PDA

View Full Version : Todd Jones To Retire

Cullksinikers
09-24-2008, 04:55 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3606918

Does this mean you guys will push harder to get K-Rod???

mark1125
09-24-2008, 05:40 PM
I don't think Jones retirement impacts their interest in K-rod. Jones was not going to be with the Tigers again anyways. I like K-Rod, but I am afraid of the price tag that will come with. I would rather them go after a Brandon Lyon/Brian Fuentes and spend some cash on starter, SS (if not going with Santiago), and a BU catcher of some quality because Inge's .210 avg won't get it done.

Epic89
09-24-2008, 05:54 PM
On Jones' retirement; good riddance, couldn't have done it after 2005?

On K-Rod; should happen, but won't as the team is gonna be cheap this offseason. I guess the solution to investments gone bad is no investments at all :rolleyes:

smarkow
09-24-2008, 07:15 PM
The guy did have some GREAT years. He always made it an exciting/excrutiating game. But, overall, i'd say he's had a good career.

He is 14th on the All Time save list with 319 saves.

Epic89
09-25-2008, 12:06 AM
He is 14th on the All Time save list with 319 saves.

Blind squirrels find acorns

scottie
09-25-2008, 01:14 PM
Todd: I would like to thank you for all your hard work and all the saves you've had here. without you in the good years we would have been not so good.

scottie
09-25-2008, 04:57 PM
blind squirrels find acorns

not 319 of them!

stanpapi
09-25-2008, 06:38 PM
He was a decent closer for a long time, but not the guy I wanted to go to the playoffs with. I'm relieved that's going, just glad he's gone before he had a chance to really bugger anything up. I will remember him fondly for the most part, but I'm glad that he's gone. He's a stop-gap closer.

mark1125
09-25-2008, 08:28 PM
He was a decent closer for a long time, but not the guy I wanted to go to the playoffs with. I'm relieved that's going, just glad he's gone before he had a chance to really bugger anything up. I will remember him fondly for the most part, but I'm glad that he's gone. He's a stop-gap closer.

The thing is......I like Todd Jones. He is very likeable, is a good team guy, and was a fan of Tiger history. He had some good years as a closer for poor to mediocre teams. His time was past though and when a closer enters a game, you should feel SOME confidence that they will get it done. I haven't had that feeling from Jones (or anyone else in our pen for awhile). I am glad he realized his days are done. Enjoy the millions and your retirement.

stanpapi
09-26-2008, 11:04 AM
I wouldn't say he was a great guy. I'd say he was a bit of a cracker. He said some pretty awful things about groups of people in the past. As a player, I was mildly amused by the whole roller coaster thing when the Tigers had bad teams. But even then, he was a stop-gap closer who was able to hang around for a long time. He was an interesting player, but he was never the guy. He was simply a guy who could throw strikes when you needed a guy to throw strikes. Didn't mean he was a great closer, or even particularly good -- he wasn't. He was a stop gap for when you didn't have anyone better, and we didn't have anyone better for a lot of years.

mkool65
09-27-2008, 03:51 AM
I know that most people on here HATE Todd Jones but I really liked him. He was a good clubhouse guy and good in the bullpen, for the most part he had a good save percentage just a high ERA. I like him a hell of a lot more than Rodney!

stanpapi
09-27-2008, 02:36 PM
Yeah, well I don't like him more than John Hiller, Willie Hernandez, or Mike Hennemen. Those are the types of guys you can win with. Jones was never one of those guys.

Bondomania
09-27-2008, 07:29 PM
i am curious to see how Perry works out... either as a starter or as a BP arm.. but i think he will contribute next year