PDA

View Full Version : When was the last time that the Knicks had a good draft or signed a superstar player?

Kiss Ma Grits
09-19-2008, 02:55 PM
The knicks haven't had a good draft since they drafted Patrick Ewing and the Nets haven't had a worth while draft in a while either.

At least the Nets have proven that they were able to lure free agents into town and trade for some ok pieces but what has the Knicks done in the last quarter of a century to show people that they'll be able to pull of the prized James, Wade, Bosh, or Stoudemire?

They're this big city with all these financial opportunities and benefits but they haven't been about to sign ANY big name agents and don't give me that "Oh they're going to come here because of Lebron or Wade or somebody else" because Lebron couldn't even lure Ray Allen or get this.......Micheal Redd from a bad Bucks franchise NOR was Ewing ever able to lure a sidekick.

Again, how is New York going to lure anyone???

Sixerlover
09-19-2008, 02:57 PM
They haven't had cap space in years, so they couldn't sign any FA's.

No draft hits is the fault of the scouts, and some GM's (SOME more than others) for trading away draft picks for immediate talent.

Kiss Ma Grits
09-19-2008, 03:02 PM
They haven't had cap space in years, so they couldn't sign any FA's.

No draft hits is the fault of the scouts, and some GM's (SOME more than others) for trading away draft picks for immediate talent.

Even when Ewing played they couldn't lure in a superstar to play along side him. Los Angeles has been able to lure big name players to there team and draft great players. What's the knicks problems and what's their excuse as of being unable to draft talent?

JMan17
09-19-2008, 03:09 PM
Even when Ewing played they couldn't lure in a superstar to play along side him.

Allen Houston and Latrell Sprewell want to have a word with you...

NYKnickFanatic
09-19-2008, 03:18 PM
Allen Houston and Latrell Sprewell want to have a word with you...

Eh, they werent SUPERSTARS, they were just ALL-STARS.

But they were awesome. :D

And for the last good draft they had, I would say Ewing.

Last good player signed...:cricket:

JordansBulls
09-19-2008, 03:23 PM
Ewing of course and Mark Jackson was the next guy.

Sports Illustrator
09-19-2008, 03:32 PM
Eh, they werent SUPERSTARS, they were just ALL-STARS.

But they were awesome. :D

And for the last good draft they had, I would say Ewing.

Last good player signed...:cricket:

That's how they got to the finals. Sometimes you don't need plenty of superstar players on a team in order to reach to the finals or win the championship.

Ewing of course and Mark Jackson was the next guy.

That sounds just about right. David Lee comes right after Mark Jackson though.

THE NATION
09-19-2008, 03:36 PM
LJ and Camby. They were still one of the best teams in the 90's. My top 5

1. Bulls
2. Rockets
3. Knicks
4. Pacers
5. Pacers

hdxstunts1
09-19-2008, 04:07 PM
Pat Eeing. Everything past him has been horrid!

rrude
09-19-2008, 04:10 PM
once upon a time there was an overrated player, with a nice but streaky jump shot and very little defense. But because he was outspokenly Christian and had an actors good looks, the NY Knicks signed him to $120 million contract. He was a good 'face' for the franchise.

but sadly, with so much money tied up in this one flawed player, the Knicks haven't been able to get a quality free agent since.

Ladies & gentlemen, the Allan Houston fiasco!

Lakersfan2483
09-19-2008, 04:24 PM
It's been a long time since the Knicks have had a good draft, but that is the fault of management. The Knicks need a true franchise player, someone like a Kobe, Lebron, or a D. Howard. They need to bring some winning back to MSG and need to build some excitement again.

Chronz
09-19-2008, 04:29 PM
Wasnt the media passing Allan Houston off as a star back then?

THE NATION
09-19-2008, 04:32 PM
They need to get back to their old style of play and how the team was built.
Im a laker fan, but I use to love watching the Knicks in the 90's. Starks use to get me pumped in the playoffs, I would go outsie and just shoot. The 90's was a great time for the NBA.

rrude
09-19-2008, 04:33 PM
Wasnt the media passing Allan Houston off as a star back then?

sort of, but not top-tier. It was an era of over-reaching for marketable stars because of MJ.

Everyone knew he was a flawed player with a sweet stroke. the contract was a huge overreach, and it wasn't even in response to a similar offer from another team. They just really liked his image and management made it a priority to keep him.

That's why Knicks fans hate (or should) the current owners so much. Too many decisions made for non-basketball reasons.

MOHA
09-19-2008, 04:45 PM
I miss The Knicks back then. They had Great Players like Walt Frazier, Earl The Pearl, Willis Reed, Bernard King and Patrick Ewing. I believe D-Wade or Lebron will be A Knick very soon.

Beno7500
09-19-2008, 05:34 PM
when they had sprewell