PDA

View Full Version : Thousands Turn Out for FANfest and Blues Unveil Third Jersey

redbird89
09-22-2008, 02:27 PM
Thousands Turn Out for FANfest and Blues Unveil Third Jersey
Chris Pinkert | St. Louis Blues Online Sep 21, 2008, 4:58 PM EDT

The second annual FANfest certainly lived up to its name.

Thousands of fans turned out Sunday for a day filled with a scrimmage game, autograph sessions, photo opportunities and more at Scottrade Center.

“(It was) a great turnout. (I’m) not surprised,” said Blues captain Eric Brewer. “We’ve always had a strong core of fans here and I think people are excited about hockey. I wouldn’t say it’s like fall weather out there yet, but it feels like hockey. I think people are pretty excited.”

The team unveiled it’s third jersey Sunday to kick off the event at noon, revealing one of the best kept Blues secrets in recent memory.

Fans turned out in droves, both to see the new uniform and to take in the Blue vs. Gold scrimmage, which featured an extended shootout as the finale. During the game, nearly the entire lower bowl was filled with fans ready to welcome a new season of hockey.

Darren Sims was glad he talked his dad into bringing him to the event.

“It was between this and a barbeque,” Darren said. “We made the right decision. I’ve been looking forward to it since last season.”

Season Ticket Holders got a chance to attend a private Q&A session with Blues President John Davidson and head coach Andy Murray. Kevin Dolansky, who has been a Blues Season Ticket Holder on two separate occasions, felt privileged to be able to ask Davidson a question about bringing an All-Star Game to St. Louis.

"It was great," he said. "I remember watching (JD) in his first couple of seasons in St. Louis. Coming and watching the scrimmage and doing this Q&A session...it's a great event and I hope they do it again."

"People really do enjoy the game and they enjoy the players. The effort they bring for us, we're very fortunate to be playing here," Brewer said.

"Management's been doing a great job all summer of keeping the Blues in everybody's mind," said Blues forward Lee Stempniak. "Obviously, the fans speak for themselves by coming out."

http://blues.nhl.com/team/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=382824
Blue vs. Gold Scrimmage at FANfest
1 2 SO Total
Blue Team 2 2 0 4
Gold Team 1 1 1 3

First Period
1. Blue Team - Roman Polak (Kariya) 7:41
2. Blue Team - David Backes (McClement) 8:33
3. Gold Team - Patrik Berglund (Foy) 22:47

Second Period
1. Blue Team - Keith Tkachuk (unassisted) 1:52
2. Blue Team - Jay McClement (Backes, Tkachuk) 17:33
3. Gold Team - Cam Paddock (unassisted) 18:46

http://cdn.nhl.com/blues/images/upload/2008/09/thirdjersey_boyes.jpg

Brad Boyes joked recently that he dresses well enough to be Alive Magazine’s “Stylist of the Year.”

While we won’t go that far, we will admit that Boyes looked sharp in the Blues’ new third jersey, which was revealed Sunday during the second annual FANfest event at Scottrade Center.

The jersey features navy blue as its base color behind a new logo incorporating the time-honored BlueNote and the Gateway Arch.

“I think it mixes both the past and the future, but at the same time, it’s not as if we’re messing with (a good thing) too much,” said Boyes, who modeled the jersey for a top-secret photo shoot earlier this weekend. “We’re leaning more on something different, but at the same time, we’re not changing the whole thing.”

The third jersey was designed by St. Louis-based Fleishman-Hillard, whose sports and creative services team worked closely with the Blues to develop a uniform that could appear modern in today’s NHL while also bearing a look that would make vintage collectors salivate. Fleishman-Hillard’s team has also designed jerseys worn by the club since the 1998-99 season.

“The logo, the back…it’s awesome,” Boyes said of the new third jersey. “It’s got a bit of a retro look with a feel of today’s style.”

http://cdn.nhl.com/blues/images/upload/2008/09/alternate_logo.jpg

"It's a good classic jersey for a good classic franchise," Eric Brewer said on ice after the unveiling.

The jersey features navy BlueNotes trimmed in gold on the shoulders along with bold white numbers on the back and sleeves. A white draw string rests at the base of the collar, adding to its vintage look. The team will have matching navy socks, gloves and helmets to compliment the new look.

The jersey will be available for sale Wednesday, Nov. 19, two days before the Blues play their first game in the new uniform Nov. 21 vs. Anaheim. Fans wanting to guarantee they receive a jersey on Nov. 19 can preorder them now by downloading the order form here at stlouisblues.com or by visiting the BlueNote Authentics team store at Scottrade Center. Fans who preorder a jersey will receive a free T-shirt featuring the new logo.

“(I like the) different pieces, the way it’s put together,” Boyes said. “The way everything comes together with the stripes, color and the yellow and the navy…I think it all works well.

“And I’m always proud to wear a Blues jersey.”

http://blues.nhl.com/team/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=382747