PDA

View Full Version : NBA Mock Offseason Playoffs: Utah vs San Antonio - VOTE!

BlondeBomber41
09-18-2008, 08:32 AM
Utah has Homecourt Advantage

Utah Jazz Lineup:

C- Mehmet Okur - Paul Millsap
PF - Carlos Boozer - Drew Gooden
SF - Ron Artest - Ronnie Brewer
SG - Mike Dunleavy - Kyle Korver
PG - Deron Williams - Chucky Atkins

San Antonio Spurs Lineup:

C: Nene - Frabicio Oberto - Dikembe Mutombo
PF: Tim Duncan - Francisco Elson - Omer Asik
SF: Bruce Bowen - Nicholas Batum - Damjan Rudez
SG: Manu Ginobili - Thabo Sefolosha - Gordan Giricek
PG: Tony Parker - Jose Barea - Goran Dragic

Utah Jazz Series Writeup:

The Spurs are good, but they are not better than the Jazz. It is a pretty close matchup, but the Jazz have the better players all together. The bench is a huge key as well.

Deron Williams vs Tony Parker
They are both great PGs, but Deron is the better player, and he was way more potential than Parker at this rate. Deron is a MUCH better shooter and dishes out the ball with more frequency. What makes Parker beat most PGs is his insane quickness, but he's got the young Deron on him here, who will never get tired!

Mike Dunleavy vs Manu Ginobili
Dunleavy is a shooter, and the only way you can defend that is by just putting a hand on his face. If Dunleavy is left open, he is going to make the shot, for sure. Dunleavy has 3 inches over Manu, so this is going to help him BIG TIME since he's a pure shooter.

Ron Artest vs Bruce Bowen
Two top defenders matching up here. Clearly though, Artest is a much better offensive player. Bowen won't score at all, while Artest will put up a good deal of points. There's not much else to say here. Defensively, they are equal, offensively, Artest is much better, Artest wins.

Carlos Boozer vs Tim Duncan
So, Tim Duncan is the better player but by how much?? Not very much. Boozer averaged 21/10 last season while Duncan averaged 19/11. Duncan is clearly the better defender, but Boozer knows what he's doing. He's not a scrubby PF trying to see if he's lucky to score on Duncan, he actually knows what he's doing. Duncan is 2 inches taller but Boozer is a few pounds heavier is it's not a mismatch. Boozer is proven, and he will impress.

Mehmet Okur vs Nene
Okur clearly takes this one. Nene is unproven and he's nothing special. Okur can shoot from outside and Nene is going to have a tough time defending that. Okur will be able to hit that outside shot all day, Nene is not a real defender. Nene won't score much either with Duncan down there. Nene is just there to fill the C position, but he's not going to score or defend.

The Jazz bench crush the Spurs bench. -Mutumbo is old, he's more of a third stringer, he can't play much and he's backing up Nene? yikes
-Elson?? This dude is just a body, he's not going to do anything. He's another 3rd string player.
-Batum is a noob.
-Thabo is okay but he's inexperienced, another noob
-Barea is another noob

what's going on?

-The Jazz have 10+ PPG shooter in Chucky Atkins.
-Lights out shooter in Korver, capable of starting.
-Tremendous talent in the young Ronnie Brewer beinh Artest.
-a good STARTER in Drew Gooden
-tremendous yong playe Paul Millsap, he's a beast already

So the only real true advantage the Spurs have in this matchup is Ginobili's quickness on offense vs Dunleavy, but note that Ginobili is going to have a hard time defending Dunleavy, so it's not even a huge advantage for the Spurs matchup wise.

The Jazz take this easily.

San Antonio Spurs Series Writeup:

Center:
Okur is a good shooter to spread the floor but Nene is a very good man-man defender and would not have any problems guarding him. On the other end, Nene is a good scorer in front of the basket and will definitely take advantage of the soft defense Okur brings.

Power Forward:
Duncan is the best PF in the game and will be able to take Boozer easily on both ends of the floor. Boozer has a fairly weak defensive game and Duncan will capitalize against that liability. On the other end Duncan is one of the best defenders and will definitely limit Boozer.

Small Forward:
Artest will probably shut down Bowen but we do not need Bowen to score much here except knocking down some open shots. On the other end Bowen will also shut down Artest and hold him down well below his average.

Shooting Guard:
Dunleavy is a solid offensive SG but Manu can do all the things Dunleavy does on offense except he does it all better. Then you have to factor in defense, which is a liability of Dunleavy where as Manu is a top notch defender. Dunleavy also struggles against the Spurs defense seeing that he averaged 13.5 PPG against them this season. Manu takes this match up on both ends of the floor.

Point Guard:
This is going to be a great match up seeing two young top 5 PGs going at it. Deron is the better passer and play maker but Parker will do better scoring in this match up. Deron will also struggle to score against the tough Spurs defense, as he averaged 15.0 PPG against them this season. Parker has the speed to guard him with Duncan and Nene clogging up the lane if he can ever get by Parker. As a former finals MVP Parker always steps up his game in the playoffs and will definitely outscore Deron here.

Overall:
The Spurs have built a younger international team to change things up this season. Their style of offense and tough defense will definitely cause problems for the Jazz all over the floor. The Jazz defense is pretty weak other than Artest and Williams so the Spurs will definitely get the better end of that. The Spurs defense is probably one of the best we have ever seen and will definitely hold down the Jazz players way below their average.

phlp_bj
09-18-2008, 08:38 AM
I had to go with the Jazz here. I think their team is more well-rounded. Artest is better offensively than Bowen. The only advantage I see for the Spurs is having Duncan and Manu. Really close match up but I think Jazz win in a close one.

BlondeBomber41
09-18-2008, 08:40 AM
I think the Spurs have the slight advantage as far as starters go, but I love that Jazz bench. Rebounding and scoring from Gooden and Millsap, shooting from Korver, a good veteran backup PG and Ronnie Brewer has really come into his own as a player in the NBA. If it was me I would start Brewer and bring Dunleavy off the bench as my 6th man, but thats just my opinion.

Tom81
09-18-2008, 08:47 AM
San Antonio

Beno7500
09-18-2008, 10:14 AM
Utah

dre1990
09-18-2008, 10:36 AM
I had to go with the Jazz here. I think their team is more well-rounded. Artest is better offensively than Bowen. The only advantage I see for the Spurs is having Duncan and Manu. Really close match up but I think Jazz win in a close one.

X2

astrosmaniac
09-18-2008, 12:18 PM
we need more people to vote!!!!

_Sn1P3r_
09-18-2008, 05:03 PM
Spurs for me.

phlp_bj
09-18-2008, 05:18 PM
I think the Spurs have the slight advantage as far as starters go, but I love that Jazz bench. Rebounding and scoring from Gooden and Millsap, shooting from Korver, a good veteran backup PG and Ronnie Brewer has really come into his own as a player in the NBA. If it was me I would start Brewer and bring Dunleavy off the bench as my 6th man, but thats just my opinion.

You made a good point. The Spurs bench is made of foreign rookies who might turn out good but haven't proved anything thus far here in the states. Brewer and Gooden could be starters on most teams which gives their bench a huge boost.

Joshtd1
09-18-2008, 05:23 PM
Very very close here IMO.

I think the Spurs starters are better, but that Jazz bench is very very good. However, in the playoffs..the bench rotation is shortened, and players dont get as much time.

I have to think about this one for a bit before I decide.

astrosmaniac
09-18-2008, 05:25 PM
but i have 2 starting calibur players and 2 of the best bench guys out there. you go at least 7 or 8 deep in the playoffs and those 6, 7, and 8 players will make the difference

SensandRaps
09-18-2008, 05:35 PM
jazz for me

Dynasty
09-19-2008, 08:44 AM
Jazz win

futureman
09-19-2008, 09:49 AM
my lord! I wish this was our team in real life.

astrosmaniac
09-19-2008, 10:01 AM
i know, and does it hurt even more knowing a rockets fan made you this good? :D