PDA

View Full Version : 3-PTS: Tmac's African Documentary

Chronz
09-16-2008, 04:02 PM
http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/movies/la-et-mcgrady16-2008sep16,0,6995290.story
http://www.latimes.com/media/photo/2008-09/42371675.jpg

Teammate Dikembe Mutombo helped spark McGrady's concern for Africa's dispossessed. McGrady contributed to a Congolese hospital Mutombo opened last summer, and soon thereafter McGrady saw Luol Deng (a Chicago Bulls player whose family is Sudanese) talking about the steep cost of the civil war, which has killed hundreds of thousands of Sudanese.

McGrady organized a visit, working with documentary filmmaker and photographer Josh Rothstein and humanitarian John Prendergast of the Enough Project. Yet it's not simply what McGrady observes during his trip that anchors "3 Points," which was just completed and is now in search of a broadcast or theatrical distributor. Rather, it's how he reacts to the tragedy that he witnesses: He doesn't really know what to do.

After encountering children playing soccer without a field, McGrady says he'll pay $1,000 for a new pitch only to be told that green grass isn't really the refugees' greatest need.

"A lot of the film has to deal with his being out of his element," says Rothstein. "And he realized that was maybe the most important part of the trip for him."

McGrady's journey was both personal and emotional. To visit the barren camps, he had to forsake any number of usual niceties. That included McGrady's having to sleep in a tent for the first time. His trying to get along without air conditioning. Eating food that wasn't prepared in a four-star restaurant. As McGrady's wife, CleRenda Harris, notes in the film, "Tracy is definitely stepping out of his comfort zone."

But it wasn't all such trivial concerns. He had to worry about land mines. Listen to stories of rape, murder, torture. And his eyes were quickly opened.

"People are really hesitant about expressing that they don't know something -- but what's the big deal?" McGrady says in an interview to discuss the film. "I'm not ashamed about that at all. And my going out and saying, 'I don't know a lot about this' will make people feel OK that they don't know about it, either."

Adds his longtime manager and assistant, Elissa Grabow, who accompanied McGrady on his Africa trip: "This is not to market his brand. It's not about that, but about what I don't know, and that I am not afraid to say that I don't know."

Its very refreshing to get some positive news about NBA players during the offseason for a change, Ive always loved Tmac the person and this is one of the reasons.

I guess the video is being shown to NBA players for donations and support, Derek Fisher and Jermaine Oneal (Hes alway has Tmac's back) have already contributed 75,000. I hope someone distributes this film.

NYKnickFanatic
09-16-2008, 04:11 PM
How sweet.

JOSETHEALLSTAR
09-18-2008, 11:27 PM
nice :]

Beno7500
09-19-2008, 12:20 AM
cool

prash
09-19-2008, 12:21 AM
if anyone finds the video online, be sure to post a link.. i wouldn't mind watching it.

DreamShaker
09-19-2008, 01:06 AM
T-Mac seems like he has a big heart....

dre1990
09-19-2008, 01:35 AM
AWWWWWWWWWWWW how cute

Lakersfan2483
09-19-2008, 04:00 AM
I am glad to see T-Mac using his celebrity to make a difference.