PDA

View Full Version : Next Season's Rookie Predictions

hockeypro68
09-14-2008, 08:29 PM
This season's rookie class promises to be one of the most talented in years. Derrick Rose, Michael Beasley, Greg Oden, OJ Mayo... I mean no one would be surprised if Any of those 4 rookies won ROY. On top of that, several of the lottery picks from last year who aren't even being mentioned yet for Rookie of the Year have the potential to win it.

So what my boredom, curiosity, and anticipation led to was this... a thread where you predict the stat line of your favorite Rookie or rookies, and perhaps throw some arguments out there for who you think will have the biggest impact in the NBA next season, and win ROY.

1st Pick: Derrick Rose. Predicted stat line: 14pt, 3reb, 6ast, 1.5stl. As you're probably aware, there are a Lot of expectations on this kid. The 6'3'' PG out of Memphis will be given the keys to the Chicago Bulls, and asked to lead them back to the promised land, although I don't think he'll be able to do so too easily. Running the point in the NBA is no small task, so regardless of how talented Rose is, this will be a big challenge for him.

1st Pick 2007: Greg Oden. Predicted stat line: 12pt, 11reb, 2ast, 2blk. I know I'm not the only NBA fan who was IMMENSELY disappointed by Oden's season ending injury last year. Here we have a guy deemed a "once in a decade player", who was supposed to come in and shake up the NBA, only to miss the entire season due to microfracture surgery on his knee. I just hope this injury doesn't set Greg back, or hinder what could be a great career in the NBA.

2nd Pick: Michael Beasley. Predicted stat line: 17pt, 7reb, 2ast, 1.1stl, 1.3blk. I believe Beasley will be the most productive player in this season's Rookie class. The 6'10'' forward out of Kansas state, along with Shawn Marion and Dwyane Wade, hope to lead their team back to the playoffs next season, after finishing with the worst record in the NBA last year.

3rd Pick: O.J. Mayo. Predicted stat line: 15pt, 4reb, 3ast, 1.5stl Here's a guy who's been basically training to play in the NBA his entire life. That being said... the comparisons and parallels to Kobe need to stop. Mayo joins a very young, talented, promising team in Memphis, playing alongside Mike Conley, Rudy Gay, Marc Gasol, Hamed Haddadi, and possibly even Zach Randolph, should the trade between Memphis and New York ever go through...

7th Pick: Eric Gordon. Predicted stat line: 14pt, 3reb, 2ast, 1.3stl The outcome of Eric Gordon's rookie season depends largely on how much PT he will get, and how productive he can be. I feel that once he earns the full time starting role, which I hope he'll do sometime before the Allstar break, he will blossom into a great scorer in the league. The parallels to Ben Gordon are rather interesting...both undersized 2guards, both pure scorers and excellent shooters.

11th Pick: Jerryd Bayless. Predicted stat line: 11pt, 2reb, 4ast, 1.6stl In my opinion, this pick was the steal of the Lottery. Most Mock Drafts had Bayless going in the top 5. 3rd most of the time. Yet he slipped all the way to the 11th pick, and ends up in Portland where they really don't need any more young, promising talent. Add the near 30ppg Bayless put up in Summer League, and you see how much potential the kid has. My main concern is the amount of PT Jerryd will get in Portland, where there are Plenty of young, talented players ready to contribute on that team.

So all in all, I'd like to know your thoughts on some of the incoming rookies, their stats, and your prediction for ROY. Also feel free to point out rookies I haven't mentioned that you feel may have a big impact next year.

oshea225
09-14-2008, 08:42 PM
im a bit biased b/c im a heat fan, but i think that even if i wasnt i'd have to go with beasley. if not beasley, i'd go oden.

hockeypro68
09-14-2008, 10:18 PM
I had to vote Beasley too. I think he'll be the most productive rookie, and I believe the Heat are more likely to make the playoffs than the Bulls, Blazers, Grizzlies, Clippers, etc. Although Durant won ROY and his team was abysmal, so I think anyone is capable.

Kyben36
09-14-2008, 11:09 PM
I just all depends guys. If rose can lead us to the playoffs like horford did last year, I think he will have a shot. Most likely though it will be the player who gets his team the Farthest. If beasley gets them to the Playoffs he will probably win it. If Rose can pull a bulls team out of the Gutter with only 1 good player on the team to help him, He will surely win ROY.

Nighthawk
09-15-2008, 12:10 AM
Oden all the way baby.

cmellofan15
09-15-2008, 12:17 AM
I don't know why but Mayo!!!!!

RocketsRule
09-15-2008, 12:43 AM
I think it's Beasly, IMO.

He is the most NBA ready along with Mayo. He can stretch the defense with his killer jump shot and can also score with his back to the basket. He plays solid defense as well, and rebounds well, especially for his height. Not to mention he most likely will be the number 3 option on the team, behind Dwayne Wade and Shawn Marion.

Fireworld
09-15-2008, 12:46 AM
Beasly

Beno7500
09-15-2008, 12:47 AM
Michael Beasley

hockeypro68
09-15-2008, 06:30 AM
I just all depends guys. If rose can lead us to the playoffs like horford did last year, I think he will have a shot. Most likely though it will be the player who gets his team the Farthest. If beasley gets them to the Playoffs he will probably win it. If Rose can pull a bulls team out of the Gutter with only 1 good player on the team to help him, He will surely win ROY.

Rose seems like the kind of player who can lead a team. He has the skills to be great, it'll just be a matter of putting everything together, adjusting to the NBA tempo, style, and size. And staying healthy & constantly practicing and improving his game. I can see him being an allstar in this league not too long from now.... just maybe not as soon as next season like he claims he will.

Bound To Lose
09-15-2008, 07:30 AM
What about Kevin Love?? It's because he's white isn't it?

Big Quett
09-15-2008, 08:37 AM

C'mon i dont think u really believe that. If he wasnt with Minny would u honestly believe in him? He was a great "COLLEGE" player but i just dont see that translating in the NBA. He is slow and unathletic. And i dont see him being able to guard anybody on this level. He is overrated just like Tyler Hansbrough and people will see that when ever he comes out.

PhoenixSunsFan1
09-15-2008, 01:58 PM
Beasley will win it all oj mayo could be the best shooter ever.

DreamShaker
09-15-2008, 02:14 PM
C'mon i dont think u really believe that. If he wasnt with Minny would u honestly believe in him? He was a great "COLLEGE" player but i just dont see that translating in the NBA. He is slow and unathletic. And i dont see him being able to guard anybody on this level. He is overrated just like Tyler Hansbrough and people will see that when ever he comes out.

Love is pretty dang strong and although he isn't a freak athlete he is ridiculously skilled and smart....he is much better than TH is....

hockeypro68
09-15-2008, 02:37 PM

I like what Love brings to the game. I wasn't extremely impressed by his play at UCLA, and I think he was picked a little sooner than he's worth, but I guess a big man with an outside shot is a valuable thing in this league.

I feel the same about Russell Westbrook in that he was picked Much sooner than he's worth. Sonics chose Westbrook before much higher projected guards, such as Jerryd Bayless, Eric Gordon, and DJ Augustine.

Finally, there's Danilo Gallinari. Do you guys rememeber all the BOOs and anger in the crowd in NY when this guy was picked 6th by the Knicks? I felt bad, although I knew it'd happen if they picked him. I don't know if Gallinari will be able to come in and contribute right away, but if he's anything like the 'next coming of Bird', as some people say, then I'm interested to follow the kid's development.

NYKnickFanatic
09-15-2008, 03:13 PM
Oden.

SeoulBeatz
09-15-2008, 03:34 PM
some of those point totals are too high, only 4 rookies averaged above 10 points per game last year...

Bound To Lose
09-15-2008, 04:54 PM

Love and Beasley had an almost identical pre-draft combine. Look at the numbers.

hockeypro68
09-15-2008, 04:56 PM
some of those point totals are too high, only 4 rookies averaged above 10 points per game last year...

I disagree. I think this years draft is far more talented than last year's. By leaps and bounds. I feel confidently that at the least, Mayo, Oden, Beasley, and Rose will average double figure scoring.

Bound To Lose
09-15-2008, 05:04 PM
Here's a link:

http://www.mynbadraft.com/NBA-Draft-Combine-Results/

As you can see, nearly Identical.

No Step Vert: Beasley-30 / Love-29.5
Max Vert: Beasley-35 / Love-35
Bench Press: Beasley-19 / Love-18
Lane Agility: Beasley-11.06 / Love-11.17
3/4 Court Sprint: Beasley-3.24 / Love-3.22

PhxGiant
09-15-2008, 05:24 PM
I don't know why but i have a feeling that the ROY is going to be someone that nobody expects to win it, i'm not sure who though.

AntwanN21
09-15-2008, 05:25 PM
Nathain Jawaii Toronto Raptors:clap::clap::clap:

lol no.......but hopefully he has a jamario moon type season and suprises a lot of people.

The ROY is gonna come down to Greg Oden and Michael Beasley and who ever brings they're team farthest.

hockeypro68
09-16-2008, 04:23 AM
Here's a link:

http://www.mynbadraft.com/NBA-Draft-Combine-Results/

As you can see, nearly Identical.

No Step Vert: Beasley-30 / Love-29.5
Max Vert: Beasley-35 / Love-35
Bench Press: Beasley-19 / Love-18
Lane Agility: Beasley-11.06 / Love-11.17
3/4 Court Sprint: Beasley-3.24 / Love-3.22

I'm actually very impressed by that. I didn't think Love was that athletic. Regardless, I also believe that there are immeasurable factors that come into play. Sometimes you don't need to have the best hops, the strongest bench press, or the fastest sprint. There are players that just have the natural gift to ball it UP.

bigmac8675
09-16-2008, 04:42 AM
I think Beasley will win it

Tom81
09-16-2008, 05:12 AM
Greg Oden

arlubas
09-16-2008, 05:18 AM
Beasley will win it all oj mayo could be the best shooter ever.

Have you even watched a single minute of OJ in either HS or college? Yeah, dude got range but he's as streaky as can be. Mayo is more of a pure scorer than a great shooter if you can understand what I'm saying.

arlubas
09-16-2008, 05:22 AM
Love and Beasley had an almost identical pre-draft combine. Look at the numbers.
People always like to reproduce what they read on the various NBA sites. If one of them says Love is unathletic then that's that as far as most posters are concerned.

Glad you posted the combine results cause I would've if you didn't. Love isn't as explosive as Beasley imo but that don't mean he is a chubby unathletic slow moving weirdo. Kevin can ball, he showed that in UCLA and will do the same in the NBA. It's just that the college game suited Love's game more whereas the NBA game suits Beasley's game more.

BrizzleBear
09-16-2008, 05:42 AM
Oden.

blazers=future
09-16-2008, 06:42 AM
rudy fernandez?

i think he'll have better figures than Rose... at least

knowledgeGOD
09-16-2008, 03:59 PM
im gonna have to go with beasley, mayo and oden.. i think derrick rose is wayy to over hyped

Faneik
09-16-2008, 04:29 PM
I'm pretty sure it will be either Mayo, Beasley or Oden.

Rookie Rankings:

Points Leader: Mayo 16 PPG
Rebounds Leader: Oden 10 RPG
Assists Leader: Rose 5.5 APG
Blocks Leader: Oden 2 BPG
Steals Leader: Mayo 1.25 SPG
Efficiency Leader: Mayo 15 EPG

Rookie of the Year --> OJ Mayo

knicks1214
09-16-2008, 04:35 PM
Mayo, as much as I would love for him to average 20 ppg, is not going to do it his rookie year.

Faneik
09-16-2008, 04:39 PM
Mayo, as much as I would love for him to average 20 ppg, is not going to do it his rookie year.

Yeah, you're probably right. I'm going to edit my post from 20 to 16 PPG.

But if he was the 1st option like Durant was last year I think he has the skills to average 20. But since he has Gay on his team, he'll be 2nd option.

hockeypro68
09-16-2008, 04:41 PM
On the team in Memphis where there's ONE other legitimate scoring threat? I actually think Mayo is entirely capable of averaging 20ppg next season. Its not likely, and it won't be easy, but if he is a BALLER like he's supposed to be, then maybe he will.

ShaunRiching9
09-16-2008, 05:13 PM
I took Oden just because he dominates