PDA

View Full Version : Countdown to training camp: For Cavs, the time is now

Sbank
09-17-2008, 11:23 PM
Countdown to training camp: For Cavs, the time is now
Enough about 2010.

We know all about 2010. We know LeBron James can opt out. We know teams are scrambling to clear cap space. We know the Cavs, at least for now, have plenty of cap space. We know the Cavs can offer more money and more years. We know Cleveland doesn't offer the gargantuan marketing and merchandising opportunities, fan-base size and mystique some other cities may have.

But who cares about 2010? Are we so paranoid as a fan base that we're losing sleep over something two years away? Are national sports writers (and me...) so bereft of ideas that all they can do is churn out the same thing we've read 100 times or more?

For the Cleveland Cavaliers, the time is now.

Not only do the Cavs have the best player in the NBA (even if talking heads don't want to admit it), they now have a legitimate second scoring option in Mo Williams. They have two small guards in Delonte West and Daniel Gibson that can shoot in transition and allow this team to spread defenses and push the basketball. They have a 7'3" center that can score in double figures. They have a coach that, for all the moaning about his offense (and I've been amongst the moaners), knows how to instill a strong defensive mindset, understands his success is dependent on LeBron James and knows how to win in the playoffs.

And most importantly, they have the ability to get significantly better at the trade deadline thanks to Wally Szczerbiak's $13 million expiring contract.

This team has holes, no doubt. They don't have a legitimate, back-to-the basket scorer. They need Anderson Varejao to return to the form he showed in 2007 when he was getting under the skin of the Detroit Pistons with his flailing arms and his flopping. They could use an x-factor player, a Shane Battier or Bruce Bowen type - a guy who knows his role and comes off the bench to play defense and hit a shot on occasion.

That, however, is the beauty of the Cavs' situation. When teams are ready to call it a season in February and are seeking cap relief for this summer at the trade deadline, Danny Ferry can come calling with Szczerbiak's contract (and perhaps a player like Anderson Varejao) and add the final piece to his team's championship puzzle.

That's right. I said championship.

For the Cavaliers, it's not about 2010. The time is now.

For Cleveland sports fans, it's time stop gnashing our teeth and keep hoping for next year.

Go ahead. Call me a homer. Tell me that the Cavs can't beat Boston or Philly or Detroit or L.A. Tell me that Houston is better or New Orleans is the team this year. Tell me that San Antonio will bounce back or Portland is too talented. Talk to me all you want about Toronto or Washington or Phoenix.

Better yet, keep telling me all about two years from now. In the meantime, I'll be talking about 2008-2009 and how it will become the year of the Cavaliers.

Cleveland.com (http://blog.cleveland.com/cavaliers_corner/2008/09/countdown_to_training_camp_for.html)
I think this year going to help show us if we are set for a long run at the NBA championship. We have the players to make a serious run. The problem is going to be can we be healthy and get the players at the deadline that makes us much better then the rest of the teams.

Injins2310
09-18-2008, 09:28 AM
Ah finally something to look forward to in Cleveland.

Please trade Wally asap though, hate watching him try to play defense and run down the court.

Who gave him that ridiculous contract anyways?

CHief_0_o_Wahoo
09-18-2008, 02:05 PM

Please trade Wally asap though, hate watching him try to play defense and run down the court.

Whoever did give him that contract could be doing us a favor come trade deadline.

jdavis26
09-18-2008, 03:24 PM
when does camp actually start?

23LBJCleBrowns
09-18-2008, 03:44 PM
i love the fact that it says enough about 2010 and thats wat i have been saying its all about now in cleveland

Sbank
09-18-2008, 06:44 PM

If we wait during the season to see Wally play well for us his value will go up and could net us solid player at the trade deadline.

CLEistheCITY
09-18-2008, 07:35 PM
Wally's ability as a player had nothing to do with his value. It wouldn't matter if he didn't play a game or had a career ending injury. His value is in his expiring contract, which teams will want, in order to get salary off the books. I'm a little worried about the deal the cavs would be taking on in exchange, however. I don't really want anyone past 2010, because I like the cap room the Cavs will have. That would mean the cavs would only take on a deal that extends through 2010, but I'm not so sure anyone would be eager to dump a contract with only 2 years left. The only difference to the other team would be signing someone in summer 2009, instead of 2010. The summer 2010 free agents are so much better, they probably wouldn't care to save that one extra year. Bottom line is the cavs would likely have to take on a longer term deal (like the Mo Williams contract) which could limit the pieces we could get in 2010.

23LBJCleBrowns
09-18-2008, 08:24 PM
everyone says this year is the year we need to win and no. we need to win this year or next, but i really think we can do it this year

Sbank
09-18-2008, 08:26 PM
Wally's ability as a player had nothing to do with his value. It wouldn't matter if he didn't play a game or had a career ending injury. His value is in his expiring contract, which teams will want, in order to get salary off the books. I'm a little worried about the deal the cavs would be taking on in exchange, however. I don't really want anyone past 2010, because I like the cap room the Cavs will have. That would mean the cavs would only take on a deal that extends through 2010, but I'm not so sure anyone would be eager to dump a contract with only 2 years left. The only difference to the other team would be signing someone in summer 2009, instead of 2010. The summer 2010 free agents are so much better, they probably wouldn't care to save that one extra year. Bottom line is the cavs would likely have to take on a longer term deal (like the Mo Williams contract) which could limit the pieces we could get in 2010.

It's has a contract year for him and has to play well for a new contract to stay in the league. Plus he noted as a three point shooter and his career % have dropped since we got in the deal.