PDA

View Full Version : Mistake

Lakersfan2483
09-18-2008, 12:48 AM
Did the Wizards make a huge mistake in signing Gilbert Arenas to such a huge contract? Arenas' durability has been in question the last few years, so was he worth franchise type money?

Note: Arenas will be out until Dec., maybe January

theimortalone
09-18-2008, 12:50 AM
Did the Wizards make a huge mistake in signing Gilbert Arenas to such a huge contract? Arenas' durability has been in question the last few years, so was it wrong to pay him so much?

I was thinking the same thing. I mean dude has surgeries every year it seems like. He did good in waiting to announce the surgery until the contract signing was official. Cuz I think Washington would have denied that contract.

hyphy king 88
09-18-2008, 12:51 AM
IMO He was never worth that kind of money even without inujuries.

Beno7500
09-18-2008, 12:54 AM
IMO He was never worth that kind of money even without inujuries.

I agree.

he is vastly overrated and majorly over paid IMO

Highlight
09-18-2008, 01:16 AM
Arenas reminds me of Steve Francis.

2 guards that had a few stellar seasons, but went down hill from there.

I hope Arenas doesn't fall as hard as Francis has. Francis has completely disappeared after having a few great seasons.

So sad...

Spurred1
09-18-2008, 01:22 AM
I didn't think he was worth those millions to begin with, but I don't understand why the Wizards would even consider giving someone with knee issues that huge of a contract. The contract was a major mistake.

Arenas519
09-18-2008, 01:35 AM
as much as i love arenas im starting to feel like giving him so much money was also a big mistake, but who knows hopefully after this little surgery he had he might be 100% but if not it really sucks to be a wizards fan right now

Lone Maverick
09-18-2008, 01:36 AM
Have to agree with what everyone said. He wasn't worth it before the injuries and definitely isn't now. Wizards play better without him, he isn't needed for their system, so I don't get why they'd give him that much money in the first place.

ARMIN12NBA
09-18-2008, 02:14 AM
Without the injuries, he isn't worth that money for a couple reasons and one of them being that he plays horrible defense.

With the injuries, he is certifiably not worth the money.

BTW--Does anybody remember the fact that Gilbert took a 20 million dollar paycut? Wow! Imagine how bad would the Wiz look if they had actually gone through with the max deal. It must have been Gilberts conscience telling him to give some of that money back because he knew he was missing a few days on the job :rolleyes:

dick butane
09-18-2008, 02:51 AM
Gilbert should be getting that much money. If you've seen the pool he built at his Cali estate you'll appreciate at least he spends it well.

DenButsu
09-18-2008, 03:06 AM
It's not easy in this NBA to acquire that kind of player. Should he have been paid that much? Probably not, but physical condition notwithstanding, locking down a player of that caliber once you get your hands on him is a pretty sound practice. And hindsight is 20/20.

That said, someone in the Wizards' medical staff should probably get the ax. They no doubt drew up his contract based on the evaluation of one or more medical experts who vouched (most likely in terms of "high probability") that he appeared to be out of the woods and at low risk for getting re-injured.

Oops.

2009odom2009
09-18-2008, 11:15 AM
You know what this means right......caron butler will get to run washington again...thankgod he's more of a leader than arenas....they should of kept chucky atkins to fill gilberts spot......caron butler 22ppg I can see it now.....

JordansBulls
09-18-2008, 11:32 AM
Did the Wizards make a huge mistake in signing Gilbert Arenas to such a huge contract? Arenas' durability has been in question the last few years, so was he worth franchise type money?

Note: Arenas will be out until Dec., maybe January

What else are the Wizards going to do? If Arenas doesn't sign then Jamison might not sign and then Butler may have left. They want a team that can make some noise, not one that is in the lottery yearly.

THE NATION
09-18-2008, 11:47 AM
What else are the Wizards going to do? If Arenas doesn't sign then Jamison might not sign and then Butler may have left. They want a team that can make some noise, not one that is in the lottery yearly.Jamison was signed before Arenas, Butler is not a free agent, and they could have divided that money up and went after B Davis and another second tier free agent or 2.

_Sn1P3r_
09-18-2008, 05:07 PM
Yeah it was a mistake. I don't think they would've signed him to that contract if they had known in advance.

ertanozgur
09-18-2008, 05:27 PM
I agree.

he is vastly overrated and majorly over paid IMO

i do agree

Hawkeye15
09-18-2008, 07:20 PM
I wouldn't have given him that deal coming off last year, for sure, but he was a total stud a couple years ago, and worth the money. But I would have attempted to give him a 3 year deal, 2 guaranteed, with incentives for games played. But, agents are able to convince a lot of players that they are worth more than they are. Gilbert is fantastic when healthy, but the Wiz are going to regret this now

bogdanrom
09-18-2008, 07:29 PM
If he had never been injured then you could say that he was worth that kind of money. With the injury, no.

BoltLakerPadre
09-18-2008, 07:30 PM
Yes they did. He was never worth that money, and no-one else would have paid him it, and that was before his injuries.

JOSETHEALLSTAR
09-18-2008, 11:13 PM
i bet they are thing will he ever be the player, he once was.