PDA

View Full Version : Do you think the NBA should get rid of the salary cap?

NYKnickFanatic
09-23-2008, 11:05 AM
I sure do.

:up:

29$JerZ
09-23-2008, 11:13 AM
No

Knicks fans do though :)

NYKnickFanatic
09-23-2008, 11:15 AM
No

Knicks fans do though :)

You betcha! :D

HOZ THE KNICK
09-23-2008, 11:26 AM
i agree with getting rid of the salary cap,we probaly sign a all star at every position.

Tblaze
09-23-2008, 11:30 AM
naw it would turn into a moneygame, most $$ = championship

ramansingh3
09-23-2008, 11:34 AM
I don't think they will get rid of it but make it more flexuable.

Wilson
09-23-2008, 11:42 AM
I don't think they should. Over here with football (soccer), there isn't any type of salary cap, so it's the same teams at the top every year, which I find incredibly boring. It also takes away an element of strategy with how to construct a team.

I don't know how many other people are like this, but I prefer seeing a team that is made without many (if any) superstars win with chemistry than a team of all-stars blow someone off the court.

However, if European basketball continues to grow, and it gets to the point where there can be seriously competitive games between European clubs and American clubs, then my stance might change.

futureman
09-23-2008, 12:05 PM
I wouldn't want the lakers winning the championship every year. Get rid of the salary cap and you might as well change the NBA's name to WWE.

ink
09-23-2008, 12:18 PM
naw it would turn into a moneygame, most $$ = championship

:nod:

FortyDubs
09-23-2008, 12:21 PM
Get rid of the cap and make a salary floor.

DreamShaker
09-23-2008, 12:40 PM
I actually want to change my vote to no....

But I do think they should increase it by a substantial margin....say like....10 million....

DreamShaker
09-23-2008, 12:40 PM
Get rid of the cap and make a salary floor.

Call me ignorant but what is that??

Hawkeye15
09-23-2008, 12:43 PM
NOOOOOOOOOO. Then you would get what baseball has, and that is the same teams over and over dominating. It is fine the way it is. the small market teams would disappear. Naturally, a Knicks or lakers fan would love this idea, because you're teams have unlimited funds

DQL
09-23-2008, 12:48 PM
hell no. Rich and popular teams would dominate forever. Kind of European soccer, year by year you will only see 3 or 4 clubs in title run

23LBJCleBrowns
09-23-2008, 04:08 PM
yes because my team could sign anyone.

23LBJCleBrowns
09-23-2008, 04:08 PM
no because then other teams might get better while my team does nothing.

$ NyC $
09-23-2008, 04:34 PM
Not get rid of it. How about a...let's start from scratch year?! loll. We look at all our players and get to re work their contracts depending on that player. JJ1 and 2 would prob get like 750,000 K TOPS, Z-bo maybe a little easier contract, 9 p'year you feel me?

Lebron23
09-23-2008, 04:44 PM
Big Market Teams will always be the dominant force in the NBA, and Can you imagine LeBron James, Kobe Bryant, and Pau Gasol playing on the same team the Los Angeles Lakers will just own the Western Conference every year just like in the 1980's.

JMan17
09-23-2008, 05:04 PM
yes because my team could sign anyone.

yet no player would want to live in Cleveland...

SensandRaps
09-23-2008, 05:07 PM
dont get rid of the cap or small market teams will have horrible teams

MiamiHeat
09-23-2008, 05:12 PM
nah but they should make it a little higher just a little :)

mrblisterdundee
09-23-2008, 05:20 PM
I think all professional sports should be socialized. Players should be payed no more than the average gross domestic product of their countries, in exchange for having their living expenses covered.

BALLER71
09-23-2008, 05:24 PM
Nah.
Lakers and Knicks would be in the finals every year.

Fireworld
09-23-2008, 05:37 PM
No

fishfan79
09-23-2008, 05:43 PM
hell no. Rich and popular teams would dominate forever. Kind of European soccer, year by year you will only see 3 or 4 clubs in title run

perfectly said

STLIEN
09-23-2008, 05:57 PM
does anybody ever look at the big picture here? Without a salary cap, teams will over spend just to land a player and eventually the fans are the ones who have to suffer from the teams bidding wars. It's already expensive enough to go to a game. I realize everyone wants their team to be the best, but how much more money as fans do we have to sacrifice to make these players not start crying that $20 million a year is not enough.

Beno7500
09-23-2008, 06:08 PM
I don't think they should.

Sixerlover
09-23-2008, 06:11 PM
And let Mark Cuban go even crazier? No thanks, I am for the cap.

knicks1214
09-23-2008, 06:12 PM
yet no player would want to live in Cleveland...
Lmfao. Excatly. I voted yes because then the Knicks would do incredible-Huge market in arguably the best city and state in the U.S and the coach that plays the least amount of defense and the most offense->every NBA player's dream. I think they should though make it more flexible. Like raise it to around 70.

downsos
09-23-2008, 06:26 PM
No, the salary cap makes things so much better! They should add a minimum so that a crappy owner can't just sit there and make a ton a money putting out a crap team

SensandRaps
09-23-2008, 06:35 PM
^^ i agree kinda like wat memphis is doin now

SpeeMN
09-23-2008, 06:52 PM
NO!!!!! It's one thing for baseball to have no salary cap because there are so many players on each team that in the end they can all compete with each other (Diamonds in the rough). But for a 13-15 man team to have no salary cap, the richest team would ALWAYS be the best. The players would be making tooooooooooo much money also. And say goodbye to small market teams.

NO!!!!!

AFlagRules
09-23-2008, 06:52 PM
You guys do realize that the cap in basketball is a "Soft" cap. Meaning if your ownership has enough money to pay the luxury tax, then you can go over the salary cap as much as you want (Knicks and Mavs are prime examples of this).

I don't care much for the NBA's salary agreement because its ridiculous anyway. It doesn't make the league better or worse in terms of "money wins championships", because the teams with the most money don't win those championships, the teams with the best management do.

If the NBA decided to put a Hard cap in place to make the league a lot more balanced, I'd be all for it.

Kohaku
09-23-2008, 08:23 PM
I wouldn't want the lakers winning the championship every year. Get rid of the salary cap and you might as well change the NBA's name to WWE.

Hey! I watch WWE =.=.

JOSETHEALLSTAR
09-23-2008, 08:39 PM
nope

BRADfromOZ
09-23-2008, 08:42 PM
No. Without the Salary Cap the championship will always go to the team who's owner has the biggest bank balance.

RoyalG333
09-23-2008, 08:47 PM
is there a salary minimum?

Vidball
09-23-2008, 08:52 PM
Even though the cap is a "soft" cap, it still prevents the teams from signing big name FA's because almost every team is either over or too close to the cap to make competitive offers. I think the cap should be done away with IF an amnesty rule is set in place that makes the player contracts a bit less than fully-guaranteed (not to the extent of the NFL). IMO, the cap should be done away with, an amnesty clause should be included, and the luxury tax should be done away with. Teams should not be rewarded for not going after big name players and being under the cap. Players should not be awarded massive contracts because they had a great contract year then decided to shut it down for years to come.

Vidball
09-23-2008, 08:56 PM
No. Without the Salary Cap the championship will always go to the team who's owner has the biggest bank balance.

There isn't much of a difference in how championships are 'spread out' between the NBA and other sports...over the past 25 years or so only 7 teams have even won it all in the NBA. Thats a fewer amount of teams than MLB or the NHL during that same span.

njnets
09-23-2008, 09:14 PM
yes and no. yes because it is restriciting FA and making it really bad. other leagues like the NFL have great salary caps. maybe they should just expand it. idk. if there was NO salary cap, the yankees would take over, meaning big market teams like the knicks and lakers could outbid everyone just because they have more money, and that people, is not fair. for now, until a better resolution is found, keep the cap.

Pierzynski4Prez
09-23-2008, 09:23 PM
There isn't much of a difference in how championships are 'spread out' between the NBA and other sports...over the past 25 years or so only 7 teams have even won it all in the NBA. Thats a fewer amount of teams than MLB or the NHL during that same span.

Jordan

Vidball
09-23-2008, 09:32 PM
Jordan

That accounts for 6

cmellofan15
09-23-2008, 09:35 PM
Nope what are the poorer owners going to do???

Blue Tiger
09-23-2008, 09:36 PM
No because I'm sick of Ben Gordon bull$k1+ of wanting $13 million a year on his contract.

Lmfao. Excatly. I voted yes because then the Knicks would do incredible-Huge market in arguably the best city and state in the U.S and the coach that plays the least amount of defense and the most offense->every NBA player's dream. I think they should though make it more flexible. Like raise it to around 70.

:eyebrow:I figured a Knicks fan like you would say something like that since the Knicks are the second worse team in the Eastern Conference and New York is one of the ugliest city in the world.

Goon.Weezy
09-23-2008, 09:49 PM
HELL NAW....no salary cap means that player will be demanding ridiculous contracts....more ridiculous than the one's they get right now

#1Mavericksfan
09-23-2008, 09:53 PM
No! because small market teams wouldn't stand a chance of getting good players, at first I wanted the NBA to get rid of the cap but If they do then some of the best players are just gonna go to big markets like the Lakers, Knicks, Celtics, 76ers, Rockets, so I think they should keep the cap the way it is.

superkegger
09-23-2008, 10:32 PM
No, absolutely not. because big market teams like the LA's, chicago's, NY etc... could do what they do in baseball and just buy talent. except in basketball theres less talent and less chance, so the talent would congregate in the larger cities because they can pay money out the ***. and since 1 player can have so much more affect ont he game in basketball than any other pro sport, it would be a terrible idea to abolish the cap

Vidball
09-23-2008, 10:48 PM
No, absolutely not. because big market teams like the LA's, chicago's, NY etc... could do what they do in baseball and just buy talent. except in basketball theres less talent and less chance, so the talent would congregate in the larger cities because they can pay money out the ***. and since 1 player can have so much more affect ont he game in basketball than any other pro sport, it would be a terrible idea to abolish the cap

Baseball has had 7 different teams win championships in the last 8 seasons...Basketball has had 7 different teams win championships in the last 24 seasons. The lack of a salary cap does not tip the scale.

SAVAGE CLAW
09-23-2008, 11:02 PM
Yes PERIOD

and about the Poor teams would never have stars and win a championship..... How many Championships do Cavs, Grizzlies, Bobcats and Jazz have between all of them now? NONE.

and for the 4 or 5 teams would always dominate and win/contend every year. Argument.

well...... With the salary cap it looks like LAKERS 14 titles and in the finals every 2 years on average, Celtics 17 Titles , Bulls 6 titles and Spurs 4 titles..
How many titles for the whole rest of the league?.........Yeah Salary cap ensures a diferent champion every year ;)......

SAVAGE CLAW
09-23-2008, 11:03 PM
No! because small market teams wouldn't stand a chance of getting good players, at first I wanted the NBA to get rid of the cap but If they do then some of the best players are just gonna go to big markets like the Lakers, Knicks, Celtics, 76ers, Rockets, so I think they should keep the cap the way it is.

Guess where is Dirk going to be when his contract expires......