PDA

View Full Version : Tim Duncan

RoyalG333
09-18-2008, 12:57 PM
Duncan is by far one of the most underrated or under respected players in the NBA. But he definitely is a Star in this league and has Hall of Fame potential. I wanted to ask PSD posters what their thoughts were on TD.

Would Timmay be as effective on another team? If he stepped into a team like Minnesota, New Jersey, Charlotte, could he take them to the NBA finals? Or is Timmay a product of Popovich's system? Would he have been as successful without the guidance of The Admiral when he first came into the league?

I think Tim Duncan is a fine player. Great defender, great clutch player, 7 footer, and certainly ticks other people off with his soft spoken humble antics. But I honestly think the success of Tim Duncan is based on his team. If he was not on the Spurs, I don't think he has as many rings as he does. I think with the help of The Admiral, Ginobili, Parker, Bowen, and with the guidance of Pop, Duncan had the opportunity to excel and win. That being said, if he ever became available in the next couple years I would still consider putting him on my squad. I know he's over the 30 hump, but he can be a mentor, leader, and the experienced veteran that every team needs. Imagine putting Duncan in Denver next to AI and Melo! Imagine putting Duncan alongside Lebron in Cleveland! Imagine putting Duncan in NO next to CP3! Imagine putting his experience in the Blazers line up. Thoughts?

JordansBulls
09-18-2008, 01:00 PM
Duncan is by far one of the most underrated or under respected players in the NBA. But he definitely is a Star in this league and has Hall of Fame potential. I wanted to ask PSD posters what their thoughts were on TD.

Would Timmay be as effective on another team? If he stepped into a team like Minnesota, New Jersey, Charlotte, could he take them to the NBA finals? Or is Timmay a product of Popovich's system? Would he have been as successful without the guidance of The Admiral when he first came into the league?

I think Tim Duncan is a fine player. Great defender, great clutch player, 7 footer, and certainly ticks other people off with his soft spoken humble antics. But I honestly think the success of Tim Duncan is based on his team. If he was not on the Spurs, I don't think he has as many rings as he does. I think with the help of The Admiral, Ginobili, Parker, Bowen, and with the guidance of Pop, Duncan had the opportunity to excel and win. That being said, if he ever became available in the next couple years I would still consider putting him on my squad. I know he's over the 30 hump, but he can be a mentor, leader, and the experienced veteran that every team needs. Imagine putting Duncan in Denver next to AI and Melo! Imagine putting Duncan alongside Lebron in Cleveland! Imagine putting Duncan in NO next to CP3! Imagine putting his experience in the Blazers line up. Thoughts?

Duncan is responsible for turning Tony Parker and Manu Giniboli into stars. Those guys were not highly sought after. Parker was a late first round pick and Manu was like the 57th pick in the draft. Duncan's presence makes things easier for others.

RoyalG333
09-18-2008, 01:04 PM
Duncan is responsible for turning Tony Parker and Manu Giniboli into stars. Those guys were not highly sought after. Parker was a late first round pick and Manu was like the 57th pick in the draft. Duncan's presence makes things easier for others.

I agree 100%. So do you agree that if you put Duncan smack in the middle of the Blazers current line up, the Blazers could win a championship or two...or three.

BigEric
09-18-2008, 01:09 PM
People can say Kobe and Shaq were the best players of time era, but it was Duncan. No question Shaq is most dominant, but Duncan's been most consistant in this league.

Sixerlover
09-18-2008, 01:13 PM
I agree 100%. So do you agree that if you put Duncan smack in the middle of the Blazers current line up, the Blazers could win a championship or two...or three.

or 5?

Dol-Fan
09-18-2008, 01:38 PM
People can say Kobe and Shaq were the best players of time era, but it was Duncan. No question Shaq is most dominant, but Duncan's been most consistant in this league.

Agreed.

Duncan is the most polished player to play in his generation. People say he's boring but I personally love watching him play, just because he is so technically sound. It is so clear that he works on his game very, very hard.

He is the best PF of all time, IMO.

Dirk4theW1n
09-18-2008, 02:48 PM
people say he is boring because he does not dunk or windmill on people. In this era if you dont have a exciting highlight reel you get no respect, Yet he has multiple finals mvps and is considered at least in my eyes the best PF of the decade

MoBASS
09-18-2008, 02:50 PM
There's really no doubt he's the best PF of all time.

IndyRealist
09-18-2008, 03:22 PM
He's not underrated, he is regularly referred to as the best PF to ever play. How many 7fters hit the 18ft jumper off the glass? He is, however, boring to watch. I'd seen Spurs games where I couldn't recall more than two of his shots, and yet he had 30 points. He's missed 44 games in 11 years, and 15 games in 9 (He had two relatively injured years of 68 and 66 games). He's a machine.

Yes, David Robinson taught him, but that is part of who he is as a player, you can't really argue that one away. Tim made Parker and Ginobli stars, not the other way around. He makes his teammates better, which is hard to do from the PF position. Any pro-level team with Tim Duncan on it is a contender, and I'd take him over any PF/C in the league. Easily.

Lone Maverick
09-18-2008, 03:24 PM
Best PF of all time without a doubt. The whole "boring" thing to me is garbage, because he is one of my favorites to watch. No matter how flashy he may not be, he just keeps winning, and putting up big numbers. Nothing else you can ask of the guy.

Lakersfan2483
09-18-2008, 03:46 PM
Although I am a huge Laker fan, Duncan is one of my favorite players to watch. He's a great player, good leader, he's extremely smart when he plays. I think he would be successful on any team. In terms of winning a title, it's been proven, if you surround him with the right group, he will win titles as the Main Player. The key for Duncan, he brings a winning attitude to a team and guys like to play with him. He has made Parker, Ginobli and Bowen better players.

LAKERS 24/7
09-18-2008, 04:04 PM
Agreed.

Duncan is the most polished player to play in his generation. People say he's boring but I personally love watching him play, just because he is so technically sound. It is so clear that he works on his game very, very hard.

He is the best PF of all time, IMO.

I think you mean fundamentally sound :)

Andrew Bogus
09-18-2008, 04:15 PM
i hate him for being your textbook baller but, hey, he wins rings so you have to be impressed with that. i think no matter where you put him (maybe make new york an exception) he'd win a ring or two. oh, that's been mentioned already...

Joshtd1
09-18-2008, 05:21 PM

Bayless/Roy/Outlaw/Duncan/Oden..

Wow, that would be amazing.

I am so glad he is on the Spurs, because Im sure if he was on another team, I would hate him for winning so much.

Beno7500
09-18-2008, 05:39 PM
he would make an impact wherever he went

JOSETHEALLSTAR
09-18-2008, 06:28 PM
Duncan is a great player

kobe24>jordan23
09-18-2008, 06:52 PM
malone greatest power forward of all time.

BillyHoyle35
09-18-2008, 06:53 PM
Duncan is one of the very very best. He stayed in college which is rare for such a talent, and probably made him more ready for the nba.
He is not boring, he has the best post game going around, and plays basketball how it should be played.

Hawkeye15
09-18-2008, 07:04 PM
Duncan is not overrated at all. He is widely considered the greatest power forward ever. He has been the most consistent player over the past 10 seasons. His game doesn't make ESPN, and he doesn't get arrested for shooting guns into the air, so some think he isn't covered by the media enough. Anyone who understand basketball at all knows what TD is. I am not a big fan of his at all, KG fan here, but I have to respect his game

bogdanrom
09-18-2008, 07:23 PM
Tim Duncan does not have Hall of Fame potential. He is a HOFer. It shoudn't even be a question. Probably the best player in this era(post Jordan). I don't care if he is boring, he has 4 titles. One of the most fundamental sound players, and the best PF ever.

BoltLakerPadre
09-18-2008, 07:30 PM
You made a lot of good points, but I don't think you can call him underrated anymore. Probably not for the last four+ years, cause he's been widely regarded as the best PF ever, even though I can think of a few that I might still place above him on that list.

Highlight
09-18-2008, 07:53 PM
There's really no doubt he's the best PF of all time.

I don't know if you can say that with ANY doubt. Even though I hate Karl Malone, the guy was one hell of a player. His #s are the best of any PF ever to play. I was just looking at his stats and I was in awe at how amazing they look.

People put Duncan over Malone because of rings and rings only. Sucks Malone ran into the GOAT.

With all that said, I still think Duncan is one hell of a player and will continue to be dominant because he doesn't rely on his athleticism like most of the PF's of today. He's arguably the best PF to ever play, but I just don't think it's as obvious as some make it seem. One hell of a player...

Here's Malone's stats by the way: http://www.nba.com/playerfile/karl_malone/index.html

^ Pretty ridiculous

#1Mavericksfan
09-18-2008, 07:57 PM
Duncan is a great player/leader plus he makes everybody around him better, he might be the best PF ever.

IversonIsKrazy
09-18-2008, 08:01 PM
if u put him on 1 of the crappiest teams rite now, but with his prime skills, they would b a championship contender.

THunder:
PG: Watson
SG: Durrant
SF: Jeff
PF: Wilcox
C: Duncan

Knicks:
PG: Starbury
SG: Nate
SF: Jamal
PF: Duncan
C: Curry

Duncan is one-of-the most boring players, but i gotta admit, the best PF of ALL-TIME! a lot of ppl like to blame his success on ginobili, parker, robinson, pop etc etc... but HE is the one who made parker + ginobili stars. As i recall, when he was drafted, spurs were the worst team. three years l8r, a championship. He is respectively, the best player since MJ. Yes i did say that, mark my words.

DreamShaker
09-18-2008, 08:10 PM
Duncan is one of the few players in NBA history that knew exactly what to do in order to win a game....not just any game....but the big, big game....at a consistent level.....MJ, Bird, Russell, Magic, Bird, Hakeem.....he's one of those types....just knows how to win....does everything right at just the right moment.....

Joshtd1
09-18-2008, 08:24 PM
I don't know if you can say that with ANY doubt. Even though I hate Karl Malone, the guy was one hell of a player. His #s are the best of any PF ever to play. I was just looking at his stats and I was in awe at how amazing they look.

People put Duncan over Malone because of rings and rings only. Sucks Malone ran into the GOAT.

With all that said, I still think Duncan is one hell of a player and will continue to be dominant because he doesn't rely on his athleticism like most of the PF's of today. He's arguably the best PF to ever play, but I just don't think it's as obvious as some make it seem. One hell of a player...

Here's Malone's stats by the way: http://www.nba.com/playerfile/karl_malone/index.html

^ Pretty ridiculous

Winning does mean a whole lot though. By the way, you dont think Malone playing with arguably the 2nd best PG in the NBA ever in Stockton helped him out a whole lot?

Not to mention when it comes to playoff time, TD's #'s are better then Malone's in pretty much everything except PPG and SPG.

BADizzleBoY
09-18-2008, 08:27 PM
i easily think he is the definition of a basketball player

smart, great leader, team player, and is very skilled

easily the best power forward of my era, he is probably my idol

BRADfromOZ
09-18-2008, 08:32 PM
Duncan is by far one of the most underrated or under respected players in the NBA.
Huh? Will you next say that Jordan was an ok sort of player? Duncan IS one of the best PF's ever, period. He'll make the Hall of Fame in his first year of eligibility without a problem.

amare#1
09-18-2008, 08:35 PM
Amazing player. Biggest big man of his generation IMO. I think he would have succeeded in any system because of his amazing basketball IQ. As everyone is pointing out, he has made both Parker and Ginobili into stars also. Being a Phoenix fan I naturally hate him, but I've got so much respect for Timmy D.

Kings Faithful
09-18-2008, 08:46 PM
I have to agree that Karl Malone is better than Duncan...Karl Malone just brought an intensity to the game that Duncan doesn't. That and Karl Malone actually has the ability to smile....lol

ShaunRiching9
09-18-2008, 08:50 PM
he is probably the best power forward of all time

barreleffact
09-18-2008, 09:27 PM
I wouldnt really like him with the hornets or with a few teams. He and lebron would make a great tandem, but any run and gun style team would be a mistake IMO. he is a great talent and perhaps the best PF ever. he has never relied on his athleticism so his game should be solid till he retires

DreamShaker
09-18-2008, 09:32 PM
I have to agree that Karl Malone is better than Duncan...Karl Malone just brought an intensity to the game that Duncan doesn't. That and Karl Malone actually has the ability to smile....lol

Have you seen Duncan in crunch time??

RoyalG333
09-18-2008, 09:35 PM
Have you seen Duncan in crunch time??

lemme add to that....how many rings does Malone have? How many does TD have?

BRADfromOZ
09-18-2008, 09:46 PM
malone greatest power forward of all time.
I have to agree with you at this instant in time. Only because Malone played for 19 seasons and was amazing. At the moment Duncan only has 11 seasons under his belt. IMO if Duncan can play at the same level of excellence as he always has for another 5 or 6 seasons i'll gladly call him The Greatest Power Forward Ever instead on One of The Greatest.