PDA

View Full Version : Leyland has got to be given his pink slip!

hoog
09-17-2008, 12:05 PM
Enough is enough in the loyalty department Jim. I love ya and all but holy crap did your loyalty cost you this year. I just have never understood your love for Fernando Rodney? What has this guy EVER shown that would make you think he'd be a big league closer? I know the options were limited but I would have much rather gone with Robertson at closer than this guy. This is after you held on to your love fest with Jonesy. Everyone knew he couldn't have the year he had last year except for, I guess, you. Well, the joke unfortunately was on you. You can love the guys willingness but you had to see his arm and mental game were done. Then we have Sheff, whose quest for 500 homers obviously played a factor in leaving him in there while he struggled to make the Mendoza (.200) line. Should have benched him a long, long, time ago. Finally, the nail in the coffin, which is Chuck "the talented pitcher killer" Hernandez. Please Jim name me one, and I mean one, pitcher on our staff that EVER got better from his tutiledge? Ah, maybe Minor, maybe not.

Jim I was rooting for you to turn this thing around but it seems as if you got disinterested and frustrated there towards the end. It seems as if you made half thought out decisions and once quoted in the papers you were afraid to change. Whatever it may have been, you have not been the manager you once were these last months and I'm all but certain you will be gone. I'll miss you Jim, but as long as your leaving please make sure you take your albatross, Chuck Hernandez, with you. You see Jim, loyalty, gets you no where in major sports anymore and I think you'll soon find that out. Thanks for the good times sorry Chuck ruined them for us.

scottie
09-17-2008, 01:01 PM
Enough is enough in the loyalty department Jim. I love ya and all but holy crap did your loyalty cost you this year. I just have never understood your love for Fernando Rodney? What has this guy EVER shown that would make you think he'd be a big league closer? I know the options were limited but I would have much rather gone with Robertson at closer than this guy. This is after you held on to your love fest with Jonesy. Everyone knew he couldn't have the year he had last year except for, I guess, you. Well, the joke unfortunately was on you. You can love the guys willingness but you had to see his arm and mental game were done. Then we have Sheff, whose quest for 500 homers obviously played a factor in leaving him in there while he struggled to make the Mendoza (.200) line. Should have benched him a long, long, time ago. Finally, the nail in the coffin, which is Chuck "the talented pitcher killer" Hernandez. Please Jim name me one, and I mean one, pitcher on our staff that EVER got better from his tutiledge? Ah, maybe Minor, maybe not.

Jim I was rooting for you to turn this thing around but it seems as if you got disinterested and frustrated there towards the end. It seems as if you made half thought out decisions and once quoted in the papers you were afraid to change. Whatever it may have been, you have not been the manager you once were these last months and I'm all but certain you will be gone. I'll miss you Jim, but as long as your leaving please make sure you take your albatross, Chuck Hernandez, with you. You see Jim, loyalty, gets you no where in major sports anymore and I think you'll soon find that out. Thanks for the good times sorry Chuck ruined them for us.

That was all hogwash!

stanpapi
09-17-2008, 03:11 PM
No, no -- Jim's job is on the line, no question. Maybe they do it now, maybe they give him April to see if he can get out of the gate. But they've gotten worse and worse since 2006, and part of the problem (I said PART) is Jim.

Sheffies Chef
09-17-2008, 04:20 PM
who would take over for jimbo?

ned yost maybe, idk.

Hermie13
09-17-2008, 04:26 PM
who would take over for jimbo?

ned yost maybe, idk.

:pray:

lol

bballguy869
09-17-2008, 05:01 PM
I'm with ya, hoog.
Leyland was good for a while and I had faith in him to turn things around... up until i started seeing his lack of adjustments where they were really needed (Jones, Rodney, Sheffield, Henandez, Renteria, etc.).
It was fun while it lasted, but it's time for him to go and take his worthless favorites with him.
Hopefully he lands on his feet somewhere else without them.

stanpapi
09-17-2008, 09:26 PM
Aymen, he didn't use his role players where and when he should have. Funny, I think he was so afraid of losing his starters that he lost the role guys.

scottie
09-19-2008, 12:00 PM
You guys are a joke!!!!!

Have you forgotten what Jim did here?? We lost 120 games fools. People like you guys go out every year and shout from the roof tops," This is the year" "The tigers are gonna win it all" "We have the best starting pitching in the game" Justin Verlander is an ACE" Its all hogwash!! People like you make me want to stop posting here due to pure foolishness. Face it we had a bad year all the way around, for the front office to the team. Its ok guys were not going to win every year and Jim has taken us far. At least people tune in now and our blood pressure goes up. Stop pointing fingers. ALL year I've seen these silly posts, Santigago should start, Rodney, Dolsi, and Zumaya are waaaaaaaaaaaaaay better then Jones. Verlander is a legit Ace. Chuck Hernandez hasn't help any pitchers. This is not acceptable and childlike. Get a job, or a life and stop pointing fingers. We had a bad year, face it and move on.

mark1125
09-19-2008, 05:25 PM
You guys are a joke!!!!!

People like you make me want to stop posting here due to pure foolishness.

Promise?

bballguy869
09-19-2008, 05:59 PM
Promise?

Lmao. :up:

stanpapi
09-19-2008, 06:33 PM
Well, while you ladies work it out, let me just say it was certainly a bad time for Jimbo to get a triple red-card. If they go ahead win these three (unlikely) everyone will be looking at him a little funny, even Scottie.

Bondomania
09-20-2008, 03:59 PM
i wouldn't mind seeing a guy like Ned Yost get the job if Jim gets fired.. Or i wouldn't mind seeing some of our Toledo coaches get a good look for the position

stanpapi
09-20-2008, 11:55 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing a boss who is going to kick some ***. I never loved Sparky -- too flashy -- but you didn't bugger around on his team, no matter who you were or how much you made. I think he cut Jack Morris a little slack on his temper, understandable. But that's about it. The way a lot of these guys are acting and talking -- they don't respect Leyland. Too many guys out of line too often, too much lollygagging. I want someone who puts an end to the lollygagging.

JackB
09-21-2008, 09:15 AM
I don't think Leyland was totally at fault for this season. The players have to take most of the blame. Yes JL played his favorites but those guys have a history of being good players. Sheff has been hurt and when healthy canhit with the best of them. I have never been a fan of Robertson but what other options did JL have? The starting pitching was depleted . Renteria hit the crap out of the ball last year. He has no range but again you have a guy making big bucks that you can't sit in favor of a weak hitting good defensive player. The Red Sox had him for a season and he did the same thing with them. He just can't hit in the AL.
If things had been different and the Tigers came out strong and played well with these players but still didn't have enough to make it to the playoffs we wouldn't be talking about this. We got shut out 12 or 13 times. The bullpen has blown enough leads that we would be over .500 right now and maybe close to a wild card spot.
Say what you want about JL, Sheff and Renteria but this season wasn't all their fault. It was a total team effort.
This is a different time in major league baseball. the hard nose managers are far and few between. These guys are babies. They need to be pampered. If pitchers throw over 200 innings they are being over used. Inthe days before free agency pitchers used to throw 250-300 innings a yr. They would pitch 3-4 days a week. Hell many now don't get past the 6th inning. They still have enough left in the tank to get through a game but because of the righty lefty situations they get yanked. Its over used in my book. The starter was good enough to go through the lineup two or three times . Leave him in. The game has changed so much over the years its almost sad. Leyland is a good manager.Yes he has made some bad moves. They all make them.Nobody can make the right move every time.I don't care if you had Joe Torre or Casey Stengal running this team things happen during the course of a season that things just don't work out. Don't forget. There is also another team in the other dugout. They have something to say about the out come of the game.
Its easy to blame the manager and or his coaching staff. Its easier to replace them then it is to replace the team.
I say we keep JL. Give him another year and see what happens before we throw him under the bus.

mark1125
09-21-2008, 03:22 PM
I don't think Leyland was totally at fault for this season. The players have to take most of the blame. Yes JL played his favorites but those guys have a history of being good players. Sheff has been hurt and when healthy canhit with the best of them. I have never been a fan of Robertson but what other options did JL have? The starting pitching was depleted . Renteria hit the crap out of the ball last year. He has no range but again you have a guy making big bucks that you can't sit in favor of a weak hitting good defensive player. The Red Sox had him for a season and he did the same thing with them. He just can't hit in the AL.
If things had been different and the Tigers came out strong and played well with these players but still didn't have enough to make it to the playoffs we wouldn't be talking about this. We got shut out 12 or 13 times. The bullpen has blown enough leads that we would be over .500 right now and maybe close to a wild card spot.
Say what you want about JL, Sheff and Renteria but this season wasn't all their fault. It was a total team effort.
This is a different time in major league baseball. the hard nose managers are far and few between. These guys are babies. They need to be pampered. If pitchers throw over 200 innings they are being over used. Inthe days before free agency pitchers used to throw 250-300 innings a yr. They would pitch 3-4 days a week. Hell many now don't get past the 6th inning. They still have enough left in the tank to get through a game but because of the righty lefty situations they get yanked. Its over used in my book. The starter was good enough to go through the lineup two or three times . Leave him in. The game has changed so much over the years its almost sad. Leyland is a good manager.Yes he has made some bad moves. They all make them.Nobody can make the right move every time.I don't care if you had Joe Torre or Casey Stengal running this team things happen during the course of a season that things just don't work out. Don't forget. There is also another team in the other dugout. They have something to say about the out come of the game.
Its easy to blame the manager and or his coaching staff. Its easier to replace them then it is to replace the team.
I say we keep JL. Give him another year and see what happens before we throw him under the bus.

Just about everyone involved can share the blame. Dombrowskis moves did not pan out. Leyland didn't properly motivtae or make changes when needed. Most of the players did not earn their paychecks. IMO Leyland may quit before he ever got fired. DD needs to take the bull by the balls and rid themselves of the deadwood even if it means eating some contracts.

On a side note, I am curious as to how Kirk Gibson would fare as a manager.

stanpapi
09-21-2008, 08:30 PM
There is a whole lot of blame to be thrown around, but Jim is deep in the soup. Look at what his teams have done post AS-break. Even the 2006 team stunk. It was a shock that they came to life in the playoffs. So, what's his post AS-break winning percentage with the Tigers -- shite. Plus, his team wasn't ready to start this season, that lies with him. The only guys he yaps about are the guys who don't play, and what the hell does he do that for? Kicking about Clete Thomas' numbers in the minors -- then we find out the dude needs Tommy John. He's out of it, man.

As for Gibson, you can credit Gibson and Trammell for training a lot of those players. I always thought they had that backwards though -- that Gibson should have been manager and Trammell the bench coach. Tell you what: A Gibson team wouldn't be boring. And this 2008 Tigers team has been a yawn. Besides, the 2005 Tigers (the year Trammell was fired) had pretty much the same record as this lot. I'd love to see what Gibson will do as a manager, and my guess is he'll end up manager sooner than later -- somewhere.

mark1125
09-21-2008, 10:12 PM
There is a whole lot of blame to be thrown around, but Jim is deep in the soup. Look at what his teams have done post AS-break. Even the 2006 team stunk. It was a shock that they came to life in the playoffs. So, what's his post AS-break winning percentage with the Tigers -- shite. Plus, his team wasn't ready to start this season, that lies with him. The only guys he yaps about are the guys who don't play, and what the hell does he do that for? Kicking about Clete Thomas' numbers in the minors -- then we find out the dude needs Tommy John. He's out of it, man.

As for Gibson, you can credit Gibson and Trammell for training a lot of those players. I always thought they had that backwards though -- that Gibson should have been manager and Trammell the bench coach. Tell you what: A Gibson team wouldn't be boring. And this 2008 Tigers team has been a yawn. Besides, the 2005 Tigers (the year Trammell was fired) had pretty much the same record as this lot. I'd love to see what Gibson will do as a manager, and my guess is he'll end up manager sooner than later -- somewhere.

If and when Leyland quits/gets canned, I would not object to Gibson (although unlikely). As you said Papi, it would not be boring. I doubt the lacadasical attitudes would last long.

smarkow
09-22-2008, 11:49 AM
As has been said, Jim is definitely partly to blame for the debacle this year. Should he be fired now? I don't think so. You got to give him another year, or at least another month or two next season.

What other options are out there? It would be great if the Tigers hired someone from their past as they did with Trammell and Gibby. I'd love to see Gibby back here as a manager and see what he can do.

As far as someone's comment about Leyland's loyalty to Rodney. Who else is he going to put in there at this point? you can't put Jones back in there. Zumaya is injured. Farnsworth speaks for himself. There's no one else!

stanpapi
09-22-2008, 05:57 PM
I think they probably will let Jim start next season. I think they should pull the trigger at the end of this one, get it over with and start fresh. But I think they'll give him until May or June, take stock again then.

JackB
09-22-2008, 09:02 PM
I don't think I want somebody learning on the job how to manager. Its bad enough we may have to live with a president that is learning on the job. I think in this case I would rather take my chances with Gibby.
But I'm hoping Leyland stays. He deserves another shot.

stanpapi
09-22-2008, 10:31 PM
Not if they pretty much lose out the rest of the way he doesn't. They've stopped playing. No sense of pride, they've stopped.

Epic89
09-23-2008, 12:23 AM
I am not among the crowd that wants to see Skip go; love the guy, respect him and don't know who the **ll else they'd get (Randolph? Yost? No thank you)

But I figured this was an appropriate thread to complain about something; he said in the post game today he found the bullpen's failure to get big outs "mind-boggling".

What the **** is so "mind-boggling" about journeymen and reclamation projects with control issues not being able to get big outs?

stanpapi
09-23-2008, 09:37 PM
You got that right, and that's another thing. He's made some of the strangest comments. The hell's he doing going off an a bunch of kids having off year's in the minors? Calling Larrish, Thomas, and a couple other minor leaguers out, saying their numbers are unacceptable. Same time, Inge tries to hold off Mendoza, Sheff hits .225 or something, and Willis looks like Nuke Lalloosh before he started listening to Kevin Costner. Anyway, if he guides this team to a last place finish, he has to be gone. I'm not saying the Tigers will finish last, but there's a chance. I know, I know, that KC club is coming around. Dangerous team, that KC.

Epic89
09-23-2008, 09:56 PM
Tied for last on the same day Jim Leyland said "We have as good a nucleus as there is in baseball." This coming not too long after "We're not far away from getting right back into the thick of things."

Insulting. Absolutely insulting, these false promises

mark1125
09-24-2008, 07:19 AM
Leyland just has a bone for anyone over 30. Last place ofr a team with this payroll? Someone needs to answer for it. It won't be DD. Leyland will probably be the guy.

stanpapi
09-24-2008, 09:08 PM
Leyland just has a bone for anyone over 30. Last place ofr a team with this payroll? Someone needs to answer for it. It won't be DD. Leyland will probably be the guy.

Team's been out of it since I don't know when and he's sticking with his line-up.

mark1125
09-24-2008, 10:24 PM
Team's been out of it since I don't know when and he's sticking with his line-up.

Eating a contract or not, Sheffield needed to be cut. He still needs to be cut. Jones, Rogers, Gary f'n Glover?!?!?!

I like Leyland, but his obsession with the veterans is going to sink this team not only this year, but for years to come.

stanpapi
09-24-2008, 11:26 PM
Yeah, after tonight's game, he'll be lucky if they give him the dignity of the week. Wow -- they're just rolling over on him. They got 4-hit by KC, and now Ordonez is slumping. The frickin' terrible. They're tanking. I saw a post on the team's website about placing next year's season tix. Man, they're going to be the easiest ticket in town. I'm not making any predictions, but I have to think Jim is gone at this point. They're not just bad, they've pretty much given up on playing the season out. I'm not saying Ordonez should be diving for balls or anything, but this is a monstrosity.

Bondomania
09-25-2008, 10:41 AM
it was announced that Leyland will be back on espn.. did Leyland really go off on the minor leaguers?? that is ******** if he did... Clevelen had his best year in AAA and was hitting above .300 for most of the year, with 20+ hr and 70+ rbi's... and there were a lot of minor leaguers that had solid seasons... however, Leyland *****es and moans and quits on teams if his teams get to young.. that's what happens.. Leyland cannot win without superstars, and i think he is the most overrated manager in the majors... think about it 2006 was the perfect storm.. young players all developed and almost peaked (with exception of granderson who has continued to get better) in the same year and reached the majors... since then, the team hasn't gotten much better, and a lot of our pitchers have almost gotten worse