PDA

View Full Version : What team who is predicted to do well will falter during the season?

JordansBulls
09-17-2008, 05:09 PM
What team who is predicted to do well will falter during the season?

This could involve several teams, but what team/teams do you think many are overrating and will not be even close as good as many are predicting?

futureheisman
09-17-2008, 05:10 PM
76ers

SensandRaps
09-17-2008, 05:23 PM
^^ i agree 110%

PhillyLuver
09-17-2008, 05:25 PM
Cavs

Ph1lly Diehard
09-17-2008, 05:30 PM
Cavs, Heat

MiamiHeat
09-17-2008, 05:38 PM
Cavs, Heat

really? people are expecting us to do well?
never knew that alot of people saying we aren't even going to make the playoffs

76ers is my answer

KmB728
09-17-2008, 05:57 PM
Bold Prediction- Lakers..... haha

they will do well but....they wont go 82-0 as some of their fans believe

FOBolous
09-17-2008, 06:00 PM
hate to say this since i'm a Rockets fan but the Rockets have a high chance of falling short of its expectations mainly because of injuries...if Yao gets injured for an extended period of time than it's game over for Houston.

ShakeN'Bake
09-17-2008, 06:00 PM
76ers, Cavs, and Rockets if the injury bug bites them like it always does

cmstophe
09-17-2008, 06:04 PM
76ers.

Cavs will be in it at the end just like every year, barring injuries, so quit trying to be trendy.

And my Lakers will win the Finals.

ShaunRiching9
09-17-2008, 06:15 PM
76ers possobly raptors

THE_FLASH_21
09-17-2008, 06:17 PM
Houston.... lol they'll all get hurt, and then they'll cry about it!!!

Lakersfan2483
09-17-2008, 06:23 PM
I know a lot of Phoenix fans will be upset, but I am going to say the Suns. They still have not addressed their weaknesses at the small forward position and shooting guard position. They have not made major moves to upgrade their bench. Also, age may be a problem for them, look at the age of Shaq, Nash, and G. Hill. All three players are significant to the team and may have to play heavy mins. because the west is so talented.

Teams that will falter:

Phoenix Suns
LA Clippers
Raptors (O'neal may get hurt again)
Wizards (Arenas is out again)
Pistons? (That team may be on the decline, still undecided)

yaowowrocket11
09-17-2008, 06:34 PM
Probably the Cleveland Cavs. Lebron can't do it on his own, and Mo Williams is a good addition, but it won't change their record all that much.

Beno7500
09-17-2008, 06:36 PM
Clippers, Heat, Rockets

DerekRE_3
09-17-2008, 06:38 PM
The Hornets could falter, similarly to how the Bulls faltered last year after doing well the year before. I don't see this happening though, especially with the addition of James Posey. And Julian Wright is only going to get better, making their bench deeper this year, even with the loss of Pargo. But if Chris Paul goes down, the Hornets are done.

I agree with the 76ers, they have some high expectations with the addition of Brand. But if guys like Louis Williams and Thad Young continue to improve, they could contend in the East.

Dol-Fan
09-17-2008, 06:42 PM
Clippers (bad team chemistry, IMO)
Raptors (a lot of injury concerns, could be VERY good if they are healthy all year. Big if)
76ers (I just feel like they're being overrated because of the big run at the end of the year. I don't think the team is as good as that. Brand will make them better but I don't see 50 wins)
Rockets (injury concerns, what will Artest think about sharing SF time with Battier?)
Suns (they will either be very good, or very bad. Time will tell)
Nuggets (an awful defensive team loses their best defensive player...for a 2nd round pick? Ouch)
Orlando (if Howard ever goes down they're done, so they will always be on this type of list for me)
Cavaliers (Same reason as Magic, plus I don't know how well Williams will fit in. We will see)

superkegger
09-17-2008, 06:50 PM
Probably the Rockets. A lot of non rockets fans have them going a long ways. And me personally, I don't think Ron Artest is the answer.

I don't really agree with the 76ers or Raptors, because as much as their own fans expect them to do well, I really don't see either team doing worse than last season. I would expect both teams to win around 45 games or so, at the least. So if they fall short of that, I guess, but I have a hard time envisioning that happening.

goku
09-17-2008, 07:29 PM
any team if they get injuries

_Sn1P3r_
09-17-2008, 07:45 PM
Pretty much ^ All about injuries and chemistry I think.

23LBJCleBrowns
09-17-2008, 08:10 PM
pistons, 76ers lakers and CELTICS

ARMIN12NBA
09-17-2008, 08:17 PM
Bold Prediction- Lakers..... haha

they will do well but....they wont go 82-0 as some of their fans believe

Which fan thinks that?

Anyways. I'll say it will be the Cavs and Rockets.

Dol-Fan
09-17-2008, 08:19 PM
any team if they get injuries

Well yes, but some teams have players who are just more likely to get injured than others. For example, how often do you see a Spurs team falter due to injury? Rarely, they always have a very good season. How about the Pistons? They are always good and don't get injured.

The Rockets on the other hand, are always injured with Yao and T-Mac. Jermaine O'Neal is an injury concern for the Raptors, as is Brand for the Sixers.

Vidball
09-17-2008, 08:23 PM
Rockets if TMac/Yao miss their typical amount of games.
Cavs as well...the East got better--I think there are 4 or 5 teams in the East that could knock the Cavs out in the first round.

Lakersfan2483
09-17-2008, 08:31 PM
How about the Dallas Mavs? They have not improved their roster and were knocked out in round 1 last season.

oshea225
09-17-2008, 08:59 PM
pistons, sixers, suns

Lakersfan2483
09-17-2008, 09:02 PM
pistons, sixers, suns

I agree the Pistons may struggle, they have gotten rid of 2 good coaches in Larry Brown and Flip Saunders. They also are getting a lot older.

oshea225
09-17-2008, 09:20 PM
I agree the Pistons may struggle, they have gotten rid of 2 good coaches in Larry Brown and Flip Saunders. They also are getting a lot older.

yeah it killed me how EVERY year the "experts" would pick them to finish first in the east (until boston's trio came into play) just because they got ONE championship in recent years. now that the celtics are on top again, its all "okay well the pistons will finish 2nd". guess what? they might be stacked, but theyre just not as good as everyone says

dre1990
09-17-2008, 09:37 PM
Rockets, they will make tha playoffs but be a 5th or 6th seed, and they wont get out of the 1st round

cmellofan15
09-17-2008, 09:52 PM
Pistons
Raptors
Rockets

goku
09-17-2008, 10:11 PM
Rockets, they will make tha playoffs but be a 5th or 6th seed, and they wont get out of the 1st round

we will see all thats holding them back is health if they are healthy by playoff time they wil make it to the 2nd round

29$JerZ
09-17-2008, 10:58 PM
West
Rockets - Health will always plague this team, anything short or a month injury is a blessing for them.

$ NyC $
09-17-2008, 11:15 PM
I'll have to say 4 the

West : Mavs
Their team is getting older and shipped out their young potential in Devin Harris 4 an aging Jason Kidd. Their an old team that need a good perimeter player and Josh Howard can't seem 2 stay out of trouble and play ball, and he's almost 30.

East: The Magic
I'm actually a Magic fan but i just don't see their roster contending. D12 and Turg are really good but Lewis didn't play that good last year and Nelson can't seem 2 stay focused and consistent.

Dol-Fan
09-17-2008, 11:26 PM
I'm actually a Magic fan but i just don't see their roster contending. D12 and Turg are really good but Lewis didn't play that good last year and Nelson can't seem 2 stay focused and consistent.

You make a good point here, I don't like their depth (Pietrus is ok) and the PG situation is pretty weak. I didn't even think about their roster, but Turk's ONLY good year was last year, wouldn't that make him a bit of a question mark? Almost like a Bobby Simmons question mark. D12 is great but a team can neutralize him because he really doesn't have a wide variety of post moves. I still expect them top 6 but I wouldn't lock them into the top 3 like many do.

Lakersfan2483
09-18-2008, 12:04 AM
yeah it killed me how EVERY year the "experts" would pick them to finish first in the east (until boston's trio came into play) just because they got ONE championship in recent years. now that the celtics are on top again, its all "okay well the pistons will finish 2nd". guess what? they might be stacked, but theyre just not as good as everyone says

The worst mistake the Pistons made was getting rid of Larry Brown. He was able to get the most out of that team. They won a title with him and went to the finals the very next season with him as coach. Detroit has changed their philosophy in terms of being a defensive oriented team.

JOSETHEALLSTAR
09-18-2008, 12:19 AM
the lakers

Spurred1
09-18-2008, 12:19 AM
How about the Dallas Mavs? They have not improved their roster and were knocked out in round 1 last season.
But nobody has predicted that they will do well.
My pick is the Rockets-seems like someone's always injured on that team.

bigmac8675
09-18-2008, 02:16 AM
76ers
Raptors
Cavs
Rockets

Kiss Ma Grits
09-18-2008, 10:51 AM
In the East:
Philly- Brand won't be enough to help a team who got knocked out of the playoffs in the first round win a championship the next season. Philly is OVERRATED.

In the West:
Suns- Shaq and Nash are up their in age and I think Shaq actually slows them down and hurts their offense.....

JordansBulls
09-18-2008, 11:12 AM
I'll have to say 4 the

West : Mavs
Their team is getting older and shipped out their young potential in Devin Harris 4 an aging Jason Kidd. Their an old team that need a good perimeter player and Josh Howard can't seem 2 stay out of trouble and play ball, and he's almost 30.

People aren't expecting much from the Mavs this year.

RoyalG333
09-18-2008, 12:21 PM
Rockets: I can see them doing well for a stretch an then Artest throwing a wrench in the flow and making things hell for Houston fans.

Cavs: Lebron just doesnt have enough support. Lebron himself may have a season with huge numbers. Maybe average over 30 ppg.

Suns: Theyre always expected to do well but I think the Nash era has come and gone. Then you got Shaq in there limping around. I just think they won't have that same killer instinct they did the last few years. Sure they'll play more defense but their offense will suffer.

Highlight
09-18-2008, 12:29 PM
People aren't expecting much from the Mavs this year.

Agreed, people aren't expecting much at all from the Mavs. They're expected to make the playoffs and get shipped out of the first round. They could come out and surprise, but I doubt it.

I don't think the Magic will improve much from last year.

I actually the Sixers are going to be pretty damn good. I think they'll be a top 4 seed for sure. That's if EB stays healthy. They now have everything a team needs to be successful.

still1ballin
09-18-2008, 12:48 PM
rockets: injuires

EasyMac951
09-18-2008, 01:25 PM
Blazers, 76ers, Heat

Think they all might make playoffs but not be as impressive doing it like everyone believes. But we shall see.

CHief_0_o_Wahoo
09-18-2008, 01:33 PM
Sixers more then anyone..

king4day
09-18-2008, 01:39 PM
I know a lot of Phoenix fans will be upset, but I am going to say the Suns. They still have not addressed their weaknesses at the small forward position and shooting guard position. They have not made major moves to upgrade their bench. Also, age may be a problem for them, look at the age of Shaq, Nash, and G. Hill. All three players are significant to the team and may have to play heavy mins. because the west is so talented.

Teams that will falter:

Phoenix Suns
LA Clippers
Raptors (O'neal may get hurt again)
Wizards (Arenas is out again)
Pistons? (That team may be on the decline, still undecided)

Suns: Theyre always expected to do well but I think the Nash era has come and gone. Then you got Shaq in there limping around. I just think they won't have that same killer instinct they did the last few years. Sure they'll play more defense but their offense will suffer.

This is similar to what the Heat fan was saying above.
The thread is titled, which team that's expected to do well, will falter.
Some have us as a 6-8 seed and others missing the playoffs altogether. So for us, faltering would mean getting a top 5 pick.

My pick is the Raptors