PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to last place, Detroit

Epic89
09-24-2008, 01:32 AM
If someone can think of an expectation that wouldn't be too high for this team, feel free to share it- I got nothin'

mark1125
09-24-2008, 07:16 AM
If someone can think of an expectation that wouldn't be too high for this team, feel free to share it- I got nothin'

I am embarassed for them. If you would have told me this year that they would be a lsat place team, I would have bet my life against it.

JackB
09-24-2008, 07:51 AM
Does it really matter? If you don't make the playoffs? Can anybody tell me every team in every division that finished second or third last year? With out looking it up? I didn't think so. Because nobody really cares. Somebody has to finish last and somebody has to finish ahead of them.
So big deal. Royals fans can say. Well. At least we didn't finish last. I have been a Tiger fan for longer then most of you here. Maybe longer then all of you. Over time you will come to realize its just a game. Things like this won't bother you as much.
I have sat at Fenway park cheering on the Tigers against the Red Sox and have the fans get all over me. I just give it all back to them but in total fun. I would remind them about all the years they never won a WS. I would remind them about the two the Tigers had .I would remind them that back in 1967 they couldn't get it done against the Cardinals and Bob Gibson. That the Tigers beat the Cardinals and Gibson the following year . I would remind them they couldn't get it done against the Reds in 1975. They were bound to turn things around. Look at teams like the Cubs. Same thing as the Red Sox. Don't get so hung up on last place or third place. Unless you win it all. The rest is meaningless.

scottie
09-24-2008, 12:17 PM
Better draft pick, bring it on!!!!!!!!!!!! We need a catcher who can hit and field, a closer, a starting and mid-inning pitcher. I'd take a 3rd baseman and 2nd as well.

Hermie13
09-24-2008, 01:00 PM
Better draft pick, bring it on!!!!!!!!!!!! We need a catcher who can hit and field, a closer, a starting and mid-inning pitcher. I'd take a 3rd baseman and 2nd as well.

2nd baseman? Polanco is cheap and very good. Unless you think he'll leave after this year and you want a long term solution then ok....but he's better than almost all the other 2B's in the AL (Pedroia, Kinsler, and Roberts are only ones you can say are better).

Just saw that Todd Jones is planning on announcing his retirement.....just an fyi (not sure you guys care, lol)...

MSK55
09-24-2008, 02:27 PM
I'm right there with you, JackB. When it was clear that they were out of it, the rest of the season became meaningless. You'd like them to do well and you'd like them to be respectable, but why does it really matter if they finish in last place? The real embarrassment is not being in the race with what they were given. At this point, standings don't mean anything.

As a side not regarding this matter, you can really tell who has been a Tigers fan for a while and who has been a Tigers fan since 2006. Greedy punks with their high expectations and fair-weather mentalities...

mark1125
09-24-2008, 05:19 PM
I'm right there with you, JackB. When it was clear that they were out of it, the rest of the season became meaningless. You'd like them to do well and you'd like them to be respectable, but why does it really matter if they finish in last place? The real embarrassment is not being in the race with what they were given. At this point, standings don't mean anything.

As a side not regarding this matter, you can really tell who has been a Tigers fan for a while and who has been a Tigers fan since 2006. Greedy punks with their high expectations and fair-weather mentalities...

I have been a Tiger guy since the 80's. There is nothing wrong with having high expectations. You have to admit that their effort was not anything to be proud of. If they worked hard, but didn't have the talent (late 80's/90's), you could enjoy that. When you have high talent and salaries and most underperform, that is tougher to swallow.

Cursed Rangers
09-24-2008, 05:48 PM
Try being a Ranger fan for 30 years....

Epic89
09-24-2008, 05:50 PM
The more-stalwart-than-though, shun-the-bandwagon fan mentality is impossibly annoying, especially when the team has screwed the pooch so badly as they have this year.

If you are masochistic in nature and can consistently watch a team play so poorly it insults the intellect, good for you, that is entirely commendable and you deserve praise. If you don't however, as is the case with me, there is nothing wrong with that.

Just 'cause I don't turn a blind eye when the team ****s up, or buy into false promises of October glory, doesn't make me any less of a fan.

smarkow
09-24-2008, 07:17 PM
Does it really matter? If you don't make the playoffs?

Personally, I think it does make a difference. I think its pitiful that we are going to finish the season behind the Royals. Absolutely pitiful.

JackB
09-24-2008, 08:26 PM
The Royals are the better team. They should finish behind them. I would love the Tigers to have some of those players. Not only are they hungry but they are cheap. They have one of the best closers in the game. His numbers are right there with Papelbons. Yet he doesn't get the recognition because he doesn't play for a winner. The Royals are going to be heard from sooner then you think. People laughed all year at the Rays. They said no way they would be able to continue to win. Longoria went down. Crawford went down. And now Upton yet they continue to win with guys that are hungry and not making the big bucks.
I have been a Tiger fan a long time. Through the bad and the good. I never stop rooting for them .Even when they have years like this one. I just remember back a few short years and the 113 loses. Maybe more. Hell I stopped counting at 100. No matter how good or how bad I am there.
I stopped looking at what they could do before the season starts long ago. This year proved its not always about the payroll. With the Tigers and the Rays. Total opposites.
I'm not suggesting that any of you have jumped ship. All Im saying is don't take it so seriously. It is only a game.
I used to have DETROIT on my license plates. I took the front one off and brought to Fenway and had Sparky sign it for me. I have a foul ball that I caught signed by Cecil Fielder the year he hit 51 hrs. My very first pro game was the Tigers/ Red Sox 1961 . Yes one of you called me an old man.I take that as a compliment. I hope you all live to be as old as me. I love the game. My fantasy baseball team is called
"For the love of the game". No not because of the movie. I started the name before the movie came out.
Don't get yourselves all worked up about losing. Theres always next year . Aren;t there bigger things to worry about in life? Why add to the stress ? Enjoy the game.

MinnesotaTiger
09-24-2008, 08:51 PM
I am not about to overdose on pain medication over this season. Nor am I going to cut my wrists. And I am not going to loose sleep over it, but a fan approaches each game with eager anticipation and each season with high hopes. To say it doesn't matter where the Tigers finish (unless it's first place) is simply ludicrous. Would I be disappointed if they finshed in second place one game out? Of course. Do I feel more disappointed that they finshed last!!! Of course...how can't you!?!?! Finshing last implies they have a long way to go before challenging for the World Series (I know there are exceptions to this rule), and as a devout fan, this concernes me and disappoints me. This season has perhaps one of the biggestest surprises and biggest disappointments in baseball history; the rise of the Rays and the demise of the Tigers. I would challenge anyone to ask the players if it matters where they finsh the season, I bet the Royals roster is filled with guys who are playing like their lives depended on staying out of last place. Would anyone in this forum tell their son or daughter, "Hey, I know you came in second, and since you didn't come in first, you may as well have finshed last, because it doesn't really matter!" By the way, the last time I looked the Royals are playing like a team possessed, it is now 9-0, they sure seem like they care. :confused:

JackB
09-24-2008, 09:45 PM
You might also want to check out the lineup of the Royals tonight. Not many big names playing. You are taking what I said about if you don't finish first it might as well be last out of context. Of course it matters. I coach part time in football and baseball and I tell my players never ever quit. Not if you are up 10-0 or down 10-0 in baseball. Or up 40-0 or down 40-0 . You hard until the clock ticks O or the last inning is played. The point of the posistion reference is . Nobody remembers who finished second, third or last.

MinnesotaTiger
09-24-2008, 09:57 PM
Jack, maybe my issue was more with MSK55, who posted; "When it was clear that they were out of it, the rest of the season became meaningless" and "Why does it really matter if they finish in last place."

stanpapi
09-24-2008, 11:47 PM

So what, if you don't make the playoffs, you just tank the season? That's what they're doing, they're tanking. And if that's the kind of team you've got, one that just tanks because it's not going to make the playoffs, you've got to re-invent that team. Tigers fan -- man, if you think what these guys are doing is okay, you're not even a baseball fan. Tigers fans have the nuts to say when something's not right, and what's going on here is not okay.

And to the other dude, this is not 1975. We were rebuilding in 75, and that much I have witnessed. In fact, the 76 team is one of my favourite teams to watch, and they finished fifth. I also recall that the 83 team finished second and came back with something to build onto in 84 (same as the 67 and 68 teams). So what I'm saying is clean the *@^$$*!!* house. Not because they're in last. Clean house because they tanked. Man, you don't get it. The 75 team didn't tank. The 75 team was just bad. This team is tanking, and now it really is too late to win out on account of you can't take back the tanking part.

Epic89
09-25-2008, 12:05 AM
I figure the best way to be bitter and mad is just not to care, not so say anything, so I'll shut up for now.

MSK55
09-25-2008, 07:20 AM
Jeez, you guys really know how to pick a post apart. I guess I did word things poorly, made myself look like an ***, and I apologize.

I don't think it is excusable to play as poorly as they have at all, and not once did I state that. From a fan standpoint, I also don't think that our "tanking" (no longer watching, obsessively watching game after game, following what's going on in the minors) is such a horrible thing, because we all have lives that are worth living past watching a sub-.500 baseball team in the final two months. There is a world outside of baseball, it's easy to enjoy that when your team blows it.

I stand by it---if the Royals finish ahead of the Tigers, I'm not going to care at all. They didn't make it to the playoffs. They weren't in the race down the stretch. It absolutely does not matter where they finish in the standings, not one bit. I'm sorry if I'm not "too proud" like some of you, but I don't get why everyone is throwing a fit. Competing for fourth place in a five team division is not a competition that I'm going to invest a lot of concern in. Please.

Also, Epic89, I meant the bit about fair-weather fans as sarcastic. I understand why people would be turning away from the team this season, there were high price expectations and bargain-bin results. It didn't come out well, and I apologize if you took that as any kind of attack.

Bondomania
09-25-2008, 10:35 AM
the season is over.. has been over for a while, yeah it is dissappointing, but at the same time all this means is we will get better picks at this point... which means we might get someone that can contribute relatively soon.. i don't want to be negative, but it is becoming more obvious that we are going to have to re-tool and i think the problems with our pitching staff might be more serious than i originally thought... no one is throwing the ball well and we can't get strikes when we need them... it is just ridiculous, and as much as i don't want maggs to get shipped off, it is starting to look like it is the best idea at this point moving forward, because we could actually get someone of value that can contribute this year

Crying MN fan
09-29-2008, 03:30 AM
Let's go Tigers!!

JackB
09-29-2008, 07:58 AM
Amen Bondo. I love Maggs as well. But lets face it. The offense didn't exactly tear the cover off the ball either. They were shutout what 13-14 times? They scored huge when it didn't mean anything. How many one or two run games did we lose . Yes the bullpen blew a ton of games. But a little more production and the pitching match ups might have changed the out come. I'm not saying they would have won that many more.
But certainly it would have helped .
Maggs could bring us a first line or second starter. And maybe a top prospect. I know some won't agree . But he is a machine. And his contract is still fairly cheap for todays market.I say look around. Field offers. Do what Joe D did. If you don't get an offer you like you hang onto him. Don't make a trade to make a trade.
I'm hoping Garcia throws well today. He could be a decent back of the rotation starter next year. Plus I want the Twinkies to go to the playoffs. They are more fun to watch.