PDA

View Full Version : Better player: Young Kobe or Current Kobe?

arlubas
09-23-2008, 08:12 PM
I was thinking about this earlier today at work (yeah unfortunately I think about basketball almost everywhere...) and was thinking since Kobe gets compared to everyone else in the league or out of it why not make the comparison to himself?

So which version of Kobe would you rather have on your team, the young high flyer that could explode on any give night and dunk on almost anyone or the current Kobe with his high b-ball IQ and great court vision amongst other things? Before you rush to answer this remember Kobe got his chips while being his older self (even as a 2nd option) whereas he has failed to win a title on his own yet.

For the record I'll take the current Kobe even if he hasn't won a ring yet with that mindset.

Hopefully this won't go off topic as many times as Kobe hits the 30 pts mark... *crosses fingers*

PS: No I'm not a Kobe fanboy if you're thinking about it.

Nighthawk
09-23-2008, 08:18 PM
May i introduce this post to the laker forum???

LAKERMANIA
09-23-2008, 08:20 PM
Young Kobe was better post up player with a decent outside shot and great defense..

Older Kobe has the whole package, the only problem is, young Kobe would attack the basket more often than older Kobe would and the older Kobe would shoot more outside jumpers than younger kobe would.. Older Kobe is by far better, but younger Kobe seemed to make good decisions when he used to attack the rim and get to the line

MiamiHeat
09-23-2008, 08:22 PM
How bout Middle kobe? not too young or not too old
Prime Kobe im guessin.. lol

EL Fetusqueezer
09-23-2008, 08:23 PM
the kobe nowadays is really mike penberthy with charcoal rubbed on

Vidball
09-23-2008, 08:26 PM
I would definitely say this Kobe...his D is a little behind where it was a few years ago, but its still top notch. He is much better now at playing within the flow of the offense. He's got as complete of an offensive game right now as we've seen. This past season was also his first season for years where he's allowed other members of the team to stay involved in the game over the last few minutes of the 4th (maybe because he has the help he needs now). He really has taken his game to another level. As far as not getting his chips as the "new" Kobe...I'm pretty confident the "new" Kobe will grab some more rings.

Vidball
09-23-2008, 08:27 PM
the kobe nowadays is really mike penberthy with charcoal rubbed on

Penberthy is one of the all-time greats--I have NO IDEA why his number isn't hanging in the rafters.

Hometeamrivals
09-23-2008, 08:34 PM
Current is a better shout and smarter player. That wins ball games

RoyalG333
09-23-2008, 08:36 PM
Definitely the Kobe of now. The swagger, the IQ, the brilliance, he is much more fun to watch now. And he can still occasionally throw it down like he was 19 years old!

JOSETHEALLSTAR
09-23-2008, 08:37 PM
Current Kobe

knicks1214
09-23-2008, 08:37 PM
Current Kobe. The reason why he is one of my favorite NBA players now is because he is more of a team player than the younger Kobe was. He is one of the smartest, if not the smartest, NBA players (I.Q. wise.) True the younger Kobe was much more of a high flyer, but the current Kobe outplays him everywhere else-shooting, defense, and I.Q.

AIMelo=KillaDUO
09-23-2008, 08:38 PM
you shoulda put this in tha laker forum.

EL Fetusqueezer
09-23-2008, 08:54 PM
Penberthy is one of the all-time greats--I have NO IDEA why his number isn't hanging in the rafters.

With a name penberthy people would think of some fruity tutti ice cream so he got surgery, some charcoal, threw kobe in the woodchipper, and became the kobe we all know today. It is not that uncommon for one to change races. many people have done it before
http://www.freakingnews.com/Black-People-Pictures--455.asp

arlubas
09-23-2008, 08:57 PM
Current Kobe. The reason why he is one of my favorite NBA players now is because he is more of a team player than the younger Kobe was. He is one of the smartest, if not the smartest, NBA players (I.Q. wise.) True the younger Kobe was much more of a high flyer, but the current Kobe outplays him everywhere else-shooting, defense, and I.Q.

I wouldn't say the current Kobe plays better defense than the younger Kobe...

arlubas
09-23-2008, 08:57 PM
you shoulda put this in tha laker forum.

Not really. Kobe is one of the biggest stars the NBA currently has and I don't wanna hear the opinion of only Laker fans.

Beno7500
09-23-2008, 09:05 PM
Current

cmellofan15
09-23-2008, 09:09 PM
If current means last year then current but if its between 2004 and 2008 then the old b/c he was ballhogg-ish and a bit immature for his age but recently he's been doing great IMO

GSRaider
09-23-2008, 09:14 PM
easy question...

current Kobe

Blue Tiger
09-23-2008, 09:22 PM
I say the current Kobe because he's playing smarter basketball and he's not no nappy headed fool when he was younger.

heyman321
09-23-2008, 09:28 PM
This really isn't a question, current Kobe is a total offensive machine, all around player, and less selfish now. Young Kobe was just flashy.

JJ_JKidd
09-23-2008, 09:34 PM
This really isn't a question, current Kobe is a total offensive machine, all around player, and less selfish now. Young Kobe was just flashy.

Right on. This shouldnt even be a question.

superkegger
09-23-2008, 09:38 PM
It's a tough question, because when you look at the young Kobe, you have to remember that even though at times he was absoulutely frickin brilliant, he also had this guy named shaq on the team. And while people like to minimize and forget that, having shaq on the floor did a lot for Kobe's game. ANd since then his game has evolved to become more well rounded, and hes become a better leader. Now with that said, I do feel that the young kobe, of say their 2nd championship was more deadly, but damn, when shaq wasn't their he had better scoring seasons. So its hard to say. Personally, i would take that Kobe from 2 years ago when he dropped 35+ a game. That Kobe with this team, yikes.

23LBJCleBrowns
09-23-2008, 09:42 PM
only young cuz of his finals

#1Mavericksfan
09-23-2008, 09:47 PM
Young Kobe that was with Shaq, team didn't even have an answer for him or Shaq.

dre1990
09-23-2008, 09:51 PM
he's not old yet, and he's best now

Lakersfan2483
09-23-2008, 10:14 PM
I would rather have the current Kobe, however I did like the way he used to attack the basket more and get to the line. His shooting has improved more as he has gotten older, but I think he has a tendency to settle for way too many jumpers. I like the way he's playing now, but he should attack the rim more.

LakersOrNothing
09-23-2008, 10:22 PM
I'd take current Kobe over old Kobe anyday. Sure old Kobe won championships, but was way too selfish to some/most standards. Yes he was flashy, tougher, but.. his basketball IQ is nothing like it is now. Kobe isn't the most unselfish player now either, but he manages the ball alot better and makes way better judgement then he has ever had

ink
09-23-2008, 10:48 PM
Current Kobe.

Hawkeye15
09-25-2008, 01:19 PM
Current. He just doesn't have a 29 year old, 7'1", 350 lb center to help him win a ring. It is a little tougher if you don't have another superstar on your team. The current Kobe is much smarter, and still a great athlete

DreamShaker
09-25-2008, 01:23 PM
Current Kobe...

Now if you asked young T-Mac or current T-Mac then that would have been the real debate....because Kobe shoots outside more but his shot is sweet enough to where it doesn't matter....T-Mac does the same thing Kobe is doing now but he's not nearly the shooter....

arlubas
09-25-2008, 01:42 PM
Current Kobe...

Now if you asked young T-Mac or current T-Mac then that would have been the real debate....because Kobe shoots outside more but his shot is sweet enough to where it doesn't matter....T-Mac does the same thing Kobe is doing now but he's not nearly the shooter....

T-Mac has just gotten inconsistent as hell as a shooter. I mean he could literally be on fire one game then the next two shooting bricks from everywhere. He's gonna score for you, no doubt, but at what cost?

JordansBulls
09-25-2008, 01:47 PM
I was thinking about this earlier today at work (yeah unfortunately I think about basketball almost everywhere...) and was thinking since Kobe gets compared to everyone else in the league or out of it why not make the comparison to himself?

So which version of Kobe would you rather have on your team, the young high flyer that could explode on any give night and dunk on almost anyone or the current Kobe with his high b-ball IQ and great court vision amongst other things? Before you rush to answer this remember Kobe got his chips while being his older self (even as a 2nd option) whereas he has failed to win a title on his own yet.

For the record I'll take the current Kobe even if he hasn't won a ring yet with that mindset.

Hopefully this won't go off topic as many times as Kobe hits the 30 pts mark... *crosses fingers*

PS: No I'm not a Kobe fanboy if you're thinking about it.

Kobe with the Fro or without?
:D

I'd take current Kobe. He trust his teammates more, smarter player overall.

NYstateofMinD
09-25-2008, 02:24 PM
I would like a hybrid of both, current Kobe being 20 years old. Just Kidding, current Kobe because of his IQ.

Wilson
09-25-2008, 02:26 PM
It's a tough question, because when you look at the young Kobe, you have to remember that even though at times he was absoulutely frickin brilliant, he also had this guy named shaq on the team. And while people like to minimize and forget that, having shaq on the floor did a lot for Kobe's game. ANd since then his game has evolved to become more well rounded, and hes become a better leader. Now with that said, I do feel that the young kobe, of say their 2nd championship was more deadly, but damn, when shaq wasn't their he had better scoring seasons. So its hard to say. Personally, i would take that Kobe from 2 years ago when he dropped 35+ a game. That Kobe with this team, yikes.

I don't think it's that he can't put 35 a game up anymore, it's just what was needed of him 2 years ago. Last season, with the growth of Sasha, Farmar and Bynum, as well as the additions of Fisher and Pau, the overall team was much improved, and like people stated, he trusts his teammates more now.

As for the question, I'm gonna go with everyone else and say current Kobe.

DreamShaker
09-25-2008, 02:31 PM
Kobe with the Fro or without?
:D

I'd take current Kobe. He trust his teammates more, smarter player overall.

The fro needs to make a comeback!

_Sn1P3r_
09-25-2008, 04:41 PM
T-Mac has just gotten inconsistent as hell as a shooter. I mean he could literally be on fire one game then the next two shooting bricks from everywhere. He's gonna score for you, no doubt, but at what cost?

Yeah I agree. Sometimes when he's off, I still see him shooting it. If he's off, he should attack to get himself going and the shot will come.

Lost Art
09-25-2008, 04:44 PM
Current Kobe........and he's still getting better every year

GSW_Soul
09-26-2008, 12:06 AM
Imo I think current Kobe is way better than younger Kobe. His shot is way better and he has better defense than he used to and plus he has better handlings.

Chronz
09-26-2008, 02:44 AM
Id take older Kobe but a younger Kobe in this league wouldve been crazy.

Current Kobe...

Kobe is actually a better finisher and slasher, Tmac shot is on par with Kobes as far as their midrange game is concerned, its the 3pt ability and FT shooting that he needs to bring up.

XJW18
09-26-2008, 05:56 AM
Both are awesome of course!
But id take the Kobe of Today.
He is more of a team player, and still has that intensity and hunger he had when he was younger.
Plus he is wiser!