PDA

View Full Version : Our First Round Pick 08????

FNM BOY
09-17-2008, 09:59 PM
With the quick and noticable star studded play of Desean Jackson in Philly & Hardy in Buffalo I think we made a big mistake by picking Balmer with our first round pick. How do you guys feel??? We could have had #1 all star receiver in the making. I was all for Hardy or Jackson.... but such is life!

974life
09-17-2008, 10:16 PM
Recievers will be avalible in FA, Plus games are won in the trenches linemen take a little longer to develop into great productive NFL players, Balmer will be a great one day give him time. I think we should take a RT to replace Jennings with pick 1 and a QB with pick 2.

sanfranfan1210
09-17-2008, 10:22 PM
Recievers will be avalible in FA, Plus games are won in the trenches linemen take a little longer to develop into great productive NFL players, Balmer will be a great one day give him time. I think we should take a RT to replace Jennings with pick 1 and a QB with pick 2.

I totally agree with you

bornFrisco49er
09-17-2008, 10:35 PM

i like the rt look your thinking about, but ill take a qb in the later rounds..if jto is as solid as martz thinks he is, he could have a good 2-4 years in sf maybe more...that way we can develop our later rd qb with knowledge of the system as JTO mentors him...as well as not wasting millions on a qb..low risk high reward that way...but 4 jonas jennings..ive been on his side since what 05'? hes been nothing but an injured sitting duck..he needs to go because w signed him on a good deal and thats extra money we can save for future FA pickups..im just so happy staley is a solid LT for us with years to come...theres definitely room for improvement but im satisfied with his play..

974life
09-17-2008, 10:46 PM
i like the rt look your thinking about, but ill take a qb in the later rounds..if jto is as solid as martz thinks he is, he could have a good 2-4 years in sf maybe more...that way we can develop our later rd qb with knowledge of the system as JTO mentors him...as well as not wasting millions on a qb..low risk high reward that way...but 4 jonas jennings..ive been on his side since what 05'? hes been nothing but an injured sitting duck..he needs to go because w signed him on a good deal and thats extra money we can save for future FA pickups..im just so happy staley is a solid LT for us with years to come...theres definitely room for improvement but im satisfied with his play..

Yeah thats a good Idea I agree with that.

UNETOWNBAYAREA
09-17-2008, 10:49 PM

i THINK HE MADE THIS THREAD ON AN INTENT TO SAY IF WE SHOULD'VE TAKEN DESEAN JACKSON INSTEAD OF BALMER.

IMO I WAS HOPING DURING THAT DAY WE WOULD TAKE DESEAN WHEN HE WAS AVAILABLE. AS YOU CAN SEE FROM THE FIRST FEW GAMES DESEAN IS A REAL DIFFERENCE MAKER AND LIGHTNING BOLT. I AM STILL A BIT UPSET THAT WE PASSED UP ON THIS GUY. MOST PEOPLE GRADE ROOKIES ON THE IMPACT THEY MAKE RIGHT AWAY. DESEAN IS MAKING AN IMPACT AND BALMER IS NOT. BALMER MAY BE GOOD IN THE FUTURE BUT ITS ALL POTENTIAL FROM WHAT HE SHOWED IN COLLEGE. DESEAN IS ALREADY SHOWING HIS POTENTIAL IN THE NFL..

IMO DESEAN COULD PLAY SIMILAR TO STEVE SMITH

I WOULD OF RATHER DRAFTED JACKSON.

rapjuicer06
09-18-2008, 12:11 AM
i woulda rather drafted a play maker because we need to win now, and balmer..hmm hes not playing now, so he can't exactly help out now. although i don't think a receiver woulda really made a difference for us because we have what...one td pass through the air? so i'm pretty sure receivers aren't our problem. so i'm sure what we should of drafted. so idk if its bad or not. but hardy would of been my choice

mex49er
09-18-2008, 01:38 AM
I support the idea of drafting a RT....
We still need a BIG dlineman...

and honestly Im being happy with Bryant Johnson... he is good he was a monster in college and I think is his breakout year....

bizmess13
09-18-2008, 01:47 AM
so theyre not moving chilo to rt?

bigmac8675
09-18-2008, 01:57 AM
^^ I don't think he has quite the feet and quickness to play at the tackle position yet.... but maybe with some work and a year or 2 under his belt he may be able to make that transition.

WillisLovechild
09-18-2008, 10:39 AM
Balmer was more of a developmental pick. We knew he'd take time to grow, especially considering he needs to put on weight to play NT. I was hoping we would draft Quentin Groves and have that killer pass rusher, but oh well, you get what you get.

FNM BOY
09-18-2008, 01:44 PM
i THINK HE MADE THIS THREAD ON AN INTENT TO SAY IF WE SHOULD'VE TAKEN DESEAN JACKSON INSTEAD OF BALMER.

IMO I WAS HOPING DURING THAT DAY WE WOULD TAKE DESEAN WHEN HE WAS AVAILABLE. AS YOU CAN SEE FROM THE FIRST FEW GAMES DESEAN IS A REAL DIFFERENCE MAKER AND LIGHTNING BOLT. I AM STILL A BIT UPSET THAT WE PASSED UP ON THIS GUY. MOST PEOPLE GRADE ROOKIES ON THE IMPACT THEY MAKE RIGHT AWAY. DESEAN IS MAKING AN IMPACT AND BALMER IS NOT. BALMER MAY BE GOOD IN THE FUTURE BUT ITS ALL POTENTIAL FROM WHAT HE SHOWED IN COLLEGE. DESEAN IS ALREADY SHOWING HIS POTENTIAL IN THE NFL..

IMO DESEAN COULD PLAY SIMILAR TO STEVE SMITH

I WOULD OF RATHER DRAFTED JACKSON.

you are right on point with the focus of my post...thanks!

lelelele boss49
09-18-2008, 02:03 PM
IMO, ASSUMING WE DONT GET ANY LINEMEN VIA FA, AND THAT OUR PASSING GAME, QB AND RECIEVERS, IS SOLID ENOUGH TO WIN (WITH MORGAN STEPPING UP AND MAYBE AN FA PICKUP FROM THE NFC WEST AGAIN,,,, MAYBE WE TAKE BOLDIN THIS TIME although hes too expensive).....THEN I WANT DLINE AND/OR OLINE WITH THE FIRST TWO PICKS THEN QB OR SUM1 TO HELP WITH THE PASS RUSH.

kfranks22
09-18-2008, 02:16 PM
The fact of the matter is nobody should be upset about the Niners not taking Jackson or Hardy in the first round because they were both available when we were on the clock in the second so Balmer was rated higher than both of them they made the correct choice there, but over Chilo Rachal... Now that's another story...

974life
09-18-2008, 02:44 PM
Desaun has charactor issues, why would we want TO part 2?

DerekRE_3
09-18-2008, 03:09 PM
What is with the all caps in this thread? There are two posts with it.

FNM BOY
09-18-2008, 03:49 PM

WHY??? Because he is a young stud whose skills are off the charts...character issues can be worked out with a young talent...you think Jerry Jones is worried about T.O.'s character once he is winning?? Hate him all you want...yes he may be a bit stupid but T.O. is a beast hands down!

UNETOWNBAYAREA
09-18-2008, 06:01 PM
character issues is overrated. If someone is performing at a high level and the team is winning and he has a clean rap off the field then who cares.

UNETOWNBAYAREA
09-18-2008, 06:03 PM
What is with the all caps in this thread? There are two posts with it.

caps were locked.. is it that big of an issue to u to point it out??

974life
09-18-2008, 06:43 PM
One Bad apple will ruin the bunch!!!

downsos
09-18-2008, 08:29 PM

:clap:

NinerNation
09-18-2008, 09:03 PM

who says he has character issues? he has a cocky attitude and swagger, but thats a good thing. just because someone isnt a nice guy doesnt mean he is going to be the next TO

brentn2n
09-18-2008, 10:12 PM
give balmer sum years..... d jackson droped right to us for are 2ed round pick and when we passed him up, i hit up every1 of my friends pissd off that we left soooo many wr get away but durring pre season i though MORGAN made up for tat huge mistake, but hes still a project and will grow with time... but after seein jackson numbers wit phily after 2 games n watchin his speed n all wowwww martz really would have turned him into sumthin

974life
09-18-2008, 10:13 PM
who says he has character issues? he has a cocky attitude and swagger, but thats a good thing. just because someone isnt a nice guy doesnt mean he is going to be the next TO

Its all attitude, dont get me wrong the kid can play but players like him ruin their team chemistry when things go wrong, and when they dont get the ball. All recievers are divas and generally are the ones who give their teams unwanted attention. Im glad we didnt go for him even though he he's making a splash.

Tapptout
09-18-2008, 11:18 PM
I'd way rather have D. Jackson over Chilo and Balmer

DerekRE_3
09-18-2008, 11:42 PM
caps were locked.. is it that big of an issue to u to point it out??

And you didn't notice? It's not a big deal I'm just saying. It makes it look like you are screaming.

rapjuicer06
09-19-2008, 12:07 AM
give balmer sum years..... d jackson droped right to us for are 2ed round pick and when we passed him up, i hit up every1 of my friends pissd off that we left soooo many wr get away but durring pre season i though MORGAN made up for tat huge mistake, but hes still a project and will grow with time... but after seein jackson numbers wit phily after 2 games n watchin his speed n all wowwww martz really would have turned him into sumthin

well the eagles and jackson have one thing helping jackson out. and thats mcnabb. if jackson was here jt couldn't get him the ball. wouldn't have the time or the arm strength the hit him on the fly

brentn2n
09-19-2008, 01:58 PM
well the eagles and jackson have one thing helping jackson out. and thats mcnabb. if jackson was here jt couldn't get him the ball. wouldn't have the time or the arm strength the hit him on the fly

jt seemed to get the ball to bruce...... his arm strength is really over looked, dude can chuck it but would rather throw a prefect 10-20 yr pass becuz he doesn't wanna try n do to much ( which i love to see) ....also jackson gets open super fast,jt wouldn't have to hold on to it all day (3 sacks last week becuz of holdin on too long in my eyes) if anything he would be a younger return man too and we could have keep another lineback or DB.

odiz
09-22-2008, 01:09 AM
character issues is overrated. If someone is performing at a high level and the team is winning and he has a clean rap off the field then who cares.

That philosophy has worked real well in Cincinatti the last few years.

TrialNError04
09-22-2008, 08:49 AM
I think its way too early to call either Jackson or Hardy all pros after 3 games in the NFL. If they keep this up after 9 or 10 games you can begin to make the claim, not after 3 when they have padded their stats against respective juggernauts like the Rams and Raiders.

With that said, sure Balmer looks like a reach at this point, but its way too early to call him a bust. Same time frame exists with him as well, if he still isnt seeing the field then you can begin to yell at the pick.

Montana16
09-22-2008, 09:13 AM
I was pissed off about the draft then and im infuriated now!

lelelele boss49
09-22-2008, 09:59 AM
WITH THE 32ND PICK IN THE 2009 NFL DRAFT THE 49ERS SELECT......

---wishful thinkin....dont tear my comment apart---maybe im hinting we trade down.......but hey u never kno ;)
FRANK GORE FOR SUPERBOWL MVP

leftymo
09-24-2008, 12:35 PM
The Seattle game showed me that SF has a ways to go with the OL and DL to compete with the big boys. So that's where I'd have my focus on the draft. Problem is our weakness is b/c we haven't drafted well. Baas still can't start on this weak OL and he was a 2nd round pick! Staley is struggling on the left side, Kwame was a bust. Snyder isn't playing well either. Rachal isn't good enough... The D-line is the same.

McDonald is supposedly 20 times better but still can't start and hasn't made significant plays yet, Sopoaga is ok, and Balmer can't beat out these guys? Remember when our first round rookie DT's were instant studs? (Stubblefield & BY)

DownSouth49er
09-24-2008, 12:57 PM
The Seattle game showed me that SF has a ways to go with the OL and DL to compete with the big boys. So that's where I'd have my focus on the draft. Problem is our weakness is b/c we haven't drafted well. Baas still can't start on this weak OL and he was a 2nd round pick! Staley is struggling on the left side, Kwame was a bust. Snyder isn't playing well either. Rachal isn't good enough... The D-line is the same.

McDonald is supposedly 20 times better but still can't start and hasn't made significant plays yet, Sopoaga is ok, and Balmer can't beat out these guys? Remember when our first round rookie DT's were instant studs? (Stubblefield & BY)

do you watch the games?...not being funny, but seriously, do you watch the games....McDonald has played pretty damn good whenever he enters the game...in my opinion he should be starting and im pretty sure there are guys on the board who WATCH the games that will agree with me....you seem to think that these guys can put themselves in the starting lineup...it doesn't work that way....it's up to nolan to start these guys, and why McDonald isn't starting baffles me...the guy has been balling when he comes in the game

THE NATION
09-24-2008, 01:24 PM
do you watch the games?...not being funny, but seriously, do you watch the games....McDonald has played pretty damn good whenever he enters the game...in my opinion he should be starting and im pretty sure there are guys on the board who WATCH the games that will agree with me....you seem to think that these guys can put themselves in the starting lineup...it doesn't work that way....it's up to nolan to start these guys, and why McDonald isn't starting baffles me...the guy has been balling when he comes in the game

You are right, but he did start. Here is what MM said about him in his blog:

91-McDonald: Started at right defensive end. . . Forced Lions to punt on first series when he pushed RG Stephen Peterman back into QB Jon Kitna as he was throwing for an incomplete pass . . . Finished with two tackles. . . . Saw a lot of action as DE on base downs and DT in passing situations, where he attracted a fair amount of double-team blocks.

mlbstar310
10-01-2008, 12:54 PM

thats what i have been saying all year

JAyster_21
10-01-2008, 09:10 PM
In time kentwan should be a pretty good player in the trenches but when we had picked Balmer in the 1st round we had a chance to draft desean jackson in the 2ND ROUND!!!!
instead we took a guy named chilo rachal who has barely been on the field all year!!!! Desean would been a snag in the second round for us.....MAN!!!!

bornFrisco49er
10-02-2008, 02:44 AM

thank u..i cant believe hes dissin my boy ray mac...mcdonald plays with a motor, seriously..hes not a natural 3-4 de because he lacks some size, but that doesnt stop him from playing hard..sopoaga was resigned to stop the run not bring pressure..he cant bring much pressure..period..the LE in manusky's 3-4 is a run stopper and thats sopoaga's job..its just that teams have been passing on us..if we went more 4-3 as a base package id put him and balmer inside with j.smith and mcdonald at ends..