PDA

View Full Version : Hornets expect more from Wright

Sports Illustrator
09-15-2008, 10:05 PM
As a rookie last season, Hornets forward Julian Wright played in 57 games and averaged 3.7 points and 2.1 rebounds. If Wright duplicates that performance this season, Hornets Coach Byron Scott will not be impressed. Scott expects more. If Wright cannot deliver, he could get considerably less playing time than the 11.2 minutes he averaged last season. "He understands what I want from him," Scott said this week. "He understands the type of pressure that I am putting on him. It's all up to him. I'm not going to give him minutes -- he'll have to earn them." With the Hornets projected to be one of the top teams in the Western Conference, Wright has increased his expectations. Wright, 6 feet 8, was the Hornets' first-round pick in 2007 from Kansas. After a slow start, he adapted to the NBA by midseason and took minutes from veteran swingman Rasual Butler. Wright can handle the ball, drive to the basket and effectively defend. The Hornets are going to need Wright to maximize those skills, because Scott does not want to depend on only top free-agent signee James Posey to carry the second unit.

From New Orleans Times-Picayune (http://www.nola.com/hornets/t-p/?/base/sports-3/1221197635308420.xml&coll=1)

PhxGiant
09-17-2008, 02:06 PM
If he stays hungry then he will earn the minutes. He can do a lot of things on the floor, and if he comes into his own him and Posey will be a good defensive duo off the bench.

_Sn1P3r_
09-17-2008, 07:46 PM
Yup ^^ And defense wins championships.