PDA

View Full Version : Can a Ball Dominating PG work with a Ball Dominating SG

THE NATION
09-19-2008, 11:45 AM
Would guys like Chris Paul, D will and Nash work well on a team with a guy like Kobe or Jordan?

CELTICS4LYFE
09-19-2008, 11:54 AM
i think nash or even kidd would

Sixerlover
09-19-2008, 11:56 AM
Paul + Wade made it work great in the olympics when they were the backcourt

THE NATION
09-19-2008, 11:56 AM
Yeah I think nash or Kidd can because they don't look to score that much. Can you guys think of a team that had a great player at SG and PG because most teams team up a big man with a PG or SG.

Lost Art
09-19-2008, 11:57 AM
No. I don't think there would be enough basketball to go around and still have each player be effective. Especially with two PG's. How effective would Nash be at playing without the basketball? Or CP3? Not very. Those guys base their games on probing, dribbling all over the court, and trying to find openings to make plays. Without the ball I don't think they would be much help on the court, especially Nash who's really a liability out their if he's not tearing it up on the offensive end of the court. And Kobe / Jordan don't really even dominate the ball. They both played in the triangle offense which focuses on moving the ball through the air and not pounding it into the floor. Both guys put up a lot of shots, that's for sure, but if you watch them play compared with other superstars..........you'd realize that they pound the ball into the floor MUCH less than other players (Lebron, Nash, Wade, CP3, Tmac, Arenas etc.).

THE NATION
09-19-2008, 11:58 AM
Paul + Wade made it work great in the olympics when they were the backcourt
Thats different. Everyone on that team was passing and everyone could score. Can it work in the NBA?

THE NATION
09-19-2008, 12:00 PM
No. And Kobe / Jordan don't really even dominate the ball. They both played in the triangle offense which focuses on moving the ball through the air and not pounding it into the floor. Both guys put up a lot of shots, that's for sure, but if you watch them play compared with other superstars..........you'd realize that they pound the ball into the floor MUCH less than other players (Lebron, Nash, Wade, CP3, Tmac, Arenas etc.).
Yeah, I meant dominate as far as the amount of shots and the amount of time the ball is in their hands.

THE_FLASH_21
09-19-2008, 12:01 PM
^^ I think it can... But only a few Pg's can make it work... Dwill/CP/Kidd/

I didn't put Nash or Paker cuz they're big time scorers.. Paul on the other hand is big scorer but I know he'd feed the SG all day...

But doesn't it already work in Detroit??? Billups and RIP ??

THE NATION
09-19-2008, 12:04 PM

I didn't put Nash or Paker cuz they're big time scorers.. Paul on the other hand is big scorer but I know he'd feed the SG all day...

But doesn't it already work in Detroit??? Billups and RIP ??Yeah but Billups is more like a guy to set up the O and wants guys like rip of Sheed to score, he's not a high assist guy.

JOSETHEALLSTAR
09-19-2008, 02:26 PM
yeah nash and kidd would work fine they are first pass point guards

Kiss Ma Grits
09-19-2008, 02:30 PM
ONLY if that PG has the ability to score without the ball. Nash and Paul could I think (even though Paul needs to work on his outside shot). Kidd? Absolutely not. His shooting doesn't do his team justice. Nash and Paul would make players like Jordan and Kobe dominate because they could create without the ball too. You're going to WITNESS something similar with Mo Will/Lebron

MiamiHeat
09-19-2008, 02:38 PM
Yeah just put a pass first PG (Nash or Kidd) with a good SG scorcer (Kobe or Jordan)

Isiah Thomas
09-19-2008, 02:53 PM
this is changing the question a little but lebron dominates the ball and doesnt really play off much unless he is taking a 3...

soo paul and lebron would never work unless they both are willing to change their games...

kobe doesnt dominate the ball... there is always ball movement either odom or the pg will have the ball until the half court were the triangle kicks in...

nash/ kidd could work with kobe and arenas

Sixerlover
09-19-2008, 02:55 PM
Thats different. Everyone on that team was passing and everyone could score. Can it work in the NBA?

I'd LOVE to have Paul + Wade on my team and have them try it out.

I mean obviously not all ball dominant PG's and SG's are on this level, but in any regular cases I would think that the ego of one of the players would have to drop for it to work. For example, Joe Johnson is a ball dominant SG, but once Bibby came over he lowered his need for having the ball in his hands to let Bibby control it. And they made the playoffs for the first time in forever.

So if someone like T-Mac's Rockets acquired Baron Davis, and T-Mac lowered the need to control the ball I think it could be sucessful.

Chronz
09-19-2008, 03:33 PM
Yes, so long as either one of the players has off the ball skills. It may even make the duo even more effective.

hdxstunts1
09-19-2008, 04:04 PM
Nash, Kidd, and Williams would because they can break down the offense and give it to the dominator Kobe, Jordon, Lebron for an open basket anywhere they want it.

Paul would be too much of a drive and kick guy and thats what Jordon and Kobe do. (it wouldnt add up).

Big Quett
09-19-2008, 04:08 PM
this is changing the question a little but lebron dominates the ball and doesnt really play off much unless he is taking a 3...

soo paul and lebron would never work unless they both are willing to change their games...

kobe doesnt dominate the ball... there is always ball movement either odom or the pg will have the ball until the half court were the triangle kicks in...

nash/ kidd could work with kobe and arenas

LeBron dominates the ball because he has to. He has to set up his teammates. Who on his team in the last few years could score consistently by themselves. If he had a set up pg he could be more of a finisher than a set up guy

Beno7500
09-19-2008, 05:31 PM
yes. they would have crazy assist numbers

JIDsanity
09-19-2008, 05:49 PM
Umm?? I'll say yes, but I get what your trying to say. It has to be a pg like Steph, or someone who just scores with Kobe. No that won't work. Jordan could possibly play with anyone

bogdanrom
09-19-2008, 05:52 PM
Yeah because all these guys also distribute the ball very well. Nash especially.

Hawkeye15
09-19-2008, 06:40 PM
It's a loaded question. The players who dominate the ball almost always do so because they have to for their team to succeed. If Nash played with Kobe, neither would need to dominate the ball.

mrblisterdundee
09-19-2008, 06:57 PM
I think they would work great together. The point guard moves the ball up the court, and then passes out to the shooting guard, who puts it through the basket. The shooting guard would still distribute a little, but would be able to focus mainly on scoring. The rest of the team would only have to worry about scoring and defense. That's what a good back court can do.

Cavs_Fan24
09-19-2008, 07:11 PM
i think it could work pretty well

NYMetros
09-19-2008, 07:15 PM
I think so. They know that they will need to sacrifise personal achievements in order to win, so they could be an amazing duo if given the opportunity. When teams double team one of them, just give the other the ball. Pretty simple formula.

barreleffact
09-19-2008, 07:16 PM
no. nash needs the ball to be effective. cp3 too. players like iverson and kobe do not. therefore they cant be chosen here. cp3 and nash would be a horrible backcourt. neither are slashers, neither would be open to shoot, so what could they do for each other?

dre1990
09-19-2008, 07:36 PM
what kind of thread is this, of corse

BoltLakerPadre
09-19-2008, 07:41 PM
If the PG is a pass first kind of guy it could work. An AI type of PG probably wouldn't work with a Kobe, Jordan, or LeBron, but that's just cause there aren't enough balls to go around.

But with that said, I want AI on the Lakers, playing for the vertern minimum, going for a title.

barreleffact
09-19-2008, 08:08 PM
If the PG is a pass first kind of guy it could work. An AI type of PG probably wouldn't work with a Kobe, Jordan, or LeBron, but that's just cause there aren't enough balls to go around.

But with that said, I want AI on the Lakers, playing for the vertern minimum, going for a title.

i know you said an AI type, but as far as AI himself, heI doesnt need the ball to be effective. he has a shot, can get himself open, and has a slashing game. he and kobe could do well. i dont see why you wouldnt think they would play well together when he and melo both get their share of attempts. i would love to see them playing together also, but i doubt it would happen

njnets
09-19-2008, 08:43 PM
yes, if the SG has a good attitude. don't jump on me laker fans but kobe would not work with this. he needs and wants the ball more than anyone. but jordan i could see doing this.

LakerzDQ
09-20-2008, 07:53 AM

But doesn't it already work in Detroit??? Billups and RIP ??

Rip hamilton is one of the best (if not the best) SG's at playing without the ball. he doesn't need the ball to help his team. so that doesn't count.