PDA

View Full Version : Bassy Was the Worst Starter in the NBA

jwin2005
09-16-2008, 05:56 PM
I am sorry to admit but Bassy was the worst starter in the NBA last season and it is a shame that we re-signed him. He is probably not even a good back-up in my opinion.

Here is a good article on Bassy
http://nba.fanhouse.com/2008/09/15/was-telfair-the-worst-starter-in-the-nba/

"There are only 31* starting point guards in the league any given moment. An elite class, if you will. The same goes for NBA starters: it's a limited group of the best ballers in the world.**

And it is my opinion that last season, Bassy Telfair was the worst.

Only one player who averaged at least 30 minutes a game finished with a worse PER: Bruce Bowen, who happens to be the second best defender on a perennial top-3 defense. Raja Bell's in the neighborhood, and has a possibly undeserved defensive reputation. But Bell can also string threes at a 40% rate, a vital skill which overwhelms his lack of offensive creativity and box-score potency.

Ben Wallace, Tim Thomas and Jamaal Tinsley figure as Telfair's greatest challengers, in my book. But Wallace can still rebound like Hell. Thomas can score and rebound a bit. Tinsley's divinely awful, but even he racked up for more assists per minute than Bassy, and had similar (which is to say "terrible") shooting rates.

Sorry, Wolves fans. Your point guard sucks. Hope he's the back-up."

We all know our team needs major re-structuring even after getting Love and Miller.

kambion
09-16-2008, 09:49 PM
hater...

randy foye is our starter...

another thing...PER is a subjective stat that is mainly based on points and rebounds, assists too

bassy had a 3 to 1 assist to turnover ratio, and he is very young...thats good enough for a 2 year contract, that came cheap...the kid is a jumpshot and floater away form being a starter...OH and he plays defence.

hes a good backup, if nothing, and worth the cash

and in my opinion, felton is a worse PG than bassy

Preuss-is-right
09-16-2008, 11:56 PM
I am sorry to admit but Bassy was the worst starter in the NBA last season and it is a shame that we re-signed him. He is probably not even a good back-up in my opinion.

Here is a good article on Bassy
http://nba.fanhouse.com/2008/09/15/was-telfair-the-worst-starter-in-the-nba/

"There are only 31* starting point guards in the league any given moment. An elite class, if you will. The same goes for NBA starters: it's a limited group of the best ballers in the world.**

And it is my opinion that last season, Bassy Telfair was the worst.

Only one player who averaged at least 30 minutes a game finished with a worse PER: Bruce Bowen, who happens to be the second best defender on a perennial top-3 defense. Raja Bell's in the neighborhood, and has a possibly undeserved defensive reputation. But Bell can also string threes at a 40% rate, a vital skill which overwhelms his lack of offensive creativity and box-score potency.

Ben Wallace, Tim Thomas and Jamaal Tinsley figure as Telfair's greatest challengers, in my book. But Wallace can still rebound like Hell. Thomas can score and rebound a bit. Tinsley's divinely awful, but even he racked up for more assists per minute than Bassy, and had similar (which is to say "terrible") shooting rates.

Sorry, Wolves fans. Your point guard sucks. Hope he's the back-up."

We all know our team needs major re-structuring even after getting Love and Miller.

So you admit you arnt a Wolves fan.

If this isnt baiting then I dont know what is.

badkins1121
09-17-2008, 12:13 AM
So you admit you arnt a Wolves fan.

If this isnt baiting then I dont know what is.

No the stuff in the quotations is supposedly from an article but i really don't think he is a Wolves fan, he bashes on ALL MN sports teams.

Preuss-is-right
09-17-2008, 01:43 AM
Its a shame that what he said and probably what I'm typing will get deleted because what he said is what we all are thinking.

Preuss-is-right
09-17-2008, 01:52 AM
No the stuff in the quotations is supposedly from an article but i really don't think he is a Wolves fan, he bashes on ALL MN sports teams.

Its half quoted and half him interjecting. I couldnt tell.

But yeah thats jwin for ya. Dude does more flip-flopping than a pancake.

brandonwarne52
09-17-2008, 02:11 AM
In case anyone was interested, there was a counter from someone posted in the article.

http://www.canishoopus.com/2008/9/16/615198/the-gauntlet-thrown-telfai

thesparky33
09-17-2008, 02:30 PM
I actually appreciate this thread, cuz it's not just jwin's opinion, as it is actually an article posted at aolsports, so it's a great thread to have and discussion.

I see the point the guy is trying to make, but since he earlier stated that Telfair was one of the worst players in the NBA last season (although he later retracted that statement), that alone proves that he didnt watch an ounce of Telfair play last season...

Telfair had the 10th best Ast/TO rate in the league, a stat which is arguably the best to use when you are comparing point guards. He was very efficient with the ball, and he improved a lot throughout the season as it progressed, which is something you can't see with season average stats. His last 20 games or so were a lot better than the first 20 of the season, and that is impressive, because it shows that he's improving, especially since he's only 23 years old... he's got a good 4-5 years still left until he's in his prime...

Also, at this time last year, everyone, and I mean EVERYONE, including Wolves fans, were talking about how Telfair was on his way out of the league, and how he will turn into a complete failure. Look at how much public opinion on him has changed in one year! He went from being someone who isnt even good enough be in the league to becoming the worst starting point guard, which IMO would be calling him the 31st best point guard in the league... that sounds like he made quite the improvement if you ask me... :)

And although I am a huge Bassy supporter and fan, I do agree that he was at the lower end of the pack, when it comes to starting PGs... mostly because he isnt a starting point guard, at least not yet. Technically he was a starter last season because of Foye's injury, but I think everyone agrees that he's not starter quality yet. I bet if you put him up against every point guard that's projected to be a 2nd string this upcoming season, he'd be in the top 5...

jwin2005
09-17-2008, 02:59 PM
That is a good analysis Sparky I appreciate how you bring a lot of knowledge and years of following the Wolves into each important conversation... I am trying to stay away from the Odom and Miller trade speculation (that would be terrible for the Wolves and the players involved... Miller actually wants to be a Wolf... very hard to find a player who wants to be a Wolf these days)

But yea I just dont agree with you when you kept thinking Bassy would be our starter because Foye is not a true point guard... and now you tell me Bassy would be a top 5 2nd string PG... Make up your mind!

Bassy is a great backup I can understand that... now is Foye our PG of the future then? Is he capable of keeping up with a Chris Paul, Deron Williams, or Russell Westbrook? I dont think he is but he is the best we got at this time. The Wolves are scrambling at this point and throwing as many players into the roster and hoping something works out. I hope we throw in Livingston too just to test it out. Who knows maybe we can be a better than average team down the road.

Anyways we know how important the PG position is these days in the NBA... Foye needs to be the PG and not Bassy if we want any chance of winning. Foye has shown he can step it up in the 4th quarter and be clutch. McCants needs to show that he can play big minutes even though we have Miller and Brewer. I can see us giving up hope on Brewer since it is so vital for us to have a good scoring two guard which we have never really had...

thesparky33
09-18-2008, 01:06 AM
That is a good analysis Sparky I appreciate how you bring a lot of knowledge and years of following the Wolves into each important conversation... I am trying to stay away from the Odom and Miller trade speculation (that would be terrible for the Wolves and the players involved... Miller actually wants to be a Wolf... very hard to find a player who wants to be a Wolf these days)

But yea I just dont agree with you when you kept thinking Bassy would be our starter because Foye is not a true point guard... and now you tell me Bassy would be a top 5 2nd string PG... Make up your mind!

Bassy is a great backup I can understand that... now is Foye our PG of the future then? Is he capable of keeping up with a Chris Paul, Deron Williams, or Russell Westbrook? I dont think he is but he is the best we got at this time. The Wolves are scrambling at this point and throwing as many players into the roster and hoping something works out. I hope we throw in Livingston too just to test it out. Who knows maybe we can be a better than average team down the road.

Anyways we know how important the PG position is these days in the NBA... Foye needs to be the PG and not Bassy if we want any chance of winning. Foye has shown he can step it up in the 4th quarter and be clutch. McCants needs to show that he can play big minutes even though we have Miller and Brewer. I can see us giving up hope on Brewer since it is so vital for us to have a good scoring two guard which we have never really had...

I wouldnt be opposed to having Telfair be our starting PG, with a lineup that looks like this:
PG: Telfair
SG: Foye
SF: Miller
PF: Love
C : Jefferson

I really dont think RIGHT NOW, he's starting quality, but I think 1-3 more years and he's gonna be one of the better PGs in the league... I really believe he has the potential, and he seems to be on the right track here in Minnesota... I predict down the road, we move Foye back to the 2, and slide Bassy back into the starting spot. I dont imagine it will be this season, possibly next season depending on how much he improves...

Rome
09-21-2008, 09:42 PM
I wouldnt be opposed to having Telfair be our starting PG, with a lineup that looks like this:
PG: Telfair
C : Jefferson

I really dont think RIGHT NOW, he's starting quality, but I think 1-3 more years and he's gonna be one of the better PGs in the league... I really believe he has the potential, and he seems to be on the right track here in Minnesota... I predict down the road, we move Foye back to the 2, and slide Bassy back into the starting spot. I dont imagine it will be this season, possibly next season depending on how much he improves...

That would be my starting lineup on 2k9 if I started a franchise with the Twolves(I kill it with Foye at the 2)

Bassy is my favorite player but I haven't gotten to see him play much in the NBA yet. I agree he has the potential to be a Top PG in the league in 2-3 years. Not a lot of High Schoolers can make the transition from HS to the NBA and succeed off the bat, especially for an undersized Point. Being traded twice didn't help his development much either. I think it was a good move to sign him for 2 years. He's been in the League for awhile now and is finally able to call Minnesota home. Him being fully adjusted to the system and more work on his J and he Could show great signs of becoming worth the lottery pick 4 years ago..

It would be a great move if you guys picked up Livingston. When he's at 100% he could be a solid backup and if Bassy doesn't improve and become the starter in 2 years, another option is keep Foye at the 2 and if Livingston can get back to his old form have a lineup like this:

PG: Livingston
C: Jefferson

And the addition of Livingston would just add another teammate Bassy is Familar with from the 04 mcdees all American game(Jefferson, Brewer, Livingston).

I'm excited to watch your guys team this year and will be secretly rootin for em. Unless they play the Suns of course :)

IowaAJ
09-22-2008, 11:01 PM
I like your lineup Sparky but I really think Ryan Gomes should be a starter for us this year. He earned the spot with his play last year. I don't know I just really like how he plays and the combination he brings to the court of inside and the ability to shoot from the outside.

Pg Foye
SG Miller
SF Gomes
PF Love
C Jefferson

IowaAJ
09-22-2008, 11:04 PM
If this guy who wrote this article knew anything he would know that many point guards have played better later in there career. I don't remember what article it was but Telfairs numbers were very similar to Nash, and Billups when they were at that point of there career.