PDA

View Full Version : Niners do what they do against Seattle

Crombiestudd6
09-14-2008, 10:54 PM
Niners coach Mike Nolan said he knew the Seahawks weren't going to change what they try to do offensively. So that meant that the 49ers weren't going to change what they do.

If you recall when the 49ers beat the Seahawks up here two years ago, Manny Lawson rarely got on the field. The 49ers played the entire game in their "sub" defensive package. They employ a fifth defensive back in place of Lawson.

"That's what we do against Seattle," Lawson said.

Was it effective? Well, it certainly makes the 49ers vulnerable against the run. The Seahawks rushed for 169 yards on 34 carries (5.0-yard average).

The 49ers thought they could play coverage and still get to the Seattle QB Matt Hasselbeck with a four-man rush. The 49ers' only sack came on Michael Lewis' blitz. The 49ers rarely got any pressure on Hasselbeck. However, Hasselbeck still managed to complete just 50 percent of his passes (18 of 36). The Seahawks averaged just 4.9 yards per pass play (that's not very good), and the 49ers had two interceptions.

"Seattle's got an outstanding offensive scheme," Nolan said. "It would be foolish for them to change and try to go to something else because of some injuries. What I thought they did do effectively was use their young tight end (John Carlson) several times over the middle. We had had him covered, but he still did a very good job."

Carlson caught six passes for 78 yards.

Lawson, a first-round pick in 2006, turned into a very high-profile special-teams player today. Lawson did not get onto the field for one snap of defense. Instead, he took part all special-teams plays.

"When we came in on Wednesday, I was told that the package we'd be in that I wasn't going to see much time on defense," Lawson said. "So I said, 'Put me on every special teams there is,' and that's what they did."

Lawson was the team's special-teams captain for the game.

He made an impact in that area, too. Lawson made two tackles on special team and also blocked a punt. However, something strange happened after his blocked punt. The Seahawks' Jordan Babineaux picked it up and advanced it 24 yards for a first down.

"That's a first for me," said Lawson, who blocked seven kicks in his career at North Carolina State. "I turned around and saw someone with other color jersey running with the ball.

"Knowing I was going to be playing a lot of special teams, I just wanted to make as many plays as I can to help my team out."

Isaac Bruce, who opened his 49ers career with no catches, bounced back in a big way. Bruce caught four passes for 153 yards - the 10th most in a single game in his career. His 33-yard reception in overtime helped the 49ers set up the winning touchdown.

"First, it was a great call by coach (Mike) Martz," quarterback J.T. O'Sullivan said. "Second, it was a great adjustment by Isaac. That is not the exact way that the play comes out, but we talked about a certain look and what to do. Isaac made the perfect adjustment right at the right time."

His 153 receiving yards were the most he's had in a game since he had 170 yards on Nov. 29, 2004, against the Green Bay Packers.

Bruce was not available for comment after the game.

INJURY REPORT: Right tackle Jonas Jennings had two false-start penalties and a holding call in the first half. He did not play in the second half with what the team announced was a right shoulder sprain. His status for next week's game against the Detroit Lions is uncertain. Veteran Barry Sims entered the game and provided an upgrade at right tackle in the second half.

Safety Dashon Goldson started the game, but sustained a first-half knee sprain and did not return. Cornerback Shawntae Spencer had a left knee sprain late in the game and did not return. Also, linebacker Patrick Willis missed most of one series with a leg injury. He returned to the game and appeared to be fine afterward.

The 49ers were less-than forthcoming about the severity of those injuries. Hopefully, we'll have a better idea tomorrow.

The 49ers showed resiliency, for a change.

"I think just the mentality of this group is that it understands that this is a tough place to play and we knew that we were going to have to come out and score some points," O'Sullivan said. "We realized it was just the first quarter, but it is a tribute to this team how it was able to fight though obviously not the best start."

O'Sullivan became the first 49ers quarterback to throw for more than 300 yards since Tim Rattay had 417 yards passing on Oct. 10, 2004, against the Arizona Cardinals. O'Sullivan, making just his second NFL start, completed 20 of 32 passes for 321 yards with one touchdown and no interceptions. His passer rating was 106.4.

This is what Bryant Johnson said about O'Sullivan: "He's a commander out there. J.T. takes control of the huddle. The guys look up to him and expect him to take over and lead us down the field."

After Joe Nedney missed the kick at the end of regulation, he said 15 to 20 teammates and coaches approached him to offer encouragement.

"They were all patting me on the butt, saying, 'Hey, I know that you'll get the next one,'" Nedney said. "I knew it, too. To know that my teammates have the confidence in me to come up and talk to me in a situation like that means a lot. I would rather have that than me standing on one sideline and my entire team on the other side - stereotypical leave-the-kicker-alone stuff."

Nedney kicked the game-winning 40-yard FG with 10:20 remaining in OT.

:cool: from matt maiocco

Crombiestudd6
09-14-2008, 10:55 PM
49ers' report card for Sept. 14th

By MATT MAIOCCO
PRESS DEMOCRAT

Published: Sunday, September 14, 2008 at 4:27 p.m.
Last Modified: Sunday, September 14, 2008 at 7:12 p.m.
Following each 49ers' game, Press Democrat writer Matt Maiocco grades various aspects of the team's performance.

ELAINE THOMPSON / AP Seahawks’ Julius Jones, right, scores as 49ers’ Michael Lewis tries to get a hand on him in the first quarter Sunday, Sept. 14, 2008, in Seattle.Here are the grades for Sunday's overtime victory over the Seahawks in Seattle:

QB: A

J.T. O’Sullivan could not have been much better. He took charge of this game. He completed 20 of 32 passing attempts and produced 321 yards and a touchdown. He showed a lot in his second NFL start.

RB: C-plus

Frank Gore’s first-quarter fumble was turned into a touchdown. He had 99 total yards, including 38 receiving.

Gore’s best play might have been the blitz he picked up in overtime that allowed O’Sullivan time to throw deep to Isaac Bruce.

WR: A-minus

Bruce had 153 yards receiving on four receptions. Bryant Johnson also had a strong performance with six catches for 78 yards. It wasn’t a good day for Vernon Davis, who was held without a catch.

OL: C-plus

Things got a lot better for the line after Jonas Jennings left the game at halftime due to a reported shoulder injury. Barry Sims did a good job at right tackle. The line had some difficulty with the Seahawks’ pass rush, but O’Sullivan also held the ball too long on occasion.

DL: D

The line was unable to get any semblance of pressure on Matt Hasselbeck, which allowed him to sit back and complete some passes down the field. The 49ers thought they’d be able to get to Hasselbeck with a four-man rush, and they were wrong.

LB: A-minus

Patrick Willis made the game-changing play when he returned an interception 86 yards for a touchdown. Willis had a game-high eight tackles, and Takeo Spikes worked into a prominent role and played pretty well, too. The 49ers never played three linebackers in this game.

DB: B

Walt Harris had one interception and was responsible for another when he deflected a ball that Willis picked off.

Nate Clements forced a fumble. Michael Lewis recovered a fumble and also produced the team’s only sack.

Special teams: C

Joe Nedney missed one FG attempt at the end of regulation, but redeemed himself in overtime. Andy Lee and the coverage unit had a net average of 29.8 yards on four punts. The unit also botched downing the ball at the 1-yard line early in the game.

Coaching/overall: B

It was not perfect by any means, but as Mike Nolan said, “The only stat that matters is winning, and we won.” The 49ers played very conservatively on defense, choosing not to send much pressure at Hasselbeck. That strategy is debatable, but the 49ers won the game in a hostile environment.

974life
09-14-2008, 11:15 PM
O was a D- at best. and the D line was ugly F

jbeezy
09-14-2008, 11:22 PM
O a D- WTF?? You must be refferimg to the oline because the offense was very good especially against a very good Seattle D.

bornFrisco49er
09-14-2008, 11:32 PM
im really ecstatic we won..i will soak it in like our team will tonight..but come monday morning comes preparation/excitement going against detroit..we should win this game because theyre struggling..season is still really early but once again a good game for our niners overall..bring on those lions!

bizmess13
09-14-2008, 11:47 PM
watching the 1st quarter of both niner games was very painful

at least with more experience they will stop those fundamental mistakes

horry1ur
09-15-2008, 12:27 AM
watching the 1st quarter of both niner games was very painful

at least with more experience they will stop those fundamental mistakes

They actually did pretty good against AZ if i remember correctly

yeolde9erfan
09-15-2008, 12:28 AM
i have to say i am happy with the w but i have to say VD is an over paid blocking tight end. his alligator arm miss on the one pass thrown to him is a testament to it. yeah he would have got clocked but that is what separates great players fr0m mediocre ones and he is mediocre at best and not worthy of a 6th overall pick

Darren5000
09-15-2008, 12:47 AM
And yet we keep Mike Nolan. Think I'll go get drunk now and have a good cry that my team is off to Los Angeles.:(

hyphy king 88
09-15-2008, 12:56 AM
And yet we keep Mike Nolan. Think I'll go get drunk now and have a good cry that my team is off to Los Angeles.:(

Dude.. Your weird..

jsand3030
09-15-2008, 01:11 AM

this fool has been all over maiocco's blog trying to rile up everyone and i even found him amusing people on the espn blog for the game.. dont pay him any attention.

Darren5000
09-15-2008, 01:15 AM
this fool has been all over maiocco's blog trying to rile up everyone and i even found him amusing people on the espn blog for the game.. dont pay him any attention.

What are you talking about? There's a lot of people on Maiocco's blog, and on ESPN. I hear on Maiocco's blog, there's a lot of trolling and it's easy to put up a fake name. I mean..>John McCain really doesn't go on a blog does he, or Sarah Palin?

I haven't been anywhere. Just let me wallow in misery that we're going to be the LA 49ers now. There is no SF 49ers, just LA Rams right now. Way to go, Kurt Warner, I mean JT, or whoever you think youare.:cry:

bigmac8675
09-15-2008, 01:33 AM

What are you talking about? There's a lot of people on Maiocco's blog, and on ESPN. I hear on Maiocco's blog, there's a lot of trolling and it's easy to put up a fake name. I mean..>John McCain really doesn't go on a blog does he, or Sarah Palin?

I haven't been anywhere. Just let me wallow in misery that we're going to be the LA 49ers now. There is no SF 49ers, just LA Rams right now. Way to go, Kurt Warner, I mean JT, or whoever you think youare.:cry:

Dude... wtf are you still going on about? The SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS played a good game and got a win.... and you are calling them the LA Rams and calling JTO Kurt Warner? You need to calm down buddy..... just realize that the 49ers are starting to play some better ball and get over yourself.

Baller1
09-15-2008, 01:49 AM
im really ecstatic we won..i will soak it in like our team will tonight..but come monday morning comes preparation/excitement going against detroit..we should win this game because theyre struggling..season is still really early but once again a good game for our niners overall..bring on those lions!

Is it in Detroit or San Fran?

bigmac8675
09-15-2008, 02:03 AM
^^^^Its in SF.... I am totally going with my buddy who is a huge Lions fan, should be a fun game.

Darren5000
09-15-2008, 03:07 AM
^^^^Its in SF.... I am totally going with my buddy who is a huge Lions fan, should be a fun game.

Could you get a Fire Nolan chant going please?:(

Baller1
09-15-2008, 08:49 PM

Oh thanks. In all honesty, I think you have a chance at wiping the Lions off the map. They look abismal. You guys better crank up the pass protection though, because I'm serious... the Hawks were dominating the O-Line and getting to JTO like crazy.

974life
09-16-2008, 04:51 PM
you just never know. the lions have the talent, but like us they fail to put all together. if we don't get pressure on kitna that offense could post big numbers, but they seem to be playing unmotivated.

NorCalzimm
09-16-2008, 04:56 PM

Your full of crap! It doesn't matter what the name is- Its your stupid posts- fire nolan chant, smith 09 and get rid of JTO. Do you really think we don't know its you. You could use 35 different names and we could pick you out easily. Go get drunk and cry your way to LA. We'll all be right here cheering on our BADASS 49ers with JTO at helm MF!

smark919
09-16-2008, 06:25 PM
Can anyone tell me what happened to Vernon Davis this week? i have him on my fantasy team and he got ZERO points. i was very upset. I'm not a 49er fan, so i didn't watch the game. Was he beat up? hurt? or just didn't get any thrown his way.

thanks

NorCalzimm
09-16-2008, 06:36 PM
Can anyone tell me what happened to Vernon Davis this week? i have him on my fantasy team and he got ZERO points. i was very upset. I'm not a 49er fan, so i didn't watch the game. Was he beat up? hurt? or just didn't get any thrown his way.

thanks

Well he had an opportunity for a big play but gave up because he was gonna get his bell rang if he caught the ball. Other than that he wasn't used all that much. He had a lot of blocking assignments. I have him starting on my fantasy team as well- With his potential, i'm not about to bench him though.

Baller1
09-16-2008, 07:58 PM
you just never know. the lions have the talent, but like us they fail to put all together. if we don't get pressure on kitna that offense could post big numbers, but they seem to be playing unmotivated.

That's true. If you guys run the 4-2-5 (I think that's what it was) that you ran against us, you could have some serious problems. But, I still think 49ers will win, even though I'm praying that they lose. haha

Darren5000
09-16-2008, 09:21 PM
Your full of crap! It doesn't matter what the name is- Its your stupid posts- fire nolan chant, smith 09 and get rid of JTO. Do you really think we don't know its you. You could use 35 different names and we could pick you out easily. Go get drunk and cry your way to LA. We'll all be right here cheering on our BADASS 49ers with JTO at helm MF!

First off, and I am a George Lopez fan, chico, don't be accusing what you can't back up. I can dispute any time, like from 3pm to now, I was taking a nap. I wasn't near a computer. The computer wasn't on. And I've seen people on there posing as oneniner, Oneniner, shobbrobb, Sarah Palin, John McCain. Not my fault Matt Maiocco lets trolls run wild on his blog, or some people can't take a VIEWPOINT about a DUMB football team that chooses to CHEAT like the pats, adn I can make that claim anytime I want to for I'm a fan and you don't seem to be. When we beat some real teams on the schedule, only then I might call JT the man, or maybe I want something bigger out of JT. Maybe I wanted something out of Montana and oh, he gave me a SUPERBOWL!

And yeah, 49erGenius, 49erLloyd happen to be friends of mine. Friends, you know, amigos, buddy, association. You think I'm a lonely old hermit at home? Get real buddy. I got more friends then you'd ever have in your lifetime.

And how about some people on Maiocco trying to pose as me? You think that's funny? Tell you what, why don't you make a post and let's see if somebody impersonates you on Maiocco's blog? Thank goodness on a forum like this, impersonation will never occur.

I'm like a Santa Claus as I know who says what.

Oh yeah, there's even RAIDER trolls showing up! I mean, a Raider Nation, Al Davis...want me to paste in the times since I seem to be a little liar in your eyes?