PDA

View Full Version : Nuggets duo of Melo and Iverson, did you expect them to be better than they have been

JordansBulls
09-18-2008, 12:14 PM
Nuggets duo of Melo and Iverson, did you expect them to be better than they have been?

It's not like they have been bad or anything. In fact the numbers and shooting percent have been pretty solid.

Melo has averaged: 26 PPG / 7 RPG / 3 APG on 49% FG
Iverson has averaged: 26 PPG / 3 RPG / 7 APG / 2 SPG on 46% FG

My question is: Did you expect the duo of Melo and Iverson to have more success?

Do they seem to compliment one another well?

Highlight
09-18-2008, 12:26 PM
I expected the Nuggets to do better than they have. It's sad to see them get shipped out after the first round over and over. On paper they had one hell of a team. They just could never put it together on the defensive end.

The only one thing they never had was a point guard, but regardless they should have fared much better...

Philapsychosis
09-18-2008, 12:27 PM
I definitely thought something better would come from that lineup. Watching AI on the sixers for all those years, I thought maybe a guy like Melo is what he needed. Another 25-30PPG star to take the weight off of him. Well, that hasn't really worked out either. Something doesn't click on that team though, no chemistry. On paper, every year, the nuggets look stacked. Maybe AI is just doomed to be the next great player who will never have a ring.

$ NyC $
09-18-2008, 12:29 PM
I honestly thought Denver would get very far. They've been stacked with talent but just don't seem to be able to put it together. If they played better team D, which i think they def. could have done, they probably would have gotten further.

When you look at their stats they just switched the assists and rebounds around so you would think they complimented each other nicely. I don't think they were/are the best duo but i think they are OK with each other.

RoyalG333
09-18-2008, 12:33 PM
Yes and no. IT was apparent that DEnver can score with the best of them. But scoring alone doesnt win games. You have to try to stop the other team from scoring. Its called defense. I think if you put AI at pg, Melo at sf, and got a defensive minded sg, pf, and center, they would have a chance. A line up like this one would be good for Denver.

AI
Raja Bell
Melo
K-Mart
Dalembert

You would have a crazy threat in scoring with AI and Melo, while you have defensive with Bell and Martin, both who also have the ability to score, and a big man under the basket in Dalembert. This is fantasy, but a line up like this one for Denver would serve them better than what they have now. It's also somewhat realistic.

For a team who needs defense, I think its absurd to give up Camby for what they did.

MoBASS
09-18-2008, 12:45 PM
Yes, but unfortunately they don't play defense.

Defense is all about desire to play D, sacrificing yourself for your team, and a respect for your coach.

AI and Melo have none of these attributes.

Sixerlover
09-18-2008, 01:15 PM
I never thought that they would win a championship. What I thought was that they would make it to the WCF or at least the 2nd round. I think it's time to stop this trial, it failed.

theimortalone
09-18-2008, 01:16 PM
I thought that a duo of Melo and AI could at least make it to the WCF. But that experiment went down the drain quickly!

Vidball
09-18-2008, 01:33 PM
I never thought that they would win a championship. What I thought was that they would make it to the WCF or at least the 2nd round. I think it's time to stop this trial, it failed.

Ditto...I think this will be AI's last season as a Nugget.

Chronz
09-18-2008, 03:10 PM
They never really had their frontcourt players healthy and available but even if they did I couldnt envision them doing much more than they did.

Lone Maverick
09-18-2008, 03:16 PM
I assumed they'd at least make it out of the 1st round. Not going to happen until they get a defensive mentality. AI should be traded after this season is over, maybe before the deadline.

madiaz3
09-18-2008, 03:17 PM
This topic has been made to death, by you of all people JB lol.

The answer never changes, meshed well still not enough D, etc.

23LBJCleBrowns
09-18-2008, 03:35 PM
i was expecting a championship out of them once i heard the trade

rrude
09-18-2008, 03:57 PM
Just not convinced Carmelo is an all-around player. People joke about this with other players, but he does remind me of a skinnier Glenn Robinson.

I think the problem with both is they don't have real NBA positions. AI is a small 2, and Carmelo a big 3. I mean, Carmelo is just not big enough to guard a real 4, even if he tried harder on D. At least AI is quick and can cover a smaller guard. But Carmelo really puts the team in a bind on D.

_Sn1P3r_
09-18-2008, 04:07 PM
Yeah I thought they would be better than how they ended up. Expected like a top 5 team.

oshea225
09-18-2008, 04:12 PM
ai and melo individually have done very well, but i felt that the nuggest as a team would be far greater than what theyve shown. before last season began (and probably before the boston trio came together), if someone asked me who would win it all, my answer would have definitely been denver. not so much anymore lol.

Beno7500
09-18-2008, 05:41 PM
i expected them to do worse actually

cmellofan15
09-18-2008, 05:51 PM
52-10-10 is great but the other players don't get much shine b/c of Coach Karl

JOSETHEALLSTAR
09-18-2008, 06:22 PM
i don't think they work well as duo , i can see one of them getting traded because with that roster they are going nowhere.

Hawkeye15
09-18-2008, 07:13 PM
Those two will get their numbers, but Denver will miss the playoffs this season. Martin is a shell of his former self, and Nene is not the answer, they had to get rid of someone with a big contract and nobody would take Nene or Martin. Their starting lineup makes around $65 million a year. That is a joke.