PDA

View Full Version : Would the Dodgers trade for Beltre this offseason?

UCLADodger
09-14-2008, 03:23 PM
If Casey Blake returns to Cleveland, would the Dodgers be interested in Adrian Beltre? Bill Shaikin of the LA Times points out Beltre still calls Pasadena home.

The 29 year old third basemen is in the midst of this third consecutive 25 homerun season despite a torn ligament in his left thumb. Writes Shaikin:

"Beltre wouldn't mind staying in Seattle, but the Mariners need to hire a general manager and get on with rebuilding. Assuming they do, Beltre would love to come back to the Dodgers. 'If I'm available, I'd be happy to,' he said. 'I don't know what is going to happen. I'd be more than happy to come back to L.A. It's not under my control.'"

Still, the Mariners don't have many trade pieces, need to rebuild, and third base will be in high demand this offseason so Beltre won't come cheap. The Dodgers have given up a lot recently to acquire Manny Ramirez and Greg Maddux and may rather work hard to sign Casey Blake before other teams have a chance. Other options for the Dodgers might be to move Blake Dewitt to third, or pursuing Joe Crede or other less desirable free agents this offseason.

----- MLB Trade Rumors-----

DodgerLove
09-14-2008, 03:37 PM
i thought adrian beltre specifically put a no trade clause to the dodgers in his contract?

LAdiablo
09-14-2008, 03:49 PM
i thought we specifically said no more trade for beltre threads. what are there like twenty?

UCLADodger
09-14-2008, 04:02 PM
The only reason why this was posted was because of Adrians comments regarding the dodgers.

iggypop123
09-14-2008, 04:19 PM
please lets do it. we get draft pics for blake and then we get a thrid baseman who can play defense and has hit 25 HR recently.

mcpeepants23200
09-14-2008, 04:42 PM
please lets do it. we get draft pics for blake and then we get a thrid baseman who can play defense and has hit 25 HR recently.

yeah but what would they want. No way we do this deal if they want one of our best prospects. Beltre only has one year left on his deal and he's not worth someone like McDonald, Dejesus or Lambo.

bestlakersfan
09-14-2008, 04:49 PM
I would trade Xavier Paul, Pierre and $10 million for Beltre. That is absolutely the most I would give up for him.

iggypop123
09-14-2008, 05:03 PM
yeah but what would they want. No way we do this deal if they want one of our best prospects. Beltre only has one year left on his deal and he's not worth someone like McDonald, Dejesus or Lambo.

we would be stupid to even offer that. do something like the blake trade. offer prospects like that but nothing of our best

dodgerphreak
09-14-2008, 05:09 PM
i thought adrian beltre specifically put a no trade clause to the dodgers in his contract?

He does. I remember posting something about that back around the trade deadline.

don'tfireNedCo
09-14-2008, 05:19 PM
I would trade Xavier Paul, Pierre and $10 million for Beltre. That is absolutely the most I would give up for him.

no xavier paul.

he is another player with matt kemp like potential.

and mariners are rebuilding. they are looking to DUMP contracts, not to ADD more in pierre.

not gonna happen.

CHRISDODGERS
09-14-2008, 05:55 PM
i saw Xavier paul play a ways back.... total stud... better contact hitter than Kemp is....

Moon shot
09-14-2008, 06:12 PM

If he didn't I'll buy him one!

bestlakersfan
09-14-2008, 06:16 PM
no xavier paul.

he is another player with matt kemp like potential.

and mariners are rebuilding. they are looking to DUMP contracts, not to ADD more in pierre.

not gonna happen.

i saw Xavier paul play a ways back.... total stud... better contact hitter than Kemp is....

Wow, so you are both saying Xavier Paul is a better hitter tham Matt Kemp? That is unreal. This guys best, BEST, year was this year at hitters paradise in AAA Las Vegas, where he hit .316/.378/.463/.841. He is too much to give up for Beltre along with Pierre? He is a "total stud"? I am one of the guys who's VERY big on prospects and building from within, but to claim either one of what you are saying is more than a stretch.

Also, giving the Mariners $10 million and Pierre, they would be getting him for about $8 million a year, making Pierre more attractive.

Also, before you go and compare Xavier Paul with Kemp, know Kemp hit .363 and .329, respectively in his two season at AAA Las Vegas. Don't compare the two. Kemp is a better athelete, has more power, a better arm, is faster and already has 2 years of ML experience. Not to mention, Kemp's getting better. Another point, Kemp's weakest point, striking out, is something Paul does a hell of a lot more for his power. He hit 9 HRs in AAA this year, and struck out 96 times, his lowest total in three years. Also note, AAA LV is where AJ hit 4 HRs in 31 ABs.

Not saying Paul is horrible, but just don't go there.

Anyways, I'd rather have Blake over Beltre all day so this whole thing is probable pure speculation and hype.

CHRISDODGERS
09-14-2008, 06:23 PM
Wow, so you are both saying Xavier Paul is a better hitter tham Matt Kemp? That is unreal. This guys best, BEST, year was this year at hitters paradise in AAA Las Vegas, where he hit .316/.378/.463/.841. He is too much to give up for Beltre along with Pierre? He is a "total stud"? I am one of the guys who's VERY big on prospects and building from within, but to claim either one of what you are saying is more than a stretch.

Also, giving the Mariners $10 million and Pierre, they would be getting him for about $8 million a year, making Pierre more attractive.

Also, before you go and compare Xavier Paul with Kemp, know Kemp hit .363 and .329, respectively in his two season at AAA Las Vegas. Don't compare the two. Kemp is a better athelete, has more power, a better arm, is faster and already has 2 years of ML experience. Not to mention, Kemp's getting better. Another point, Kemp's weakest point, striking out, is something Paul does a hell of a lot more for his power. He hit 9 HRs in AAA this year, and struck out 96 times, his lowest total in three years. Also note, AAA LV is where AJ hit 4 HRs in 31 ABs.

Anyways, I'd rather have Blake over Beltre all day so this whole thing is probable pure speculation and hype.

i didn't say that Paul was better than Kemp.... that's crazy...

just saying, basically, that he hits for more contact.... more of a linedive hitter

kemp overall is a better player...

Tapptout
09-14-2008, 08:47 PM
I'd still love to have Beltre back in the lineup in LA blue......for the right price

gagnefan38
09-14-2008, 08:58 PM
With Seattle rebuilding it would be a steep price, I'll pass.

4everblue
09-14-2008, 09:07 PM
Here's how it will go

If we take his salary, then its Hu and Stults kind of deal

If they pay his salary, Hu, DY or Paul

I think Frank will overpay a little bit in prospect as long as they pick the majority of his salary, so expect Hu, Paul and maybe Troncoso.

don'tfireNedCo
09-14-2008, 09:08 PM
Wow, so you are both saying Xavier Paul is a better hitter tham Matt Kemp?wrong. I didn't say a word about paul being BETTER than kemp at all. I said he has KEMP-LIKE POTENTIAL. the potential in his speed, contact, lately power, and ability to actually play very good D in CF. I saw paul play against portland beavers, and I was very impressed with his game, versus very unimpressed by John Ford Griffen's game. so please dont put words in my mouth That is unreal. This guys best, BEST, year was this year at hitters paradise in AAA Las Vegas, where he hit .316/.378/.463/.841. has it ever occur to you that maybe this very young fella is just beginning to fugure out how to actually PLAY baseball rather than just getting by with his raw talent? go see this kid play first, then lets have this talk againHe is too much to give up for Beltre along with Pierre? He is a "total stud"? I am one of the guys who's VERY big on prospects and building from within, but to claim either one of what you are saying is more than a stretch.
again my point was that no REBUILDING team in right mind would add PIERRE's contract in the OF, especially they already have a better version of same player playing RF with bucket load of $
...and who is our OWNER? the parkinglot mogul frankie, thats who. you really think he will ever PAY someone NOT TO play for his team? get real
Also, before you go and compare Xavier Paul with Kemp, know Kemp hit .363 and .329, respectively in his two season at AAA Las Vegas.good for you. you know BA. so tell me, whats his SA? Don't compare the two. Kemp is a better athelete, has more power, a better arm, is faster and already has 2 years of ML experience. yes kemp is a better player. I dont think neither of us denied it. I was talking about POTENTIAL and chris was talking about CONTACT only. and kemp is also a year older so what?Not to mention, Kemp's getting better. so is paul. young players are supposed to get betterAnother point, Kemp's weakest point, striking out, is something Paul does a hell of a lot more for his powerdidn't I imply that already? why the hell would I say xavier paul's potential reminds me of kemp? . He hit 9 HRs in AAA this year, and struck out 96 times, his lowest total in three years. Also note, AAA LV is where AJ hit 4 HRs in 31 ABs.
he is also a young athlete who happens to play far better defense than kemp. but you would never know that unless you have seen him play live now, do you?
Not saying Paul is horrible, but just don't go there.you have responded upon assumption that we are saying paul is better than kemp but in fact you are the only one thinking that.

all Im gonna say at this point is that you need to comprehend what you are reading first to understand the entire transcript, before you make an emotional reply

CHRISDODGERS
09-14-2008, 09:46 PM

I never said he was better than kemp... I said he is a better contact hitter than kemp.... damn I hit a nerve...:D

darth550
09-14-2008, 09:51 PM
Forget Beltre already! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

bestlakersfan
09-14-2008, 10:07 PM
all Im gonna say at this point is that you need to comprehend what you are reading first to understand the entire transcript, before you make an emotional reply

All I want to say is your sn name is don'tfireNedCo.

I'm done...

don'tfireNedCo
09-14-2008, 10:14 PM

I'm done...

did you read the whole avatar?

yet you fail another reading comprehension task.

go ask why my name is still dontfire as opposed to my original name fireNed to wrigleyboy25. he'll tell ya

4everblue
09-14-2008, 10:21 PM

I'm done...

He started as FIRENedCo, then changed to dontFireNedCo, then tried to go back to the original but the mods told him to **** off...

don'tfireNedCo
09-14-2008, 10:25 PM
He started as FIRENedCo, then changed to dontFireNedCo, then tried to go back to the original but the mods told him to **** off...

...and I still blame UCLA for convincing me to change it... damn you UCLA!!!:cry:

bestlakersfan
09-14-2008, 10:33 PM

Just goes to show his great consistency in his thoughts and what he thinks of things. Really even keeled, ehhhh.

don'tfireNedCo
09-14-2008, 10:41 PM
Just goes to show his great consistency in his thoughts and what he thinks of things. Really even keeled, ehhhh.

if you lost an argument, accept it like a man. you have something to prove your point, then go ahead

otherwise this type of personal attack, all your doing is called 'baiting'

bestlakersfan
09-14-2008, 10:50 PM
if you lost an argument, accept it like a man. you have something to prove your point, then go ahead

otherwise this type of personal attack, all your doing is called 'baiting'

Haha, lost an argument? Are you kidding me? Keep thinking you won the "argument" buddy. You are totally right, Xavier Paul has "Kemp like potential". That's why every GM has wanted him in every trade we were rumored to be in. Get over it. You are flat out wrong about it. And yea, he is getting better every year. I can't wait until next year when maybe he'll hit 10 HRs and drive in some runs. Keep dreaming... As much as I like Paul he'll be, at best, a 4th OF on a marginal team.

Ohh, and if I wanted to "bait" you, you'd know about it. Stating the truth is not baiting.

southerndodgerf
09-14-2008, 10:51 PM
For the right deal, I could see it happening. They will want to rid themselves of that contract though. I just do not see McCourt picking up more cash. The 3rd base market is horrid. I do see Blake leaving for the Indians. I do not blame him, it is his home. A wet dream would be grabbing Beltre and keeping Manny...imagine this:

Kemp
Ethier
Manny
Beltre
Loney
Dewitt
The Burro/Hu
Martin

You could even swtich Beltre and Manny. Beltre has never been in front of hitter like that. Imagine the fastballs.

southerndodgerf
09-14-2008, 10:52 PM
Can you both cool it? There is no correct answer until the kid hits the majors. He could be the next Manny or the next Grabowski. That is part of the fun of prospects.

4everblue
09-14-2008, 11:05 PM
For the right deal, I could see it happening. They will want to rid themselves of that contract though. I just do not see McCourt picking up more cash. The 3rd base market is horrid. I do see Blake leaving for the Indians. I do not blame him, it is his home. A wet dream would be grabbing Beltre and keeping Manny...imagine this:

Kemp
Ethier
Manny
Beltre
Loney
Dewitt
The Burro/Hu
Martin

You could even swtich Beltre and Manny. Beltre has never been in front of hitter like that. Imagine the fastballs.

What about Furcal??? Gave up on him???

My next year lineup looks like this

Furcal
Ethier
Kemp
Beltre
Jones
Loney
Martin
DeWitt

I dont know why I feel we just wont try that hard to get Manny...

don'tfireNedCo
09-14-2008, 11:06 PM
I've been in enough arguments that led me to disciplinary actions before, I am not interested in taking this "too far" SDF. believe me.

but how come when I am the aggressor I get infractions and when pricks like this one clearly provokes from the rebuttal post and on gets away with it?

N.Z's #1 Dodger
09-14-2008, 11:10 PM
**** Beltre.

Insightful hmm? The way I've understood the situation is he kinda sucked with the Dodgers until LoDuca hooked him up in 2004 with some special stuff. Then sold out on L.A for the Mariners, adding a no trade clause so he never has to return, then when he finally realizes his team is worthless he looks to suck up and return? You guys are suckers for punishment. I'd love to run into a few of you on the streets and claim to be a wallet inspector.

southerndodgerf
09-14-2008, 11:18 PM
I've been in enough arguments that led me to disciplinary actions before, I am not interested in taking this "too far" SDF. believe me.

but how come when I am the aggressor I get infractions and when pricks like this one clearly provokes from the rebuttal post and on gets away with it?

you should note that you infractions last only 10 days where they last a month for others. but yeah, point taken.

bestlakersfan
09-14-2008, 11:21 PM

Haha...

don'tfireNedCo
09-14-2008, 11:21 PM
you should note that you infractions last only 10 days where they last a month for others. but yeah, point taken.

well, thanks.

and I didn't know theirs lasted longer. good to know.

southerndodgerf
09-14-2008, 11:23 PM
Haha...

Don't piss me off.

4everblue
09-14-2008, 11:28 PM
Here comes SDF with THE WHIP!!!

CHRISDODGERS
09-14-2008, 11:44 PM
Oh snap... SDF kickin' names and takin' arse!!

bluekrewFan78
09-15-2008, 12:43 PM
**** Beltre.

Insightful hmm? The way I've understood the situation is he kinda sucked with the Dodgers until LoDuca hooked him up in 2004 with some special stuff. Then sold out on L.A for the Mariners, adding a no trade clause so he never has to return, then when he finally realizes his team is worthless he looks to suck up and return? You guys are suckers for punishment. I'd love to run into a few of you on the streets and claim to be a wallet inspector.

juiced or not the guy has 25 HR this year....great defense...
the whole deal was highlighted by miscommunication and Beltre left the organization upset and hurt....
i want Blake back but he wants to go back to Cleveland....
Beltre will give us pop and great defense plus he can give us another power bat....like it was mentoined earlier just imagine if he has the protection of manny and ethier.....our line-up could be devastating we can have 3 guys hitting around 30HR, I can see Kemp hitting more HRS as well......

darth550
09-15-2008, 01:05 PM
Until someone asks him whether or not he'd be willing to play here it's all speculation. Of course, that's tampering so no one will......

Until then, let the strokathon continue......

bluekrewFan78
09-15-2008, 01:19 PM
Until someone asks him whether or not he'd be willing to play here it's all speculation. Of course, that's tampering so no one will......

come on ebenezer....just speculation....its for fun.....:)

lol......strokathon...

c2thab
09-15-2008, 01:38 PM
It wouldnt hurt to "kick the tires" but it would depend a lot on what Seattle would want and what we'd be willing to give up. But we would also have to rid ourselves of Andruw's or Pierre's contract first especially if we try to sign Manny and CC.

darth550
09-15-2008, 01:44 PM
lol......strokathon...

:)

LAdiablo
09-15-2008, 02:19 PM

you might want to actually read the article, but he's not coming here

bluekrewFan78
09-15-2008, 03:14 PM

why would you say that???
i actually like blake but he is older and his heart is in cleveland..

darth550
09-15-2008, 03:24 PM

I read the SI report. All it said was that Beltre would love to come here, but not that he actually said it.

don'tfireNedCo
09-15-2008, 03:48 PM
beltre is the one that should have been, but never will be.

besides, if he truly wanted to stay a dodger, then he would have fired the scumbag (boras) as his agent.

LAdiablo
09-15-2008, 04:00 PM
why would you say that???
i actually like blake but he is older and his heart is in cleveland..

i don't think blake stays either. but no way we pay beltre esp with the other contracts we need to get done. i think its dewitt and maybe another kid is gonna fill the kent slot.

BlueMouse
09-15-2008, 04:10 PM
i don't think blake stays either. but no way we pay beltre esp with the other contracts we need to get done. i think its dewitt and maybe another kid is gonna fill the kent slot.

I agree. Hopefully we won't have enough money to afford Beltre because we signed other FA's.

BlueZoo
09-16-2008, 10:39 AM
Hopefully, the overrated, overpaid Beltre will stay in the oblivion of the ALW or the Blue Wave or anywhere else other than the LA Dodgers.
He is great at coming in and making the barehanded pickup and throwing out the runner on a bunt or topper down the 3rd baseline, but has no range to his left- he sucks at it.
Haven't we had enough waiting on this guy to come through in the previous 10 years or so before he left?...if we sign him, we deserve what we get...an Andruw clone.

dodgersfan_inPA
09-16-2008, 08:55 PM
^^I'm sorry but no one cept for the Giants deserves an Andruw clone...