PDA

View Full Version : NEWS UPDATE: Possible players to be signed for preseason

09-24-2008, 08:35 PM
Rocky Mountain News (http://m.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/sep/24/nuggets-atkins-miss-camp-after-knee-surgery/):

Karl hopes Atkins will be able to return early in the regular season, which begins Oct. 29 at Utah. With that in mind, Karl said the Nuggets expect to sign veteran free-agent point guard Mateen Cleaves and also will bring to camp Jamon Gordon, a rookie from Virginia Tech who averaged 1.6 points and 1.2 assists for Denver’s summer-league team.

While Gordon isn’t considered much more than a camp player, Cleaves, 31, has played six NBA seasons. Cleaves hasn’t appeared in an NBA game since 2005-06, although the Nuggets had brought him in for a workout out in April 2007 before deciding instead to sign Carter for the remainder of that season.

Cleaves has NBA career averages of 3.6 points and 1.9 assists. The former Michigan State star played parts of the past two seasons with the Bakersfield Jam of the NBA Development League.

After returning to Denver last weekend, Atkins told the Nuggets about his knee. He had an magnetic resonance imaging exam done Monday, and it was determined that the surgery, performed by Nuggets orthopedic doctor Steve Traina, would be necessary.

“He had an MRI done in Orlando, and it came back OK,” Karl said. “But we just feel we had to clean up stuff that needs to be done. ... It’s not one of those injuries where there’s a small chance he’ll be able to get back in the rotation. But I think there’s a good chance he’ll get back in the rotation.”

In the meantime, Karl will get creative. Other than Carter, Cleaves and Gordon, the Nuggets have Allen Iverson able to play the point and J.R. Smith can handle the ball.

“I think you’ll see us mess around with point forward and J.R.,” Karl said.

Atkins turned 34 last month, and has been plagued by injuries since the Nuggets signed him in the summer of 2007.

Asked if he’s concerned about Atkins’ ongoing health troubles, Karl said, “That’s for philosophical personnel meetings.”

Atkins will make a guaranteed $3.24 million season. He’s due to make $3.48 million in 2009-10, but only $760,000 of it is guaranteed.

Had he not gotten hurt, Atkins would have challenged to be a starter to begin the season. As it is, Karl said, the guard spot opposite Iverson is the only starting spot up for grabs.

Karl said he could start Carter at the point and Iverson at the shooting guard, which is what he did last season. Or he could start Iverson at the point and Smith at shooting guard.:clap:

So it looks like even the Nuggets are thinking about J.R to star, that's really good...
and who is Cleeves, does anybody know?????

Kohaku
09-24-2008, 08:41 PM
Karl starting Carter again? Has he learned nothing?

AIMelo=KillaDUO
09-24-2008, 08:51 PM
I'm pretty sick of Anthony Carter, I really hope chucky is healthy, so he can start, I like JR comin off tha bench about 6 minutes into tha games to bring us that energy off tha bench. Cuz if we start off slow where will our offense come from off the bench? Kleiza is good but I dont think he can carry tha whole offensive load on his own shoulders.

DenButsu
09-24-2008, 09:08 PM
Thanks for posting the article, 010957. Can you please wrap it in quote code and provide the link (links especially are absolutely required for posted articles in order to avoid copyright infringement violations). Thanks. :cool:

“I think you’ll see us mess around with point forward and J.R.,” Karl said.

Oh, no. THAT guy is gonna start coming around again. (If you've spent time in the NBA forum, you'll know of who I speak).

But who would that be... Melo?!? I mean he's really the only forward we have with any kind of handle at all. LK? :laugh2: K? :laugh2: Balkman or Birdman?!? :laugh:

Wow...

Come on, George, it's just staring you right in the face. It's so simple:

AI-JR-Melo-K-Nene

09-24-2008, 10:40 PM
okay then, i'll keep that in mind for next time

DJiC
09-25-2008, 12:44 AM
cleaves and so guy named gordon? wow why dont we sign abdur rahim and cwebb and jalen rose along with mark jackson and john barry while were at it...hey i think voshon leonard is a FA too...kmon nuggest cleaves? hes a scrub we dont need more scrubs taking up salary and bench space

DenButsu
09-25-2008, 01:03 AM
okay then, i'll keep that in mind for next time

Thanks. I went ahead and did it for you this time.

------------------------

In other news, looks like we'll have another big in training camp, too:

http://m.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/sep/24/nuggets-atkins-miss-camp-after-knee-surgery/

Fazekas wants to come home to Nuggets

The Nuggets haven't had a player from a Denver area high school on the roster since trading Chauncey Billups in February 2000.

Nick Fazekas would like to change that.

Fazekas, a 2003 Ralston Valley High School graduate, said Tuesday he will sign a nonguaranteed contract with the Nuggets before the start of next week's training camp. The 6-foot-11 forward said he had "lots" of camp offers but believes he can make the Nuggets, who recently lost big men Marcus Camby and Eduardo Najera.

"I'm confident I can," said Fazekas, who will sign for the $711,517 minimum after averaging 4.1 points in 26 games last season as a rookie with Dallas and the Clippers. "I don't want it to sound like I'm talking with an ego, but I feel I'm good enough to play in the NBA."

If Fazekas, who worked out at the Pepsi Center on Tuesday for a second straight day after having recent workouts with Cleveland, Dallas, Oklahoma City and San Antonio, doesn't bring local flavor to the Nuggets, forward Michael Ruffin could. Ruffin, who also has been working out at the Pepsi Center, expects to attend training camp with Denver or Chicago.

"I'll know in the next few days," said Ruffin, a 1995 Cherry Creek High School graduate who played last season with Milwaukee and has a 1.8 average in eight NBA seasons. "I'll talk to my agent (Andy Miller) and talk to (Denver) coaches and try to get an idea about them keeping a 14th player."

The cost-cutting Nuggets might begin the season with the minimum of 13 players. But word now is a 14th could be kept, especially if a young prospect such as Fazekas shows promise.

While Fazekas said it would be "unique" playing for his hometown team, he'll get paid this season regardless. Dallas, which waived him in February after signing him to a two-year guaranteed deal, owes him $711,517.rockymountainnews (http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/sep/23/fazekas-wants-to-be-nuggets-big-man-on-campus/)

DenButsu
09-25-2008, 01:51 AM
I asked about Fazekas in the Clippers forum (he played for them last season). Here's what ClipperNation14 said:

Just another backup big at best.

He was drafted early second round last year, but doesn't have much potential. Has a good stroke for a big man (out to mid-range), but he's soft and didn't show that high perimeter/3 point range he was advertised with.

He can finish around the basket, has a soft touch but not much else.

AIMelo=KillaDUO
09-25-2008, 02:57 AM
Jamon Gordon and Mateen Cleaves??

I've never heard those names before in my life till I read this article, But, I don't understand why we bring these guys in here to workout, and we can't even bring Shaun Livingston to workout?

Makes no sense :pity:

DenButsu
09-25-2008, 03:32 AM
Jamon Gordon and Mateen Cleaves??

I've never heard those names before in my life till I read this article, But, I don't understand why we bring these guys in here to workout, and we can't even bring Shaun Livingston to workout?

Makes no sense :pity:

Well, Livingston isn't going to sign a $500,000 non-guaranteed contract. He'll seek a low-paying ($2 mil.?) multi-year deal. No team's going to pick him up for less than two seasons, because it's 2009-10 that they'll be looking to cash in on the investment.

DJiC
09-25-2008, 09:50 AM
id rather take a chance on livingston rather than gordon/cleaves...isnt cleaves as old as atkins or carter anyways? is what we need is another overrated player who has done nothing in the NBA but bounce from team to team....kmon nuggets just start ai or bring in shaun that is our best cheap option....or we just wait till 2010 and try and keep melo and get lebron or wade...thats option 2

Spurred1
09-25-2008, 07:10 PM
It says Ruffin worked out for the Nuggets. Is he the real dumb guy that used to play for the Wizards a couple of years ago?

DenButsu
09-25-2008, 11:41 PM
Is he the real dumb guy

Couldn't be. The Nuggets only accept players with really high IQs. :rolleyes:

DJiC
09-26-2008, 12:40 AM
ruffin is that real dumb guy from the bucks....can we stop looking at garbage players and stop looking at some prospects possibly someone in FA who actually got playing time the last game they played in

fly boy
09-26-2008, 07:46 AM
LIVINGSTON is the answer but im pretty sure gk told the front office no on that one n they probably listened so thats y there looking at all these bumb players lol

AIMelo=KillaDUO
09-26-2008, 08:47 PM
Michael Ruffin?? NO!!! When AI was in Philly, I wacthed Ruffin play, he's problley the worst player in the league.

09-27-2008, 07:53 PM
LIVINGSTON is the answer but im pretty sure gk told the front office no on that one n they probably listened so thats y there looking at all these bumb players lol

What's this with George Karl, has he said no to Livingston? or am i reading it wrong:(

Kohaku
09-27-2008, 08:19 PM
Michael Ruffin?? NO!!! When AI was in Philly, I wacthed Ruffin play, he's problley the worst player in the league.

Kwame *cough*.