PDA

View Full Version : Taking the BIG shot scenario

POZUNO
09-17-2008, 12:23 AM
Clippers vs Rockets 95-97 Clippers down by 2. Location: Staples Center. Its 4th quarter with 12 seconds left on the clock. Baron Davis is sitting on the bench with 6 personal fouls. J-Will is injured and Mobley and Thomas are out with the flu. On court is...

PG-Eric Gordon
SG-Ricky Davis
SF-Al Thornton
PF-Marcus Camby (5 fouls)
C-Chris Kaman (5 fouls)

PG-Rafer Alston
SG-Tracy Mcgrady
SF-Ron Artest
PF-Louis Scola
C-Yao Ming

Do you sit Camby or Kaman and put Novak in to play PF? Do you go for the 2 or the 3? And finally...Who takes the BIG shot???

don'tfireNedCo
09-17-2008, 12:26 AM
first of all, where are they playing?

POZUNO
09-17-2008, 12:28 AM
Staples homie.

don'tfireNedCo
09-17-2008, 12:29 AM
if they are playing in LA, then I'll say go for 2 and try kaman right on yao. chris has shown that he is quicker than yao, almost toying with him on offensive end at times.

don'tfireNedCo
09-17-2008, 12:31 AM
but if in houston, go for 3 and have the ROOKIE take the shot!

all glory if goes, no one will blame the rook if he misses.

tracy and artest are too good of defenders, and camby is... camby.

POZUNO
09-17-2008, 12:33 AM
Yea I've seen Kaman put on some nice flashy post moves on Yoa before. Remember that spin move fallowed by a reverse dunk that he put on Yoa last season? Nice!

don'tfireNedCo
09-17-2008, 12:36 AM
Yea I've seen Kaman put on some nice flashy post moves on Yoa before. Remember that spin move fallowed by a reverse dunk that he put on Yoa last season? Nice!

he even told ralph he was going to dunk on yao with a reverse before the tipoff, then he dunked on yao with a reverse on the first position!

POZUNO
09-17-2008, 12:51 AM
That's hard. So stoked after seeing it. I remember spilling beer all over myself and pointing my finger at everyone around me, cursing those who didn't like the clippers and calling them *****es all night.

don'tfireNedCo
09-17-2008, 01:02 AM
That's hard. So stoked after seeing it. I remember spilling beer all over myself and pointing my finger at everyone around me, cursing those who didn't like the clippers and calling them *****es all night.

I know... those damn laker *****es...

ClipperNation14
09-17-2008, 01:28 AM
PG-Ricky Davis
SG-Eric Gordon
SF-Al Thornton
PF-Steve Novak
C-Chris Kaman

You give the ball to Ricky. He's the best all around scorer/shooter/distributor in this group. If there's an open man, he'll find them...if not, he'll take the big shot.

Aside from a lob or a desperation mid-ranger, Camby is useless (unless the coach wants to take a shot early on the shot clock in hope for an offensive rebound). Kaman will be used to anchor the middle and carry the attention of Yao and possibly Scola.

You gotta put in Novak, especially if it's against Houston. They know he's a lights out shooter and they're gonna have their eyes on him...this is just adding to our options. We have he and Gordon at each corner and Thornton going moving around the mid-range to get open.

Worst case scenerio: 1 on 1 coverage and Ricky does the pull up. Not that bad. With Scola watching Novak, there might actually be some space for him to drive in. If the defense collapses, he'll pass out to the open man. If not, he's more than capable of scoring.

don'tfireNedCo
09-17-2008, 01:41 AM
PG-Ricky Davis
SG-Eric Gordon
SF-Al Thornton
PF-Steve Novak
C-Chris Kaman

You give the ball to Ricky. He's the best all around scorer/shooter/distributor in this group. If there's an open man, he'll find them...if not, he'll take the big shot.

Aside from a lob or a desperation mid-ranger, Camby is useless (unless the coach wants to take a shot early on the shot clock in hope for an offensive rebound). Kaman will be used to anchor the middle and carry the attention of Yao and possibly Scola.

You gotta put in Novak, especially if it's against Houston. They know he's a lights out shooter and they're gonna have their eyes on him...this is just adding to our options. We have he and Gordon at each corner and Thornton going moving around the mid-range to get open.

Worst case scenerio: 1 on 1 coverage and Ricky does the pull up. Not that bad. With Scola watching Novak, there might actually be some space for him to drive in. If the defense collapses, he'll pass out to the open man. If not, he's more than capable of scoring.

I like the idea except if I'm running the rockets I would put T mac or Artest on Ricky because he IS the best of our bunch in one-on-one with good size to pull up.

imo having novac is a good option, but with the scenario set at 12 sec left at home, I would try to go for a tie and if kaman misses, then hope marcus can rebound.

but if at houston, yes. I would put novac as you suggest and spread the floor with capable shooters as well.

Q: would you still have the ball in ricky's hands if artest(whom I think is their best defender) is guarding him with Yao on Novak? what if Scoia was on kaman for some reason(possibly to keep yao out of foul trouble in case of overtime) and TMac on Thornton, which would mean eric is left with alston on him?

dick butane
09-17-2008, 02:23 AM
This is a long shot hypothetical..... McGrady and Yao healthy at the same time? Anyway Thornton or Gordon... we have to get those kids ready to take over the team.

Chronz
09-17-2008, 02:29 AM

I was actually at that game man and he got man handled, I guess he pissed Yao off cuz it wasnt much a contest. Really makes you appreciate the greatness of the ELITE players. Kaman may be a top 5 center but the gap after Yao is pretty steep.

Chronz
09-17-2008, 02:53 AM
And for the topic you attack whoever Tmac is defending. Not so much because hes a bad defender because with the game on the line he really steps it up but because hes no Artest, and Rafer is an excellent defender.

don'tfireNedCo
09-17-2008, 10:13 AM
This is a long shot hypothetical..... McGrady and Yao healthy at the same time? Anyway Thornton or Gordon... we have to get those kids ready to take over the team.

very true...

nomercyclipper
09-17-2008, 11:16 AM
take camby out put novak........set everyone high Al pass down low to kaman....see if the double comes....and work it from there,,,,,see were the double comes from and move the ball correctly or no double and 1 on 1 with yao,,, facing him not posting him

but if BD was in the game,,,,,i dont want anyone touching it besides him,,,to create or for himself

Cracka2HI!
09-17-2008, 01:07 PM
If it's Houston I'm thinking have either Gordon or Davis walk right around Rafer Alston go to the hole and dunk over Yao! Houston has no D if you attack them right! JK, Alston's D improved a lot last year. However I think our best bet might be to try to exploit Alston's D, probably with Gordon because I gotta think Artest is going to be on Ricky and McGrady or Battier on Al. Hmm actually Rafer probably wouldn't even be in there for them...

Chronz
09-17-2008, 03:03 PM
I thought Baron wasnt playing in this scenario

POZUNO
09-17-2008, 03:25 PM
^^He's not. I think nomercy was just giving an example of what if he was.

don'tfireNedCo
09-17-2008, 04:28 PM
And for the topic you attack whoever Tmac is defending. Not so much because hes a bad defender because with the game on the line he really steps it up but because hes no Artest, and Rafer is an excellent defender.

my understanding has been that alston is great at defending against penentration, but not much of a shot blocker. if he uses a set screen properly, I would think EG or whomever with the ball should be able to launch a 3. but only if we are playing away.

my fear of going at T mac is his size, that he can get your shot blocked.

Chronz
09-17-2008, 05:18 PM
Then I guess the answer depends on what play your running, and who your attacking off a pick or screen because every team has their own way of defending that play in clutch situations for each player. I mean if we're really being serious here then we should have the realistic lineup of who the Rockets will throw out there. If Tmac has been a liability all day then he will likely not be out there, same with Yao. But over the course of the year I noticed it was mostly Yao who was sitting out critical late game possessions.

The Rockets would likely have Hayes at the 5, Artest at the 4, Battier on the best wing scorer, Rafer on the best ball handler or PG, and Tmac on the lowest threat. This is when Hayes is at his best, you can try to run a pick and roll but the Rockets will just switch every play and Hayes is quick enough to stay with smaller guards. If not him then your gonna have Artest on you, I think you see the problem that comes with playing in these situations against what will most likely be the best defensive team in the league next year. But then if Hayes is the 5 man Kaman has a huge height advantage so they would likely have Deke and Hayes at the 4, with Artest and Battier on the wings and Rafer or Strawberry at the 1. In which case there is no Tmac and your screwed with the best defensive wing tandem in the NBA.

Thats why I would attack Tmac, he can block your shot but your more likely to create space for the shot against him than you are Rafer. Basically I see it as the likelihood of getting your shot blocked against Rafer 1 on 1 is 0% but the quality of shot will be in the low' 20%, as in if you take nothing but these kind of shots you would shoot 20-24%%, for Tmac he can block your shot about 20% of the time in 1 on 1 situation (about 40% if you try to post him up on the low blocks, he really takes it personal down there) on the perimeter but the quality of shot is much higher (50%?) if he doesnt recover, something which despite his natural talent isnt very good at, its why Kobe always torches him. But yea if both are playing great defense then Tmac will swat your shot back at you like he did to Jason Richardson when he tried to attempt the game winner so I know what your saying, Ive just grown accustomed to a lazy Tmac now.

BUT in this hypothetical then you definitely attack Yao, hes pretty bad when it comes to hedging screens and hes actually improved alot at this but those are plays you run to create a shot for someone else. The Rockets are so good at helping that whoever was running the pick would on most occasions simply swing it to the 3rd perimeter player open at the 3pt line.

So running a Pick for Gordon would most likely lead to a three for Thornton or Ricky

don'tfireNedCo
09-17-2008, 05:50 PM
Then I guess the answer depends on what play your running, and who your attacking off a pick or screen because every team has their own way of defending that play in clutch situations for each player. I mean if we're really being serious here then we should have the realistic lineup of who the Rockets will throw out there. If Tmac has been a liability all day then he will likely not be out there, same with Yao. But over the course of the year I noticed it was mostly Yao who was sitting out critical late game possessions.

The Rockets would likely have Hayes at the 5, Artest at the 4, Battier on the best wing scorer, Rafer on the best ball handler or PG, and Tmac on the lowest threat. This is when Hayes is at his best, you can try to run a pick and roll but the Rockets will just switch every play and Hayes is quick enough to stay with smaller guards. If not him then your gonna have Artest on you, I think you see the problem that comes with playing in these situations against what will most likely be the best defensive team in the league next year. But then if Hayes is the 5 man Kaman has a huge height advantage so they would likely have Deke and Hayes at the 4, with Artest and Battier on the wings and Rafer or Strawberry at the 1. In which case there is no Tmac and your screwed with the best defensive wing tandem in the NBA.

Thats why I would attack Tmac, he can block your shot but your more likely to create space for the shot against him than you are Rafer. Basically I see it as the likelihood of getting your shot blocked against Rafer 1 on 1 is 0% but the quality of shot will be in the low' 20%, as in if you take nothing but these kind of shots you would shoot 20-24%%, for Tmac he can block your shot about 20% of the time in 1 on 1 situation (about 40% if you try to post him up on the low blocks, he really takes it personal down there) on the perimeter but the quality of shot is much higher (50%?) if he doesnt recover, something which despite his natural talent isnt very good at, its why Kobe always torches him. But yea if both are playing great defense then Tmac will swat your shot back at you like he did to Jason Richardson when he tried to attempt the game winner so I know what your saying, Ive just grown accustomed to a lazy Tmac now.

BUT in this hypothetical then you definitely attack Yao, hes pretty bad when it comes to hedging screens and hes actually improved alot at this but those are plays you run to create a shot for someone else. The Rockets are so good at helping that whoever was running the pick would on most occasions simply swing it to the 3rd perimeter player open at the 3pt line.

So running a Pick for Gordon would most likely lead to a three for Thornton or Ricky

I gotta admit, I am not as fluent in basketball as I am in baseball.
that is some deep philosophical breakdown of advanced basketball 301.

good job professor

krazyclipperfan
09-17-2008, 08:55 PM
Clippers vs Rockets 95-97 Clippers down by 2. Location: Staples Center. Its 4th quarter with 12 seconds left on the clock. Baron Davis is sitting on the bench with 6 personal fouls. J-Will is injured and Mobley and Thomas are out with the flu. On court is...

PG-Eric Gordon
SG-Ricky Davis
SF-Al Thornton
PF-Marcus Camby (5 fouls)
C-Chris Kaman (5 fouls)

PG-Rafer Alston
SG-Tracy Mcgrady
SF-Ron Artest
PF-Louis Scola
C-Yao Ming

Do you sit Camby or Kaman and put Novak in to play PF? Do you go for the 2 or the 3? And finally...Who takes the BIG shot???

pull Camby bring in Novak, because this will no allow them to double any of our players. i let Thornton take the last shot. he hit one last year and the second it left his hand you just knew it was in.

Cracka2HI!
09-17-2008, 09:13 PM
Yea that was a great write up Chronz. You should coach man! Mike D should hire you as assistant coach. This thread has got me thinking that Houston is going to be a very interesting match up for us this season.

POZUNO
09-17-2008, 09:39 PM
Yea Chronz, that was nice. I like the way you think man. And yes Houston will be an interesting match up for us this season. Actually I think every team we play will be interesting. We have such a new roster with so much more options. I don't know what MDSr. did, but Santa sure came early this season to bring him some new toys to play with. Can't wait!

don'tfireNedCo
09-17-2008, 09:55 PM
my favorite thing to do of late is to click on pozuno's sig that says 'click this bar to view the full image'

Chronz
09-18-2008, 07:32 AM
I gotta admit, I am not as fluent in basketball as I am in baseball.
that is some deep philosophical breakdown of advanced basketball 301.

good job professor

Just so you dont get the wrong idea, those werent actual %'s I used, just tried to give you an idea of my way of thinking, and yes Ive been clicking her alot. She looks like an asian Jessica Alba. I would attack either Rafer or Mac, depending on who they are guarding and how hot the player has been in the game.

don'tfireNedCo
09-18-2008, 10:28 AM
Just so you dont get the wrong idea, those werent actual %'s I used, just tried to give you an idea of my way of thinking, and yes Ive been clicking her alot. She looks like an asian Jessica Alba. I would attack either Rafer or Mac, depending on who they are guarding and how hot the player has been in the game.

yup. Im glad Im not the only pervert around here:cool:

POZUNO
09-18-2008, 01:24 PM
I knew it. You PERVERTS! Take that **** to the L.A zoo, where you can watch the chimps aggressively make love to one another. lol Just kidding...

Jessica Alba use to be hott. She is way to skinny now.

don'tfireNedCo
09-18-2008, 02:00 PM
haha clicked again.

but she's asian? I though she looked more latina or lightskinned black.
doesn't matter, she's hott!

POZUNO
09-18-2008, 02:09 PM
^^She's Korean/German.