PDA

View Full Version : Wade to play for the Knicks in 2010?

rico
09-19-2008, 01:06 PM
heh hope not, but interesting read.

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/basketball/miami-heat/story/693079.html

By SARAH ROTHSCHILD
srothschild@MiamiHerald.com
Dwyane Wade says he's interested in working with New Knicks coach Mike D'Antoni, who worked with Wade as an assistant coach on the Olympic basketball team.
MARICE COHN BAND / MIAMI HERALD STAFF
Dwyane Wade says he's interested in working with New Knicks coach Mike D'Antoni, who worked with Wade as an assistant coach on the Olympic basketball team.

Miami Heat guard Dwyane Wade mentioned the New York Knicks as a possible destination when he hits free agency in summer 2010, and said he would be open to Miami pursuing point guard Stephon Marbury if he becomes available.

New Knicks coach Mike D'Antoni worked with Wade as an assistant coach on the Olympic basketball team, and the Heat star said he would be interested in playing for the offensive-minded coach.

''I mean, I love offense. Why wouldn't I? I love him,'' Wade told Newsday during a promotional tour in New York. ``When we're in practice, I love [Portland Trailblazers coach] Nate McMillan, but I want to be on Mike D'Antoni's team because Nate is preaching all defense and Mike is preaching all offense.''

Wade also cautioned not to judge Marbury. The rebuilding Knicks are expected to waive Marbury -- whose ego and attitude earned him the nickname ''Starbury'' -- in the coming weeks. Wade played on the 2004 Olympic team with Marbury.

''You can never judge a guy by what you've heard because if that was the case, then Shaq wouldn't have been the ideal teammate for me as well,'' Wade said. ``He came to Miami and everything I heard about him, none of it showed. You can't ever judge a guy by what he's done in his past or what you've heard about him.''

The most pressing issue for the Heat long-term will be building a team that appeases Wade to keep him after he becomes a free agent. The star-studded 2010 free-agent class is expected to include Chris Bosh and LeBron James, among others.

James also has been linked to New York because it would allow him to play in a big market, and he would have two options. The Nets are building a new arena and will be moving to Brooklyn and James' close friend and business mentor, Jay-Z, is part-owner of the team. The Knicks also are expected to target James.

''We know that 2010 is a big year,'' Wade said. ``I'm a part of that year, so I know it's a big year.

``The Knicks are not worried about me. They're worried about No. 23, and he's in Cleveland. I'm in a good market in Miami. He's not in a good market in Cleveland, marketing-wise, so it just makes sense that everyone wants to see one of the best players in one of the best markets.

``It's going to be a lot to decide for him. So I just get all the attention off me and throw it on him, so it's easy.''

bet new yorkers would be thrilled to have wade as a knick and lebron as a net in brooklyn tho. ;)

2010 or Bust
09-19-2008, 01:21 PM
I think the Knicks will look at James first then Wade and then Stoudemire. The Knicks are going to sign a big name in 2010 its just a matter of who.

Nighthawk
09-19-2008, 01:30 PM
Could happen

Knicks are not going to get Lebron. Lebron will be playing for the Nets.

Kiss Ma Grits
09-19-2008, 01:30 PM
No matter who goes to New York (both teams) they still aren't going to win anything and I hope that who ever goes there rather it's Lebron, Wade, Bosh or whoever else they break the bank to pursue blows a knee out. New York fans love to chump at the bit when it comes to fans' of other teams worst fears so I truly hope that who ever goes there blows a knee out AFTER they sign the contract:clap:

Kiss Ma Grits
09-19-2008, 01:38 PM
I hope every star of every sport is truly paying attention to just how miserable A-Rod truly is because HE plays on a big stage and it has done NOTHING for his career: Not a championship, No large amounts of commercials, no lucrative endorsement deals, NOTHING.

But you can find his divorce with his wife all over the news or his team mates dislike and grumbling of his play.

New York can make some people absolutely miserable. Lebron doesn't come from a very big city so he'll be in for a rude awakening ESSPECIALLY when he doesn't win anything there like VINCE CARTER who had a promising career UNTIL he headed to New York:smoking:

5thgencali
09-19-2008, 01:39 PM
Knicks are going to throw money at everyone.

xanderyear
09-19-2008, 01:39 PM
No matter who goes to New York (both teams) they still aren't going to win anything and I hope that who ever goes there rather it's Lebron, Wade, Bosh or whoever else they break the bank to pursue blows a knee out. New York fans love to chump at the bit when it comes to fans' of other teams worst fears so I truly hope that who ever goes there blows a knee out AFTER they sign the contract:clap:

Real mature there.

Anyway, it's possible. I don't see Lebron going there, but Wade is right, the spotlight is off of him and every other 2010 free agent. I feel sorry for the smaller name guys on the market that offseason, they'll get little attention with so many stars putting their names out.

JordansBulls
09-19-2008, 02:00 PM
For the Knicks they will have to rebuild by means of the NBA Draft IMO. They need a good prospect as the #1 pick. Greg Oden in 2007 would have been the best possible solution for them.

Kiss Ma Grits
09-19-2008, 02:12 PM
Real mature there.

Anyway, it's possible. I don't see Lebron going there, but Wade is right, the spotlight is off of him and every other 2010 free agent. I feel sorry for the smaller name guys on the market that offseason, they'll get little attention with so many stars putting their names out.

I know that who ever goes to New York would blow a knee out if not that then something bad is bound to happen there. Ever since Ewing Retired the Knicks have made a string of bad moves and have had a string of bad luck. From reggie miller to hiring Isiah Thomas, the knicks are a bad luck team. As far as the nets??? Well if they couldn't get Kidd, Jefferson, and Carter the physical presence that they needed down low then they won't be able to help Lebron either trust me...

JOSETHEALLSTAR
09-19-2008, 02:18 PM
well if they cant go after lebron then can go after wade now

Kiss Ma Grits
09-19-2008, 02:20 PM
For the Knicks they will have to rebuild by means of the NBA Draft IMO. They need a good prospect as the #1 pick. Greg Oden in 2007 would have been the best possible solution for them.

That's the thing, they passed on a point guard for another Tony Kukoc. Their front office is WAAAY worst then Clevelands. Here's a fact:

Before Mike Brown and Danny Ferry, Lebron wasn't able to get the team into the playoffs.

Since Mike Brown and Ferry, Lebron has gone to the finals (quicker then Jordan), gone to the Divisional series twice, has helped his team win 50 games 2 out of 3 seasons they've been there.

In that time the knicks traded for Stevie Franchise, hired Isiah Thomas, traded for the bad contract of Zach Randolph, and hired a coach who couldn't win with Shaq, Nash, Marion, Stoudamire, Grant Hill, and Joe Johnson.

No matter who goes to the knicks, they can't help them because their front office is in shambles.

JMan17
09-19-2008, 02:45 PM
will the knicks get Wade? Possible. Will they still suck? yes...

Sports Illustrator
09-19-2008, 02:54 PM
As of now, the Knicks are not ready to be looking at who they'll be taking in 2010. They need to worry about what's going to happen now and try to build the team to be ready for 2010 mentally speaking and as well as for salary cap reasons.

The Knicks (Donnie Walsh) never mentioned a name for 2010, but guys like Dwyane Wade, Lebron James, Chris Bosh and Amare Stoudemire will certainly be looked at if they have done what they needed to do in order to have the capacity to sign that big time player. I must say, things aren't looking good for now, but we still have two years left.

MiamiHeat
09-19-2008, 03:10 PM
He ain't going nowhere
people from newyork should just keep dreaming about having Lebron

da0213
09-19-2008, 03:25 PM
like VINCE CARTER who had a promising career UNTIL he headed to New York:smoking:

is that a joke?

carter proved that he was a chump way before he left toronto

Famous03
09-19-2008, 03:27 PM
Of course hes going to look at other options but as of right now, i dont think hes going to leave.

_Sn1P3r_
09-19-2008, 04:38 PM
I don't think Wade is leaving if the Heat can bounce back. They got a good young core and a pretty bright future.

Beno7500
09-19-2008, 05:32 PM
wade seems like the type of player that will go where ever the money is.

bogdanrom
09-19-2008, 05:48 PM
The thing is that almost every player looks like a nice guy and a loyal guy until the money is put in front of them. New York needs to change their team, and I don't know if just adding Wade, Amare or even Lebron will change that. It will bring in thousands if not millions of new fans and tickets.

IndyRealist
09-19-2008, 06:05 PM
wade seems like the type of player that will go where ever the money is.

Every player is the type of player that chases money. Except Tim Duncan. He signed for what, $10M per year? If anyone in the league is deserving of a max contract, he is. Every other player says the same thing, "I love my team, but the NBA is a business...blah blah blah" Brand was supposed to be one of those good guys, who would stick by his team. Now he's in a Philly uniform.

fishfan79
09-19-2008, 06:23 PM
``The Knicks are not worried about me. They're worried about No. 23, and he's in Cleveland. I'm in a good market in Miami. He's not in a good market in Cleveland, marketing-wise, so it just makes sense that everyone wants to see one of the best players in one of the best markets.

he wont be going anywhere he also said on the radio last week he wants to play his full career here, heck he picked the coach pretty much :)

mrblisterdundee
09-19-2008, 06:38 PM
I think the more likely possibility is that the Knicks will go for somebody like Amare Stoudemire or Chris Bosh. It's hard to believe, but they ultimately need the most help in the front court. LeBron can obviously help in every category, but affirming that need would prove that the chance taken on Danillo Gallinari was all for nothing, unless he is trade fodder.

barreleffact
09-19-2008, 06:54 PM
Real mature there.

i disagree. 2010 will help the little names the most. the big names will get their money from anyone. max deal no matter what. with so many teams prepping for the stars, most will have a ton of money to waste when they dont land anyone huge. a mediocre player will have a lot of bargaining room because teams can overpay him

o...and i dont see wade going to NY. no matter who the coach NY sucks. their management has shown no signs of being competent and the team is and will be horrible regardless. and even though he says he loves offense, he knows defense wing games and championships. not saying he will definately stay in miami, but i dont see him going to NY.