PDA

View Full Version : Who will lead the Rangers in scoring in 08-09?

redwhiteandblue
09-13-2008, 01:37 PM
These things are everywhere but in here, so I figured I'd try to generate some more discusion outside of Sundin/Shanny.

Pretty straight forward question though. The unique thing about the Rangers is that their offense has no pure Superstar to lead the pack. There's no Jagr anymore, nobody who's expected to totally lead the way and carry the team. Be the catalyst. The closest player the Rangers have to fitting that mold is Scott Gomez, one of the elite playmakers in the game. That's not to say though that the offense doesn't hold some players with the seroius potential to challenge Gomer for the title of Rangers Scoring Champ, formerly held and vacated by Captain Jaromir Jagr. So the question is who get's your vote, and why?

redwhiteandblue
09-13-2008, 01:40 PM
My vote went to Gomer. I think someone like Naslund or Nik Z could challenge, but since he actually has the talent to play with he could do some more damage this year. I'm hoping for 80 points from this kid.

That's not to say Jagr wasn't talented on the wing last year, it just didn't matter as him and Gomer had NO chemistry.

SLY WILLIAMS
09-13-2008, 04:32 PM
I went with Gomer as well but we could have several 60-80 point scorers if things go well. :)

messleetch94
09-13-2008, 05:24 PM
I have to go with Gomer. If he centers a line with Naslund and zherdev, will will easily lead the Rangers in scoring. we will score around 20 himself, but his assists will be outstanding

letsgorangers27
09-14-2008, 03:03 PM
Gomez leads the team in points and Zherdev resurrects as the leading goal scorer

t3hg00se
09-14-2008, 09:37 PM
I'm saying Zherdev, because if I I'm right, I can say I told you so!

and if I'm wrong, no one will remember anyway.

=)

messleetch94
09-14-2008, 11:45 PM
I agree with Zherdev as the leading goal scorer. gomez is one of the best playmakers in the league, and from the videos I've seen, Zherdev can really finish. I'm sure there will be plenty of ESPN top 10 highlights.

shtimp7
09-16-2008, 08:55 AM
has everyone forgotten about drury...i think gomez wil take it but drury shoould def be right there with him not far behind at all

redwhiteandblue
09-16-2008, 03:04 PM
has everyone forgotten about drury...i think gomez wil take it but drury shoould def be right there with him not far behind at all

I kinda agree. If you look at Drury's best years he's been beneficial of the team around him. If he doesn't benefit to much then he's more of just a mediocre player, point wise. As we all know though even when he's a mediocre player point wise, he's still a genius of a player period. He'll take the body, albeit not alot, but he'll sacrifice his body (and face Jed Ortmeyer style) to block a shot, he's always there to back up his teammates, hes a leader and a lockerroom wizard. He's the kind of guy whos the glue for a team, he keeps it all together.

Still though, if Naslund works out, and Zherdev, our first PP could be pretty good. Naslund-Gomez-Zherdev with Redden and Drury on our points.

messleetch94
09-16-2008, 05:53 PM
I'm not taking anything away from Drury. He did score 25 goals, majority centering the third line. Plus he didn't find himself to late in the season. He is not going to lead the team in scoring. He's not a finesse playmaker. He's more a gritty in your face, go to the net guy. Even so, I'm glad he's on the Rangers.

MetsJets0809
09-16-2008, 08:10 PM
It will most likely be Drury or Gomez, but this Zherdov kid could maybe come out of nowhere to lead them. who knows

shtimp7
09-17-2008, 10:24 AM
without any of the veteran old guys around would that make gomez the captain ... i hope not, he doesnt seem like a captain type. i guess drury would get the patch
wat do u think

mlisica19
09-17-2008, 11:22 PM
I feel Drury will lead the team with a career goal stat. Last year he was mostly on the 2nd power play and 3rd line, and was leading scorer... now hes at least 2nd line and will get more playing time...

zherdev will also be up there

Spock
09-24-2008, 04:58 PM
I went with Gomez he kicked *** last season and didn't he lead the team in points last season? (I could be wrong)