PDA

View Full Version : Raising money....

rico
09-16-2008, 04:35 AM
In comparison what is the amount of money raised (MONTHLY) for something like presidential candidacy and curing cancer/aids etc.. ?

I always see headlines like 'obama raised 52 million this month' 'mccain 47 million'

Does it really take all that money to run for presidency? To me it seems like we would be well more off if all that money raised was used for like better energy/fuel, medical breakthroughs. etc....

am i alone in thinking this?

cambovenzi
09-16-2008, 05:29 AM
not too sure how it works.
but the money has to go somewhere..
employees of all kinds of places.

and there is fundraisers for that stuff all the time.

i think getting the presidents info out there is pretty important which is why people donate.

ari1013
09-16-2008, 06:55 AM
It's not like that money vanishes. Obama and McCain each command an army of field workers who canvass areas; a team of pollsters; writers; media relations people; etc.

And when you have to pay thousands of people, the costs add up. Not to mention the $2-3 million per week they're each spending on television ads (that figure seems to have risen since the RNC ended).

And as for the fundraising, yes, both had their best months ever. Obama raised $66 million for his campaign. McCain raised $44 for the RNC -- who can spend half of that money directly on McCain (or he can match for the full amount).

WES445
09-16-2008, 07:05 AM
It's not like that money vanishes. Obama and McCain each command an army of field workers who canvass areas; a team of pollsters; writers; media relations people; etc.

And when you have to pay thousands of people, the costs add up. Not to mention the $2-3 million per week they're each spending on television ads (that figure seems to have risen since the RNC ended).

And as for the fundraising, yes, both had their best months ever. Obama raised $66 million for his campaign. McCain raised $44 for the RNC -- who can spend half of that money directly on McCain (or he can match for the full amount).
Not mention alot of pizzas and donuts for their volunteers.:D

DenButsu
09-16-2008, 07:14 AM
Yeah, rico, the cost of a presidential campaign is truly obscene... But I have made a couple donations to Obama's campaign.

It really reminds me of playing poker, though. Each side keeps raising the other, and neither side is gonna fold, so they just keep piling it on till they're all in.

rico
09-16-2008, 07:46 AM
Yeah, rico, the cost of a presidential campaign is truly obscene... But I have made a couple donations to Obama's campaign.

It really reminds me of playing poker, though. Each side keeps raising the other, and neither side is gonna fold, so they just keep piling it on till they're all in.

meh i just dont like the way that works. i know things can be expensive etc... but that's a lot of money. to me that could be used on more important things.

DenButsu
09-16-2008, 08:04 AM
meh i just dont like the way that works. i know things can be expensive etc... but that's a lot of money. to me that could be used on more important things.

I couldn't agree more. The system is totally ****ed up. But as it exists now, you either play to win and raise megabucks, or you're just a wannabe watching from the sidelines. It truly is all or nothing.