PDA

View Full Version : NYR Preseason Hockey

redwhiteandblue
09-21-2008, 01:47 PM
Somewhere to discuss our 8 preseason games, maybe this could get pinned?

My main reason for starting this is to talk of the Ottawa game. I recorded it and didn't watch it all, but I was impressed with Del Zotto on the Power Play. Also Dubinsky looked good. Anyone else have any thoughts on teh game?

SLY WILLIAMS
09-21-2008, 03:22 PM
Both those players looked good. The team looked a bit unorganized to me though which is to be expected for so many new players.

CurseThis
09-23-2008, 12:09 AM
Dubinsky has been our best player thus far. You can put anyone on his wing right now and he'd still make something happen. Within a year or two he'll be our best center, without question. Guy does it all... sets up plays, scores, plays gritty, will drop the gloves, can play d, etc.

Naslund and Gomez are going to be great together. They already have chemistry and it was their first game together.

Zherdev is showing he's not the stereotypical Russian. He back-checked, fore-checked, went into the corners to battle for the puck and he even threw a couple checks. The fact he's already bought into Renney's system is a GREAT sign of things to come.

Del Zotto showed signs of promise, but he's still not there yet. Give him two more years and he'll be running our PP with ease.

Sanguinetti, however, has been uninspiring. He's playing too conservative and it's hurting his natural game. He needs at least a year in Hartford.

Kalinin was garbage. It's going to be a long season with him.

Surprisingly, Nedved was our best player on the ice tonight. He's going to make things difficult for the staff if he keeps it up. Betts better hope that they make him switch to LW if he does get signed, otherwise he's out of a job.

Those are the things that have stood out so far in the two games.

King Henrik
09-23-2008, 01:09 AM
im going to the game thursday vs lightening. pretty excited

dewbs has looked awesome so far

nyteamsports09
09-23-2008, 02:05 AM
i have season tix so i was there tonight i was impressed with the way Nedved played but in order for him to be signed he needs to stay like that BUT if he is on the same level as a younger guy they are taking the younger guy if he does stay he's a lock on the 4th line

also whos idea was it to sign Kalinin he looked awful he's malik all over again sure he will have 2 good games all season but other than that it's bad penalties and give aways :mad:

Voros set up well in front of the net

line 1 Zherdev-Gomez-Naslund looked very fast they have great chemistry already

the young guys really made no mistakes this game either and im 100% that we will be seeing Korpikowski,Anisimov,Parenteau,Fahey etc.

I'll be at the the rest of the games at home i cant wait to see how they turn out

Apophis
09-23-2008, 02:21 AM
Dubinsky has been our best player thus far. You can put anyone on his wing right now and he'd still make something happen. Within a year or two he'll be our best center, without question. Guy does it all... sets up plays, scores, plays gritty, will drop the gloves, can play d, etc.

Naslund and Gomez are going to be great together. They already have chemistry and it was their first game together.

Zherdev is showing he's not the stereotypical Russian. He back-checked, fore-checked, went into the corners to battle for the puck and he even threw a couple checks. The fact he's already bought into Renney's system is a GREAT sign of things to come.

Del Zotto showed signs of promise, but he's still not there yet. Give him two more years and he'll be running our PP with ease.

Sanguinetti, however, has been uninspiring. He's playing too conservative and it's hurting his natural game. He needs at least a year in Hartford.

Kalinin was garbage. It's going to be a long season with him.

Surprisingly, Nedved was our best player on the ice tonight. He's going to make things difficult for the staff if he keeps it up. Betts better hope that they make him switch to LW if he does get signed, otherwise he's out of a job.

Those are the things that have stood out so far in the two games.

I agree with your assessment of the game... and Dubinsky is definately the MAN in the center..

I am going to some games this season.. I am so excited...

redwhiteandblue
09-23-2008, 12:53 PM
Was just catching a little Rangers in 60 on MSG, and I saw the Ottawa goal. What the hell was Redden doing? He got burned worse then a filet mignon being grilled by a toddler.

Desert Plains
09-23-2008, 01:41 PM
I recorded last night game but haven't watched it yet. As for the first game, it was a little tough to get a good feel with all the power plays, but a few things from my view point:

1) I thought, as a team, they played well defensively. The Sens didn't get too many good scoring opportunities. They scored 3, but I'll discount the first a little since it was 6 on 5 while on a long delayed penalty (plus a great shot by Heatley).
2) Del Zotto looked pretty solid, though I don't think he has any chance to make the team.
3) Prucha looked good. He was involved and had chances. He seems to strive on playing time - if he's in the lineup and gets consistent ice time, I think he can contribute.
4) I liked the way Dawes played. He seems to see the ice well - can find space to get open and is a pretty good passer (better then I think credited).
5) Dubinsky looked great on his first goal. He took that one step inside the defensemen and was gone. It was only the first preseason game but he looked good. I'm wondering if he's going to shine this year out from under JJ's shadow. He seems to have the skills and definitely the desire.

SLY WILLIAMS
09-23-2008, 02:55 PM
I think Nedved looked very good and I dont know if thats something the Rangers actually want happening. The new russian really has good hands, creativity and pivots. I hope he becomes what Slats hoped for.

beckeramos
09-23-2008, 05:15 PM
Haven't had a chance to watch yet. Looking forward to the season though. Want to see how this team reacts without Jagr everyday.

CurseThis
09-23-2008, 06:57 PM
I recorded last night game but haven't watched it yet. As for the first game, it was a little tough to get a good feel with all the power plays, but a few things from my view point:

1) I thought, as a team, they played well defensively. The Sens didn't get too many good scoring opportunities. They scored 3, but I'll discount the first a little since it was 6 on 5 while on a long delayed penalty (plus a great shot by Heatley).
2) Del Zotto looked pretty solid, though I don't think he has any chance to make the team.
3) Prucha looked good. He was involved and had chances. He seems to strive on playing time - if he's in the lineup and gets consistent ice time, I think he can contribute.
4) I liked the way Dawes played. He seems to see the ice well - can find space to get open and is a pretty good passer (better then I think credited).
5) Dubinsky looked great on his first goal. He took that one step inside the defensemen and was gone. It was only the first preseason game but he looked good. I'm wondering if he's going to shine this year out from under JJ's shadow. He seems to have the skills and definitely the desire.

Dubinsky was producing without Jagr to begin with. In fact, as the season went on and Dubinsky started playing with Jagr more and more, his game seemed to dip off. He stopped driving to the net and deferred the puck to Jagr all of the time. I'm not saying that Jagr had a negative influence, as Jagr basically took him under his wing and taught him a lot about hockey, but Dubinsky is a better player when he's making things happen on his own instead of constantly deferring to Jagr.

CurseThis
09-23-2008, 07:03 PM
Haven't had a chance to watch yet. Looking forward to the season though. Want to see how this team reacts without Jagr everyday.

The team looks better as a whole. They're utilizing their speed a lot more and even the team defense seems improved. We'll be a much more exciting team to watch this year, since our offense is going to be based off of fast breaks. We'll really be able to take advantage of Redden and Rozsival's outlet passes, which is a large part of what they bring to the table skills wise.

They'd be downright frightening if they had someone with Leetch's speed and offensive creativity on the blueline. I guess we'll have to wait for Del Zotto to, since Sanguinetti is to busy playing a strictly conservative game, terrified of making a mistake.

Desert Plains
09-23-2008, 07:59 PM
Dubinsky was producing without Jagr to begin with. In fact, as the season went on and Dubinsky started playing with Jagr more and more, his game seemed to dip off. He stopped driving to the net and deferred the puck to Jagr all of the time. I'm not saying that Jagr had a negative influence, as Jagr basically took him under his wing and taught him a lot about hockey, but Dubinsky is a better player when he's making things happen on his own instead of constantly deferring to Jagr.

I agree Dubinsky produced last year. With and without Jagr. But some of his best play came with Jagr on his line.

I guess what I was trying to get across was that playing with JJ kind of altered his play, as it did to Rosi as well. I think with JJ gone, Dubinsky will play his type of game, and I think he could turn into a star now.

CurseThis
09-23-2008, 11:07 PM
I agree Dubinsky produced last year. With and without Jagr. But some of his best play came with Jagr on his line.

I guess what I was trying to get across was that playing with JJ kind of altered his play, as it did to Rosi as well. I think with JJ gone, Dubinsky will play his type of game, and I think he could turn into a star now.

You can tell things have changed for the better simply by looking at the way we've run the powerplay so far this preseason. Notice how we have at least one player in front of the net or moving to the front of the net the majority of the time? We've even used the Umbrella style, where you post two guys around each post of the net.

Joe was commenting on the fact that the powerplay should be much improved this year since Jagr won't be around to force Renney to run the powerplay through him anymore. Well, he was in the middle of saying it before The Nose cut him off mid-sentence to change the subject. Sam is becoming unbearable in the booth.