PDA

View Full Version : Starting Line Up!!

NBA-GMaster
09-22-2008, 05:43 AM
Predict our Starting line up for the 2008-09 season!!
Mine:
PG=AI
SG=JR
SF=MELO
PF=KMART
C=NENE

Wats yours Denver fans??

Kohaku
09-22-2008, 06:19 AM
That pretty much sums up mostly everyone's predictions lol.

F15Eagle
09-22-2008, 08:23 AM
NO !No!! No!!!

AC/Atkins
Iverson
Nene
KMart
Melo.

J.R. Sixth man.

DenButsu
09-22-2008, 08:42 AM
Yeah that's the dream. (<--- in reference to top post lineup, not ivyleague's)

I still have my doubts, though. Karl has time and again demonstrated his love for undersized and undertalented pgs, and his disdain for J.R. So until he proves otherwise, I'll be predicting this as our starting 5:

Chucky
AI
Melo
K-Mart
Nene

...with J.R. playing a Manu-esque "false bench player" type role.

But I hope Karl proves me wrong, I really do.

I hope the dedication to the team and his own game that J.R. has by all accounts been working his *** off this summer in the Pepsi Center and in Grgrich's camp to prove to the organization is sincere will pay off not only for J.R. (which has already happened to an extent in the form of a contract), but for the team as well. I hope Karl will give respect and credit where it's due, and reward J.R.'s efforts with a role in the starting lineup.

In what I consider to be the most important piece of news to come out about the re-signing of J.R., the Rocky Mountain News (Smith spent much of the summer working on his ball-handling and his on-the-ball defense, two areas that have been problematic during his four-year NBA career.) reported:

Smith spent much of the summer working on his ball-handling and his on-the-ball defense, two areas that have been problematic during his four-year NBA career.

In my opinion, GK just absolutely has to respect that. His two biggest gripes (which in poor form he constantly aired publicly) about J.R.'s game were that he was too turnover prone and too poor of a defender. Now look at Smith this summer, taking the bull by the horns and directly addressing those two areas of his game. Seriously, what more could a coach expect from his player than to work his tail off on the areas of his game he's said that player needs the most work in?

If Karl doesn't give J.R. the starting nod, I'll officially be pissed off. :mad:

And more to the point of the overall roster and starting lineup: AI is the primary ball handler whether he's playing alongside a point guard or not, so why not cut to the chase and just let him start off possessions with the ball in his hands in the first place? Playing a point guard of inferior talent to J.R. alongside AI is a redundancy that (Chucky) either hurts the starting lineup defensively or (AC) offensively. Atkins and AC can still be brought in off the bench for sparks in distribution/3-shooting and in point guard defense.

But J.R. should start, and he should get 30 minutes. We have enough off the bench from LK, Birdman, Andersen, Balkman, Chucky, AC, and (hopefully) Hunter.

Let J.R. start. It's not only the obvious thing to do, it's the RIGHT thing to do.

Joshtd1
09-22-2008, 05:41 PM
I expect yall's lineup to be..

Atkins
AI
Melo
K-mart
Nene

However, I find this dumb. Atkins is a shot happy/no defense type PG...I don't see why the Nuggets would do this. Might as well start AI, and have a natural sized SG in JR Smith starting.

Smith might not be the best on D, but it would still create A LOT less mismatches on the defensive end, then it would be with AI playing SG.

TheFuture6
09-22-2008, 05:47 PM
You only expect that cause I told you. :pity:

F15Eagle
09-22-2008, 06:05 PM
J.R. is well qualified to be a starter for the Nuggets, however, He plays better as a sixth man. He comes in shooting and dunking, and energizes the team. So expect the coach to start him sometimes and use him most of the time as a sixth man. He will be used offensively together with Iverson to support the aggressive defense of Balkman, Birdman, K-Mart, Melo (if on defensively) and others.

C-Dub
09-22-2008, 06:22 PM
Smith is decsent on D, he gets steals and aggrivates players all the time, idk y everyone says he sucks at d

AIMelo=KillaDUO
09-22-2008, 09:11 PM
JR won't start.

DenButsu
09-22-2008, 10:58 PM
Here's what I think about defense and J.R. Smith:

1. A lot of defense is about effort, and a lesser noticed aspect of his turnaround last season (in comparison to his offensive performance, which deservedly got the spotlight) was his sincere push towards giving it his all on the defensive end. He still made mistakes, but the intensity was there. That's important.

2. And as a result of those efforts, his defensive ability did in fact improve over the course of the season. Not, of course, to the point where he could do anything to stop Kobe in the playoffs. But hell, that's the tallest order in the NBA. It was dumb of J.R. to talk trash to Kobe, but the rap he got for being a "bad defender" vis a vis that series is really undeserved, because who doesn't Kobe make look bad? The more important overall point is that J.R. made progress with his defense last season, going from a horrid defender to a half-decent one.

3. And he's spent his entire summer in the gym working primarily on his defense and his ball handling. I'm absolutely positive he'll go into training camp as a sharper, smarter defender than he was when the season ended. He's a quick study when he puts his mind to it (look at how quickly he developed his inside game once he really keyed in on that in the 2nd half of the season), and I think the work he's done this summer will pay off not only in immediate improvement, but also in continued improvement over the course of the season as he gets the chance to synthesize the training he's done this summer with more real game experience.

One more point, albeit not specifically about his defense:

4. In the playoffs, J.R. was the best team player with the best attitude - and hell, a lot of the time just the best basketball player on the court - for the Nuggets. When everyone else's spirit was withering and they were looking defeated, he was still fired up and trying to get his teammates into the game. In that game 4 (http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=lakersnotuseless)... man, it was ultimately a losing effort, but I'd like somebody to show me another Nuggets game from the last two seasons in which any of the players played with that much heart, that much guts.

I don't know if George Karl is a big enough man to get over his (at times thinly veiled, at times open) personal dislike of J.R. and recognize the above 4 points. But he really should. J.R. has earned his rightful place in the starting lineup. And I think if Karl shows confidence in Smith by putting him there, he'll rise to the challenge and prove that it was the right thing to do.

Nugget Tony
09-23-2008, 04:15 PM
My Predictions....

PG: Anthony Carter This guy is unstopable....and deserves the starting nod....His game speaks for itself. That and plus the fact GK likes it when AC's nose tickles his sphincter.....Were in good hands here....
SG: Sonny Weems The best 2nd rd pick ever in the NBA draft...EVER!!!! Perdiction!!! he becomes the first NBA player to dunk from the 3pt line.....How can you bench that kind of athleticism......
SF: Renaldo Balkman Dude was a New York Knick...meaning he has been coached up all crazy like....Dude will just amaze people with his knowledge he recieved while in NYC....Thanks Isiah "Red Lobster" Thomas.....
PF: Chris Andersen This dude is the man....It's his all out hustle that will get him in the starting lineup...No wait.....It will be his ever changing Hair styles......No wait....It will be his awkward diception....No wait...it will be his Monster dunks......errrrr....No actually it will be something more like...he slipped some killer drugs into GK's candies....
C: Steven Hunter GK found out today we just signed a new Center...His name is Steven Hunter.....He is excited about this new signing...that plus AC suggested a Sphincter tickle......

The sad thing is.....this would have been our starting lineup just a few measley years ago......

Man Im not liking our depth......