PDA

View Full Version : Nuggets' man in the middle: Nene

DenButsu
09-15-2008, 02:00 AM
FINALLY, an update on Nene's summer, his health, his rehab, his conditioning and training.

And the news sounds good. :pray:

Nuggets' man in the middle: Nene

http://extras.mnginteractive.com/live/media/site36/2008/0912/20080912__20080914_CC01_SP14BKNNUGS~p1.JPG

Count Nene among those who were steamed when the Nuggets traded Marcus Camby to the Los Angeles Clippers. The irony is that the trade of Nene's best friend on the team has also been a reason for the Brazilian to smile. It was, in large part, a giant leap of faith in him.

"I'm gonna be honest, I was very angry during that time," he said. "First of all, he's like my brother. He helped me a lot."...

Aside from money, the choice to make Nene the featured player in the middle was the unspoken part of the Camby trade. The Nuggets are relying on Nene as their center for now and the future. Within the organization there is a belief Nene is an all-star talent, if he can stay healthy and refine his game.

After beating testicular cancer and coming back from numerous injuries, Nene heads into the third year of a six-year, $60 million contract knowing he has to deliver if the Nuggets are going to improve.

With training camp set to start Sept. 30, Nene promises to be ready. He has spent all summer preparing.

"I've been though a lot of things, the injuries, the chemotherapy," Nene said. "To be able to be fine through the season, I had to sacrifice my summer and be in shape early to prevent all that stuff. So that's what I did."

In past years, Nene spent much of the offseason in Brazil. This summer, he went for just 15 days in July.

"I know I was going to miss a lot of people in Brazil, but I know I have a lot of good people here, too," Nene said. "And for my game, I invested in myself. That's going to be an advantage in the future."...

Nene said he still feels the effects of chemotherapy.

"It still bothers me a little bit," Nene said. "But I work hard and I feel better. I want that (cancer) to get out of my body. I feel better, but sometimes my stomach feels painful when I'm doing a lot of work or exercise.

"But that's why I came (back) early, to get accustomed to all of that stuff."

He is not expected to have any more chemo, but will have checkups every three months. His weight has fluctuated because of the chemotherapy, but currently he's at 269.

In January 2007, the Nuggets put Nene on a diet and he lost 40 pounds. He entered the playoffs at 250 pounds, which he later said was too light for his position.

Nene, 6-feet-11, insists he can play at his current weight. Teammate Chris Andersen, who has been playing against Nene in pickup sessions, vouches for that.

"That's why I come in here and go against him, to try to push him a little bit more," Andersen said. "And I'm very, very impressed. It's hard for me sometimes because he's just so strong. He's definitely going to be able to take that center role."

...denverpost (http://www.denverpost.com/nuggets/ci_10452669)

I tried to chop this article down to the answers to the questions a lot of us have had about Nene's current status. But I'd definitely recommend reading the whole thing, so click that link and check it out.

AIMelo=KillaDUO
09-15-2008, 03:14 AM
It's nice to see tha big fella's putting in that extra effort to better himself as well as the team. Hopefully it will rub off onto some of our other players to work that much harder... Nene's shown signs of brilliance througout his career, I hope his injury-prone years are now behind him and he won't look back. When it's all set and done, I wanna see Nene being pretty dominant, He won't be Shaq dominant but, I want him to be LIKE a Shaq.

Nice to see he's doing well :clap:

C-Dub
09-15-2008, 07:12 PM
i think he is better than shaq, only shorter, lol. ya think about how all the young players have been developing this offseason, melo, smith and nene for sure have worked extra hard...... i hope it pays off

AIMelo=KillaDUO
09-15-2008, 08:02 PM
Yeah Ne's better than Shaq now! But, I'm talkin about Shaq in tha mid-90's

C-Dub
09-15-2008, 11:17 PM
shaq in the 90's who? haha, nenes got the potential if he is healthy, just like smith and melo. shaq was good though, thats only cuz hes the size of a bear compared to anyone but Ming out there

AIMelo=KillaDUO
09-16-2008, 01:10 AM
Which is exactly how nene is... I think he has it in him.

BADizzleBoY
09-16-2008, 06:56 PM
After beating testicular cancer and coming back from numerous injuries, Nene heads into the third year of a six-year, $60 million contract knowing he has to deliver if the Nuggets are going to improve.
With training camp set to start Sept. 30, Nene promises to be ready. He has spent all summer preparing.

"I've been though a lot of things, the injuries, the chemotherapy," Nene said. "To be able to be fine through the season, I had to sacrifice my summer and be in shape early to prevent all that stuff. So that's what I did."

Just a thing to be excited for this season. :)

http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_10452669

C-Dub
09-16-2008, 09:23 PM
Ill guarentee that everyone is excited about Nene being back, I am for sure

Raider Front
09-29-2008, 11:38 PM
They're a good team

DenButsu
09-29-2008, 11:54 PM
Another Nene article:

Nene savors chance to be a starter
With Camby gone, he will take over as Nuggets center after playing four straight seasons as a backup

For four straight years, Nene showed up for training camp in line to be a backup. Or he just waited until power forward Kenyon Martin or center Marcus Camby got hurt.

Well, there's no longer any need to wait. For the first time since 2003, Nene will show up Tuesday for a camp as a definite Nuggets starter.

"Now coach has no option," Nene quipped about Nuggets head man George Karl, who didn't start Nene unless Camby or Martin was absent.

But the Nuggets traded Camby to the Clippers in July. Enter Nene as his replacement at center.

Of course, to stay there, Nene must remain healthy. He has missed a staggering 165 games during the past three seasons, including 66 last season, 37 because of testicular cancer.

But Nene, who returned from his cancer to play three late regular-season contests and three playoff games, said he's close to being fully healthy. There have been only some minor expected complications.

"I had a lot of pains in my stomach when I do a lot of exercise, but then I started getting better," Nene, who underwent testicular cancer surgery in January, said of working out in Denver throughout the summer. "That I can't control. It's a year to have things get out of my system."

The Nuggets also will need Martin to remain healthy as they seek to make up for the loss of Camby and forward

Eduardo Najera, who bolted to New Jersey as a free agent. Martin, who played in 71 games last season after appearing in only two in 2006-07 because of knee surgery, has slimmed down and said he hasn't "felt this good in a while."

Martin called the Camby trade "a shock" but said "the season is right around the corner, so we've got to move on."

The Nuggets will move on with Nene and Martin as the starting post players. Karl hopes neither goes down again.

"I can't tell you after Nene and Kenyon who's going to play," said Karl, who added that Camby's departure will result only in significant changes on defense and that defense will be the emphasis in camp.rockymountainnews (http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/sep/26/nene-savors-opportunity-to-be-a-nuggets-starter/)

IBleedPurple
10-01-2008, 07:46 PM
We REALLY need the big fella to come with some solid play all year.

We went from the big guys being our strength, to having a lack of depth. Especially since Hunter is kept in jail on the bench the entire season...but I expect that to change

Good updates. Need to jump in the standings early this year, no more comin from behind