score I have an open mind. I think Orr is a top 5-10 fighter in the NHL though.

I agree. But the problem is that fighting is no where near as important as even 10 years ago. Most nights, Orr is a wasted winger. I think Renney needs to pick and choose the games that Orr is in the lineup. We just don't need him every night.

It wouldn't have been nice if Sather got the tough defensive defensemen in the off season - having a top 6 D-men that can also enforce, could have limited the need for Orr to play.

SLY WILLIAMS
09-28-2008, 06:59 PM
I agree. But the problem is that fighting is no where near as important as even 10 years ago. Most nights, Orr is a wasted winger. I think Renney needs to pick and choose the games that Orr is in the lineup. We just don't need him every night.

It wouldn't have been nice if Sather got the tough defensive defensemen in the off season - having a top 6 D-men that can also enforce, could have limited the need for Orr to play.

I agree Orr will not have to play every night nor does the 4th line have to play a regular shift but Renney likes to go that route.
I'm an old timer and Barry Beck was one of my fave players. He was very strong and feared not only as a fighter but as a hitter. I wish we had a Barry Beck again. :)