PDA

View Full Version : Amare Stoudemire - 'Truth or Myth' article

amare#1
09-14-2008, 06:43 AM
IMO a great article which analyzes Amare's game and potential to become the best big man in the league.

http://slamonline.com/online/2008/09/truth-or-myth-amare-stoudemire/

Tom81
09-14-2008, 08:14 AM
where is the link?

Tom81
09-14-2008, 09:39 AM
Great article nothing to add.
One thing is certain everything is in hand of stat.

PhxGiant
09-14-2008, 03:49 PM
Good article, man its taking forever for the season to start.

kermitheer
09-15-2008, 12:38 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GApDqsCalU8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PCCWmuWCt8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dcPy2O5D3E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1FIzmYMzE8
tired of all the lakers fans

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xvSmWhjkks
lakers again, so shutup

Ive been watchin and reading alot of these forums 4 about 2 years now. I joined 2day cause im sick of seeing these posts of amare and no D. The guy can play D if he gets the right people and staff behind him. We have had coach DA 4 the past 4 1/2yrs now. Hes been anti D and pro O. Im not saying I diss agree with his approach but I feel like I do understand why #1 doesnt play D. The guy said he would improve his jump shot after rookie season, what did he do, hes got won of the most purest shots in the league.
He said he would be D player of the year, and he got surgery.
So give this guy credit. Did he say hes gonna be D player of the year again? No because he new his staff wouldnt help him. And for being the best big man in the league, no hes not, hes been playing the wrong position since his sophmmore year. So give him a break and see what kind of a player he really is.

amare#1
09-15-2008, 12:45 AM
^^^ Welcome to the forum man, glad to see another Amare fan. All some pretty fat blocks you posted. I agree that when Amare says he's gonna do something, he does it. He's never been able to and never has claimed he will be a good defender until now, so based on history I'm gonna trust him!

kermitheer
09-15-2008, 12:49 AM
^^^ Thanks bro..

JPHX
09-15-2008, 01:13 AM
i agree those are all insane blocks esp the lamar odom one. but i guess one could argue that he does not do it on a consistent basis. but he does have a rep for following his word. why wont the season start already!!!!!!!!!

amare#1
09-15-2008, 02:43 AM
why wont the season start already!!!!!!!!!

It's killing me also bro!

Rome
09-15-2008, 03:31 AM
Pretty sure its killing all of us. Wish I could say I won't go on the forums till the season starts but that won't happen lol.

I've never been this hyped for a season like I am with this one. Don't want to get my hopes up though.

lavis
09-15-2008, 05:23 AM
Is it like 6 or 7 weeks for the first Suns game? Can't wait.

Good article.

Bishnoff
09-15-2008, 08:21 AM
Good article except it didn't mention a few important factors including an interesting point from the KTAR article posted a few days ago in another thread discussing STAT's D.

The article stated that Amare’s body isn't suited to stopping C's due to him not having “wide hips” or a “low centre of gravity”. Couple this with the fact that he is undersized for the 5 position (when compared to the likes of Duncan, Jefferson, Howard, Bynum etc.), the absence of any tall help D (with a 6’7” Marion playing the 4) and you can understand why C’s are dropping 30 & 15 on him.

Amare is going to have a huge season; both on offense and defense. He has set a goal to become a good defender, finally has a defensive-minded coach, is playing his correct position against opponents his own size, is confident in his body and will have improved lateral quickness to hold defensive position, will have solid help defense from a 7’1” 325 lbs Centre instead of a 6’7” 200 lbs quasi-PF, will have defensive back-up in the form of Lopez to take the heat when Shaq is resting… I know this is all only talk but who can seriously doubt him with this much supporting evidence?

I would like to see whether this forum’s “Devil’s Advocate”, Voodoo Alchemy, or anyone else for that matter, can come up with proof of another team from the last few seasons who had a 6’10” Centre and a 6’7” PF that actually had good interior defense? D’Antoni played Marion and STAT out of position for a reason: offensive speed at the demise of interior defense. I don’t think this point has been raised yet but I see it as the most influential factor in the argument over whether Amare is a good defender.

And to predict the obvious response, Duncan is a sheep (Centre) in wolf’s clothing (PF) that STAT has been forced to guard on numerous occasions. The only reason why Duncan is played at the 4 is because when he was young, the Spurs had a more suitable Centre in the form of David Robinson; and nowadays with his lack of speed and good mid-range jumper, he is too valuable at PF to be wasted on the low block.

hrf821
09-15-2008, 03:30 PM
Good article except it didn't mention a few important factors including an interesting point from the KTAR article posted a few days ago in another thread discussing STAT's D.

The article stated that Amare’s body isn't suited to stopping C's due to him not having “wide hips” or a “low centre of gravity”. Couple this with the fact that he is undersized for the 5 position (when compared to the likes of Duncan, Jefferson, Howard, Bynum etc.), the absence of any tall help D (with a 6’7” Marion playing the 4) and you can understand why C’s are dropping 30 & 15 on him.

Amare is going to have a huge season; both on offense and defense. He has set a goal to become a good defender, finally has a defensive-minded coach, is playing his correct position against opponents his own size, is confident in his body and will have improved lateral quickness to hold defensive position, will have solid help defense from a 7’1” 325 lbs Centre instead of a 6’7” 200 lbs quasi-PF, will have defensive back-up in the form of Lopez to take the heat when Shaq is resting… I know this is all only talk but who can seriously doubt him with this much supporting evidence?

I would like to see whether this forum’s “Devil’s Advocate”, Voodoo Alchemy, or anyone else for that matter, can come up with proof of another team from the last few seasons who had a 6’10” Centre and a 6’7” PF that actually had good interior defense? D’Antoni played Marion and STAT out of position for a reason: offensive speed at the demise of interior defense. I don’t think this point has been raised yet but I see it as the most influential factor in the argument over whether Amare is a good defender.

And to predict the obvious response, Duncan is a sheep (Centre) in wolf’s clothing (PF) that STAT has been forced to guard on numerous occasions. The only reason why Duncan is played at the 4 is because when he was young, the Spurs had a more suitable Centre in the form of David Robinson; and nowadays with his lack of speed and good mid-range jumper, he is too valuable at PF to be wasted on the low block.

Beautiful Post

JPHX
09-15-2008, 05:21 PM
if shaq missing games is the problem, i dont see why we cant keep his minutes down to a minimum. Lopez and amare is just as good or even more athletic. we couldnt do this last season cause he had no real backup. i dont see shaq missing a significant amount of games this season.

PhxGiant
09-15-2008, 05:47 PM
I see Shaq playing somewhere between 65-75 games, any games he misses will be due to rest similar to Steve sitting out games.

hrf821
09-15-2008, 08:19 PM
I agree with the Shaq posts. The exfactor for this team is Aaron Nelson and his boys. Those dudes are like a fountain of youth. Nash's rise to SUPERstardom, Amare's return from microfracture, Hill playing like he was 20 - until the apendectomy - all of that is a result of the training staff IMO - they're going to get shaq to a weight and on a regimine that will bring out the positves he still has left and if he stays motivated this could be sort of a through back year for him, not 20+ like the past but just consitency and one hell of a role player.

amare#1
09-15-2008, 10:54 PM
if shaq missing games is the problem, i dont see why we cant keep his minutes down to a minimum. Lopez and amare is just as good or even more athletic. we couldnt do this last season cause he had no real backup. i dont see shaq missing a significant amount of games this season.

I agree with the Shaq posts. The exfactor for this team is Aaron Nelson and his boys. Those dudes are like a fountain of youth. Nash's rise to SUPERstardom, Amare's return from microfracture, Hill playing like he was 20 - until the apendectomy - all of that is a result of the training staff IMO - they're going to get shaq to a weight and on a regimine that will bring out the positves he still has left and if he stays motivated this could be sort of a through back year for him, not 20+ like the past but just consitency and one hell of a role player.

Completely agree with both posts.

Bishnoff
09-17-2008, 08:04 AM

This is a very good point. We are blessed with the best trainers in the league and if I was to single out just one miracle they have performed it is Amare’s recovery. So many brilliant players (including our own Grant Hill) have succumbed to career-destroying injuries; if that had of happened to STAT it would have been one of the biggest tragedies in modern basketball. There’s not much more inspirational than watching Amare annihilate Duncan on the offensive end in the 04-05 Western Conference Finals. When I heard he was to undergo surgery in the off-season I was devastated and thought his career was over.

hrf821
09-17-2008, 01:12 PM
Agreed - I actually have that WCF on tape and watch them from time to time. Amare was a beast then - obviously his game is more refined but I want to see Amare play like he did that year again - and the finger tip block on Timmy - beautiful.