PDA

View Full Version : Lopez: "Karl plans to employ a more aggressive defensive style"

DenButsu
09-13-2008, 08:31 PM
Karl touts Nuggets' talent but sees tough challenge
Coach says loss of Camby, Najera will force change
By Aaron J. Lopez, Friday, September 12, 2008

"We have probably our most difficult challenge since I've been here," Karl said during an interview with the Rocky Mountain News on Friday, "but that's fun, too. If the chemistry goes the right way and the ball bounces the right way, we can be better than we've ever been."...

The loss of his two best defensive players in a span of one week left Karl momentarily stunned. With nearly two months to process the information, the coach has had time to regain his optimism.

"Eddie and Marcus happened in about a seven-day period of time. I don't care how strong and tough you are, that was a big hit," he said. "As the summer's gone on, you realize you've still got first-class players."...

"We've opened the window of responsibility up to four great young players - Nene, Melo, J.R. and L.K," Karl said. "I think good teams become great more often from within than they do from without."

A classic case of rationalization? Perhaps. But Karl also understands that owner Stan Kroenke was not going to continue living well above the NBA's luxury tax for a team that has been unable to win in the playoffs.

"You've got to sit back and understand that we are competitive people and we are not happy," Karl said.

"I still think Stan Kroenke is a great owner. He wants to win big, but he wants to get more financial responsibility into the contracts. I respect that, and I think sometimes a little bit less is better in sports. We've had maybe too much talent and the talent has gotten in our way at times."

Without Camby to anchor the interior, Karl plans to employ a more aggressive defensive style in an attempt to take advantage of his team's speed and athleticism.

Karl is hoping Anthony can build upon his versatile performance with the gold medal-winning U.S. Olympic team, and his young star appears ready to take another step toward being a better all-around player.rockymountainnews (http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/sep/12/smith-feels-back-home-nuggets/)

"Necessity does everything well."
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Man, I sure hope so, Ralphie. :cheers:

C-Dub
09-13-2008, 11:40 PM
I think we will be better defensively because NENE is just better at it than Camby and the players wont depend solemly on Camby to do it, so they will step up more. Good for Karl, now enforce it and stop talking about it

liliverson819
09-14-2008, 02:05 AM
"I think good teams become great more often from within than they do from without."

thats strange george because it seems to me that the Lakers and Celtics made the NBA finals because they added pieces from the outside not from within.
hmmm

DenButsu
09-15-2008, 12:04 AM
thats strange george because it seems to me that the Lakers and Celtics made the NBA finals because they added pieces from the outside not from within.
hmmm

That is a very solid point.

There are other examples that could be pointed to, though... Atlanta in the playoffs last time comes to mind right off the top of my head... where to rise to the occasion, the team just had to look in the mirror and dig a little deeper. I think with our particular roster, the talent that's there, the idea that the potential we've got (even minus Camby and Najera) has yet to truly be unlocked is pretty valid.

BRAVE KID
09-15-2008, 12:54 AM
Without Camby to anchor the interior, Karl plans to employ a more aggressive defensive style in an attempt to take advantage of his team's speed and athleticism.

the main part in the article. He is going to try to find a defensive scheme that works for the team. Before it was just camby and nareja do all the work, it is going to be the team playing defense not just a few players so yea we very well may have a better defense.

Kohaku
09-15-2008, 02:39 PM
Couldn't he realize this 2 years ago?

DenButsu
09-15-2008, 09:19 PM
Couldn't he realize this 2 years ago?

:laugh2: Apparently not.

btw, I think you need the closing "[/center]" code at the end of your sig. :cool:

liliverson819
09-15-2008, 10:44 PM
he prolly realized it but hes to afraid to tell ai to play any differently then hes been playing. and ai is the leader imo on the team because of his experience although i think melo needs to take full reigns now

C-Dub
09-15-2008, 11:18 PM
i disagree, ai should be full leader one year and let melo worry about improving his game, then next year, AI or no, Melo should then take over

SlowMo
09-16-2008, 01:04 PM
I agree, AI should be the leader for this year. He's much more of a vocal leader than Melo is, and I don't think Melo can steop into that role just because he's our young star player.

He first needs to demonstrate some discipline on and off court before he can really take that leadership role. At this moment, I would almost go as far as saying the JR is demonstrating more leadership than Melo.

... By the way, this is nothing against Melo. I wouldn't trade him for any player in the league, but I think he'd play better if he had a leader to look up to for a while. He's a great player, and might be a leader on the team someday, just not right now.

3RDASYSTEM
09-16-2008, 03:48 PM
Its Funny How Everyone Keeps Sayin Nene Is Better Defender Than Camby, So If They Relied So Heavily On Camby And Now Hes Gone, That Means Nene Will Take His Place And They Will Do Same With Him Right, I Dont Understand How Trade Will Make Team Better When Its Not For Like A Artest Who Is Def Minded Player,but Hey I Could Be Wrong, Playin D Is All Hustle N Heart N If U Got Talent Then U End Of Phenom At D (mj/rodman/pippen)

DenButsu
09-16-2008, 07:02 PM
Its Funny How Everyone Keeps Sayin Nene Is Better Defender Than Camby

Because Nene manned right up to TD in the 2007 playoffs, while Camby got steamrolled by Gasol in 2008. In a nutshell. Nene won't get as many blocks or rebounds, but our interior defense will allow less scoring.

3RDASYSTEM
09-16-2008, 08:18 PM
Yeah He Manned Up Duncan And Was In Foul Trouble Every Game For It, All Im Sayin Is If Nene Is Better Interior D And They Played Awful D With A Defensive Player Of Yr Center In Camby, Why All Of A Sudden Would They Transform, Only Way To Improve Will Be Based On Coaching Staff Scheme, Where Is Dwayne Casey At They Need To Sign Him As Asst For D, He Right There Wit That Celtic Asst, At Least I Think So

DenButsu
09-16-2008, 11:01 PM
Well, I think you answered your own question there. Better defensive chemistry, better team D. The ways in which Camby was a defensive liability are often overlooked. He made K-Mart and Najera work overtime in their on-ball defense. There will be better balance with Nene truly holding the middle down.

Beno7500
09-17-2008, 12:20 AM
They need D badly

3RDASYSTEM
09-17-2008, 02:35 AM
Its More Like I Answered Your Question, Cuz If I Recall Nugget Players Always Sayin We Knew We Had Camby Behind Us To Erase Shots If We Get Beat, And They Got Beat All The Time By Slashers..so Thats My Point,why Would U Start Playin D Now That U Dont Have An Eraser Behind U,see How Messed Up Mental Approach Is On D..u Should Play Hard No Matter Wat Type Of Chemistry U Have Or Who Iz In Your Lineup, So If The Scheme Isnt In Place It Doesnt Matter If Nene Is There To Bang Or Play Better Man D Cuz Iverson/melo/smith/linas Have To Stop Gettin Blown By And Stay In Front Of Someone, That Would Have Also Helped Camby Alot..i Jus Feel It Was More Scheme/gameplan/lack Of Effort Thats Why They Went Out And Got Those Type Of Players This Offseason, So If Karl Keeps His Word They Will Be Better Jus From Effort Of Coach Staff To Actually Do Somethin Other Than Playin A High School Zone
Remember Philly had Mutombo in paint as eraser when they went to Finals but imagine how tough Philly was wit perimeter D, ya had to work to get in paint and thats the mental approach Nuggets should have from day one this and every yr if ya want to be a champion or play near/at champion level