PDA

View Full Version : Single most important factor to making the playoffs?

Chronz
09-20-2008, 09:07 PM
IS IT

Kaman's continued progression?...

Barons health?

Thornton living up to his talent...

Camby living up to his rep...

Ricky Davis/EG and Cat holding up the 2 spot?....

Its a tricky subject because on one hand you may expect Baron to stay relatively healthy but feel even if he does you still feel your going to need a certain someone to exceed his teams expectations, in order to make the playoffs. Thats the guy Im talking about, separate the guys you expect to hold their own and the guy you really feel needs to do more, it doesnt reflect poorly on this player, just that you want even more from them so dont take it in a negative light.

ClipperNation14
09-20-2008, 09:41 PM
All-Around health and chemistry takes us directly to the playoffs.

The key to real success: Chris Kaman

Guys like Ricky, Baron and Camby (don't expect him to be a dominating force) are going to do their job. Thornton will continue improving, we just don't know how much yet.

kylem4711
09-20-2008, 10:06 PM
i think that the health of the players is the most important part. also chemistry

Chronz
09-20-2008, 10:19 PM
These guys are going to miss some time so its not reasonable to expect a full run of health but if you guys are talking about a relatively lucky run of health, then I think we're going to need more than that to make the playoffs. We need a lift from someone, Im hoping its Kaman but Im thinking it could be Thornton as well, possibly even Ricky Davis. Just depends on what your expecting from these 3.

29$JerZ
09-20-2008, 10:20 PM
Health will either break or make this team short and simple.

Chronz
09-20-2008, 10:22 PM
Health will either break or make this team short and simple.

YEA but you can say that about any team in the league

Cracka2HI!
09-20-2008, 10:30 PM
I agree with everyone that says it's health. All of our players are injury prone. However with our depth it is reasonable to think we will have a decent healthy roster all season long! Even if Baron we're to miss say 20 games, I think we could weather the storm. Jason Williams can still play 35 minutes a night for a 20 game stretch...as long as he is playing no more then 18 minutes every other night. So assuming we have good health their are any of 3 guys we would need to step up for us to be a playoff team...actually I'll make it 4.

It's pretty obvious who it would be; Kaman, Thornton, Gordon or Ricky Davis. Ricky is only on there because I think there is a chance he could blow up! If Kaman is better then last year and has a FG% over 50 we should be a playoff team. If Thornton becomes a 20 ppg scorer and lock down defender we should be a playoff team. If Eric Gordon is who myself and Big T think he is we will be a playoff team. I would say chances are pretty good atleast 1 of them will blow up. I'm hoping for 2 or 3!!

don'tfireNedCo
09-20-2008, 11:04 PM
the single most importand factor is to make sure donald sterling doesn't have a knee-jerk reaction and fire MDSr. if we have a slow start with/without a major injury.

otherwise, we have enough depth to overcome many adversaries.

BigT901
09-21-2008, 12:10 AM
I believe tha key willlll beeeeeeeee

Our style of play, depending on what type of offense we run will determine everything. I am hoping we play like the USA played, i personally dont think that a slow offense is good for our team, but a run and gun team also isnt good because of are bigs. So i really hope that we have a great defensive team, because we all know defense wins championships. We Definately have the Potential to be A really good 1, with two of the best shotblockers on the same team, Al who has the potential to be a lockdown defender, Mobley who has some of the quickest hands in the league, ANd Baron, who averaged a couple steals a game.

_Sn1P3r_
09-21-2008, 12:26 AM
Health and chemistry. They already got the talent.

BigT901
09-21-2008, 12:46 AM
If You look at most of are players they are used to running, such as B.D, Jason Williams, Marcus Camby, Eric Gordon, Big AL, Ricky Davis, Mike Taylor, and e.t.c.
If Dunleavy chooses to post up every play we wont reach our potential.

Chronz
09-21-2008, 04:17 PM
Yea the style of play will definitely have the biggest implications on our chemistry and as a result their play on the court. We have guys who can push the tempo, we have the athletic runners on the wings, the bigs to control the glass, we just need to be able to get the stops and we'll be out and running. But does that make us a fast paced team?

I dont think so, not if your extremely selective and are a defensive team. Im thinking we may actually follow Phillies approach to the game, last year they ranked 1st in FastBreak PTS but were among the slowest paced teams in the league. They had the athletic ability to do so, when they couldnt score they were methodical in their halfcourt sets similar to how we played alot last year. But unlike them we wont be such gamblers in the passing lanes, forcing bunches of turnovers (or will we?), and as a result wont score as much in transition but thats the kind of gameplan Im hoping for. Just a middle of the pack pace, efficient enough in the running game to get easy buckets, but disciplined enough in the halfcourt to make use of Kaman.

But it does bring up a curious point. What kind of offense do these players thrive in? Obviously Barons grown accustomed to playing Nelly ball but hes had some All-Star seasons under Paul Silas as well. And the year the he was traded midseason there wasnt a noticeable difference in his play in either parts.

Ricky just had the worst year of his career in JVG's sluggish offense, but I think that was mostly due to the lack of weapons around him and was a bad fit from the start. He was fine in Minnesota but faired slightly better in Boston where the pace was quicker.

Jason Williams won a title on a team that played at an average tempo and didnt suffer at all when they became strictly halfcourt, but plummeted to horrible depths last year in Miami, again I blame this on the lack of help around them and possible tanking. He did have his best years in Memphis but that was so long ago anyone wouldve played better in his prime.

Camby doesnt play offense so it doesnt matter to him, Im not sure how Kaman will fair but I always hear about how mobile he is for a bigman so he shouldnt suffer.

krazyclipperfan
09-21-2008, 04:21 PM
i say it heath and the progression of the younger players.

don'tfireNedCo
09-21-2008, 05:36 PM
If You look at most of are players they are used to running, such as B.D, Jason Williams, Marcus Camby, Eric Gordon, Big AL, Ricky Davis, Mike Taylor, and e.t.c.
If Dunleavy chooses to post up every play we wont reach our potential.

MDSr. isn't that dumb.

we posted up all the time because our strength was upfront with EB and CK, now with kaman as the lone lowpost, we must use him as a 'playaction' in football term.

baron also must be given the freedom to call his own plays and have some room to relax in practice. he is too injury prone to be going full contact in practice.

krazyclipperfan
09-21-2008, 05:47 PM
i think Dunleavy can play a running style offense. we started last season off running and they did pretty good but then they stopped and we start losing.

don'tfireNedCo
09-21-2008, 05:54 PM
well he would be a fool not to run this year.

last year it was hard to tun with cassel

baron-gordon-ricky-thornton-mobley-JWill-hart all run well.

in fact, we are going to be a bad half-court team, we'd better run

krazyclipperfan
09-21-2008, 05:56 PM
he did mention he has the fastest center in the NBA.

Chronz
09-21-2008, 06:25 PM
I think it'll come as a surprise to few of you, the Clippers were actually 12th in the league in pace rating, so they were among the top 12 fastest teams in the league. Of course this is relative to the league, this ranking simply shows there are more slow it down teams than there are fast breaking because on league average, Clippers pace rating was right below the norm. So we can definitely play much faster but Im not sure if the pace last year was a result of the injuries, did we run more when Kaman was out? I assume we would so does this mean running more would make Kaman less or more effective?

Chronz
09-21-2008, 06:27 PM
MDSr. isn't that dumb.

we posted up all the time because our strength was upfront with EB and CK, now with kaman as the lone lowpost, we must use him as a 'playaction' in football term.

baron also must be given the freedom to call his own plays and have some room to relax in practice. he is too injury prone to be going full contact in practice.

Dont forget Mobley, he posts up all the time.

don'tfireNedCo
09-22-2008, 02:40 AM
Dont forget Mobley, he posts up all the time.

i wonder if mobley would get 20+ minutes this season.

we are deep this year at SG, and now assuming young thornton will get most of SF minutes.

between Thornton-Ricky-Mobley-Gordon-Tim Thomas who may play some SF, as well as Novac at SF, even BD in the mix at SG while having two ball handlers on the court with JWill, Mobley will likely find his playing time lessen as season progresses, until near playoffs when dunleavy will try to find more time for proven vets.

Cracka2HI!
09-22-2008, 02:16 PM
I think it'll come as a surprise to few of you, the Clippers were actually 12th in the league in pace rating, so they were among the top 12 fastest teams in the league. Of course this is relative to the league, this ranking simply shows there are more slow it down teams than there are fast breaking because on league average, Clippers pace rating was right below the norm. So we can definitely play much faster but Im not sure if the pace last year was a result of the injuries, did we run more when Kaman was out? I assume we would so does this mean running more would make Kaman less or more effective?I think our pace last year has nothing to do with this year. We had Sammy for a TON of pull up jumpers and Corey has no restrictions on his game and wen't to hole in less then 10 seconds all the time. That and Kaman missed over 20 games are probably the main reasons we were 12th.

This season I would expect us to start out slow and try to establish Kaman. If he is going well I would expect us to play slow most the game. When we go to the bench I see us picking up the pace. Even with J-Wills running the point we are probably better as a running team with our bench players being Ricky, Gordon, Thomas and Skinner/Jordan. I think a lot of games Kaman may get lost in the shuffle if say 3 or 4 of guys are knocking down 3's. I can see us playing small to end a lot of games with Kaman on the bench.

Kaman is an athletic Center and may be able to play a fast pace but I don't think that he is best suited for it. I would also have to think he would be more likely to get injured playing that style.

krazyclipperfan
09-22-2008, 02:55 PM
^^i think the main reason he missed alot of games was due to the fact he played alot of mins. we didnt have anyone to replace him when he went to the bench and now we could afford to play that style and have him play the whole season.

Chronz
09-22-2008, 03:06 PM
Yea even Skinner took well to the PHX system, I hope we become a running/defensive team like the Nets of yesteryear.

kylem4711
09-22-2008, 05:27 PM
i hope so too. running teams are fun to watch

krazyclipperfan
09-22-2008, 05:42 PM
^^yeah and with the players we have this will be a hot team.

kylem4711
09-22-2008, 07:29 PM
hopefully. i have a feeling that players like ricky davis, mobley, thomas, will have monster games, but will also be very very streaky

krazyclipperfan
09-22-2008, 09:03 PM
we will have alot of vets so if one having a off night then he can sit and someone else can give it a go.

kylem4711
09-23-2008, 01:57 AM
just because they are vets though doesn't mean much when dealing with streaks. we have chemistry to worry about too

krazyclipperfan
09-23-2008, 12:26 PM
i dont think that a big problem most players on this team have been in the league for years so we should have a problem there everyone will play their role. i think all they want to do is win.

kylem4711
09-23-2008, 03:57 PM
i hope all they want is to win

krazyclipperfan
09-23-2008, 06:53 PM
Baron wants to win in his home town. R Davis wants to prove that he is no cancer and he can help a time win as opposed to being a individual player. J Will is a starter but he signed to be a back up and wants to end his career winning. Camby has something to prove because he felt he got traded for nothing like he was the reason Denver couldnt win and he will prove he is a winner. Skinner would have not come back if their wasnt a chace for him to win here.